• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The more I think about the more I realize just how disappointed in Smash 4 and Sakurai. He had Bandai Namco and a ton of people working on the game, it was one of the most ambitious Nintendo projects ever in the grand scheme of things and he had almost 2 and a half years of development time, plus almost another year of planning before the game even started development. And in the end sure we'll end up with a portable version and a Wii U version, but I wonder just how much we've lost as a result of that. If they had only needed to develop one version, we wouldn't have had any issues with any characters, more time could have been spent on characters in general, probably meaning we'd have more than what we do right now as well. Add that to the fact you wouldn't have the stage selection so split between the two like we do and probably more attention to stages as well.

It just seems like with all the time and resources that Sakurai had he could have put so much more in and had plenty of time to cater to fans and include even more characters. But I guess we don't know how hard it was to develop both of these games, but it just feels like we're missing stuff as a result of having to deal with that. In a lot of ways the 3DS and Wii U versions I think are going to feel half complete compared to a typical Smash experience. If I could have burned the 3DS version for King K. Rool and even just like 3 more characters I would have in a heat beat honestly. To me at least, and to some others portable Smash was never quite that big of a deal. I'd have rather just had a fully featured Wii U version in the end with more characters.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Welp, all my hope has already been tossed out the window, so I'm not looking to console anyone, but you should be happy anyway. I'm sure at least one of the characters that were confirmed was one that you really wanted to get in, so be happy that you got that character and play as that character a lot. That's what I'm gonna do.
Mega Man fights for everlasting peace, and now he fought for a salvageable roster. :4megaman:

No trophies found for any of the really requested supposedly-snubbed newcomers?

Ohboi.
No yet. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
No trophies found for any of the really requested supposedly-snubbed newcomers?

Ohboi.
Not yet.
Speaking of which : is it true the Karate Joe trophy only has a generic Smash icon? It would pretty much mean that stuff about the Chorus Kids is fake as the series doesn't even have its own icon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The more I think about the more I realize just how disappointed in Smash 4 and Sakurai. He had Bandai Namco and a ton of people working on the game, it was one of the most ambitious Nintendo projects ever in the grand scheme of things and he had almost 2 and a half years of development time, plus almost another year of planning before the game even started development. And in the end sure we'll end up with a portable version and a Wii U version, but I wonder just how much we've lost as a result of that. If they had only needed to develop one version, we wouldn't have had any issues with any characters, more time could have been spent on characters in general, probably meaning we'd have more than what we do right now as well. Add that to the fact you wouldn't have the stage selection so split between the two like we do and probably more attention to stages as well.

It just seems like with all the time and resources that Sakurai had he could have put so much more in and had plenty of time to cater to fans and include even more characters. But I guess we don't know how hard it was to develop both of these games, but it just feels like we're missing stuff as a result of having to deal with that. In a lot of ways the 3DS and Wii U versions I think are going to feel half complete compared to a typical Smash experience. If I could have burned the 3DS version for King K. Rool and even just like 3 more characters I would have in a heat beat honestly. To me at least, and to some others portable Smash was never quite that big of a deal. I'd have rather just had a fully featured Wii U version in the end with more characters.
The thing with this is that you must understand and ask, "what does this mean for the future?"

My personal take:
Now that we have a portable smash, and a home console one, we are not doomed to have to wait so long for smash content. We will likely get two smash games per generation instead of one, and with around the launch within a year or two, for each system. The games may sync each generation, or they may not, but we can expect more work on them in general.
Sakurai has also let go of the reigns, to a certain extent, by working with a larger team. In doing so, he is involving himself in less of a total percentage of the game, which means that we may get further influence in the future, perhaps he even will step down after training someone (though I doubt it, if it is under his studios name).

Essentially, it now exists on both fields, and now it can branch off further in BOTH directions.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

I'm not giving up until we get the "all characters unlocked" notification on the Wii U version.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I. . .am not giving up hope until we see the Wii U version. Call me delusional, setting myself up for disappointment, whatever, my expectations are still at rock bottom. That being said. . .

