• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TheBlunderbuss

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-7537-1842
I have been a guest here silently watching until today when I joined just to be a supporter. Also, before anyone else does it, I guess I'm one of you...

Last edited:
I have been a guest here silently watching until today when I joined just to be a supporter, (Insert obligatory do not drink the water comment here). Also, before anyone else does it, I guess I'm one of you...

welcome to the krew kutthroat!! you choose the right place,around here we value our members,the kutthroats are actually one of the nicest threads on smashboards,but its been a bit more chaotic recently. .....(also the water thing is from the ridley thread)....bugga bugga.

Last edited:

TheBlunderbuss

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-7537-1842
welcome to the krew kutthroat!! you choose the right place,around here we value our members,the kutthroats are actually one of the nicest threads on smashboards,but its been a bit more chaotic recently. .....(also the water thing is from the ridley thread)....bugga bugga.
I suppose I was watching the Ridley thread too closely as a guest so I assumed it was normal, oh well (still wish he was playable).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Sales assumptions aside, the same marketing strategy that cuts the legs out from underneath "muhrelevance" in the main game still applies with K. Rool DLC; rather than adding a cool character solely to "promote" a preexisting game, a cool character can be added as a jumping-off point for new games. . .a pre-emptive promotion, in other words, kind of like what happened with Pit (albeit unintentionally, since Kid Icarus Reboot was a joke, rather than a plan back in 2005).

This would especially work if a character was hype-worthy and popular among the influential online fans to begin with; it'd sell a fair amount initially, then, rather than its sales decreasing as whatever "OMG new" game fades from the public eye, they'd increase all the way up through that game's pre-release and release periods; a profitable long-term decision, rather than an immediate, short-lived one.
The average gamer is actually 31 years old. Just something you should know.

AS far as DLC, the people who are more likely to be able to afford it are adults than children due to them needing to ask their parents for money whereas adults don't.

D

Deleted member

Do we know for sure whenever or not Shulk got in due to fan demand? Outside of Mega Man and Mewtwo, I haven't heard of any characters that were added due to fan demand.

I just realized that SSB Wii U's release is the 20th anniversary of Donkey Kong Country. Hopefully we'll get the first game on the Virtual Console this Thursday.
I haven't been on here in weeks, so could someone update me on K Rool's chances??
It's 50/50 at this point. Same for every character with no role above that of a trophy. All we can do at this point is wait and see and support King K. Rool whenever possible.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Do we know for sure whenever or not Shulk got in due to fan demand? Outside of Mega Man and Mewtwo, I haven't heard of any characters that were added due to fan demand.

I just realized that SSB Wii U's release is the 20th anniversary of Donkey Kong Country. Hopefully we'll get the first game on the Virtual Console this Thursday.It's 50/50 at this point. Same for every character with no role above that of a trophy. All we can do at this point is wait and see and support King K. Rool whenever possible.
I wasn't aware that we knew for a fact that Mega Man and Mewtwo got in due to demand.

I think demand is a factor for a lot of character choices; not the sole factor, but one taken into consideration. Based on that, I think we can say that some characters, like Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Shulk, owe their inclusion partially due to their popularity.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't aware that we knew for a fact that Mega Man and Mewtwo got in due to demand.

I think demand is a factor for a lot of character choices; not the sole factor, but one taken into consideration. Based on that, I think we can say that some characters, like Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Shulk, owe their inclusion partially due to their popularity.
Mewtwo and Mega Man were in a different league in fan demand than Little Mac and Shulk.

I don't think we would have gotten Mewtwo and Mega Man without fan demand. We could have easily gotten a 3rd gen Pokémon as an advertisement through DLC if Sakurai wanted to promote OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. Instead he picked Mewtwo, generally seen as the most wanted character for this game. That shows that Sakurai is willing to choose fan demand over promotion opportunity. As for Mega Man, Sakurai is incredibly picky with third-parties. We know that Pac-Man was brought up by Shigeru Miyamoto for Brawl but we have nothing that indicates that Mega Man was ever considered for Brawl by anyone in Nintendo. Despite the many things Mega Man had going for him, I strongly believe it's fan demand that got him in the roster.

