• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Speaking of stages makes me think of bar none the hardest thing to picture about K. Rool in Smash: him on various stages. It's easy to think of him on something like Battlefield. But seeing him in stages like Wuhu Island or classics like Hyrule Temple is gonna be pretty crazy to me, let alone in the 3DS version (these will probably be the only times K. Rool appears on the Wii U and 3DS lol).

I'll probably make an effort to play as him on every single stage at least once.
Imagine him on the Nintendogs stage lol.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I just thought I'd share a little victory of mine - I finally beat Skowl in Tropical Freeze, and what a way to end a night!

Took around 5-6 tries to finally get him, but I've finally moved on to the next level!

Night, Kutthroats!
But I disapprove of the image of K. Rool holding Isaac's skull (This ain't MK) and the artist's attitude towards the other characters. A king must always be aware of the pieces around him - sometimes he need to trust them more closely. And I support lots of characters outside of K. Rool, and having an elitist attitude is not a good idea to give the other support bases. It gives off a bad vibe, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I just thought I'd share a little victory of mine - I finally beat Skowl in Tropical Freeze, and what a way to end a night!

Took around 5-6 tries to finally get him, but I've finally moved on to the next level!

Night, Kutthroats!
But I disapprove of the image of K. Rool holding Isaac's skull (This ain't MK) and the artist's attitude towards the other characters. A king must always be aware of the pieces around him - sometimes he need to trust them more closely. And I support lots of characters outside of K. Rool, and having an elitist attitude is not a good idea to give the other support bases. It gives off a bad vibe, you know?
Shao Kahn Rool anyone?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I Were Designing K. Rool #4 (yes this is now a regular feature):

I imagine flat, open stages would benefit K. Rool. A stage where the only avenues of approach are either from the front / back or just overhead would be useful for him: he can cover the stage with hazards and make approaching very difficult, especially for pure rushdown characters like Captain Falcon or Roy.

That said, platforms could be beneficial too. Imagine setting up traps at either side of a platform while standing directly underneath it, thereby ensuring the opponent's ability to approach from the platform is compromised. This is what I like to call the "Robin Effect": covering the direct sides underneath a platform with a trap (in Robin's case, Arcfire; in K. Rool's case, it could be a spiked kannonball or an electric device) to close off the opponent's approach options. This would tie into K. Rool's stage-control abilities and make it difficult for his foe to get anywhere near him. He could also punish opponents who try to approach overhead from a platform, either by charging a projectile from a distance and waiting for them to land, or tossing out a trap just as the unsuspecting foe falls through the platform. The disadvantage with platforms is that it'd be difficult to get a clean hit in with projectiles without setting up well in advance, though since I imagine adaptability would be among K. Rool's strongest traits, I think it's a fairly easily mitigated drawback.

On the opposite end of the topographical spectrum, I imagine tiny stages with cramped quarters would be hell for K. Rool. Unless he can get an immediate advantage and set up traps very quickly, he'd be constantly pushed into the corner and would have to fight for his space without much room to maneuver. Even if he did manage to get the upper hand with his traps or projectiles, he'd still have to maintain a constant offensive to ensure his space isn't compromised. With compact space, K. Rool would have to make sure he's on top of his game at all times, lest he be forced into an unfavourable position and switch to "damage reduction / get off of me" mode.

This is obviously theorycrafting, but based on my experience playing defensive zoners, I think the following stages would be good counterpicks for K. Rool:

- Final Destination / Omega Mode stages
- Town & City
- Halberd
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Duck Hunt

In contrast, I think the following stages would be poor counterpicks for K. Rool:

- Battlefield / Miiverse
- Smashville
- Castle Siege
- Kongo Jungle 64

The other transforming stages (Delfino Plaza and Skyloft) could go either way, depending on the nature of the transition, though overall I'm gonna lean towards them being poor counterpicks, as he would have to constantly reevaluate his tactics and re-establish stage control every time the stage shifts; not to mention the "neutral" transitions are essentially akin to Battlefield, which would be difficult for him to adapt to at the best of times.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Seriously how would King K Rool not be like the second heaviest character in the game?