It makes perfect sense to me that the three most hyped characters, all villains we've seen neither hide nor hair of, would be held back to bring hype to the version of the game that was going to have an uphill battle selling copies from the start. I mean, what else are they gonna use to hype it, a few half-baked single player modes?

Sakurai may be backwards as far as gameplay goes, but he's not completely incompetent with content.
Well, you can't really be in denial about something that isn't certain.

It is technically possible for there to be characters that were held back for the Wii U version. Is that likely? Not really, I don't think. But I think it is within the realm of possibility. Until it's proven beyond any reasonable doubt that there will be no characters beyond this, there's still a chance, no mater how small. In that sense, you can't actually be delusional or in denial about this; you're simply acknowledging every possibility.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I would've take a clone Dixie over nothing, but DK gets next to nothing anyway.

Speaking of clones I'm extremely ticked off with that situation, but not for a reason most have.

Alph, from Pikmin 3, is a unique alt of Olimar and even gets his own name when picked, but he isn't his own character. As clones go, he could've had Rock Pikmin to differentiate, but nope, just an alt. Fire Emblem gets a clone, Kid Icarus gets a clone, Mario gets a previously cut returning clone, and all these franchises have at least two reps already. Pikmin only has one, even though it's arguably bigger/well known then at least the former two.

It really sickens me how franchises that already have the lion's share get even more crap, and smaller series that don't warrant a whole lot get way more then needed, while others from both ends of the spectrum get jack-squat in the process.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If there is one thing that bothers me, it is when detractors try to stifle hope simply because they do not have any. What an unsatisfying way to live life.
I assure you, acceptance and appreciation of what you have is a much more satisfying way to live than to live in greed always wanting more.

Expectations? Never. Clear hope given the logical factors which drive the game, satisfying fans and making money? These two things nearly assure we are not done, just break it down.
Yes these factors do drive the the game. But they need to be balanced with the resources it costs to yield them.
A game like smash takes huge resources to create a new character and needs vigorous balance testing each time.

It's probably not worth it for them to assemble the development team back together after the game is already being sold just to sell some DLC.
Plus that would diminish the character hype for Smash 5.

Last edited:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
They're have been franchises that have been underrepresented and neglected in Smash before, but I don't think any franchise has ever been literally insulted to the degree the DK franchise is in Smash 3DS. Despite having a revitalization that sold even better than Skyward Sword, DK can't even get a new stage. The one and only thing that was done for the DK franchise in this game was the addition of DK's roll attack.

I'm really curious as to just why Sakurai hates DK so much? There must be some reason. Nothing makes any sense at all.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hope you guys don't mind me using the thread as my place to voice my opinions

I'm disappointed with the way the roster turned out like everyone else. I was a supporter of the big 3 since day 1, Mega Man was my most wanted, then Little Mac, and the big 3, and of course after the announcement of the former 2, I thought as long as I had Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley, this roster would be perfect. As long as those 3 were in the game, Sakurai could add Shrek, Pichu, whoever you don't like, and I'd be fine. Then Robin's announcement came, a character who pretty much got in due to being original and requested by the fans. I thought the big 3 were shoe-ins, Sakurai was really listening to the fans with this game and these 3 were like fan outcry pixelized into unique fighters. Then the leak came, only 5 new characters left? 2 being Dark Pit (A character based on an alternate costume in Brawl) and Dr. Mario (A literal alternate costume for Mario), while no Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo in sight? Can't be true, Sakurai is smarter than this. Then of course, we get actual footage of the leak, but along with the news of 5 other characters. "I'm fine with this" I thought "At least 2 of the big 3 are gonna be in". Then cut to today, the full roster is just the leak and MOTHER ****ING LEAKER proves he has a literal ass for a face.

