• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus

This thread bums me out so hard every time I see it ;-;

He was actually the only character aside from Mewtwo's return I wanted to be added and for way more than a possible 80 different Moveset possibilities ( DKC1-3 + DK64 ) to even outmatch every other character ever including very possible A Button Movesets having references to all his Boss Fight attacks ( like his DKC1 " charge across the stage " = his Dash attack / etc. ).

Seeing as how Nintendo has been distancing themselves from Rare lately + Sakurai saying " old franchises are much less likely to have characters selected " , I just don't see it happening for Smash4 DLC ( even less so thanks to 3DS limiting the console ).

This game series is lacking in villains and I would've LOVED to play The King himself vs DK in a rivalry MU.
Do any of you think he stands a chance for Smash 5? If he ever came out as playable, idc if he was Lowest Tier.... I'd Main him INSTANTLY I love him that much ;-;

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Do any of you think he stands a chance for Smash 5? If he ever came out as playable, idc if he was Lowest Tier.... I'd Main him INSTANTLY I love him that much ;-;
If he appears in a game between now and then? Absolutely.

I think he's got a fighting chance even now. Time will tell, of course, time will tell.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Do you think this is a legitimate reason why they're keeping out K. Rool? The two characters shouldn't have much bearings on each other, especially since I do think they have a lot of differences. If that's the case though, that's a pretty lame reason.

They can definitely go different routes with his character if Nintendo really thinks K. Rool's clashing with Bowser. I don't really care what they do in that case, as long as things aren't majorly retconned in a canon game (which I think is kinda hard to do for a villain, but it could still happen. You never know lol).

Giving K. Rool a playable role would be a nice change if he's forced to team up with the Kongs, playable in his own story (perhaps both stories/sides intervene at some point), or whatever. Yeah, there's more options than just giving him a NPC main villain role. Mario and Bowser has teamed up before on a few occasions, noticeably in the spin-off titles (those games usually give Bowser a more comic relief/goofy character though. Maybe that's why?). SMRPG first comes to mind. Anyway, I personally love getting the chance to play as villains, which is another reason why I love the Smash series. You can play as villains like Bowser or Ganon 24/67. :awesome:
Short answer, no, longer answer, no, but with possible complications.

Retro, I think, is bright enough to know of K. Rool's personality. They played through all DKC and DKL games before developing Returns and TF, and even captured some of K. Rool's zaniness with their clear expy of him, Fredrik. Nintendo, on the other hand, seems to either not understand or care about the DK characters' personalities, hence why you see the Kongs behaving as generic dumb monkeys in spin-offs, or Cranky being a kind old man in the Paon games. The voices whispering in Retro's ear, the mouths breathing down their necks might be encouraging them to use revolving-door villains instead of "a second reptile king," keeping Nintendo's second-biggest platformer more distinct from its first.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Short answer, no, longer answer, no, but with possible complications.

Retro, I think, is bright enough to know of K. Rool's personality. They played through all DKC and DKL games before developing Returns and TF, and even captured some of K. Rool's zaniness with their clear expy of him, Fredrik. Nintendo, on the other hand, seems to either not understand or care about the DK characters' personalities, hence why you see the Kongs behaving as generic dumb monkeys in spin-offs, or Cranky being a kind old man in the Paon games. The voices whispering in Retro's ear, the mouths breathing down their necks might be encouraging them to use revolving-door villains instead of "a second reptile king," keeping Nintendo's second-biggest platformer more distinct from its first.
Hmm, well thanks for the explanation. I could see where you're coming from.

I would question why Nintendo would give them generic personalities... but you gave some reasons. And I also think you may have gave another explanation in the past, with Retro and Nintendo perhaps having different cultural views (West vs Japan) on such animals and how they should be portrayed? Or am I thinking of something else? I wish I could find that post again, it was really interesting.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't remember making such a post, but I remember reading about how, in the U.S., gorillas as a species are integrated within our popular culture more than they are in Japan. Through stuff like King Kong, Koko, Tarzan and the Jane Goodall Institute (got to see her speak a few months ago, actually, she's wonderful), most Westerners know that they're intelligent, gentle giants who only really become aggressive when threatened. In contrast, they were never such a staple in Japanese culture, which has led to this perception of them as mindless wild beasts. The wide gap between DK's personality in Rare and Retro's games vs. in Nintendo's games reflects those different perceptions almost to a 'T.'