With Little Mac and Shulk, I doubt that fan demand would have gotten them in if Sakurai had hesitation on them. They're not on the same level as the characters with pre-Brawl level of demand and I've yet to see any evidence that Sakurai looked at popularity outside of the pre-Brawl poll. I would imagine that they got in due to other factors.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, Kutthroats, I finally ordered my Wii U along with a few games. The Wii U bundle comes with MK8 and Nintendoland, Smash preordered of course, I also grabbed Hyrule Warriors, a Wii Remote Plus and a Nunchuk, and lastly I also added a capture card into the mix so I can record footage.

No Tropical Freeze yet. I'll get it in January. I still have other DK games I need to play through.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mewtwo and Mega Man were in a different league in fan demand than Little Mac and Shulk.

I don't think we would have gotten Mewtwo and Mega Man without fan demand. We could have easily gotten a 3rd gen Pokémon as an advertisement through DLC if Sakurai wanted to promote OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. Instead he picked Mewtwo, generally seen as the most wanted character for this game. That shows that Sakurai is willing to choose fan demand over promotion opportunity. As for Mega Man, Sakurai is incredibly picky with third-parties. We know that Pac-Man was brought up by Shigeru Miyamoto for Brawl but we have nothing that indicates that Mega Man was ever considered for Brawl by anyone in Nintendo. Despite the many things Mega Man had going for him, I strongly believe it's fan demand that got him in the roster.

With Little Mac and Shulk, I doubt that fan demand would have gotten them in if Sakurai had hesitation on them. They're not on the same level as the characters with pre-Brawl level of demand and I've yet to see any evidence that Sakurai looked at popularity outside of the pre-Brawl poll. I would imagine that they got in due to other factors.
Well Mewtwo is probably one of the most profitable characters Nintendo could use for DLC, I think he's the only exception for using popularity over some factors.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well Mewtwo is probably one of the most profitable characters Nintendo could use for DLC, I think he's the only exception for using popularity over some factors.
Well, popularity = profitable. So it stands to reason that popular characters are the most ideal for DLC.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Well, Kutthroats, I finally ordered my Wii U along with a few games. The Wii U bundle comes with MK8 and Nintendoland, Smash preordered of course, I also grabbed Hyrule Warriors, a Wii Remote Plus and a Nunchuk, and lastly I also added a capture card into the mix so I can record footage.

No Tropical Freeze yet. I'll get it in January. I still have other DK games I need to play through.
I actually bought my Wii U a few hours before the 50 fact extravaganza. Clearly it was destiny, given who was revealed.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I'm willing to add fellow Kutthroats NNID's. How come no one ever offered to?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Well done, that man! You should totally get The Wonderful 101 while you're at it. ;P

I'm willing to add fellow Kutthroats NNID's. How come no one ever offered to?
Well, since we've already established the foundations of our mutual friendships, why not share other things with each-other - like good times and free games? My NNID is Winterwhite if anybody is interested~

D

Deleted member

We have the Brawl characters that are very highly requested to return. Even if we don't get King K. Rool, it doesn't rule out the possibility of character being added due to fan demand. If anything, Mewtwo's inclusion shows that Sakurai is looking into what we want.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well done, that man! You should totally get The Wonderful 101 while you're at it. ;P
Wonderful 101 is iffy. I don't know if its something I'll like. I mean, I know people keep saying its a great game and more people should buy the game. But if I'm not going to like it, why should I buy it? That's the main problem I have with it right now...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For the record, Mega Man was explicitly added due to fan demand, and, while no other character has had it explicitly connected to them this time around (as opposed to several on Brawl's DOJO), fan demand was still frequently brought up in interviews this time around, moreso than any factor other than "uniqueness [as determined by Sakurai]." At the very least, it was a buzzword thrown around to keep up appearances, if not a factor in the additions of prominent requests Little Mac, Palutena, and Mewtwo (as DLC).