I guess this is Sakurai's game, so if he wants to make it WASN'T KID ICARUS UPRISING GREAT? (also there might be some Nintendo characters, not gonna make any promises though), I guess he can, but it's still a terrible excuse. Just because it's Sakurai's game doesn't mean it's free from outside criticism. Smash may have started as this little project Sakurai did on the side, but now it's both a respected fighting game series and a celebration of Nintendo's history and games, it's not just whatever Sakurai wants anymore. Yes, he almost worked himself to death to make this game a reality, that doesn't mean we're not aloud to feel human emotions when he tugs at our chains with teases that lead to jack-all. He should have never said he was considering adding Mewtwo at the X and Y conference and he shouldn't have altered Greninja's shadow model to look like Mewtwo, he should have straight up said Ridley was a boss on the Pyrosphere, and he probably shouldn't have put the Kremlings in Smash Run, or at least not make such a big deal about it.

I still can't be mad at this game though, ya, the character selection is god awful, but everything else is so good. The characters that did get in look so amazing, I still marvel at Mega Man's design to this day. Seeing the attention to detail this game has in everything is simply amazing. Hell, even ad-mist the disappointment I managed to find something to be hyped about, the Magicant stage is such a great tribute to both Mother 1 and Earthbound. I can definitely see why some people may just stick to Project M, but I personally can't help but have a day 1 buy with the Wii U version, maybe I'll even pick up the 3DS version, who knows.

These 3 characters will always be in our hearts and even if they're not in this game, it's not like they're gone. Maybe one day Mewtwo will be the focus of a Pokemon game, maybe one day we'll be able to play as Ridley in a multiplayer mode for a Metroid game, maybe one day Nintendo will finally let Rare use K. Rool and the Kremlings in DKCR game. Until then, I had an amazing 15 months speculating and discussing just what this game will be like, even if it wasn't what we imagined. Perhaps K. Rool and Mewtwo will be DLC (Ridley probably won't, cause y'know, that whole boss thing) but just being able to imagine and discuss the infinite possibilities with this game has been an amazing experience I probably won't ever forget.

So, thank you, ever single one of you.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I would've take a clone Dixie over nothing, but DK gets next to nothing anyway.

Speaking of clones I'm extremely ticked off with that situation, but not for a reason most have.

Alph, from Pikmin 3, is a unique alt of Olimar and even gets his own name when picked, but he isn't his own character. As clones go, he could've had Rock Pikmin to differentiate, but nope, just an alt. Fire Emblem gets a clone, Kid Icarus gets a clone, Mario gets a previously cut returning clone, and all these franchises have at least two reps already. Pikmin only has one, even though it's arguably bigger/well known then at least the former two.

It really sickens me how franchises that already have the lion's share get even more crap, and smaller series that don't warrant a whole lot get way more then needed, while others from both ends of the spectrum get jack-squat in the process.
Speaking of clones:
i made this in honor of missing characters

Last edited:

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Honstely, K rool can't be in Smash anyways, noone would be statisfied with the character unless he was singing songs with his cartoon voice.

And sadly that dream would be too amazing to fulfill

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
The lack of stages, extra space for a few more characters, and no other reps than diddy and dk is a very fishy scenario. I could see the wii u one being more polished and hyped. Marketing wise, they need to differentiate between the two system games. I explain this in the following video. I will be trying to upload more over the next day or so depending on how Ninty's big digital event goes tomorrow. I will not rule out that k.rool may not make it at all, but the blatant lack of donkey kong stages and / or characters is fishy considering kremlings made it into the 3ds game.

** edit **
lol forgot video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Jv9WlSyBg

Last edited:

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Oh goodness where to even begin.

First of all I wanna apologize to all the K.Rool supporters. No actually I want to apologize to all the fans of the DK series all together, for this middle finger given to it this installation of smash bros. What an upset, I was even starting to get excited at the idea of semi clone Dixie Kong being in the game but it looks like we wont even get that.

