• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I heard about the new copyright TM on the best king. Something tells this doesn't mean anything, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
I don't think it means -that- much, but its awesome that they marked K. Rool's name as TM when they've never done it before.

btw someone tell me whats with this trademark? I haven't been on to much
Ok, here's what I need to clarify about trademarks.

There's a trademark (TM) and there's a REGISTERED trademark (its basically a copyright symbol with an R instead of a C). A registered trademark means that a company lays claim to the name of this character, game, platform, movie, etc., and has paid to officially register it with the government in question (in this case it was NA, so it'd be US).

This isn't a registered trademark, its just a normal trademark. It means that they're laying claim to the name "King K. Rool" and they don't want other people to use that name. Whether you register it or not, you can still claim the name as a trademark and if you've got proof that the name belongs to you it usually works out fine, registering it just makes it easier in court cases.

Essentially, its for marketing purposes. That means they want that name to be associated exclusively with Nintendo. Which honestly is kinda pointless for just a virtual console release...

EDIT:
Here's a clarification on the trademark issue:
http://howconceptual.com/tm-symbol/

The reason I know about this is because I already did all this research for my own works. You DO NOT HAVE TO OFFICIALLY FILE with the government to use the "TM" symbol. It just means you lay claim to that name, and that's what's interesting about this.

I've been trying to clarify this from the start, but people have been getting confused, and vaanrose complicates things as well.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
There's a difference between a registered trademark and a trademark. Very rarely are trademarks registered unless it pertains to the name of a game. This is why "Diddy Kong" appears in the US trademark database but "Rosalina" doesn't, even though Nintendo owns the rights to both characters. Unless the next Donkey Kong Country game is subtitled "King K. Rool's Revenge", don't expect his name to show up on any federal databases. However, the fact that his name was trademarked seemingly out of the blue does raise some questions; why now, even though the character hasn't appeared in a game since 2008? It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's certainly worth discussing. Just kidding. This confirms that K. Rool is coming. All aboard the hype train. Choo choo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's a difference between a registered trademark and a trademark. Very rarely are trademarks registered unless it pertains to the name of a game. This is why "Diddy Kong" appears in the US trademark database but "Rosalina" doesn't, even though Nintendo owns the rights to both characters. Unless the next Donkey Kong Country game is subtitled "King K. Rool's Revenge", don't expect his name to show up on any federal databases. However, the fact that his name was trademarked seemingly out of the blue does raise some questions; why now, even though the character hasn't appeared in a game since 2008? It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's certainly worth discussing. Just kidding. This confirms that K. Rool is coming. All aboard the hype train. Choo choo.
This is what I've been trying to clarify as well. Its hilarious but, no, vaanrose doesn't know everything. He's definitely wrong on this issue. Yes, they haven't registered the trademark to K. Rool, but they are laying claim to the the name.

Honestly though... its shocking that Diddy Kong is actually a registered trademark. That's impressive. You don't do that except for BIG stars.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just meant in Smash, but that would be amazing too!
Oh ok lol.

Just another quick note of the trademark business. I don't think it means anything for the future, but it does mean Nintendo considers K. Rool marketable, and that's great at least.

StormC

Smash Hero
I would say that Nintendo wouldn't be foolish enough to accidentally "leak" their next Smash DLC character through a trademark but this is the same company that leaked Lucario and Jigglypuff in Brawl (and Ganondorf in 4) accidentally through videos.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
First of all, great to know that we are possibly getting our King back! Second, people are saying Ridley lacks Japanese support. This is actually false, Ridley was the third highest newcomer in a Japan exclusive popularity poll and beat K.Rool on Brawl's poll which was Japan exclusive

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, probably doesn't mean much but at least it's something quick and simple to link to when some goofball still insists K. Rool is owned by Rare/Microsoft.

Far more encouraging for us are the results of almost every single exit poll: K. Rool is near the top, if not the top position outright. Awesome! It's funny how this makes some haters go ballistic to the point they dismiss the polling altogether or even dismiss the ballot itself.

And about the polling, anyone ever notice how it seems people who deny K. Rool's popularity mostly hold K. Rool's butt to the fire? That is, if these exit polls are soooooooo misleading, what does this say about almost every other character discussed in this ballot? Are we to believe there is a legion of casual voters casting significant amount of votes for Bandana Dee, Krystal, Isaac, Inklings, Wonder Red, Dixie etc.? Unless it's a huge third party character (e.g. Master Chief) or a Mario character (e.g. someone like Daisy), I would bet against it.