Judging by the magnitude of K. Rool's requests in both the West and East, at least the perception of him as an awesome character seems pretty constant.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't remember making such a post, but I remember reading about how, in the U.S., gorillas as a species are integrated within our popular culture than they are in Japan. Through stuff like King Kong, Koko, Tarzan and the Jane Goodall Institute (got to see her speak a few months ago, actually, she's wonderful), most Westerners know that they're intelligent, gentle giants who only really become aggressive when threatened. In contrast, they were never such a staple in Japanese culture, which has led to this perception of them as mindless wild beasts. The wide gap between DK's personality in Rare and Retro's games vs. in Nintendo's games reflects those different perceptions almost to a 'T.'

Judging by the magnitude of K. Rool's requests in both the West and East, at least the perception of him as an awesome character seems pretty constant.
I actually love this analysis. It does reflect in DK's personality as distinguished in various games, of course: the Country series and even the Returns series depict him as a lovable and courageous warrior, a bit dim at times, but ultimately a caring and valiant hero who stands up for his friends and fights for what's right. Other games, up to and including Smash, tend to focus more on the stereotypical "big dumb ape" image, which is a pretty unfortunate archetype to be labeled as when we know he's got much more potential than that.

K. Rool is indeed awesome, though. I think it's kind of hard to deny that. It helps that there seems to be a universal depiction of crocodiles as feral, cunning, savage and dangerous, of course.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
K. Rool is indeed awesome, though. I think it's kind of hard to deny that. It helps that there seems to be a universal depiction of crocodiles as feral, cunning, savage and dangerous, of course.
Reptiles in general tend to get bad rap in fiction. They're nearly always evil or unscrupulous.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Reptiles in general tend to get bad rap in fiction.They're nearly always evil or unscrupulous.
True that. That the term "cold-blooded" is a universal adjective for merciless and wicked only reinforces that archetype.

Actually, yeah, the fact that "ape" is used as a pejorative term to insult somebody's intelligence or lack of manners speaks volumes about the way gorillas are depicted in popular culture, doesn't it?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't remember making such a post, but I remember reading about how, in the U.S., gorillas as a species are integrated within our popular culture more than they are in Japan. Through stuff like King Kong, Koko, Tarzan and the Jane Goodall Institute (got to see her speak a few months ago, actually, she's wonderful), most Westerners know that they're intelligent, gentle giants who only really become aggressive when threatened. In contrast, they were never such a staple in Japanese culture, which has led to this perception of them as mindless wild beasts. The wide gap between DK's personality in Rare and Retro's games vs. in Nintendo's games reflects those different perceptions almost to a 'T.'

Ah, so that's what it was. I love this analysis as well.

It's a shame that is practically reflected in Nintendo's portrayal since, well, I'd prefer anything than generic characterizations in such characters. Those characters (DK, Cranky, etc.) deserve more than that, as the DK universe is so colourful and fun.

I actually love this analysis. It does reflect in DK's personality as distinguished in various games, of course: the Country series and even the Returns series depict him as a lovable and courageous warrior, a bit dim at times, but ultimately a caring and valiant hero who stands up for his friends and fights for what's right. Other games, up to and including Smash, tend to focus more on the stereotypical "big dumb ape" image, which is a pretty unfortunate archetype to be labeled as when we know he's got much more potential than that.
Although DK installment is probably my favourite, I wish he was given more personality (or at least less stereotyping). I do like how DK seems more cheerful and ain't afraid to show some expression, but there's just something that feels a little "off" more me. Needs some more oomph or something haha.

But this begs the question: how would they portray K. Rool in Smash? And what would you prefer to see? It seems like this time they put a bit more effort to having some characters stay more accureate to their source games in terms of character (and I guess moves). Though, there's always some exceptions.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Reptiles in general tend to get bad rap in fiction. They're nearly always evil or unscrupulous.
Snakes and lizards in particular... turtles actually get a lot of love in all sorts of fiction.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But this begs the question: how would they portray K. Rool in Smash? And what would you prefer to see? It seems like this time they put a bit more effort to having some characters stay more accureate to their source games in terms of character (and I guess moves). Though, there's always some exceptions.
I could see him being akin to his portrayal in Donkey Kong 64: a big, boisterous, obtuse maniac with everything to prove and a helluva lotta pent-up aggression and ire. Just imagine the final boss fight with his showboating antics and constant cries of, "YEEEEAH! YEEEEAH! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!"