Is it wrong to assume that one of the most wanted smash bros characters would have a good chance of getting in the fourth version of the game? Like lets not beat around the bush, there are a lot of characters wanted in Smash Bros, but I think one of the most obvious ones that stick out is K.Rool. So I would assume that it wouldn't be too surprising, if I just figured he would be a shoe in by this point. I felt the same way about King Dedede last game and he got in, so why is it that everyone had to spend years just praying that such a major nintendo villain would at least have more mention then a trophy. Have we even seen a K.Rool trophy in the 3DS version or did he get demoted from that as well?!

Look Sakurai, im not gonna lie, I am still very excited to play your game. For the "MOST" part you have made some very awesome decisions. I dont think I ever would of found myself getting excited to play the Dog from Duck Hunt, but dear god you pulled it off. Who would of EVER guessed we would get a game were we could see a fight between 4 of gamings largest icons duke it out on one stage?! And yet for every amazing wonder you put in the game, you seem to slack off or just slap your fans in the face.

Why does Falco still have a Land master for a final smash? For someone who prefers the air, he certainly loves his land vehicles. Could you really not think of two diffrent Final smashes for Sheik and Zelda. I know they are suppose to be the same person, but it looks way to akward seeing Sheik pull out that golden bow. You know Toon link has a huge collection of his own games now, you could pull a bit more of a semi clone there at the very least. Is it really that hard to think of a move set for Ganondorf? Does he have to keep borrowing Captain Falcons?

But even all of these poor choices pale in comparison to the massive pandering to his own games this time around. Honestly back in brawl, he seemed so humble. He talked about how before in melee and the first smash how he didnt add king dedede or more of his own characters because he didnt wanna over saturate the game with his own franchises. And so when we finally did get King Dedede and Meta knight i was happy for him. Those two and kirby pretty much complete that franchise, there isint many other characters you really need for it. Hell it was cool to see Pit back then as well. I didnt know who he was, but thats what you gotta love about smash bros, it educates you on Nintendo history and makes you love even more about it.

And then Smash 4 comes out. The game is over saturated with Kid Icarus items, assist trophies, the Smash Run mini game is teeming with Kid Icarus enemies, while donkey kong fans are just thankful they didnt completely forget about kritters. But even past all that, I was fine, I really didnt mind it to much. Hell when Palutena was introduced, I was happy for the Kid Icarus fans. I was a little annoyed that she got her own unique special moves all completely different from each other while everyone else got slightly altered varations of their B moves, but whatever, she is goddess I guess it makes sense.

You would think that I would be mad at Doctor Mario for coming back, but no, i was more peeved off with Dark Pit, and it only started last night during the leak videos. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when the earlier leaks said he would be in, that he would at least be a semi clone or use that neat weapon people kept posting pics of, that he would bring something new to the table. But no, he is a perfect clone, and not even one that looks diffrent like Roy or Pichu or Toon Link. He is literally a palette swap, and I know Dark Pit fans would get miffed with me because he is another character in his game, but why does he need his own slot?!?! We literally just started getting alternate costumes and recolors. Olimar can become Alph and Bowser jr can become SEVEN, say it with me, SEVEN diffrent characters all with their own voices and names read out by the announcer. Dark Pit shouldn't be his own character, he should be a skin!!! There is no reason they shouldn't of been able to just have done the same thing they did with Olimar and Alph.

Im sorry I went off topic, it just really miffs me off, that we so many fans, have to wait in agonizing wonder for months if not years if a very popular much wanted character like King K. Rool is even going to appear in the game, while junk like this happens. I left Smash Boards for awhile when I lost hope for King K. Rool, but I was slowly starting to gain faith he might be in just a little before this leak. And I really wanted to come back here saying "I was wrong for doubting you guys, I should of never doubted the King." Instead we all have to wait for however long it takes to make Smash 5 to come out, and even then no gaurentees we will get anything.

I understand Sakurai likes to troll and likes to pull out things we never expected. I am actually still very excited to try out Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt Dog, they look very amusing. But there is a time for joking around, and a time for doing the unexpected. I think I can safely say for everyone, that just for once, I wish Sakurai would listen to the fans and deliver obvious, high demand characters.

