• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Good luck trying to burst my bubble, I'm one of those fans who doesn't let his hopes for gaming ever get destroyed. *hopes, of course, not being expectations* Games are for fun and for bonding, man!

I do believe the new game Retro will announce, however, is Diddy Kong racing. Just throwing that out there again, since it didnt get any comments, and unless another group is working on DKR2, it has been rumored for a long while.
I used to have hopes and dreams, but then I took an arrow in the knee.

As for DKR2, I believe Monster Games is developing that. Or would develop that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would be completely unsurprised to learn that assets from a "low priority" K. Rool moveset got reused on both Bowser Jr. and Dedede (the cannonballs, the spiky projectiles, the boxing gloves).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
K Rool taking everyones taunts would be a fantastic homage to the characterization.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Hey folks, sorry I've not been as active as I used to be (been very busy). I had to postpone my K. Rool endeavours while the Christmas season was in full throttle but I now can devote most of my time to my projects relating to our beloved Kremling King.

I'm uploading a new more concrete WIP to show off for that campaign poster I vowed to complete before heading back to my animation proper.
It's far from done but I'm pretty chuffed with how it's coming out!

Edit:

Um.. also "Hello" I guess?

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
I hope King K. Rool drinks some Gator-ade and makes an appearance as a fighter in Smash DLC!

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I haven't been around lately! Happy Christmas/New Year/holidays! :079::079::079:

Also, in my absence I got my mitts on Tropical Freeze and actually beat it. THAT GAME IS SO...YES. The environments are wonderful, the levels are interesting and fun, the music is fantastic--just, I love it. Also the Snowmads are great, and I actually kinda hope they get some more action in the series' future. Kremlings first, of course, but y'know. Snowmads an' stuff. I feel like they've got more potential than "not-Kremlings-one-off-villains".

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman

The goal is to portray K Rool as the victor among the players of smash. I'm hoping to put a ton of Nintendo characters in the background, including Kremlings (Notably Krusha and Klomp). WIP.

i decided to try out smash 3ds again and i noticed that a picture that i took a few months ago got "kurrupted"

i dont know why or how it happened. the kremlings are taking names and breaking games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What I'd like to see is a :4palutena: / :4mii: treatment with King K.Rool.

Meaning simply: All 3 main costumes for K.Rool, King, Kaptain and Baron have their own set of custom moves who all act as differently as :4palutena:'s moves.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

The goal is to portray K Rool as the victor among the players of smash. I'm hoping to put a ton of Nintendo characters in the background, including Kremlings (Notably Krusha and Klomp). WIP.
Beyond the image looking great thus far, I think that's a good-looking size for the King, compared to what I can see of Bowser.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
I hope DKC comes to the NA VC soon. NA was the last region to get it on the Wii too. Wonder why that is.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What I'd like to see is a :4palutena: / :4mii: treatment with King K.Rool.

Meaning simply: All 3 main costumes for K.Rool, King, Kaptain and Baron have their own set of custom moves who all act as differently as :4palutena:'s moves.
Ahh... so the Kaptain and Baron would be relegated to never being used or acquired by most? :/

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ahh... so the Kaptain and Baron would be relegated to never being used or acquired by most? :/
Going by Palutena and the Miis, K. Rool would have his customs unlocked from the start if they were different enough.

They wouldn't be available online, but still.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
So I've been playing DKC3 on GBA lately and have been thinking a lot about Baron K. Roolstein.

I really like the idea of K. Rool setting up electrical line traps, like the first post mentions. What a cool and unique idea.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It never ceases to amaze me how much potential this guy actually has.

I was thinking of what his default moves would be in Smash and I actually struggled to think of which ones deserve to be put first.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
This is a really random idea I've always, but here goes nothing.

Have you heard of King Koopa's Kool Kartoons (1989-1990) before? It's a pretty obscure American live action show, starring King Koopa/Bowser. There seems to be little info in this (I don't know how many eps were made nor can find any full recordings), but it seems like a pretty funky show.

Opening/clip:

I honestly could see King K. Rool doing something like this more than King Koopa (or maybe both of them starring lol) with various Kremlings following. K. Rool just seems like the perfect character (just don't make things too violent for the kiddies). I think his character in that old DK Country cartoon helps me to think like this haha. I kinda wish the DK Country series had a live action show back then similar to this, even if the costumes would have looked pretty bad/horrifying. I think it could have been a hilarious show for the kids, especially if there's some interaction done. And c'mon, what kid doesn't want to march around, pretending to be a Kritter?

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of it, and it was...bizarre to say the least. All they showed were old public domain cartoons, supposedly. This is why I was against DiC back when they were still around.

Zombie Saurian: Great picture. I really want to see it finished. On the topic of K. Rool's size, I've seen him as taller than Ganondorf, if not the same height. I definitely see him as taller than Bowser, and I feel that he should be appropriate to DK's size in DKC. I think a silver and bronze-plated cuirass could be included as alts.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This is a really random idea I've always, but here goes nothing.

