• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
I just saw on Twitter that Gregg Mayles has a folder full of SNES DKC maps, the maps are of used and unused(!!!) levels. We should tweet him at https://twitter.com/Ghoulyboy to convince him to open it!

Nice job, bananija! It is perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I wouldn't worry about K. Rool's relevancy that much. I mean, the Kritters, if I recall correctly, were not in any games for while, and they still appear in Smash Bros.' 3DS Smash Run mode. So, if the Kritters can be brought back like that, I don't see how it is that hard to make K. Rool a playable character. It shouldn't be that hard.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Last time on Smash Boards's Bizarre Speculation....
Some random guy leaked something on Ihateroy.com (AKA gamefaqs) people thought it was just fake leak bait, but....
Neo megaman zero said the leaker was related to the ESRB LAEK (esrb stands for egocentric suicidal rocking buttocks) DUN DUN DUN...
A bunch of random people started lurking on this thread, and we were basically doing absolutely nothing special (i even went to the super market) but then Pushydushydustin acted da mickey.........
Can googoo and kirkristian stuart the K.Rool thread solve this mystery? Will the views come back to beyond 20 like in April?
can King K.Rool sing ONE OF US in reverse?!

Find out in the next episode of Smash Boards's Bizarre Speculation!*Roundabout plays*

So anyway, i have a question.¿If you had to gave K.Rool a new costume, what it would be and why?
I'm still confused, what info was in the leak and what does it have to do with K. Rool?

Also, it's worth noting that the last time Neo Zero and crew thought someone was reliable (i.e., "there's still hope for Ridley guys!" their "contact" was outright ****ing with them.)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm still confused, what info was in the leak and what does it have to do with K. Rool?

Also, it's worth noting that the last time Neo Zero and crew thought someone was reliable (i.e., "there's still hope for Ridley guys!" their "contact" was outright ****ing with them.)
To be fair, Neo never really said he believed that guy, or that that's what the guy even said.

Just that it was a possibility extrapolated from what he had discussed with him.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Some random guy leaked something on Ihateroy.com (AKA gamefaqs) people thought it was just fake leak bait, but....
Neo megaman zero said the leaker was related to the ESRB LAEK (esrb stands for egocentric suicidal rocking buttocks) DUN DUN DUN...
A bunch of random people started lurking on this thread, and we were basically doing absolutely nothing special (i even went to the super market) but then Pushydushydustin acted da mickey.........
Can googoo and kirkristian stuart the K.Rool thread solve this mystery? Will the views come back to beyond 20 like in April?

Find out in the next episode of Smash Boards's Bizarre Speculation!*Roundabout plays*

So anyway, i have a question.¿If you had to gave K.Rool a new costume, what it would be and why?
A military themed one would be fantastic in my opinion, and also plays into the industrialisation the Kremlings are known for. There are several name choices you could go for, but I'd probably go with the following:

Korp O Rool

Alternatively, Klown K Rool would be utterly terrifying and have a ton of moveset potential.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
To be fair, Neo never really said he believed that guy, or that that's what the guy even said.

Just that it was a possibility extrapolated from what he had discussed with him.
Then what's different in this scenario, and how does NZ know they're related to the ESRB leaker/what makes them think that? If we can't discuss, someone PM me.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Then what's different in this scenario, and how does NZ know they're related to the ESRB leaker/what makes them think that? If we can't discuss, someone PM me.
Oh, there is no difference. None whatsoever.

I'm just clarifying that Neo didn't say that before, he was just telling us what he heard.

Regardless, that's neither here nor there. Until we know for certain that this leak is truey trueness / utterly fictitious, we should just focus on the Kampaign.

I think that this is the make-or-break moment for K. Rool. If Sakurai considers him and we know he's on the cards, then we know our efforts have paid off and we made a difference; regardless of whether he gets in or not, the thought will be on Sakurai's mind in future and Nintendo will be made very aware that K. Rool is indeed a very popular force to be reckoned with.

If he doesn't consider him, well, we will at least know where we stand. The Ridley fanbase ultimately got him to admit that he tried and failed with their favourite character, it would be good to know that Sakurai definitely doesn't care about K. Rool and it's not just that he doesn't notice our efforts.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh, there is no difference. None whatsoever.