The best i can hope for is that Sakurai is holding off a few secret characters that will only be unlocked when the Wii U version comes out, to rebuild hype, but even then, my hope for my favorite Croc King is at an all time low. So once again, I am truly sorry for all the supporters of K.Rool, and I will apologize for all the Dark Pit fans for bashing him if you like him in your opinion.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice

First of all I wanna apologize to all the K.Rool supporters. No actually I want to apologize to all the fans of the DK series all together, for this middle finger given to it this installation of smash bros. What an upset, I was even starting to get excited at the idea of semi clone Dixie Kong being in the game but it looks like we wont even get that.

Is it wrong to assume that one of the most wanted smash bros characters would have a good chance of getting in the fourth version of the game? Like lets not beat around the bush, there are a lot of characters wanted in Smash Bros, but I think one of the most obvious ones that stick out is K.Rool. So I would assume that it wouldn't be too surprising, if I just figured he would be a shoe in by this point. I felt the same way about King Dedede last game and he got in, so why is it that everyone had to spend years just praying that such a major nintendo villain would at least have more mention then a trophy. Have we even seen a K.Rool trophy in the 3DS version or did he get demoted from that as well?!

Look Sakurai, im not gonna lie, I am still very excited to play your game. For the "MOST" part you have made some very awesome decisions. I dont think I ever would of found myself getting excited to play the Dog from Duck Hunt, but dear god you pulled it off. Who would of EVER guessed we would get a game were we could see a fight between 4 of gamings largest icons duke it out on one stage?! And yet for every amazing wonder you put in the game, you seem to slack off or just slap your fans in the face.

Why does Falco still have a Land master for a final smash? For someone who prefers the air, he certainly loves his land vehicles. Could you really not think of two diffrent Final smashes for Sheik and Zelda. I know they are suppose to be the same person, but it looks way to akward seeing Sheik pull out that golden bow. You know Toon link has a huge collection of his own games now, you could pull a bit more of a semi clone there at the very least. Is it really that hard to think of a move set for Ganondorf? Does he have to keep borrowing Captain Falcons?

But even all of these poor choices pale in comparison to the massive pandering to his own games this time around. Honestly back in brawl, he seemed so humble. He talked about how before in melee and the first smash how he didnt add king dedede or more of his own characters because he didnt wanna over saturate the game with his own franchises. And so when we finally did get King Dedede and Meta knight i was happy for him. Those two and kirby pretty much complete that franchise, there isint many other characters you really need for it. Hell it was cool to see Pit back then as well. I didnt know who he was, but thats what you gotta love about smash bros, it educates you on Nintendo history and makes you love even more about it.

And then Smash 4 comes out. The game is over saturated with Kid Icarus items, assist trophies, the Smash Run mini game is teeming with Kid Icarus enemies, while donkey kong fans are just thankful they didnt completely forget about kritters. But even past all that, I was fine, I really didnt mind it to much. Hell when Palutena was introduced, I was happy for the Kid Icarus fans. I was a little annoyed that she got her own unique special moves all completely different from each other while everyone else got slightly altered varations of their B moves, but whatever, she is goddess I guess it makes sense.

You would think that I would be mad at Doctor Mario for coming back, but no, i was more peeved off with Dark Pit, and it only started last night during the leak videos. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when the earlier leaks said he would be in, that he would at least be a semi clone or use that neat weapon people kept posting pics of, that he would bring something new to the table. But no, he is a perfect clone, and not even one that looks diffrent like Roy or Pichu or Toon Link. He is literally a palette swap, and I know Dark Pit fans would get miffed with me because he is another character in his game, but why does he need his own slot?!?! We literally just started getting alternate costumes and recolors. Olimar can become Alph and Bowser jr can become SEVEN, say it with me, SEVEN diffrent characters all with their own voices and names read out by the announcer. Dark Pit shouldn't be his own character, he should be a skin!!! There is no reason they shouldn't of been able to just have done the same thing they did with Olimar and Alph.