The point is not that these other characters are bad choices or that don't have a chance for this ballot. Rather, K. Rool is not alone in having his numbers overestimated in these polls. I would think the differences "balance" out.

StormC

Smash Hero
This is actually false, Ridley was the third highest newcomer in a Japan exclusive popularity poll
Third highest newcomer doesn't mean a lot when we were talking about post-Smash 4 DLC and there were still half a dozen or so veterans in front of him along with the two other newcomers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wasn't a poll.
Was a list of how many times the character was mentioned by Sakurai in responses to people's e-mails.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wasn't a poll.
Was a list of how many times the character was mentioned by Sakurai in responses to people's e-mails.
I keep seeing poll when I see that. Does the Melee thing that had Metroid and Geno also apply to that? Regardless, I wanted to point out Ridley's not obscure in Japan than we thought. Sadly, he's not getting in, luckily, our King will be able to greet him if he gets in a future installment

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I did had a dream recently where a new Smash Direct started showing a trailer for new characters:
"King K Rool!"
Awesome!.
"Wolf!"
Neat.
"Himura Kenshiin!"
...wut?.

Too bad I woke up because thats when I realized it was a dream and I was ready to fly towards Bandai Namco's building.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I did had a dream recently where a new Smash Direct started showing a trailer for new characters:
"King K Rool!"
Awesome!.
"Wolf!"
Neat.
"Himura Kenshiin!"
...wut?.

Too bad I woke up because thats when I realized it was a dream and I was ready to fly towards Bandai Namco's building.
Iv'e had a similar dream back in the brawl days when things were still sort of a mystery (this was 2009 btw, I was a young lad)

"Tabuu playable"
Awesome!

"Raichu"
A bit odd but go on.

"Amy Rose"
Now your just f****** with me!

StormC

Smash Hero
I've had at least one dream involving K. Rool and Smash but I can't recall the specifics of it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
... I've never had any Smash related dreams. Is it because I never emotionally invest myself in the outcome, I wonder.

:231:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Since we're speaking about passive traits, i read somewhere that Bowser's Tough Guy mechanic isn't a made up trait for it, but a consequence of its weight. Heavier characters(Metal Box and Super Mushroom) are said to have stronger passive armors. This would mean that King K. Rool would have Tough Guy too if he is as heavy as Bowser or more.
Not Sure how heavy K.Rool will be but its something i am really curious about.
He definitely wont be heavier than Bowser i really doubt he will be the same weight as him.

I think he will be Below DDD tbh even though its kinda weired...
Should be same as DK or just below him.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If the King is anything less than the heaviest character I'll be disappointed.

That golden gut has to weigh more than Bowser's shell. Remember, Snake was a super heavy weight because of his equipment.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well diddy does have his own game.
Diddy Kong Racing.

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux hes not gonna be heavier than bowser.
Im not really talking about what he should be im talking about what i think he is gonna be if he gets in which is just below DDD what i think.

But yes if he is below bowser or the same as DK and he has a good recovery his survive ability is gonna be insane.
DDD's already is.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
To be honest I wouldn't be altogether surprised if K Rool came in at 5th heaviest (behind Bowser, DK, Dedede and Charizard). I say this for balancing reasons.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't think he will ever be lighter than Donkey Kong...
I'd never have thought someone would make Mewtwo lighter than Pikachu when he's around 45 times heavier in the games, yet here we are.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Iv'e had a similar dream back in the brawl days when things were still sort of a mystery (this was 2009 btw, I was a young lad)

"Tabuu playable"
Awesome!
I've always thought that a character that represented Smash as a whole, rather than just a Nintendo franchise, would be pretty cool. I would absolutely welcome the return of Tabuu to the fray.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I'd never have thought someone would make Mewtwo lighter than Pikachu when he's around 45 times heavier in the games, yet here we are.
Except that you can't make up silly excuses for K. Rool like that he floats all the time. The Rareware's design even has the golden armor that increases his weight.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
To be honest I wouldn't be altogether surprised if K Rool came in at 5th heaviest (behind Bowser, DK, Dedede and Charizard). I say this for balancing reasons.
I would be pretty mad if he is lighter than Charizard...it would be Bull*
I still think Ganon should be the same weight as charizard or heavier...
Or just Ganon needs a recovery buff
Plus...balancing reasons? Look at DDD 3rd Heaviest Multi Jumps and crazy recovery.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Then again King K Rool doesn't have psychic powers nor can he levitate naturally. Also visually you can't get out of making someone that fat, light.