I'm just clarifying that Neo didn't say that before, he was just telling us what he heard.

Regardless, that's neither here nor there. Until we know for certain that this leak is truey trueness / utterly fictitious, we should just focus on the Kampaign.

I think that this is the make-or-break moment for K. Rool. If Sakurai considers him and we know he's on the cards, then we know our efforts have paid off and we made a difference; regardless of whether he gets in or not, the thought will be on Sakurai's mind in future and Nintendo will be made very aware that K. Rool is indeed a very popular force to be reckoned with.

If he doesn't consider him, well, we will at least know where we stand. The Ridley fanbase ultimately got him to admit that he tried and failed with their favourite character, it would be good to know that Sakurai definitely doesn't care about K. Rool and it's not just that he doesn't notice our efforts.
I'm still confused what the contents of the leak actually are, if anything; is it back a couple pages and I missed it? All I know so far is "random gamefaqs guy, Neo Zero has suspicions, and it *might* have something to do with K. Rool?" That last bit is purely speculation, but it's making me worry a bit, bringing back pre-Sm4sh vibes.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm still confused what the contents of the leak actually are, if anything; is it back a couple pages and I missed it? All I know so far is "random gamefaqs guy, Neo Zero has suspicions, and it *might* have something to do with K. Rool?" That last bit is purely speculation, but it's making me worry a bit, bringing back pre-Sm4sh vibes.
The gist of it is that a source claims to have part of a shortlist listing who's up for consideration as DLC. Whether it's real or not, though, it tells nothing that wasn't known before - the long and the short of it is that some characters may or may not make it as DLC.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The gist of it is that a source claims to have part of a shortlist listing who's up for consideration as DLC. Whether it's real or not, though, it tells nothing that wasn't known before - the long and the short of it is that some characters may or may not make it as DLC.
To be more specific and add on to what Tortilla here is saying, the characters King K. Rool, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Chibi-Robo, Agent 3 (Inkling) and Takumaru I believe have been mentioned being from a list of 20 or so potential suggestions for DLC that was given to Sakurai's team by Nintendo. Even if this is completely, 100% legitimate, it said nothing we don't already know. The only thing we can glean form this, if true, is that K. Rool is in the cards, but this outright confirms no one for playability. Even so, these are just Nintendo's suggestions and Sakurai really does have the final say, though people DO speculate that Nintendo's word has more power now because DLC has to sell on individual character merits.

If it's hogwash we continue on as normal.

If it's true, then the King is in the Kards. So we just continue on as normal, supporting our King, voting and campaigning and we will not grow complacent and falter.

Edit: This "leak" is not exactly megaton worthy, and is incredibly "safe" for a leak. Because nothing has to be outright confirmed for it to be proven real. None of these characters are guaranteed and some characters not on the shortlist aren't excluded from being considered. It's only worthy of minor to average hype.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
To be more specific and add on to what Tortilla here is saying, the characters King K. Rool, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Chibi-Robo, Agent 3 (Inkling) and Takumaru I believe have been mentioned being from a list of 20 or so potential suggestions for DLC that was given to Sakurai's team by Nintendo. Even if this is completely, 100% legitimate, it said nothing we don't already know. The only thing we can glean form this, if true, is that K. Rool is in the cards, but this outright confirms no one for playability. Even so, these are just Nintendo's suggestions and Sakurai really does have the final say, though people DO speculate that Nintendo's word has more power now because DLC has to sell on individual character merits.

If it's hogwash we continue on as normal.

If it's true, then the King is in the Kards. So we just continue on as normal, supporting our King, voting and campaigning and we will not grow complacent and falter.

Edit: This "leak" is not exactly megaton worthy, and is incredibly "safe" for a leak. Because nothing has to be outright confirmed for it to be proven real. None of these characters are guaranteed and some characters not on the shortlist aren't excluded from being considered. It's only worthy of minor to average hype.
Ok! Well, that's interesting if true, and basically just means we're on the right track and K. Rool has been noticed. Either way, we doin' good for the King. :shades:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Anyone know how to get one of the K. Rool "smilies"? I've tried many variations of :rool:, :krool: and :kingkrool: with nothing.

