• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
Man, someone spammed No in Blue's character poll for K. Rool. I feel like DLC creates negative mindsets towards the more popular characters since fans of other characters think they're "stealing" their spot, whereas in the original game even if you didn't care for Mega Man there wasn't necessarily this fear that Mega Man's popularity would steal a spot from Little Mac or whomever.

D

Deleted member

Man, someone spammed No in Blue's character poll for K. Rool. I feel like DLC creates negative mindsets towards the more popular characters since fans of other characters think they're "stealing" their spot, whereas in the original game even if you didn't care for Mega Man there wasn't necessarily this fear that Mega Man's popularity would steal a spot from Little Mac or whomever.
Jealous people are jealous. They can't just admit that their "super mega deserving" character is below someone like K.Rool, Isaac or the Inklings in terms of popularity and requests.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Jealous people are jealous. They can't just admit that their "super mega deserving" character is below someone like K.Rool, Isaac or the Inklings in terms of popularity and requests.
pretty pathetic i feel if it wasn't for the fear of limited slots no one would say a character doesn't deserve too get in.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's for that reason I can't take Blue's character polls seriously. It's busywork to have each character be voted yes, no, or indifferent, when every character should be in a poll and you just check off each one you voted for.

StormC

Smash Hero
Watching Evo really made me think about how hype it'd be to see K. Rool in tourney-level play.

BlueSmasher73

Smash Rookie
Hello Kutthroats, I'm new to the Forums. I have missed K. Rool and the Kremlings for so long now. When I saw the Nintendo Direct about the Smash Ballot I immediately voted for him. I also convinced a few others to vote for him as well. I'm really hoping he gets into Smash Bros.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Hello Kutthroats, I'm new to the Forums. I have missed K. Rool and the Kremlings for so long now. When I saw the Nintendo Direct about the Smash Ballot I immediately voted for him. I also convinced a few others to vote for him as well. I'm really hoping he gets into Smash Bros.
Welcome komrade!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Watching Evo really made me think about how hype it'd be to see K. Rool in tourney-level play.
I'd settle for seeing him in Smash full stop. :p

Though to be fair it'd be hype to see any heavy in the Top 8.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
StormC: That's a problem I encounter as well. A lot of people make some of the most asinine reasons as to why K. Rool shouldn't get in and when they mention their character, it just makes me roll my eyes. While there IS a limit to the characters they can add, it not gonna solve anything by attacking another group of people who like a character that's more popular than yours. And funny enough, the main argument is relevancy.

At this point, the ball is in our court. If Sakurai said he's gonna focus on fanservice, now's the time to get our 'irrelevant' faces on the front lines. Excluding 3rd parties, If the fans want a character, they get it. We all want his Royal Highness, so we should get him without any stupid excuse from the haters or Sakurai himself. That also goes for Black Shadow, Lip, Isaac, Ray MK-II and any retro faces.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
In my moveset concept for K. Rool, he's fast, aggressive and extremely heavy (just below Bowser in terms of run speed, standard frame data and weight), though his "discharge" mechanic means he has to slow down when he's in zoning mode. I imagine his movement would be akin to Dedede's down-b in that mode, in that he can move and jump while charging, just that his speed is stunted during the charge.

I'm not sure how that would work in practice, though. I guess there's a precedent in PM Snake or Smash 4 R.O.B.: a zoner and trap-setter with great stage control options and decent mobility and speed on their close-range moves. If the discharge mechanic means he's weak by default and very powerful when fully charged, then his close-range moves would be used as a last resort or to keep troublesome rushdown fighters off of his case. In that sense, having fast and reliable close-range moves

The thing is, theory doesn't necessarily equate to practice. When the game first dropped, people were convinced that Bowser was unbeatable: a fast, weighty character with immense power and heavy armour? Then the meta developed and people realised that, hang on, Bowser has a ton of weaknesses that hold him back from being the top-tier terror we thought he'd be. Even though he has a ton of good options in theory, when you put everything together and test it out, it doesn't really work as a cohesive set.

That's why it's dangerous to examine moves in a vacuum. In theory, every character is great. You can detail any set out of context and make it sound jank (Ganondorf can kill in two hits but he needs to get the hard read or he's a sitting duck! Palutena has twelve unique moves but half of them are awful and her default set is near-useless!), yet in context, it can turn out to be underwhelming. K. Rool may sound intimidating in theory - ye gods! A fast, weighty zoner that can fight at close and far range! - but he could very easily fall apart when faced with a certain playstyle. I imagine reflectors would wreck him, while it'd be very hard to play catch-up with a character like Sonic or Sheik when you're essentially a giant mobile hurtbox.