Another thing to consider as well is that unlike Mewtwo being heavy is part of King K's character, he even does a ground pound that causes a shockwave. Even though Mewtwo is heavy and weight is a part of the pokemon games, he never learns an attack that utilizes his weight. Therefore it's not a very important part of his character, visually his height is because in most media he has a towering presence, but in most media his rarely on the ground. In fact you only see him run in Pokemon Origin.

Taking it a bit further he is 6 foot 7 or 2 meters and weighs 269 pounds/122.0kg, proportionally that doesn't even seem that heavy to be honest, seeing as how a human male of that height on average would be 242lbs. That's not that big of a gap.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If the King is anything less than the heaviest character I'll be disappointed.

That golden gut has to weigh more than Bowser's shell. Remember, Snake was a super heavy weight because of his equipment.
I still firmly believe that Bowser should be heavier than K. Rool. Bowser has that huge spiky shell, after all.

:231:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I Was Designing K. Rool #3:

I think it'd make sense for him to be around Bowser's weight, with a similar walk / run speed. Since he'd have a decent recovery in his 'copter pack, I think it'd be fair that his standard jumps would be very weak to compensate - I'm gonna say around Doc-tier, with a similarly poor airspeed?

That'd mean K. Rool is a lightning bruiser / tank who can hold his ground, yet who struggles to get anywhere if he's not on terra firma. I know he can jump exceptionally high and far in DKC, but you've gotta draw the line somewhere - poor aerial mobility would ensure he isn't just an overpowered maniac, while a decent up-b for recovery would ensure he isn't just Little Mac off-stage. The other important aspect of this in terms of balance would be that, while his ranged tools would make him a great edge-guarder when he's on-stage, he'd be pretty terrible at actual off-stage play. If he has to focus on making it back with his up-b rather than his standard jumps, it'd ensure his aerials rarely come into play off-stage; furthermore, it'd force him to prioritise keeping his foes away from him on-stage, as as simple throw off-stage can upset his entire gameplan.

On that note, I reckon his grab game would be so-so at best. He'd have good range with the blunderbuss vacuum, though the throws themselves wouldn't be anything to write home about. I imagine he'd have two fundamental forms of attack: powerful projectile and traps to capitalise on his excellent ranged game, and swift, strong hits to keep the opponent out of his space if he needs to defend himself. Because he'd need to either set up for a ranged kill and his close-range moves would be designed to knock the opponent back immediately without need for a follow-up, his combo game would be virtually non-existent. As a result, he'd have difficult with throw followups; that, coupled with the fact that his grab would be similar to Pac-Man's (good range, yet too slow to be reliable), would mean that K. Rool's grab would be most useful as a situational punish tool or a crafty Hail Mary.

tl;dr - Super-heavy, very fast, poor jump, decent recovery, underwhelming aerials, no combos, unreliable grab, poor throws.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
There is currently a section on the eShop called "Featured in PIXELS the Movie" and it lists all of the Donkey Kong and Pac-Man games, including games that have nothing to do with the arcade era, like Donkey Kong Country and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures. Kinda neat, and it gives more exposure to our beloved series. In other news, Jungle Climber is finally here.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkS7f9Skg

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I would be pretty mad if he is lighter than Charizard...it would be Bull*
I still think Ganon should be the same weight as charizard or heavier...
Or just Ganon needs a recovery buff
Plus...balancing reasons? Look at DDD 3rd Heaviest Multi Jumps and crazy recovery.
What are people wanting/expecting from King K Rool?

- Strong projectile/zoning game
- Decent speed/boxing game

These are already fundamentally advantageous traits. If you give them to King K Rool whilst leaving him as heavy and strong as Bowser and DK, doesn't this invalidate these characters on a fundamental level? Granted they are characters which in reality need strengthening but I don't believe it is a deliberate choice by Sakurai rather than an unfortunate side effect of having to balance for a lot more than just 1v1. Giving King K Rool their weight and strength whilst having everything else you want is making a character who is just point blank better, which is not good design.

Also, Dedede needs those things; he's an awful enough character as is. K Rool would not need added weight when he has everything else and giving him a bit less weight might mean the other heavies aren't completely outclassed.

Then again King K Rool doesn't have psychic powers nor can he levitate naturally. Also visually you can't get out of making someone that fat, light.

