• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The very fact that "non-clone, non-retro" has to be clarified as exceptions to character relevance is exactly why people found it so flimsy before these new interviews began coming out. Relevance is every bit as vague as "unique," in that there's no set definition for it, and it largely hinges on Sakurai's whims when all is said and done.
The vagueness is even more confusing when adding Little Mac to the mix. :4littlemac:

I'm more inclined to put him as part of the rule and not the exception (because I think Duck Hunt is :4duckhunt:).

Little Mac's last appearance was Punch Out!! for Wii released in 2009.

Now unless re-releases count (in which case nearly everyone is relevant) he's the "least relevant" newcomer excluding the obvious token exception.

Many people have pointed out that every non 3rd Party/Duck Hunt newcomer had a big important role in the mid to late Wii/DS to early 3DS/Wii U era.

Relevancy seems to have played a part but what's the cut off?

If it's 2009 than Isaac (another character plagued by "dah relevunce") is still relevant as Dark Dawn was only 4 years ago. K.Rool just barely misses that cut, but I don't think it's 2009 per say...

I think the cut off is/was....

The character had to have a notable role post Brawl.

Just a theory, but I think that's it.

K.Rool did have an appearance post Brawl with Mario Super Sluggers but that's not exactly notable...

I do think that unless DLC selection is mainly based on fan demand, we might want to prepare for Dixie.

Granted, I shall be hoping for both. :p

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
I unfortunately am now starting to think that the only way K.Rool will ever be in Smash game now is if he appears in another DK game. I don't agree that relevance should matter and play a factor to a character's inclusion(not counting vets and retro reps), but it's starting to look like that the people that do may be right for the most part. As with the exception of Duck Hunt, all the newcomers in Smash 3DS/Wii U have appeared in main series games since 2008. If we don't count spinoffs and such, the last main DK game K.Rool appeared in was in 1999.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With this interview, I'm waiting to see this game's disc explored. I'd really not be surprised to see a Forbidden 7 to the tune of:

--characters_krool
--characters_robin [Isaac]
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

How would you all react to something like this?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hmm haven't been around here for quite a while. Nice to see you all still around though.

With this interview, I'm waiting to see this game's disc explored. I'd really not be surprised to see a Forbidden 7 to the tune of:

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

Hope you'll be ready to wait for a good amount of time on that.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

I'd really only care greatly if there was a --characters_snake somewhere there. Though, seeing data for Chrom and KKR would be interesting.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Happy new year Kutthroats! May our king set sail!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

Incredible frustration that none of them were included.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

I'd feel mad that 3 of those characters were characters that I'm really fond of, and IC data wouldn't surprise me considering Sakurai said they worked fine on the Wii U, Chrom data would be out of ghe question if Sakurai's statement about Chrom only being considered at first was any indication

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
GameXplain just put out a new "Know Your Enemy" video on the Kritters.

Quite well done, if I do say so myself.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Happy New Year fellow Kutthroats. Hope we get some good news regarding our King and the DKC series whether it's DLC or a new game featuring K. Rool himself. Now where is my flying car and hoverboard?

D

Deleted member

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

If the Chorus Kids really were planned and were scrapped because of the same issues as the Ice Climbers, I expect there to be three files for them, not just one.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If the Chorus Kids really were planned and were scrapped because of the same issues as the Ice Climbers, I expect there to be three files for them, not just one.
There isn't a difference in models though.

Couldn't they just use the same model three times?

D

Deleted member

There was barely any difference in model between the two Climbers as compared to Olimar and Alph.
Or the two Wii Fit Trainers for a better comparison.

I guess my point is, Nana had to have been separated for more than just the model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There was barely any difference in model between the two Climbers as compared to Olimar and Alph.
Or the two Wii Fit Trainers for a better comparison.

I guess my point is, Nana had to have been separated for more than just the model.
I believe they would be a trio extremely close to each other having a small yet wide hitbox, they wouldn't get separated so you could hit one and they all fly back equally

D

Deleted member

I believe they would be a trio extremely close to each other having a small yet wide hitbox, they wouldn't get separated so you could hit one and they all fly back equally
This is how I believed they would work (or alternatively, you controlled the "You" Chorus Kid and the other two just sort of appeared for combo attacks). Though if they all were essentially tied to each other like Dog and Duck, why would there even be a problem like the Ice Climbers in the first place?

The issue with the Climbers was that the 3DS couldn't run both the main AI/player Climber and the partner AI Climber at the same time.
This is why Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt are able to get away with their teams; Luma isn't a separate AI control that mimics the main unit and Dog and Duck function as a single unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hmm, that could be the case if they were intended as the ICs' spiritual successor. The way people have described the concept, they might also technically count as one character, just with different kids performing different actions (going "Ah-ah-ah-AAAAH" as a jab, for example). That still might create difficulties, given that it would result in potentially 24 Chorus Kids onstage at once. Alternatively, they may just have been phased out last minute due to development complexity compared to, say, Jr., but not IC-esque technical issues.

Anyhow, on-topic, with regard to the Kritter video, I like how it's becoming common knowledge that "fans want the Kremlings back." Their support has been a snowball effect since Returns, but whereas the ball was only gaining speed back then, it's now healthily rolling and shows every sign of continuing to do so.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
GameXplain just put out a new "Know Your Enemy" video on the Kritters.

Quite well done, if I do say so myself.
GameXplain always does a great job. Unfortunately, we'll have to endure the usual onslaught of stupid comments.