I realized that, despite this entire time of being a Kutthroat I was never officially added to the support list. Are we no longer updating that because it's getting too big? If you still are, I would love to be added! I need to be an OFFICIAL Kutthroat!

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I realized that, despite this entire time of being a Kutthroat I was never officially added to the support list. Are we no longer updating that because it's getting too big? If you still are, I would love to be added! I need to be an OFFICIAL Kutthroat!
There's too many supporters to keep it updated.
As long as you support the king you're a Kutthroat!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyone know how to get one of the K. Rool "smilies"? I've tried many variations of :rool:, :krool: and :kingkrool: with nothing.

Whether on the list or not, you still are one by supporting the great king. Still, you can have this.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Do ppl want K.Rool to be based of DKC2? Or just have some moves from it?
I assumed like me was expecting him to be appearence wise based of DKC1...i dunno confused now...gettinf of the bus.
Default king APPEARANCE, but uses abilities from all games. That said I'd not be against him holding the Blunderbuss at all times as long as he can use other abilities.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Cowboy Sheriff costume, with a name like Sheriff K. Rool, Waco K. Rool, or Kid K. Rool, I always thought the kremlings would look pretty cool as cowboys too and who wouldn't want to see them going "yee-haw!" while firing their pistols and shotguns at you? One of them could even use a whip lol.
A military themed one would be fantastic in my opinion, and also plays into the industrialisation the Kremlings are known for. There are several name choices you could go for, but I'd probably go with the following:

Korp O Rool

Alternatively, Klown K Rool would be utterly terrifying and have a ton of moveset potential.
I always thought Krazy K. Rool or Karny K. Rool sounded more maniacal and terrifying.. Anyway, here's your Kroc Clown.
Krazy K. Rool.jpg

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
This man was the driving force as well as a vocal supporter of Duck Hunt in front of a whole bunch of deniers, including myself.
Honestly, I always thought that Duck Hunt made the most sense to bring back as a retro character due to his iconic status. Much moreso than Takamaru imo. I was surprised people weren't considering him more.

Also, hypothetically if alt costumes don't happen (which I doubt for K Rool) what colors would you guys make his palette swaps?

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Vertical, more so than horizontal. Charizard specializes in horizontal recovery more than vertical, and K. Rool can be the inverse of that. If it was mostly horizontal it would feel like it was ripping off DK. With Snake gone, a vertical flying helipack would essentially be that move reborn. Ideally he would have the same level of control over it as Villager's Balloon Fight although not as fast and a shorter duration, but quick vertical ascension would be best.

Also, let K. Rool be able to cancel it early. This way, not only can it be used to attack (somewhat) if there is a disjointed hitbox on the propellers, but allow K. Rool to quickly ascend platforms this way.

There's no shame in having K. Rool be our first high tier heavyweight. Which really, having a heavy that doesn't rely entirely on his strength and slowness like all the others might stand a chance against the zippy, feather-weight, combo-happy high tier characters right now.

Edit: What I DO NOT want to see? K. Rool being stupidly slow with one OHKO to "make up for it". I am so sick of that with heavies.
I would like to think that Sakurai will do his research, but I am seriously praying that K. Rool wouldn't be another slow heavyweight. Best case scenario, his dash would make him faster than Diddy, a la DKC2, but I could totally understand if he wasn't THAT fast. I still want him pretty fast though.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In my moveset concept for K. Rool, he's fast, aggressive and extremely heavy (just below Bowser in terms of run speed, standard frame data and weight), though his "discharge" mechanic means he has to slow down when he's in zoning mode. I imagine his movement would be akin to Dedede's down-b in that mode, in that he can move and jump while charging, just that his speed is stunted during the charge.

I'm not sure how that would work in practice, though. I guess there's a precedent in PM Snake or Smash 4 R.O.B.: a zoner and trap-setter with great stage control options and decent mobility and speed on their close-range moves. If the discharge mechanic means he's weak by default and very powerful when fully charged, then his close-range moves would be used as a last resort or to keep troublesome rushdown fighters off of his case. In that sense, having fast and reliable close-range moves

The thing is, theory doesn't necessarily equate to practice. When the game first dropped, people were convinced that Bowser was unbeatable: a fast, weighty character with immense power and heavy armour? Then the meta developed and people realised that, hang on, Bowser has a ton of weaknesses that hold him back from being the top-tier terror we thought he'd be. Even though he has a ton of good options in theory, when you put everything together and test it out, it doesn't really work as a cohesive set.