Not only is he "overly sexy" but that blunderbuss must weigh as much as Dedede's hammer.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
If I Were Designing K. Rool #4 (yes this is now a regular feature):

I imagine flat, open stages would benefit K. Rool. A stage where the only avenues of approach are either from the front / back or just overhead would be useful for him: he can cover the stage with hazards and make approaching very difficult, especially for pure rushdown characters like Captain Falcon or Roy.

That said, platforms could be beneficial too. Imagine setting up traps at either side of a platform while standing directly underneath it, thereby ensuring the opponent's ability to approach from the platform is compromised. This is what I like to call the "Robin Effect": covering the direct sides underneath a platform with a trap (in Robin's case, Arcfire; in K. Rool's case, it could be a spiked kannonball or an electric device) to close off the opponent's approach options. This would tie into K. Rool's stage-control abilities and make it difficult for his foe to get anywhere near him. He could also punish opponents who try to approach overhead from a platform, either by charging a projectile from a distance and waiting for them to land, or tossing out a trap just as the unsuspecting foe falls through the platform. The disadvantage with platforms is that it'd be difficult to get a clean hit in with projectiles without setting up well in advance, though since I imagine adaptability would be among K. Rool's strongest traits, I think it's a fairly easily mitigated drawback.

On the opposite end of the topographical spectrum, I imagine tiny stages with cramped quarters would be hell for K. Rool. Unless he can get an immediate advantage and set up traps very quickly, he'd be constantly pushed into the corner and would have to fight for his space without much room to maneuver. Even if he did manage to get the upper hand with his traps or projectiles, he'd still have to maintain a constant offensive to ensure his space isn't compromised. With compact space, K. Rool would have to make sure he's on top of his game at all times, lest he be forced into an unfavourable position and switch to "damage reduction / get off of me" mode.

This is obviously theorycrafting, but based on my experience playing defensive zoners, I think the following stages would be good counterpicks for K. Rool:

- Final Destination / Omega Mode stages
- Town & City
- Halberd
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Duck Hunt

In contrast, I think the following stages would be poor counterpicks for K. Rool:

- Battlefield / Miiverse
- Smashville
- Castle Siege
- Kongo Jungle 64

The other transforming stages (Delfino Plaza and Skyloft) could go either way, depending on the nature of the transition, though overall I'm gonna lean towards them being poor counterpicks, as he would have to constantly reevaluate his tactics and re-establish stage control every time the stage shifts; not to mention the "neutral" transitions are essentially akin to Battlefield, which would be difficult for him to adapt to at the best of times.
Platforms become especially relevant if he gets a cannonball drop move. Smashville's moving one in particular could mess up traps that way.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Seriously how would King K Rool not be like the second heaviest character in the game?

Not only is he "overly sexy" but that blunderbuss must weigh as much as Dedede's hammer.
I doubt he would have the blunderbuss out at all times. It's not that central to him, unlike Dedede's hammer. I expect him to just pull it out for his special, like Snake's Nikita missile.

:231:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Speaking of stages makes me think of bar none the hardest thing to picture about K. Rool in Smash: him on various stages. It's easy to think of him on something like Battlefield. But seeing him in stages like Wuhu Island or classics like Hyrule Temple is gonna be pretty crazy to me, let alone in the 3DS version (these will probably be the only times K. Rool appears on the Wii U and 3DS lol).

I'll probably make an effort to play as him on every single stage at least once.

EDIT: That said, when I try to envision his moves, my mind defaults to Hyrule Temple, so... there's that.
Maybe Hyrule Temple is just that awesome it comes naturally?

Anyway, I'm kinda sad they don't seem to intend to "catch up" on the Palutena's Guidance, like once all the characters are released they'd get the actors back in to do all the DLC once the DLC is done coming out. I'd like to see what Pit, Viridi, and Palutena have to say about the King.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I doubt he would have the blunderbuss out at all times. It's not that central to him, unlike Dedede's hammer. I expect him to just pull it out for his special, like Snake's Nikita missile.