I think he'd definitely stand out from the other villains in Smash. Taking a quick glance at them, we can see that they all have their own particular personalities:

:4bowser: Large and in charge, ferocious and feral king with a soft, goofy underbelly
:4bowserjr: Mischievous and crafty, wants to be like Bad King Dad and prove his nastiness to the world
:4dedede: Wacky and silly oaf, a bit of a bully, but can be persuaded to do good things if the need arises
:4ganondorf: Powerful and intimidating warrior, ruthless and obsessed with demonstrating his superiority

Even looking at the non-villainous antagonists and anti-heroes in Smash, they all have distinct personae:

:4wario2: Avaricious and corpulent brute, beats up bad guys and steals treasure for the lulz
:4darkpit: Free-spirited rebel who loves fighting and adores kicking his perennial rival around
:mewtwomelee: Misunderstood abomination with a God complex, believes he is superior to all other living beings
:wolf: Crafty and brash commando, tough as nails but with a good heart

There's definitely a niche there for a big, boisterous bruiser like K. Rool, especially one as undeniably insane and sociopathically unhinged as he is. It's just up to Ninty and Sakurai to realise that and give him his chance to shine~!

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace

When it comes to the original trilogy, it is hard for me to think of him as a valiant hero when he played damsel in distress in two of them (and this is not counting the land series, icaramba)

Overall, I view DK as a loveable, misunderstood D-Bag who selfishly only cares for his bananas. You could say he values teamwork, but I believe he is just using the Kongs for his own personal gain. Yeah, he saved Diddy in 64, but in most games these adventures began because his bananas are on the line. Diddy and Dixie went out of their way to save his sorry behind. I don't see DK doing the same unless his bananas are in danger.

In Retro's games, the Kongs are used for powerups who are trapped in barrels, basically taking a page out of K. Rool's book. Most would think the Tikis and the Snomads are responsible for putting them there, but I will point to Funky's store where he sells the Kongs to DK on the black market. When did Funky become such a butthole? Well its because he isn't the real Funky. It is DK in disguise. Notice we don't see the two together in Tropical Freeze. Or perhaps not? How is he putting them in the barrels that quickly, you ask? It is because there is a third party in the mix. Perhaps, Funky is putting them in there? Or maybe, just maybe, it has been the KREMLINGS all along!? ♪Duh duh duuuuugh!♪

I have no life. :urg:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

The Ironic thing too is, reptiles seem to be more integrated in Japan's popular culture, I mean you have Godzilla, Gamera, other Kaigu movies, the mythical Kappa, dinosaurs, Bowser and his koopa army, etc. You would think K. Rool would have more of a shot at being in more Mario spinoff's let alone Super Smash Bros. At least the fan demand for him is there in both parts though.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
If anyone has never played DKC3 on GBA, I totally recommend it if only for the new world Pacifica. Pretty cool world with awesome levels.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Redid my Gangplank Galleon K. Rool ship in SSBWiiU in stage customization to make it look more like the picture in the second one below it. Again, could'nt make it exactly how I would've liked to due to the lack of options I was given to work with but I think it looks a little more resembling than last time, defintley more freedom for the fighters to move around too.
001.JPG

SSF2_Gangplank_Galleon.png

Plus, a new stage I made in my favortism of some of Nintendo's certain game villains. I suppose you could call it the "villains" stage.

002.JPG

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On the topic at hand, I think that Kong K Rool would be an appropriate persona for K Rool to utilize in a new Kong game. He could infiltrate the ilse as an ape as an attempt to rebuild his army/fame/power after his time ousted- it would explain where he has been all this time after defeat, allow him a new fun role, and also mirror his real world story in a very satirical way.

On another note, How would anyone feel if K Rool was retconned? Would you be happy that he returned, or upset that his legacy was damaged by his character being completely changed? While I'd be happy to see him return no matter what, I'd be a bit remiss to possibly lose any psychotic specificity we had seen in him before.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
On the topic at hand, I think that Kong K Rool would be an appropriate persona for K Rool to utilize in a new Kong game. He could infiltrate the ilse as an ape as an attempt to rebuild his army/fame/power after his time ousted- it would explain where he has been all this time after defeat, allow him a new fun role, and also mirror his real world story in a very satirical way.

How would anyone feel if this were to happen, and K Rool were retconned? Would you be happy that he returned, or upset that his legacy was damaged by his character being completely changed? While I'd be happy to see him return no matter what, I'd be a bit remiss to possibly lose any psychotic specificity we had seen in him before.
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at... not only does this idea not at all reflect the notion of a retcon, but it still would show K. Rool's psychotic mind. It wouldn't damage his character at all, in fact, I think its a brilliant idea. As long as its only a one-off story idea like all his other personas.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at... not only does this idea not at all reflect the notion of a retcon, but it still would show K. Rool's psychotic mind. It wouldn't damage his character at all, in fact, I think its a brilliant idea. As long as its only a one-off story idea like all his other personas.
Two separate topics; the first was an idea I had (and thanks), the second was a question I posed to the room. My quoted text in between got distorted in between because of the daily mandation of thirty minutes where this site cleans up for some reason and is unavailable.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Two separate topics; the first was an idea I had (and thanks), the second was a question I posed to the room. My quoted text in between got distorted in between because of the daily mandation of thirty minutes where this site cleans up for some reason and is unavailable.
Oh, ok, my mistake. Yeah, I often get that issue since I'm often up half the night lol.