In that sense, having a few reliable close-range moves is, debatably, necessary for K. Rool. Even an expert zoner / trapper like Snake or R.O.B. would crumble if they couldn't hold his own in a boxing match; plus, if R.O.B. has taught us anything, it's that having a huge hurtbox is a very dangerous weakness in any matchup.

In theory, K. Rool is the most broken character in the game, especially with the discharge mechanic: Bowser's weight, speed and power with Villager's projectile game? And he can charge his moves to become even stronger? JANK! JANK! JANK! JANK!

And then you stop and consider just what that means in practice:

- Huge hurtbox makes him combo food for smaller, quicker characters
- Focus on projectiles means he's easily countered by reflectors
- Discharge mechanic needs time to set up and can hurt him if he's reckless
- Traps also need time to set up and require good knowledge of the stage
- Close-range moves are strong and have good frame data on startup, yet enough endlag to nullify spam
- Even with a good recovery, his weight and size would make him easy to gimp

tl;dr - K. Rool would be broken as **** in theory, with enough noteworthy drawbacks in practice to keep him from being overpowered. Maybe about mid / high-mid-tier.

tl;dr pt. 2 - Max size / weight Mii Gunner. Try it and tell me it's jank.
Ahhh man...you guys are killing me man...i want K Rool so bad...i REALLY want him badly.....i swear this game is gonna die real fast for me if he doesnt get added...
Theres just not enough characters that i like..,,

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
At this point i dont really give a damn who says what..it seems like everyone is getting there character but not me...even some people got 2 or 3 of their characters.

All i wanted was K Rool, Ridley & Mewtwo
How do you think i felt when the ESRB leak hit? I didnt get **** all.

When release date for the game came near Ridley and K Rool got alot of hate because people felt like their popularity is consuming the whole of smadhboards with there names mentioned in all threads..i dunno if people were jealous and thought they were shoe-ins because of the insane popularity..uhh . . .
Yeh . . We all know how that went none of them got in..

Its all Bull*
If RealTalk was to be incarnated into a being it would be BKupa RealTalk he knows what went down and how things REALLY are!!

This is more than just a char its a statement.
Sakurai adding a Villian for DLC and hes a Heavyweight?!!?? Holy ****
Thats a BiG deal...

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
GameFAQs was righteous yesterday when a few posters were analyzing why people get so mad about K. Rool doing well in the polls, angrily questioning why people would vote in him when "this is a chance to vote in any character ever," as well as bashing the character under the mask of "why do people like him?" The answer boiled down to that people are insecure that a character so "stupid, fat and ugly" is beating their own, and rather than try to understand why, they lash back out at the character and his fans. Unfortunate, but at least it's an indicator of the strength of our position.

And yeah, @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 , I'm still trying to 1) gather all the newer supporters in the thread and 2) find a way to fit them all into the OP without it creating an error message when I try to edit, which it did last time I tried. I'm away from my computer on a cross-state bike ride until Saturday, but I'll keep trying to get it right once I'm back (most likely it will involve just cramming the latest list into the page, then resetting to the non-crash version and repeating once more names need adding).

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Assuming he doesn't fall victim to the same flaws that prevent Bowser, Charizard, and the like from performing well in tourneys.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
GameFAQs was righteous yesterday when a few posters were analyzing why people get so mad about K. Rool doing well in the polls, angrily questioning why people would vote in him when "this is a chance to vote in any character ever," as well as bashing the character under the mask of "why do people like him?" The answer boiled down to that people are insecure that a character so "stupid, fat and ugly" is beating their own, and rather than try to understand why, they lash back out at the character and his fans. Unfortunate, but at least it's an indicator of the strength of our position.

And yeah, @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 , I'm still trying to 1) gather all the newer supporters in the thread and 2) find a way to fit them all into the OP without it creating an error message when I try to edit, which it did last time I tried. I'm away from my computer on a cross-state bike ride until Saturday, but I'll keep trying to get it right once I'm back (most likely it will involve just cramming the latest list into the page, then resetting to the non-crash version and repeating once more names need adding).
Thanks BKupa! My my, how large the Kutthroat army has become!