Have you heard of King Koopa's Kool Kartoons (1989-1990) before? It's a pretty obscure American live action show, starring King Koopa/Bowser. There seems to be little info in this (I don't know how many eps were made nor can find any full recordings), but it seems like a pretty funky show.

Opening/clip:

I honestly could see King K. Rool doing something like this more than King Koopa (or maybe both of them starring lol) with various Kremlings following. K. Rool just seems like the perfect character (just don't make things too violent for the kiddies). I think his character in that old DK Country cartoon helps me to think like this haha. I kinda wish the DK Country series had a live action show back then similar to this, even if the costumes would have looked pretty bad/horrifying. I think it could have been a hilarious show for the kids, especially if there's some interaction done. And c'mon, what kid doesn't want to march around, pretending to be a Kritter?

I have no idea what the hell I just watched.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

I have no idea what the hell I just watched.
IKR!?

I think it's the bizarreness and bad costumes that, for some reason, makes me intrigued by the show.

I mean, looking back at the old DK Country cartoon, I think it's pretty corny and random at times (there's also some CG issues, like bad clipping). But I still think it's charming in its own way, and I loved watching it back then, so I have no real problems. I kinda wish I watched King Koopa's Kool Kartoons when it aired, even if it was pretty poor.

Anyway, it was that DK Country cartoon that really made me love K. Rool. Y'know in the opening how there's a part where Kritters are marching? Well, I remember as I kid I used to march along with them when that scene came on. :laugh:

What I'm trying to say is, I like K. Rool, and would love to see him in Smash. And of course I think he has some awesome potential for an interesting moveset. And I wanna see some more heavyweights, dammit!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
IKR!?

What I'm trying to say is, I like K. Rool, and would love to see him in Smash. And of course I think he has some awesome potential for an interesting moveset. And I wanna see some more heavyweights, dammit!
Pretty bizarre way to say it, but okay. :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bringing over a discussion topic from DK Vine, people have suggested that, because Bowser exists as basically the only villain Nintendo cares about at all, K. Rool is kept out due to perceived similarities. There's also discussion over how K. Rool could differentiate himself beyond personality. . .the biggest ideas thus far have included him having his sociopathy toned down to fill more of a "bully" role, akin to Dedede or Robotnik, as well as to have him playable in a title alongside the Kongs, since that's certainly not a common Nintendo Big Bad trope.

Figured it'd be worthwhile to bring the topic here, since the vast majority of discussion over K. Rool's return focuses on him becoming main villain again, when options do exist beside that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Bringing over a discussion topic from DK Vine, people have suggested that, because Bowser exists as basically the only villain Nintendo cares about at all, K. Rool is kept out due to perceived similarities. There's also discussion over how K. Rool could differentiate himself beyond personality. . .the biggest ideas thus far have included him having his sociopathy toned down to fill more of a "bully" role, akin to Dedede or Robotnik, as well as to have him playable in a title alongside the Kongs, since that's certainly not a common Nintendo Big Bad trope.

Figured it'd be worthwhile to bring the topic here, since the vast majority of discussion over K. Rool's return focuses on him becoming main villain again, when options do exist beside that.
I'm honestly not familiar enough with the Donkey Kong series to share an educated opinion on this, but...

Isn't K. Rool a little too diabolical for something like that?

I don't know, he just seems too evil and psychotic for that sort of thing. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool is an absolutely insane psychopath. Look the things he did in DK64. He wanted to blew up a whole island with a laser machine so he can kill off his arch enemies and all the other animals on the island. He even executed one of the Kasplats after failing to defeat the Kongs.

KKR is for me on the same amount of evil like Ganon. The only different is, that KKR is portrait more in a cartoony way.

I think, that Nintendo themselves have no idea, how to use KKR correctly. Look up the latest appearances. In Jungle Climber and King of Swing he was just a cheap Bowser clone and not even a good one. Maybe that's the reason, why Nintendo does not want to use him anymore. For them, he is just another Bowser.

I mean, look up his latest boss fights: He grew up big, spitted fire balls, had a flying vehicle similar to Bowser's clown cart and only seems to have one type of henchmen: the Kritters.
Nintendo sees him just as Bowser 2 and not as his own type of character. Which is wrong! KKR was created to be his own villain by Rareware.

That's the reason I do not like the current KKR from Nintendo. He's just a boring, cheaply made copy of one of their most popular villains. The one from all the Rareware-Games on the other hand was just freaking awesome! Because for Rareware KKR was this really insane, lunatic with so much style and evilness. Every single boss fight with this guy was different, every single theme with KKR was different, every single plan was different. He was one of the most varied villains back in the old days.

