• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd be shocked that:
- K. Rool was selected over Dixie*.
- Isaac was ever considered.
- Chrom was there when we know he was never planned.
- Popo and Nana were separated.
- Chorus Kids.

*Yeah, K. Rool would be great, but I still see Dixie as more likely.
Maybe it's not K. Rool or Isaac, but the very fact that Sakurai felt the need to point out how "characters without planned future titles [that he doesn't want to make an exception for] are prioritized lower," before coyly saying that "he won't talk about those characters" makes me think that at least one cut newcomer fell victim to that. K. Rool and Isaac would be the leading candidates for that IMO.

Dixie, I think fell victim to the "unique" sniff test. There was literally no other reason not to add her, considering the May 2012 deadline gave the Smash team even longer to learn of her planned TF appearance (from March 2012 when people initially thought the roster was chosen).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But really, which characters out of the most requested characters for this installment of Smash go the best with those criteria? Easily Isaac and King K.Rool. Which makes me quite depressed, cause those where my most wanted... Easily. It makes me even more depressed about the choices of characters actually.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To be fair, as it stands, we're just pondering into the aether. We have no solid basis for believing that K. Rool or Isaac or anybody else was actually scrapped or if it's just Sakurai being Sakurai.

He could very well be taking a sly jab at Gematsu, and the "but I won't say which ones" may very well be referring to the likes of Chrom (whom we know was only ever briefly considered) and the Chorus Kids (who may or may not have been planned at all).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We have yet to actually see the character data. Just the textures and announcer call data (which seems ported from Brawl for the most part as there are announcer files for all of Brawl's missing characters present as well as the Alloy Team).
I think the fact that they hired a new announcer entirely would indicate none of the files are ported from Brawl's announcer. He is viewable on youtube, he's a pretty young dude.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Someone posted this on twitter and tweeted it to our Kampaign as well as a few other main gaming pages such as Nintendo and Mr. Sakurai. I thought I'd just post it on here as well.
dkc epic.jpg

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Maybe it's not K. Rool or Isaac, but the very fact that Sakurai felt the need to point out how "characters without planned future titles [that he doesn't want to make an exception for] are prioritized lower," before coyly saying that "he won't talk about those characters" makes me think that at least one cut newcomer fell victim to that. K. Rool and Isaac would be the leading candidates for that IMO.

Dixie, I think fell victim to the "unique" sniff test. There was literally no other reason not to add her, considering the May 2012 deadline gave the Smash team even longer to learn of her planned TF appearance (from March 2012 when people initially thought the roster was chosen).
I think that the priority comment was in reference to character veterans. So for example Lucas got cut because Mother is a dead series. Wolf got cut because the next Star Fox game has been in developmental hell for 7 years etc.

I really don't buy that Dixie could be seen as anything other than unique. At a maximum, she'd share one move with Diddy, and that's if they wanted to be lazy (banana peel). Considering how Shulk, Little Mac, Greninja and Palutena all share at least one move each with other characters already in the game, even if she did have the banana peel, it shouldn't be seen as an issue. None of Diddy's other moves are viable for Dixie, she doesn't have a tail, she doesn't have a rocket barrel, or a peanut gun. She has a plethora of other tools she can use too, like her guitar from DKC2, hell even her bubblegum could be an interesting move to implement (sticky trap), her Bubblegun (which is a lot different in function to Diddy's PPG) as well as DK series staple elements like Barrels, Jet Barrels, vines and Animal Buddies (I like the thought of an animal buddy stampede for her final smash) that neither DK nor Diddy use in their moves. Considering she actually has a body part that she attacks with that no other character uses (of which an entire unique moveset could be built around, even without the other tools), she's pretty much among the most unique possible newcomers, if not the most unique. At least in my opinion.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
So me and BKupa666 are working to make these awesome ideas come to life, here's the first of the official visual guides. It could be K Rool's down smash ability, where in DK64 he ground pounds (Despite feeling hurt afterwards) and makes a one to triple ringed shock waves (Read the OP for more info on that).

P.S Kupa, I fixed some coloring errors with this version.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So me and BKupa666 are working to make these awesome ideas come to life, here's the first of the official visual guides. It could be K Rool's down smash ability, where in DK64 he ground pounds (Despite feeling hurt afterwards) and makes a one to triple ringed shock wave (Read the OP for more info on that).

http://i.imgur.com/ixkNfsc.png

The poor guy's face D:

D

Deleted member

I think the fact that they hired a new announcer entirely would indicate none of the files are ported from Brawl's announcer. He is viewable on youtube, he's a pretty young dude.
Or, and bear with me here, the files are ported and the files for characters actually in the game were rerecorded.
Because who in their right mind would believe that a file was made by Xander for the damn Alloy Team?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ Zombie Saurian Zombie Saurian I edited your post so the image would be visible for everyone, rather than a link to it. Hope to see you keep up the fantastic work!