That's why it's dangerous to examine moves in a vacuum. In theory, every character is great. You can detail any set out of context and make it sound jank (Ganondorf can kill in two hits but he needs to get the hard read or he's a sitting duck! Palutena has twelve unique moves but half of them are awful and her default set is near-useless!), yet in context, it can turn out to be underwhelming. K. Rool may sound intimidating in theory - ye gods! A fast, weighty zoner that can fight at close and far range! - but he could very easily fall apart when faced with a certain playstyle. I imagine reflectors would wreck him, while it'd be very hard to play catch-up with a character like Sonic or Sheik when you're essentially a giant mobile hurtbox.

In that sense, having a few reliable close-range moves is, debatably, necessary for K. Rool. Even an expert zoner / trapper like Snake or R.O.B. would crumble if they couldn't hold his own in a boxing match; plus, if R.O.B. has taught us anything, it's that having a huge hurtbox is a very dangerous weakness in any matchup.

In theory, K. Rool is the most broken character in the game, especially with the discharge mechanic: Bowser's weight, speed and power with Villager's projectile game? And he can charge his moves to become even stronger? JANK! JANK! JANK! JANK!

And then you stop and consider just what that means in practice:

- Huge hurtbox makes him combo food for smaller, quicker characters
- Focus on projectiles means he's easily countered by reflectors
- Discharge mechanic needs time to set up and can hurt him if he's reckless
- Traps also need time to set up and require good knowledge of the stage
- Close-range moves are strong and have good frame data on startup, yet enough endlag to nullify spam
- Even with a good recovery, his weight and size would make him easy to gimp

tl;dr - K. Rool would be broken as **** in theory, with enough noteworthy drawbacks in practice to keep him from being overpowered. Maybe about mid / high-mid-tier.

tl;dr pt. 2 - Max size / weight Mii Gunner. Try it and tell me it's jank.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Judging by Ryu, if they made K. Rool they'd put a lot of effort into him. I actually see him being Wario-esque; a heavy that doesn't play like a heavy. I can see him having odd movement or mechanics. I assume he wouldn't be another generic heavy, because if they do put him in, it'd be because they see some potential for him to be unique. If they can't envision him being anything other than a generic heavy they won't put him in the game.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

I love the OneyG reference added in there.

D

Deleted member

I don't know this is on topic,but can anyone make the one of us song go in reverse?

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

a wrestling costume lol

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
One aspect I haven't really mentioned that I think would be a nice addition for K Rool would be some strong shield pushback on some moves. This would make his stage control even more interesting if you could lay down a spiked cannonball and then push a shielding opponent into it to break their shield.

Obviously this would be for stronger attacks like F-Smash and Dash Attack but it'd be an exciting thing to have as an option. Given that I have these moves as one where K Rool travels forward as well, it would make them more punishable on block if you don't have the appropriate traps laid down so could be an easily balanced aspect of his character.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Finally after putting it off for over 10 years I have beaten DKC 1-3 and DK 64. As a kid I always watched my older brothers play the games but had never beaten any of them myself. The only one left for me to complete is Tropical Freeze.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
One aspect I haven't really mentioned that I think would be a nice addition for K Rool would be some strong shield pushback on some moves. This would make his stage control even more interesting if you could lay down a spiked cannonball and then push a shielding opponent into it to break their shield.

Obviously this would be for stronger attacks like F-Smash and Dash Attack but it'd be an exciting thing to have as an option. Given that I have these moves as one where K Rool travels forward as well, it would make them more punishable on block if you don't have the appropriate traps laid down so could be an easily balanced aspect of his character.
That would make K. Rool a hard counter to Luigi. :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
That wouls make K. Rool a hard counter to Luigi. :laugh:

:231:
I'd be absolutely fine with that. Heck, if I was Sakurai I'd have given Bowser armour that depends on the knockback of each attack rather than percentage and tweaked it just enough that he eats Sheik alive whilst still losing to a fair share of characters, especially other heavies who hit hard enough to beat his armour.

But oh well. Dreams can be dreams I guess.

Top Bottom