A funny idea just struck me. . .a trap-laying K. Rool moveset is perfect because, everywhere the character goes, he exploits his environment to its breaking point. No reason that shouldn't continue on the many stages of Smash.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wonderful 101 is iffy. I don't know if its something I'll like. I mean, I know people keep saying its a great game and more people should buy the game. But if I'm not going to like it, why should I buy it? That's the main problem I have with it right now...
I was being silly, it's okay. I do recommend it becauser I personally think it's a cracking diamond in the rough, but it may not be your cup of tea, and that's okay. If you've played any of Platinum's other games, you quite earnestly know essentially what to expect. If you appreciate what their games are like, you'll appreciate what this game is like, and will be able to make a decision based on that.

We have the Brawl characters that are very highly requested to return. Even if we don't get King K. Rool, it doesn't rule out the possibility of character being added due to fan demand. If anything, Mewtwo's inclusion shows that Sakurai is looking into what we want.
I concur with this. I daresay Sakurai is at least gleaning some sort of inspiration from fan demand.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But not the most likely. :teeth:
Are you quite sure about that?

Remember, "likeliness" is an entirely arbitrary and subjective concept. In reality, a character is either on the roster or not, either 100% o 0%. "Likeliness" is just our way of measuring what we think will happen, when the truth is that we really don't know what will happen. All we can do is take into account the same factors Sakurai considers when deciding on characters in an attempt to predict him. We consider factors such as popularity, prominence, and uniqueness to reach a conclusion on what characters are the most logical, and thus seem the most likely. After all, this game is business; it is the aim of the developers to produce a product that people will want to buy, so the additions to the game must have some sort of appeal to them if they want it to sell. If they aren't appealing enough, it won't sell as well. By taking not of these appealing qualities, we try to deduce what that ultimate decision of theirs will be. That goes for both the game and potential DLC; both must have enough appeal to be worth a purchase. So, what kind of DLC characters could they choose to generate the most profit? Ideally, prominent, fan favorite characters that can offer something new to the game (Mewtwo, for example, fits this description perfectly). That is the most logical decision for them, as a business, to make; therefore, it seems the most likely.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Are you quite sure about that?

Remember, "likeliness" is an entirely arbitrary and subjective concept. In reality, a character is either on the roster or not, either 100% o 0%. "Likeliness" is just our way of measuring what we think will happen, when the truth is that we really don't know what will happen. All we can do is take into account the same factors Sakurai considers when deciding on characters in an attempt to predict him. We consider factors such as popularity, prominence, and uniqueness to reach a conclusion on what characters are the most logical, and thus seem the most likely. After all, this game is business; it is the aim of the developers to produce a product that people will want to buy, so the additions to the game must have some sort of appeal to them if they want it to sell. If they aren't appealing enough, it won't sell as well. By taking not of these appealing qualities, we try to deduce what that ultimate decision of theirs will be. That goes for both the game and potential DLC; both must have enough appeal to be worth a purchase. So, what kind of DLC characters could they choose to generate the most profit? Ideally, prominent, fan favorite characters that can offer something new to the game (Mewtwo, for example, fits this description perfectly). That is the most logical decision for them, as a business, to make; therefore, it seems the most likely.
I know "likeliness" is entirely arbitrary. Its entirely opinion-based. It really boils down to this:

"Based on all factors that I know, how likely is it this character was/is chosen to be selected?" That's basically what I'm saying when I refer to "likeliness."

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
This may be a longshot, but it may be possible to get a surprise direct on the 21st concerning we are close to DKC's 20th anniversary and didn't get any info on games like Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World in the last direct and little info on Smash other than that reveal trailer and how Amiibo works for this game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So the head of Retro Studios takes notice of King K. Rool and some Golden Sun music is found in SSB4 Wii U.