Im sorry I went off topic, it just really miffs me off, that we so many fans, have to wait in agonizing wonder for months if not years if a very popular much wanted character like King K. Rool is even going to appear in the game, while junk like this happens. I left Smash Boards for awhile when I lost hope for King K. Rool, but I was slowly starting to gain faith he might be in just a little before this leak. And I really wanted to come back here saying "I was wrong for doubting you guys, I should of never doubted the King." Instead we all have to wait for however long it takes to make Smash 5 to come out, and even then no gaurentees we will get anything.

I understand Sakurai likes to troll and likes to pull out things we never expected. I am actually still very excited to try out Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt Dog, they look very amusing. But there is a time for joking around, and a time for doing the unexpected. I think I can safely say for everyone, that just for once, I wish Sakurai would listen to the fans and deliver obvious, high demand characters.

The best i can hope for is that Sakurai is holding off a few secret characters that will only be unlocked when the Wii U version comes out, to rebuild hype, but even then, my hope for my favorite Croc King is at an all time low. So once again, I am truly sorry for all the supporters of K.Rool, and I will apologize for all the Dark Pit fans for bashing him if you like him in your opinion.
I couldn't agree more. Sakurai is a heavenly angel on some things but a bastardious devil on others. "Oh, you wanted an under-represented franchise to get a character that they deserve? Oh yeah we got that covered, here's Dark Pit as a clone of Pit. Did I I mention that Olimar, a lone rep of his series, has another character that could be unique enough to warrant a second spot that we made an alternate skin of Olimar? Also, We literally have Mario in a costume as a separate character. We listen to the fans!!!"

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, considering that the King K. Rool Support Thread will be locked this coming Saturday, I decided to create a Social Group that allies us with the Ridley, Isaac, and Mewtwo fanbases to help all our candidates become DLC material.

Here is a link if anybody is interested and whoever wants to be the owner of the Thread should let me know:

http://smashboards.com/threads/king-k-rool-support-discussion-thread.367341/

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Well, guys, it's been a great ride. :) See you when the next Smash is announced in a few years time. And thus I return into hiding.

Godspeed, Kutthroats.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Well, at least you guys had a head start with the Kremling Kampaign which gained some steam.

---

It's ironic, all this time it was never Dixie vs K. Rool, it was Donkey Kong Country vs Sakurai.
Seriously. After all the K. Rool vs. Dixe fights, neither made it in. Is it poetic justice? When we probably should have been standing together to get more DK content? You tell me.

As of now, I'm going to assume that this is the final roster, but I suppose it is technically possible that something like that could happen.

One thing I am curious about is the matter of trophies; there's no way that the big 3 didn't at least get trophies in the game if they aren't playable. So... where are they?
I know!

Ridley is a boss, K. Rool is a trophy, and Mewtwo is in a pokeball summon.

Kidding, but I would suspect that the Japanese players will have everything unlocked soon. Shouldn't take no more then a week, and I suspect two to three days we'll find out everything about the game. We'll see then if they have trophies or not. Don't count on DLC; if the game even gets DLC, I expect cut veterans over new characters.

I want them in. I hope they get a chance for DLC.
But as of now THIS is the final roster, and i think every single one of us knows that this whole "Big 3" thing was only a Smashboards thing. No one should feel owed for characters we all knew could very well not be in the game, so i suggest to just calm down and digest it.
Not entirely true. I think you're slightly underestimating just many people wanted Mewtwo, Ridley, and a DK newcomer. It's not just a Smashboards thing.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

You don't need to apologize. From what I've seen and heard of Dark Pit, even the fans of him are insulted he's a direct clone of Pit instead of branching out with his own skills (You know, like he did in the game he initially became a character in?)

If ANYONE needs to apologize, it's the guy who's been stringing along fans of notable Nintendo characters so he could make "Screwball Roster Decisions: The Fighter!"

It's like the man thought: "I gave them their precious Megaman, I figured out how to make their precious Villager a fighter, and I gave the westerners their precious boxer. Time for marketing icons, clones, oddballs, and my own characters to take up the rest of the roster! They can't complain, since I've given them so much already!"