From what I heard, Kremlings were copyrighted to someone and Nintendo was unable to use them in the newer DK games which I think is a little silly. They are like Goombas and Koopa Troopas to Mario games, it works
I don't really get why some people dislike the new DKC games because the Kremlins are absent. I actually liked the Snowmads much more, they were so original.
Yep, anthropomorphic penguins are much more original than anthropomorphic crocodiles. rolls eyes

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
GameXplain always does a great job. Unfortunately, we'll have to endure the usual onslaught of stupid comments.

Yep, anthropomorphic penguins are much more original than anthropomorphic crocodiles. rolls eyes
I don't really mind the Snowmad comparisons, since they are pretty cool (no pun intended) villains in their own right. I take more issue with the response that "people only want the Kremlings back because of nostalgia." Not to speak for this thread's 654 odd Kutthroats, but I'm pretty sure at least a few of them like K. Rool for reasons beyond just that he was in an old game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't really mind the Snowmad comparisons, since they are pretty cool (no pun intended) villains in their own right. I take more issue with the response that "people only want the Kremlings back because of nostalgia." Not to speak for this thread's 654 odd Kutthroats, but I'm pretty sure at least a few of them like K. Rool for reasons beyond just that he was in an old game.
Me, supported him as I saw him and thought "what can he do?" Looked it up and here I am!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm no expert artist at all, but for my latest doodle today, I thought I'd make something for the Kutthroats.

rool.png

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Just a reminder to request the SNES DKC Trilogy whenever you register a VC game on Club Nintendo, it's obviously on their minds. Let's show them that we do want them!

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
I must say that GameXplain video on the Kritters was pretty well done and a pleasant surprise. I'm not even saying that strictly because I like the Kremlings or even how they gave a shout out to how the fans want them back. I just love how very put together and in depth they really went with the whole thing. They practically covered every game. I especially liked the theory that the Klomp's scars came from their defeat last game. I shall now hold onto that belief.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I especially liked the theory that the Klomp's scars came from their defeat last game. I shall now hold onto that belief.
They didn't mention it, but an alternative theory might be that the Kritters were "punished" for their failures in the previous game. It's not as though Kaptain was above torture in any way, shape or form.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

Well, if something like that were to turn up, it would at least mean that they were given serious consideration, if not outright planned, at some point. That's better than nothing.

I don't think Chrom would turn up on one of those, though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
How did an entire community become so illiterate to the point of completely reappropriating a word, "relevant," (which is in itself completely subjective in its own principles anyway) into a fully colloquialized version of another word, 'recent?'

This new article/interview may actually support the notion that KRool would be likely on the grounds that he could be planned to be in DKCR3. It could be a very logical conclusion that KRool has been planned to be in DKCR3 all along, and if so, 'recency' is not even the argument that should be made, but rather, lack of proper research and marketing.

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

I'd be very shocked to see Lucas on it, especially with the other ones.
If gematsu was going off anything it was clear that Lucas was the alternative choice for Ness, likely because one was going to be the main character, and the other the alt (before it was decided alts must be more similar, #invoke the clone wars).

I find it highly improbable that Lucas was ever planned to be in this game, particularly on the topic of relevance RECENCY, and the fact that his own creator said the series was over.

Meanwhile, Squirtle and Ivysaur, if transformations were not unknown at that time, would still be likely properties.

D

Deleted member

Considering Charizard's newer set of files rather than reusing the "pokelizardon" set and filename, I'm willing to bet the jump to make Charizard his own character was already considered before issues arose with the transforming characters.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

I'd be shocked that:
- K. Rool was selected over Dixie*.
- Isaac was ever considered.
- Chrom was there when we know he was never planned.
- Popo and Nana were separated.
- Chorus Kids.

*Yeah, K. Rool would be great, but I still see Dixie as more likely.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

--characters_krool
--characters_krom
--characters_chorus
--characters_wolf
--characters_lucas
--characters_popo
--characters_nana

Probably not gonna happen as people have already been digging through the game. That's how we found the other song and guidance.

There would still have to be another file to load the other Kids with AI.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Considering Charizard's newer set of files rather than reusing the "pokelizardon" set and filename, I'm willing to bet the jump to make Charizard his own character was already considered before issues arose with the transforming characters.
The absence of Ice Climbers in data mining has shown us that the development team cleaned their history in this game to at least some thoroughness.

D

Deleted member

The absence of Ice Climbers in data mining has shown us that the development team cleaned their history in this game to at least some thoroughness.
We have yet to actually see the character data. Just the textures and announcer call data (which seems ported from Brawl for the most part as there are announcer files for all of Brawl's missing characters present as well as the Alloy Team).

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Bad news everyone. I came up with a villain so evil that K. Rool would be terrified to look at it.

While the King might represent American imperialism of the late 18 and early 19 hundreds. This bad guy would represent unregulated kapitalism, totalitarianism, greed, selfishness of korporations, kroolness of the Soviet Union, and the consequences of self-learning AI without world peace.

Unlike real-life lifeless murders, more heartless than Majora's minions have more personality to them than :4link:.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Bad news everyone. I came up with a villain so evil that K. Rool would be terrified to look at it.

While the King might represent American imperialism of the late 18 and early 19 hundreds. This bad guy would represent unregulated kapitalism, totalitarianism, greed, selfishness of korporations, kroolness of the Soviet Union, and the consequences of self-learning AI without world peace.

Unlike real-life lifeless murders, more heartless than Majora's minions have more personality to them than :4link:.
Does he rule the UKKR?

:seuss:

Top Bottom