Speaking of villains: Rareware did actually an amazing job with their villains. Not only King K. Rool was really great. Gruntilda, Wizpig, Don Weaso, Professor Pester, Mizar form Jet Force Gemini and also some villains, who actually had a really good concept but had to be turned down because of the instruction of their bosses like the Mystic from Kameo or General Scales form the original Dinosaur Planet.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I was thinking K. Rool would have been good as the 4th character in TF. The snowmads also threatened his way of life too, he could have then returned as the villain in the next game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm honestly not familiar enough with the Donkey Kong series to share an educated opinion on this, but...

Isn't K. Rool a little too diabolical for something like that?

I don't know, he just seems too evil and psychotic for that sort of thing. :ohwell:
He is diabolical and psychotic, it's a matter of whether they'd overlook that or give him a motive that'd force him to grudgingly align with the Kongs against a greater threat (or even just fight the threat and the Kongs at the same time). If his personality were shown to be more in line with his campier cartoon iteration, it might be an easier transition for him to make.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Here is the thing, while K.Rool's central thing seems to be his psychopathic hatred of the Kongs, the other is his decision, or issues cause him to take on persona's, so why wouldn't he consider taking up one that would help the kongs when a greater threat appears? the only thing is that it should be evident that he has a plan of his own.

Heck, much like Eggman, I could see K.Rool releasing a greater power that seems to be worse than him, and use that as an excuse to team up with the kongs, the only thing is that unlike Eggman, he would know this from the beginning, use it as a chance to get his men in position, then after defeating the threat, taking its powers as his plan to take down DK and the Kongs all along.

Or even take it a step further, and have K.Rool pretend that his personality has actually created two beings. This would be interesting, because then you would have a heroic one working with DK, while the other is causing the threat, but it turns out to be a ruse, or something more interesting

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I was thinking K. Rool would have been good as the 4th character in TF. The snowmads also threatened his way of life too, he could have then returned as the villain in the next game.
i could actually see him betraying the kongs at the end of the game and be the final boss, it would make him the villain for the game and stay with his terrible nature

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think an "enemy mine" situation would work, if only inadvertently. Rather than teaming up with the Kongs directly, he'd be fighting this new threat as well, and the Kongs' and the Kremlings' mutual interests would conveniently overlap. K. Rool could certainly be playable alongside the Kongs as an alternate path (same levels and story, different means of achieving those same ends), or possibly he could even appear as an entirely separate storyline option. I would love the choice between playing as the Kongs and their friends or the Kremlings and their troops.

K. Rool seems too "large and in charge" to just team up with the Kongs. It seems that he legitimately despises them and will do anything to annihilate them once and for all. If another villain shows up and threatens his turf, though, he'll stand his ground, if only so he can ensure that he gets to be the one to murder the Kongs with his own greasy claws. I think his fixation on the Kongs is that severe: he can't abide by the thought of somebody else doing the deed instead of him, so he'll crush anyone and anything that stands in his way just to make sure they don't get the Kongs before he does.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

I am so bummed, this was looking good until I left it in the oven for too long... Now it looks like he survived a war...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

No way, he's much too evil for that. I mean the guy's even willing to kill his own minions, even Bowser wouldn't do that. I thought dk64 did a great job at showing that of him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think, if K. Rool were to ever become playable in a platformer, it'd be a fun twist for him to constantly try overshadowing everyone else around him. Like, on the box art, he's seen trying to put up a makeshift sign overtop "Donkey Kong Country" to rename the game in his honor.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think, if K. Rool were to ever become playable in a platformer, it'd be a fun twist for him to constantly try overshadowing everyone else around him. Like, on the box art, he's seen trying to put up a makeshift sign overtop "Donkey Kong Country" to rename the game in his honor.
K.ROOL AND DK! DK AND K.ROOL! K.ROOL AND DK! K.ROOL AND DK! DK AND K.ROOL! If you say so

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Pretty bizarre way to say it, but okay. :)
I'm all types of bizarre. Especially in my wording! :upsidedown:

Do you think this is a legitimate reason why they're keeping out K. Rool? The two characters shouldn't have much bearings on each other, especially since I do think they have a lot of differences. If that's the case though, that's a pretty lame reason.

They can definitely go different routes with his character if Nintendo really thinks K. Rool's clashing with Bowser. I don't really care what they do in that case, as long as things aren't majorly retconned in a canon game (which I think is kinda hard to do for a villain, but it could still happen. You never know lol).

Giving K. Rool a playable role would be a nice change if he's forced to team up with the Kongs, playable in his own story (perhaps both stories/sides intervene at some point), or whatever. Yeah, there's more options than just giving him a NPC main villain role. Mario and Bowser has teamed up before on a few occasions, noticeably in the spin-off titles (those games usually give Bowser a more comic relief/goofy character though. Maybe that's why?). SMRPG first comes to mind. Anyway, I personally love getting the chance to play as villains, which is another reason why I love the Smash series. You can play as villains like Bowser or Ganon 24/7. :awesome:

Last edited:
Top Bottom