Ugh... The more I think about it, the madder I get. There had better be some serious damage control at the press release tomorrow.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
This hurts to read.. but it's the goddamned truth.. honestly, somebody needs to go 50% on board with sakurai in making the decisions from here on out. Someone with an actual insight on what the fans want.. Dark Pit is utter trash as a slot.. what a wasted amount of space.. seriously..mirror imaged clone gets a slot... I do not know where to begin..

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Hey guys, considering that the King K. Rool Support Thread will be locked this coming Saturday, I decided to create a Social Group that allies us with the Ridley, Isaac, and Mewtwo fanbases to help all our candidates become DLC material.

Here is a link if anybody is interested and whoever wants to be the owner of the Thread should let me know:

http://smashboards.com/threads/king-k-rool-support-discussion-thread.367341/
Wait why is it getting closed? the wii-u version isn't even close to out yet, and that's the final hurrah

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This hurts to read.. but it's the goddamned truth.. honestly, somebody needs to go 50% on board with sakurai in making the decisions from here on out. Someone with an actual insight on what the fans want.. Dark Pit is utter trash as a slot.. what a wasted amount of space.. seriously..mirror imaged clone gets a slot... I do not know where to begin..
I think what bothers me about Dark Pit (besides the obvious) is that in a few years time, he'll probably be looked back on as a good decision. I've already seen a few people (not here thankfully) defend his inclusion because of Sakurai's 'epic trolling'.

I'm well aware he didn't take K. Rool or whoever's spot, but I still think he's an absolutely rubbish decision who should have been an alt at most.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Looking more into it, I don't blame Dark Pit and Dr. Mario for K. Rool's exclusion. I blame them for Wolf and Lucas's exclusion. Even if Sakurai had to add a clone newcomer, he should of made it Alph instead of Dark Pit. DK, Metroid, Star Fox, Earthbound and Pikmin are being treated badly this time around, while series like Kid Icarus get excessive treatment.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I want them in. I hope they get a chance for DLC.
But as of now THIS is the final roster, and i think every single one of us knows that this whole "Big 3" thing was only a Smashboards thing. No one should feel owed for characters we all knew could very well not be in the game, so i suggest to just calm down and digest it.
Zynux is right on the money here.

Not entirely true. I think you're slightly underestimating just many people wanted Mewtwo, Ridley, and a DK newcomer. It's not just a Smashboards thing.
Ridley may be the one exception. In reality, the "Big 3" would be Mewtwo, Mega Man, and King K. Rool. Ridley is still pretty damn close, though. According to polling data we've found, Mewtwo is the #1 overall most requested character in both Japan and the west. K. Rool is the #3 most requested. (Mega Man was #2). Ridley, on the other hand, is only #5 in the west, he's not in Japan's top 5 at all. That said, the west is bigger, so his amount of requests would still be #5 overall.

"Big 3" is quite a fitting title, really. Ridley isn't the #3 most wanted overall, but his Smashboards presence probably helped it a bit, so he got lumped into the Big 3 (although Little Mac was actually more requested, again, based on the polling data found).

Its not just a "Smashboards" thing. Smashboards coined the term, true, but Mewtwo and K. Rool really were #1 and #3 overall (Ridley was merely #5).

Before this thread gets locked, I never got a proper initiation :p

Sadly, this'll probably be the last initiation we have here.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Looking more into it, I don't blame Dark Pit and Dr. Mario for K. Rool's exclusion. I blame them for Wolf and Lucas's exclusion. Even if Sakurai had to add a clone newcomer, he should of made it Alph instead of Dark Pit. DK, Metroid, Star Fox, Earthbound and Pikmin are being treated badly this time around, while series like Kid Icarus get excessive treatment.
amen! I feel like dk got the most shafted.. and why starfox is etting shafted with a new game coming is beyond me.

honestly sakurai may have lost his shine.. then again its not fair to say that when i havent even played it yet nor heard an explanation via direct tomorrow.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
I think the thing hurting K. Rool mostly is that ultimately, he's not very distinct or memorable.