I think that the priority comment was in reference to character veterans. So for example Lucas got cut because Mother is a dead series. Wolf got cut because the next Star Fox game has been in developmental hell for 7 years etc.

I really don't buy that Dixie could be seen as anything other than unique. At a maximum, she'd share one move with Diddy, and that's if they wanted to be lazy (banana peel). Considering how Shulk, Little Mac, Greninja and Palutena all share at least one move each with other characters already in the game, even if she did have the banana peel, it shouldn't be seen as an issue. None of Diddy's other moves are viable for Dixie, she doesn't have a tail, she doesn't have a rocket barrel, or a peanut gun. She has a plethora of other tools she can use too, like her guitar from DKC2, hell even her bubblegum could be an interesting move to implement (sticky trap), her Bubblegun (which is a lot different in function to Diddy's PPG) as well as DK series staple elements like Barrels, Jet Barrels, vines and Animal Buddies (I like the thought of an animal buddy stampede for her final smash) that neither DK nor Diddy use in their moves. Considering she actually has a body part that she attacks with that no other character uses (of which an entire unique moveset could be built around, even without the other tools), she's pretty much among the most unique possible newcomers, if not the most unique. At least in my opinion.
You're preaching to the converted here. Thing is, "uniqueness" hinges entirely on Sakurai's perception of characters, and he has very specific, occasionally insular views of characters. . ."what fits," "what makes sense," what the "correct" representation of a character is or "what that character is when you boil it down."

It's why Chrom was dismissed (not that Robin wasn't the better choice, but the reasoning of 'he's inherently boring' is bad). It's why Ganondorf is a geriatric old fart. It's why Ridley will never be playable in a Sakurai-directed Smash. It's why Bowser, the Kongs and Dedede make animal noises. It's why Wario is nothing more than a gross farting lard. It's why, for a while, I was worried that the perception of K. Rool was "another fat king." Considering she already gets fanbase flak for being a second small monkey, it'd be completely unsurprising to me if Dixie were dismissed for that reason. And all of that completely sucks.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
@ Zombie Saurian Zombie Saurian I edited your post so the image would be visible for everyone, rather than a link to it. Hope to see you keep up the fantastic work!

You're preaching to the converted here. Thing is, "uniqueness" hinges entirely on Sakurai's perception of characters, and he has very specific, occasionally insular views of characters. . ."what fits," "what makes sense," what the "correct" representation of a character is or "what that character is when you boil it down."

It's why Chrom was dismissed (not that Robin wasn't the better choice, but the reasoning of 'he's inherently boring' is bad). It's why Ganondorf is a geriatric old fart. It's why Ridley will never be playable in a Sakurai-directed Smash. It's why Bowser, the Kongs and Dedede make animal noises. It's why Wario is nothing more than a gross farting lard. It's why, for a while, I was worried that the perception of K. Rool was "another fat king." Considering she already gets fanbase flak for being a second small monkey, it'd be completely unsurprising to me if Dixie were dismissed for that reason. And all of that completely sucks.
I do find it difficult to believe that anyone who is well informed about a certain character would find it hard to come up with a moveset for the character. But you could be right. I still think she's got a great shot of being DLC. You do never know with Sakurai though!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I agree with @ TheAnvil TheAnvil here. Conceptually, there's no reason why Dixie wouldn't be a unique character in her own right.

K. Rool, likewise, has unique traits in spades. Even in Donkey Kong Country (which I would argue is his most essential and least over-the-top portrayal), he has some moves that are unique to his peculiar style of fighting, such as the Krown toss and the hail of kannonballs from above. That's why this kampaign to highlight his unique and interesting abilities is so important - the world ought to be aware of the massive potential K. Rool actually has, y'know?

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I agree with @ TheAnvil TheAnvil here. Conceptually, there's no reason why Dixie wouldn't be a unique character in her own right.

K. Rool, likewise, has unique traits in spades. Even in Donkey Kong County (which I would argue is his most essential and least over-the-top portrayal), he has some moves that are unique to his peculiar style of fighting, such as the Krown toss and the hail of kannonballs from above. That's why this kampaign to highlight his unique and interesting abilities is so important - the world ought to be aware of the massive potential K. Rool actually has, y'know?
I think K. Rool's moveset writes itself too. I'd like him to incorporate all his different personas. Up B = Roolenstein machine, Side B = Blunderbuss, B = Charge, Down B= Butt Drop. I think the crown toss would be too small an object to be made effective enough.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Didn't mention this earlier, but I got DKC for Christmas on the original SNES. I've never really owned the game when I was a kid. Did play it on a friend's SNES when I was younger. It's fun to play the game again.
So me and BKupa666 are working to make these awesome ideas come to life, here's the first of the official visual guides. It could be K Rool's down smash ability, where in DK64 he ground pounds (Despite feeling hurt afterwards) and makes a one to triple ringed shock waves (Read the OP for more info on that).