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Assuming he doesn't fall victim to the same flaws that prevent Bowser, Charizard, and the like from performing well in tourneys.
If K. Rool becomes the trap based heavy character like Snake was in Brawl. Chances are someone can take him to top 32 at least next EVO.
That or give him something like custom DK upB. Being heavy is not a problem when you are broken :yeahboi:.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Im really curious aswell as how good of a character he is gonna be im gonna main him reguardless.
I hope atleast he is like DDD like mid tier and although really big and slow like all heavies but has alot of things going for him/Good stuff to work with like DDD does.

If he had like Run speed similar to bowser and a projectile then daymmmmmm its gonna be so sweet.
Ow man if he makes it in its litreally a dream come true becaus its somethimg i really thought wouldnt happen.
Lets hope Sakurai makes us proud.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Charizard probably does the best of any heavies in Tourney's. He's actually really good.
I can attest to this, 1.0.8 did God's work for Charizard. He's difficult to pick up and play if you aren't used to him, but if you master him, I consider him one of the best heavies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Charizard probably does the best of any heavies in Tourney's. He's actually really good.
Had he not stolen ROB'S kill throw, I imagine ROB would be doing better. I think ROB had slightly higher placing representation at EVO with 8bitman but I'd need to double check. Either way you can still see at least 4 heavies (ROB, Charizard, Wario, Bowser Jr) played seriously at the top level so there is no credence towards King K Rool being automatically terrible by virtue of being heavy.

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK just really needs another rep. People who don't see this annoy me... especially if they want a rep for a series which already has more (than it should related to the DK series). I want either Dixie or K. Rool (I'd like them much more than other Kongs), but K. Rool would just be cooler and I want him back (for DK games as well). Of course Dixie would have her own nice things, not trying to take away from her. If either makes it in I'd be happy.

Too bad the "leak" turned out to be (very likely) fake, since it would've sealed the deal with K. Rool. I'd enjoy Waluigi as well.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool, Mega Man, Ridley, Palutena and Dixie were my most wanted for Smash 4 in that order, but I've accepted that Ridley will never happen under Sakurai's tenure and Rool is in a way different league of desire compared to Dixie. So him and Wolf are pretty much all I need at this point to feel satisfied with the roster.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
K. Rool, Mega Man, Ridley, Palutena and Dixie were my most wanted for Smash 4 in that order, but I've accepted that Ridley will never happen under Sakurai's tenure and Rool is in a way different league of desire compared to Dixie. So him and Wolf are pretty much all I need at this point to feel satisfied with the roster.
There's food for thought: do you think a new Smash director would think a bit more optimistically about a certain purple space dragon?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Pfft! How pathetic! Is lashing out at K. Rool and his fans the best they can really do? Really? If so, then those guys are foolish. They are not being reasonable and mature about things. They clearly don't know K. Rool well, and don't understand his character. There is more to him than how he looks. Those guys may not even have played the original DKC games, and if they did, they apparently did not understand K. Rool well. These "tactics" those people are using against K. Rool and us K. Rool fans are just pitiful. I could be more reasonable and mature about things unlike they can.

StormC

Smash Hero
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 do you have a link to that thread on GameFAQs? I'm really curious.

There's food for thought: do you think a new Smash director would think a bit more optimistically about a certain purple space dragon?
Most definitely, unless they felt they had to play by Sakurai's rulebook 100%.

My only concern is that adjusting the character to Smash would take a lot of work and is very tricky... but eventually we're probably gonna see diminishing returns on newcomers (arguably we're seeing them now) so I could see him being added eventually... assuming Metroid isn't six feet under by a certain point.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:icsmelee:

Though the first will almost certainly be back, if not this game,
upload_2015-7-20_1-59-34.png

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/i-answer-some-questions-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-461-464/
I-Cies are 100% down and out for Smash 4
It hurts my feelings, but atleast that's 1 less person for King K. to take off his bounty list.

EDIT:
Speaking of, the following comes from the same page I listed up there;

Sakurai likes the big guys this time around
Now I'm not one to grasp at straws, so let's leave it at that for now.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
View attachment 62529
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/i-answer-some-questions-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-461-464/
I-Cies are 100% down and out for Smash 4
It hurts my feelings, but atleast that's 1 less person for King K. to take off his bounty list.

EDIT:
Speaking of, the following comes from the same page I listed up there;

Sakurai likes the big guys this time around
Now I'm not one to grasp at straws, so let's leave it at that for now.
Also from that same source:
GO KREMLINGS!!!.JPG

WOOT WOOT KREMLINGS for being "unique in terms of traits, overly balanced based on size and strength, AND from a stable franchise"!!! VERY STABLE, I might add :D!

Last edited:
Top Bottom