His first appearance is the one most people are familiar with, and it's a very by the numbers and pedestrian boss fight. His incarnations for the next two games aren't really compatible with it, either. Generally, he's overly similar to Bowser as well as a "big round reptile monarch".

The Kremlings themselves are some of the coolest and most diverse enemies in the Nintendo cast, but K. Rool is just kind of... forgettable. The fact that the two games that followed had to put another "hat" on him just goes to show that his basic incarnation is wholly generic.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the thing hurting K. Rool mostly is that ultimately, he's not very distinct or memorable.

His first appearance is the one most people are familiar with, and it's a very by the numbers and pedestrian boss fight. His incarnations for the next two games aren't really compatible with it, either. Generally, he's overly similar to Bowser as well as a "big round reptile monarch".

The Kremlings themselves are some of the coolest and most diverse enemies in the Nintendo cast, but K. Rool is just kind of... forgettable. The fact that the two games that followed had to put another "hat" on him just goes to show that his basic incarnation is wholly generic.
You clearly know nothing about King K. Rool.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

If anything you said were true, K. Rool wouldn't be one of the top 3 most wanted newcomers. But he is, so you're wrong. :shades:

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
I've played all three DKCR games. You're going to have to use K. Rool, you have to use his DKCR incarnation. Adding in elements from Kaptain and K. Roolstein would make for a character without much theme or consistency; is he a monarch, a pirate, or a mad scientist?

As he's most notable, what does he bring to the table at all? What can you do to make a decent fighter out of this?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I've played all three DKCR games. You're going to have to use K. Rool, you have to use his DKCR incarnation. Adding in elements from Kaptain and K. Roolstein would make for a character without much theme or consistency; is he a monarch, a pirate, or a mad scientist?

As he's most notable, what does he bring to the table at all? What can you do to make a decent fighter out of this?
Maybe if you just looked at the OP...

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Yes.

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
A bunch of fan arguments and ideas for how to implement him don't really strike me as proof that he'd work as a viable fighter, to be honest.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
A bunch of fan arguments and ideas for how to implement him don't really strike me as proof that he'd work as a viable fighter, to be honest.
Ok, here's your proof: :4wiifit::4villager::gw::rob:

If these clowns can be viable fighters, there's no way in hell K. Rool can't.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Really? Was the Ridley thread being closed such a big deal that you crazy, spiteful detractors had to spill out here?

Let's make one thing very, very, VERY clear, before the inevitable escalation occurs. Nothing you can say will shake peoples' opinion that K. Rool can work as a fighter. You're free to disagree, but stubbornly posting here like this just makes you look bad.

(Also, the whole thing is moot, considering that as far as we know, he's not in, so you're just adding insult to injury.)

RazorsawTF

Smash Cadet
Uh, no. Villager's moveset all relates to stuff he can do in the game, and doesn't fundamentally change or confuse his identity. Rob and Trainer's moves are all themed around fitness. Game & Watch's identity is built around being decided retro, and ROB's all tie into his mechanical nature.

King K. Rool doesn't have the excuse of being a walking retro game nod like Pac-Man and G&W do. None of his abilities have creative or thematic synergy that says "yes, these all work together." They're a bunch of different things that work together separately but ultimately say nothing on their own.

Really? Was the Ridley thread being closed such a big deal that you crazy, spiteful detractors had to spill out here?

Let's make one thing very, very, VERY clear, before the inevitable escalation occurs. Nothing you can say will shake peoples' opinion that K. Rool can work as a fighter. You're free to disagree, but stubbornly posting here like this just makes you look bad.

(Also, the whole thing is moot, considering that as far as we know, he's not in, so you're just adding insult to injury.)
okay, wow. I haven't insulted anybody. all I've tried to do is make a reasoned argument.

I wasn't aware this was a "positive thoughts on the character" only club.

Last edited:
Top Bottom