:231:
True but still I consider King K still to be pretty heavy, at least heavier than DK

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Because he and DK are both muscular? They could do a muscle contest that way. (Actually, Alex Louis Armstrong vs Franky the cyborg doing pose would be awesome)
Can I just have Alex Louise Armstrong vs. DK please?

Please? :shades:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Strap on your tinfoil hats, it's time for a krazy konspiracy theory. The Retro DK games are prequels to the Rare/Paon ones!

Many years ago, a royal crocodile and a walrus fall in love.They are married and have two sons. Both grow up to be marauding and conquest hungry individuals, who prefer seafaring combat, as both of their parents have a proclivity for water. While one of them eventually ascends to the throne, the other one manages to find a magic horn that has the ability to freeze. He begins to see it's use for conquest.

Fastforward many years. On DK Island, Diddy and DK live together with Cranky. No Dixie because Diddy hadn't met her yet. Then Tikis attack and are defeated. Diddy meets Dixie, and they get together.

A few years later, the ice horn wielding son, now having gathered an armada and a crew, sets sail looking for lands to pillage and conquer. He and his 'Snowmads' eventually happen across DK Island. They forcefully evict DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky, and take it for themselves, freezing it. The Kongs work their way back, and defeat the walrus, sending him into his fleet, destroying it. However victory was not without a cost. The melting ice caused severe flooding, that eroded and changed the landscape of DK Island. One mountain peak refused to melt, and stayed perpetually snowy, earning the name 'Gorilla Glacier'. The sometimes trying journey had also made Cranky face the reality that he was not as young as he was during the glory days, and he quit adventuring to take up a supporting role for his grandson and friends.

When the walrus' brother heard about this defeat, he saw it as a chance to not only avenge his brothers defeat, but to prove himself a better conqueror. He dispatched spies to study the Kongs, and saw that their diet mainly consisted of bananas from their hoard. Reasoning that they would be far easier to defeat if the were weak and anemic from starvation, he ordered his forces to steal the banana hoard, and sent his army across the island. Thus, a legendary struggle began...

I was really bored at work, thinking about how similar Fredrik and Rool are. I entertained the thought that maybe there's a connection, and came up with this. Yes, I was extremely bored.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm having the same feeling as you, @StormC. For the life of me, I just can't imagine what King K. Rool will look like when he's fighting. It's weird, becuase some of the other characters I want (Inkling, Balloon Fighter) are so easy for me to envision, but my mind just can't picture what K. Rool will look like running and jumping on stages like Peach's Castle 64 or even Final Destination. I guess that'll just make it more exciting if the King were to be included!

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Strap on your tinfoil hats, it's time for a krazy konspiracy theory. The Retro DK games are prequels to the Rare/Paon ones!

Many years ago, a royal crocodile and a walrus fall in love.They are married and have two sons. Both grow up to be marauding and conquest hungry individuals, who prefer seafaring combat, as both of their parents have a proclivity for water. While one of them eventually ascends to the throne, the other one manages to find a magic horn that has the ability to freeze. He begins to see it's use for conquest.

Fastforward many years. On DK Island, Diddy and DK live together with Cranky. No Dixie because Diddy hadn't met her yet. Then Tikis attack and are defeated. Diddy meets Dixie, and they get together.

A few years later, the ice horn wielding son, now having gathered an armada and a crew, sets sail looking for lands to pillage and conquer. He and his 'Snowmads' eventually happen across DK Island. They forcefully evict DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky, and take it for themselves, freezing it. The Kongs work their way back, and defeat the walrus, sending him into his fleet, destroying it. However victory was not without a cost. The melting ice caused severe flooding, that eroded and changed the landscape of DK Island. One mountain peak refused to melt, and stayed perpetually snowy, earning the name 'Gorilla Glacier'. The sometimes trying journey had also made Cranky face the reality that he was not as young as he was during the glory days, and he quit adventuring to take up a supporting role for his grandson and friends.

When the walrus' brother heard about this defeat, he saw it as a chance to not only avenge his brothers defeat, but to prove himself a better conqueror. He dispatched spies to study the Kongs, and saw that their diet mainly consisted of bananas from their hoard. Reasoning that they would be far easier to defeat if the were weak and anemic from starvation, he ordered his forces to steal the banana hoard, and sent his army across the island. Thus, a legendary struggle began...