No, I completely and totally disagree with the notion of K. Rool being retconned, and honestly, I don't think Retro would retcon them anyway. They didn't do this for DK, Diddy, Cranky, Dixie, Funky, etc. Retconning K. Rool is slightly better than abandoning him all-together, and there's honestly no point to doing so. They should bring back K. Rool the way he was, just like the rest of the cast.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The characters are about as accurate as they always are. . .some are accurate, and then there's Rosalina sacrificing her children, WFT firing off balls of light, Little Mac being way stronger than the opponents he's facing, off the top of my head.

If I were being pessimistic, I'd say that K. Rool would be portrayed in Smash as a weapon-using Bowser, but realistically, if that's the perception of him, he's not getting in anyway. Ideally, his Smash incarnation would have a lot of bumbling, comedic animations, but with weaponry that'd allow for devious traps and dirty tricks. He'd have power, but just throwing his weight around carelessly would backfire as predictably as it does in some of his fights.

It'd set him apart in a game where all of the other heavyweights have little depth to them, other than "hit foes with strong attacks [while making faces if you're Dedede]."

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So here's a thought, if there was another Mario and Sonic game, what if K.Rool was in it as a playable character?
Considering the fact that they haven't added characters in the past two games at all, I find it unlikely. And it sucks because they really should expand the roster of the games. They need to add Diddy Kong first, but honestly, there's not a large expansion they could go on the Mario side (there's still quite a few Sonic characters they can add; namely the rivals).

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ye gods, fund this!

Fund this to infinity and beyond!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
On another note, How would anyone feel if K Rool was retconned? Would you be happy that he returned, or upset that his legacy was damaged by his character being completely changed? While I'd be happy to see him return no matter what, I'd be a bit remiss to possibly lose any psychotic specificity we had seen in him before.
Depends on how and why he's retconned.

I'd be happy to see him back, as long as the essential integrity of his character remains intact and inviolate.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Depending on how you look at canon, Cranky was retconned away from being a snarky jerk with a heart of gold and into a kind old man in Paon's (Japanese-made) games, then back into his former self in Retro's games. His fourth wall breaking got lost along the way, but the character's essence remained intact. I'd like to see K. Rool undergo a similar process (although he wasn't as different in Paon's games as Cranky). He'd maybe not be the exact guy he was in DKC1-3, but close to it.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I would just prefer it if K. Rool stayed evil, it was already enough for them to make Cranky not as cranky anymore, I mean, helping the Kongs wouldn't really be that K. Rool at all. Unless as some mentioned he turns on them near the end and goes back to his own ways. Still, being how K. Rool has always been out to get the kongs is why I like him a little more even than Bowser and Ganon, who have been known to help they''re protagonists from time to time. I'm pretty sure King Dedede was a real villain at one point too until he chaged his ways and became a misunderstood good guy.

Megaman11

Smash Rookie
Wow I'm impressed that this thread has 500+ pages. But then again I'm new here. Has it even been confirmed that there will be more DLC chars. After Mewtwo? Anyone know?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wow I'm impressed that this thread has 500+ pages. But then again I'm new here. Has it even been confirmed that there will be more DLC chars. After Mewtwo? Anyone know?
Sakurai said that Mewtwo was it for now, and he was a test to see if DLC would sell. Given how Mewtwo was the most popular choice worldwide, and Nintendo would be very foolish to not hop onto the DLC train, I'm pretty sure there will be more at some point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"not working on payed DLC" =/= "Mewtwo is the only one".

The statement itself is completely untrue considering Mewtwo will be paid DLC. Anyone who reads any more into that than "no comment" is looking to make a fool of himself.
Think I got the wrong one then, could have sworn he said no more. What makes you think I believe that statement anyway?

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Think I got the wrong one then, could have sworn he said no more. What makes you think I believe that statement anyway?
Exactly. I make it a point not to believe anything Sakurai says at this point. He's proven to be about as trustworthy as K. Rool.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I didn't say you believed it.

My point was that your initial statement was wrong. That sort of misinformation can (and has) spread fast and I like to try and help prevent it if I can.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I didn't say you believed it.

My point was that your initial statement was wrong. That sort of misinformation can (and has) spread fast and I like to try and help prevent it if I can.
Fair enough
Exactly. I make it a point not to believe anything Sakurai says at this point. He's proven to be about as trustworthy as K. Rool.
How can you say that! I'd at least trust K.Rool with my wallet!

Top Bottom