Another thing to consider as well is that unlike Mewtwo being heavy is part of King K's character, he even does a ground pound that causes a shockwave. Even though Mewtwo is heavy and weight is a part of the pokemon games, he never learns an attack that utilizes his weight. Therefore it's not a very important part of his character, visually his height is because in most media he has a towering presence, but in most media his rarely on the ground. In fact you only see him run in Pokemon Origin.

Taking it a bit further he is 6 foot 7 or 2 meters and weighs 269 pounds/122.0kg, proportionally that doesn't even seem that heavy to be honest, seeing as how a human male of that height on average would be 242lbs. That's not that big of a gap.
Let's be fair here - at no point did I suggest making King K Rool light. I suggested that he might end up as the 5th heaviest for the sake of balance. This is not going to make him feel light at all. Yoshi does a ground pound that causes a shockwave, and I certainly didn't suggest giving K Rool Yoshi's weight.

And let's bear in mind that even considering Mewtwo having grounds for being somewhat floaty (so does Samus, yet they just changed her fall speed rather than giving her absurdly low weight) the difference is still far more pronounced than it should be. I have merely suggested King K Rool being around 5th heaviest and still a super heavyweight instead of 2nd heaviest or even most heavy.

I think it's worth being especially careful if the "Tough Guy" Bowser has is really just a side effect of his weight. If K Rool was as heavy or heavier than Bowser and got this, on top of having a strong projectile game and similar boxing skills, what really is the point of Bowser other than drop-kicking on FFAs?

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll feel ripped off if K. Rool is even equal to DK's weight. I want that fat croc to make the battlefield quake with his presence.

I'd make him less physically powerful than Bowser and friends. Rushdown and aggressive play would give him trouble.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
King K. Rool can be the heaviest. Afterall, he is at least twice the size of DK. I would not make him that big, however.

I would give most of his attacks movement properties, but make the character slow. Make him floaty. Maybe even deny him a third jump via UP B or make it horrible.

If he has a projectile, do not make it spammy.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If I would design the Cruel King

King K. Rool as I see him would have four types of attacks.
Type one are the ranged Get Off Me moves,
They'd have much knockback, no combo capability aside from a few basic things and fast moves

Type two are the traps.
These traps include Spiked Cannonballs that knock opponents towards K. Rool, Klouds that heavily nerf opponents and Elektrocution Pods that lay down a line of hurt.
Those traps don't kill on themselves and instead put the opponent in a bad position.

Instead, that's type three's jobs.
These are his Smashes, Belly Bounces and one or two aerials.
They're pretty slow, but on a weakened opponent flying to you, they're very viable kill moves.
But getting opponents in these traps is pretty hard.

Type four are made to get opponents into traps.
They're the normal Kannonballs, Krowns (multihit effect) and grab's job.
They can't kill on their own, but can block portions of the stage, or outright throw opponents in the traps.

As for other things, K. Rool is mobile, heavy and a zoner, but cannot kill reliably without his traps and his recovery is bad.
Heck, his range outside of projectiles is only so-so.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
@ Banjo-Kazooie Banjo-Kazooie I had to look up who Himura was, is he even from a video game?

@ SuperNintendoKid SuperNintendoKid I'd actually not mind Raichu. Could you see Raichu being a mix of Pikachu and Little Mac with Thunder Punch goodness? Raichu can learn Thunder Punch can't he? (I looked it up, he can, but only through tutoring so punching the **** out of things with electricity King Kong style doesn't come naturally to Raichu).

I'll feel ripped off if K. Rool is even equal to DK's weight. I want that fat croc to make the battlefield quake with his presence.

I'd make him less physically powerful than Bowser and friends. Rushdown and aggressive play would give him trouble.
Good. Heavies like DK, Charizard, and Bowser struggle immensely with bait and punish characters as well as projectile spammers that control the stage, which the aforementioned three are nigh helpless against. If you make K. Rool's strength rely in traps and projectiles, having quicker but weaker attacks than the other Heavies, this makes him an entirely new CLASS of fighter. A faster, but weaker, heavy with a strong emphasis on control. This would make the typical poor matchups for heavy swing in K. Rool's favor while he would struggle against characters other heavies would excel at.

Either way, a lot of people think K. Rool has the potential to be a niche of fighter exclusively all his own without Snake present. There's a reason Snake was considered a higher tier heavy in Brawl.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
How do you guys feel about that recent Reddit compilation? I'm pretty pumped.

Snake is my #1 pick obviously, but it makes me very happy to see the Top 3 characters being ones I really want. Snake, Wolf and K.Rool being there gets me real excited.

Hopefully K.Rool gets in through DLC. That will definitely be hype worthy.

Top Bottom