I was really bored at work, thinking about how similar Fredrik and Rool are. I entertained the thought that maybe there's a connection, and came up with this. Yes, I was extremely bored.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I can see Kaptain K. Rool happening. It's by far and away his most iconic and notorious kostume.

By comparison, Baron is from the under-appreciated sequel, Krusha isn't really too different to King and Pilot never really happened. If Sakurai wants to go all-out with the fanservice, then yeah, I can see Baron and maybe Krusha happening.

But really, I'd be okay with just Kaptain.

Hell, I'd be okay with just King, come to it.

Kaptain would be nice though.
plz based sakurai

kaptain k. rool for smash
Is Pilot k.Rool real/canon?

D

Deleted member

Sort of. It was going to appear in Diddy Kong Pilot, which was never publicly released. In-game images still exist of it, so it's technically real, albeit non-canon?
Supposedly Shiek's design in Brawl was based on unused concept art from Twilight Princess (a game where she doesn't appear), so it would not be the first time that a character's design is based on beta content. (although Shiek was a different situation).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Supposedly Shiek's design in Brawl was based on unused concept art from Twilight Princess (a game where she doesn't appear), so it would not be the first time that a character's design is based on beta content. (although Shiek was a different situation).
Yeah, that's true.

The reason I think Pilot K. Rool is unlikely is because it's an alt costume, so there's no reason for it to be added in the first place; unlike Sheik, who was going to be in the game anyway and just happened to have concept art that they could base her default design off of.

Incidentally, can you edit your quote so it matches the original post?

Sorry, OCD tendencies~ :3

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Sort of. It was going to appear in Diddy Kong Pilot, which was never publicly released. In-game images still exist of it, so it's technically real, albeit non-canon?
I myself consider it head canon but yeah I don't think it's officially canon.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that's true.

The reason I think Pilot K. Rool is unlikely is because it's an alt costume, so there's no reason for it to be added in the first place; unlike Sheik, who was going to be in the game anyway and just happened to have concept art that they could base her default design off of.

Incidentally, can you edit your quote so it matches the original post?

Sorry, OCD tendencies~ :3
Do it as you please, Wintropy. I also think that the Green Baron (A.K.A Pilot K. Rool) is unlikely despite beign cool as ****.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Do it as you please, Wintropy. I also think that the Green Baron (A.K.A Pilot K. Rool) is unlikely despite beign cool as ****.
No I mean can you edit the quote you quoted from me to fit the original message which I edited?

Sorry.

I do like the idea that, if Krusha was added as an alt, he'd have the Smash logo on his belt. It's a small detail I've seen in most renditions of him in this thread, but it's definitely something I could see Sakurai including for the chuckles~

D

Deleted member

No I mean can you edit the quote you quoted from me to fit the original message which I edited?

Sorry.

I do like the idea that, if Krusha was added as an alt, he'd have the Smash logo on his belt. It's a small detail I've seen in most renditions of him in this thread, but it's definitely something I could see Sakurai including for the chuckles~
Eh......what was the original message? (sorry if it is a stupid question).

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Eh......what was the original message? (sorry if it is a stupid question).
There you go~

Sorry for that, folks~

Y'know, on the subject of a Smash-exclusive kostume, I would love to see a wrestler-themed K. Rool. He could have a luchador mask, tight spandex outfit and a showboating attitude to rival that of King Krusha K. Rool!

Now he just needs a name.

El Kokodrilo K. Rool?

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I don't know, I love both characters but Knuckles has two super forms in the Sonic games then there's the Archie comics where Sonic characters are super OP..
It'll be tough.
Well DK has expandong. And showering foes with coconut creampies. End of discussion.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About the Death Battle, which I am excited about, I am rooting for Knuckles, one of my favorite characters. I do think Donkey Kong has a chance, since he punched a whole moon out of orbit once.

Plus, his coconut gun can fire in spurts. if it shoots Knuckles, it's gonna hurt!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Whoa there, DK Vine. whoa.

Man, I actually like this theory. Makes me want to see K. Rool and Freddy in the same game.

Top Bottom