Things are looking up. :grin:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This may be a longshot, but it may be possible to get a surprise direct on the 21st concerning we are close to DKC's 20th anniversary and didn't get any info on games like Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World in the last direct and little info on Smash other than that reveal trailer and how Amiibo works for this game.
Its a long shot. I DO expect new DK announcements soon, but I do NOT expect a surprise Direct this week. We might get new DK announcements outside of a Direct, or they may be in the February Direct.

So the head of Retro Studios takes notice of King K. Rool and some Golden Sun music is found in SSB4 Wii U.

Things are looking up. :grin:
The head of Retro studios following the kampaign is probably the #1 thing we could ever have hoped to achieve. I definitely see good signs with that. He doesn't need to do anything. Just by following us, he's acknowledging that we want King K. Rool back.

Either he's hinting "hey, hold on a bit, we're going to announce K. Rool's return soon," or he's rethinking his strategy and considering bringing K. Rool back in the next game, or talking to Nintendo/Monster about doing so (if Retro isn't working on a new DK game, and I kinda doubt they are; I really think its Monster who will take over on that front).

But either way, it looks good for K. Rool in general. Not necessarily for Smash, but for the DK franchise. Although honestly, if K. Rool is being planned to be brought back very soon, I do think he'd be a top DLC candidate for Smash for sure.

As for GS, well, yeah, there's two tracks, so GS is getting representation, and one of them is actually a Dark Dawn track, proving they are acknowledging Dark Dawn. I see good things on the GS front as well.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I believe that Sakurai stated that he uses popularity polls as well as whether or not the character will bring something new.
For the record, Sakurai did state in a recent interview (and several others before it, I'm sure) that popularity is a factor he considers when choosing characters.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Kelbaugh following I don't think means anything right this second, but it does show that he is aware of us. And getting acknowledged is a huge step, and more than many fan groups can say.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Kelbaugh following I don't think means anything right this second, but it does show that he is aware of us. And getting acknowledged is a huge step, and more than many fan groups can say.
It COULD mean something if they're already planning to bring K. Rool back in a game that's currently in development. Which is very possible, depending on the variety of options at their disposal.

Majora's Mask 3D is now confirmed. Then there was already Super Mario 64 DS way back when, and Ocarina of Time 3D. Kirby 64 and DK 64 are two big N64 remakes they can also come out with, but DK 64 is one that would require a remake. Kirby 64, and other N64 games, not necessarily, they could get away with a port. But DK64 needs things actually changed.

They're slowly re-releasing all the old DK games. King of Swing is coming out in Japan, DKC/DKL1-3 are out in Japan (DKC1-3 are out in Japan right?) and Europe, there's still the rumored DKRU. DK64 3D would be another prime game to announce.

Four game re-releases are coming out, or have come out, that feature K. Rool as the main antagonist. Technically 7, because of DKL1-3. Now they just need to announce a new game (finally) and we're all set and ready to go, whether its DK64 3D, DKRU, the next DKCR game (not likely as that would probably be another 2 years), etc.

TheBlunderbuss

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-7537-1842
I believe that if a new Donkey Kong Country game is in development, we won't hear about it until April at least, but I do think one is in development and that it will feature K. Rool somehow. After all, Retro wanted to use the Kremlings for DKCR and Miyamoto was the one who told them not to (I think anyways). If he does return it shall be his finest hour.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I've got quite the love-hate relationship with this thread, haha. I never really thought K. Rool had any sort of following until sometime last year when I found this thread (I was anonymoose back then), at which point I really got hype for Smash 4. I thought he was a shoo-in. And then he wasn't, and I was disappointed as heck. And now, with all this talk of K. Rool's triumphant return to the Nintendo universe at large, it's hard not to get hype...but I really don't want to. I want to believe, but I don't.