Nice to see these again Zombie Saurian. Can't to see more of these.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Donkey Kong County? Is this some Europe only title? I Googled it and all I got was suggestions for Donkey Kong Country.

:seuss:
It's a little known fact that Donkey Kong County is actually the prototype European version of Donkey Kong Country. Rare made it as a tribute to a local Yorkshire lad that used to bring them tea and biscuits while they were working on the game, and only ten copies were ever nationally distributed. They experimented with different themes at the time, including giving DK a fondness for scrumping apples and growling at sheep, to make no mention of K. Rool's now-infamous "barn burn" scene, in which the Kremling King sets fire to Cranky's harvest barn in retaliation for talking smack about him down the local with his mates.

It never really caught on. Rare quickly took the game in other directions and set off on anther road entirely, replacing the apples with bananas and the sheep with Klaptraps. Remnants of the game's original design can still be found in Funky's Flights, which was originally going to be a steam locomotive to Luton, and Candy's penchant for engaging in a local custom that Yorkshire folk fondly refer to as "The Perrrywinkling".

This is all totally fabricated.

Although I would play it all the same.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's a little known fact that Donkey Kong County is actually the prototype European version of Donkey Kong Country. Rare made it as a tribute to a local Yorkshire lad that used to bring them tea and biscuits while they were working on the game, and only ten copies were ever nationally distributed. They experimented with different themes at the time, including giving DK a fondness for scrumping apples and growling at sheep, to make no mention of K. Rool's now-infamous "barn burn" scene, in which the Kremling King sets fire to Cranky's harvest barn in retaliation for talking smack about him down the local with his mates.

It never really caught on. Rare quickly took the game in other directions and set off on anther road entirely, replacing the apples with bananas and the sheep with Klaptraps. Remnants of the game's original design can still be found in Funky's Flights, which was originally going to be a steam locomotive to Luton, and Candy's penchant for engaging in a local custom that Yorkshire folk fondly refer to as "The Perrrywinkling".

This is all totally fabricated.

Although I would play it all the same.
I would totally play this game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Maybe Sakurai would finally play a DK game then, too!
Reminds me of a joke that got made on a recent Kongversation. . .in a discussion of the level Blackout Basement from DKC1, it came up that the level is full of dark pits, and Hyle mentioned that, maybe if they tell Sakurai that the level is full of dark pits, he'll take a deeper interest in the game past Jungle Hijinxs.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Some more fan art I did on the Wii U pad. I think we would all like to see which of these Nintendo antagonists is the true King Of The Ring.
024.JPG
028.JPG

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reminds me of a joke that got made on a recent Kongversation. . .in a discussion of the level Blackout Basement from DKC1, it came up that the level is full of dark pits, and Hyle mentioned that, maybe if they tell Sakurai that the level is full of dark pits, he'll take a deeper interest in the game past Jungle Hijinxs.
10/10 post. Would share on Facebook.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
As much as I hope for DKCR3, I find it most likely that we'll be seeing Prime 4, which is perfectly fine also. There was some disappointment coming from the Metroid fanbase over Retro announcing Tropical Freeze instead of Prime 4, and we know that Retro loves listening to fans. So I wouldn't cross my fingers over a new DKC.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The way I see it, it's one of three things:

- New Metroid game, planned and thought out carefully after the disaster that was Other M, possibly Prime 4 to carry on the Sylux tease at the end of Corruption and give Sylux a truly genuine shot at DLC for Smash, i need more supporters.
- New DKC with the chance that King K. Rool could be featured again as a result of the uproar from the Kremling Kampaign.
- New IP entirely.

I do have faith in the KKampaign and all and am interested in picking up DK again, but my own personal hopes wish that the project was Metroid related.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I sence that Metroid fanboys will unleash their hatred upon us again if we indeed will get DKCR3.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I sence that Metroid fanboys will unleash their hatred upon us again if we indeed will get DKCR3.
Nah, not here, since we have BKupadevil666 to protect the thread.

Though I wonder what the fanboys will say if the new game teases Ridley somehow.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd even take Ridley and the Space Pirates over the Tikis and Snowmads as enemies in the new DKCR honestly.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I don't think it'd be a new IP. Nintendo don't do that many new IPs, and they already have Splatoon on the way. I have no doubt it's either a new DKC game, or a Metroid game.

Top Bottom