Addressing the conversation at hand, I'm not so sure of the whole "new DK game" thing. I mean, Tropical Freeze was released February of this year, and there was, like, a 3-ish year gap between that and Returns.
But what do I know. I suppose anything can happen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait...

Retro followed the Krusade?

Link?

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I believe that if a new Donkey Kong Country game is in development, we won't hear about it until April at least, but I do think one is in development and that it will feature K. Rool somehow. After all, Retro wanted to use the Kremlings for DKCR and Miyamoto was the one who told them not to (I think anyways). If he does return it shall be his finest hour.
Not sure about a new Donkey Kong game, Retro is working on something top secret though which began developement a year ago, so is Next Level games, I'd bet that one of them is working on Metroid, and the other Eternal Darkness. Though i'd be happy with a DK game with Krool in it, though he should become more prominent in the Mario sports games too, and we're due for one of those. Krool is second in the DLC poll, the only character beating him is Wolf.

TheBlunderbuss

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-7537-1842
Not sure about a new Donkey Kong game, Retro is working on something top secret though which began developement a year ago, so is Next Level games, I'd bet that one of them is working on Metroid, and the other Eternal Darkness. Though i'd be happy with a DK game with Krool in it, though he should become more prominent in the Mario sports games too, and we're due for one of those. Krool is second in the DLC poll, the only character beating him is Wolf.
I voted in the DLC poll today, also for the DK game topic, I believe there is a ≈32% chance of a DK game being in development and if it is, I think Retro will be helping but not be the most important developer so since Retro is big enough to work on a small project as well as a large project, I think it is feasible a new DK game will come out sometime soon. I would also love a new Eternal Darkness game for Wii U.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I voted in the DLC poll today, also for the DK game topic, I believe there is a ≈32% chance of a DK game being in development and if it is, I think Retro will be helping but not be the most important developer so since Retro is big enough to work on a small project as well as a large project, I think it could be feasible a new DK game will come out. I would also love a new Eternal Darkness game for Wii U.
Well, Retro often works with Monster games with stuff, too. Monster has been helping a lot with Nintendo games recently, both DK and they helped (along with Retro) on MK8, too, as I heard. If anyone is working on DK right now, its probably Monster we should be looking out for.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Its a long shot. I DO expect new DK announcements soon, but I do NOT expect a surprise Direct this week. We might get new DK announcements outside of a Direct, or they may be in the February Direct.

The head of Retro studios following the kampaign is probably the #1 thing we could ever have hoped to achieve. I definitely see good signs with that. He doesn't need to do anything. Just by following us, he's acknowledging that we want King K. Rool back.

Either he's hinting "hey, hold on a bit, we're going to announce K. Rool's return soon," or he's rethinking his strategy and considering bringing K. Rool back in the next game, or talking to Nintendo/Monster about doing so (if Retro isn't working on a new DK game, and I kinda doubt they are; I really think its Monster who will take over on that front).

But either way, it looks good for K. Rool in general. Not necessarily for Smash, but for the DK franchise. Although honestly, if K. Rool is being planned to be brought back very soon, I do think he'd be a top DLC candidate for Smash for sure.

As for GS, well, yeah, there's two tracks, so GS is getting representation, and one of them is actually a Dark Dawn track, proving they are acknowledging Dark Dawn. I see good things on the GS front as well.
This made me...so happy.

Enough to officially announce on this K Rool thread an art project that I will begin working on a few weeks after Smash 4 comes out (conception has been around for a bit for me). The idea in a very short run through is a high end fashion story board done in a blended manga style. I'm be incorporating some of the more intriguing characters to me into a few light stories I'm writing about Smash if it took place in a real world setting, with of course the beloved Nintendo characters we have.

I mention this in the K Rool thread because it dawns on me that perhaps I might take more artistic liberty in my cast of characters.

Anywho, if anyone is in the south florida area, or is interested in brainstorming with me via skype, please hit me up.

Top Bottom