• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Exegguter

Smash Lord
The amount of attention KI (ew) is getting compared to DK and Metroid really sickens me in this game when it's supposed to be an all-star Nintendo beat 'em up... Ulgh XD

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
The amount of attention KI (ew) is getting compared to DK and Metroid really sickens me in this game when it's supposed to be an all-star Nintendo beat 'em up... Ulgh XD
Agreed. I've said before that Sakurai still has a chance to redeem himself as long as the game isn't out yet, but what little faith I had left in him is rapidly diminishing...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Sakurai is losing his unpredictibality as I believe that's why these majority of newcomers for this game have been made. I predict dissapointment for next week. Let's see if the Samurai can prove me wrong.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Honestly I don't even care if fire emblem and kid Icarus get 10 reps each. All I want is Ridley and a DK rep. Is that so much to ask for? People say us metroid and DK fans are obnoxious and should be thankful we get stuff? What stuff? The crap sakurai has been giving metroid and DK for years while obscure series who barely mean much to Nintendo get everything metroid and DK wish it got? Yes I'm very butthurt and will be more butthurt if Ridley and a new DK rep aren't in smash 4.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If K. Rool or any character is a boss or AT that doesn't have a clone, it's all over.

Although let me reiterate: If it's KING K. Rool who is that, it's over.

If not, WE STILL GOT A SHOT!!!

Still this new King Dedede Final Smash (where it combines Masked Dedede and the Poppy Bros as an attack) has me worried this roster is the roster of "Super Sakurai Bros. Uprising roster" (with the more and more likely Bandanna Dee), and not "the best Smash game roster possible for Smash 4".
Maybe maybe not, don't forget that Smash Bros trophy description where Kaptain K.Rool is apparently K.Rools brother. It could be that way in Japan which would allow for 2 K.Rools. IF he's appeares in the game as anything but playable. If anything the possibility of Bandana Dee makes me kid of happy cause if he's in that means the last remaining characters are completely unknown.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Most likely there's not multiple pages, the stages will just resize like the characters do. My bet would be on a new row of stages. I HIGHLY doubt its the full stage list, though. There's probably about 6 missing or so.

Punch Out Wii came out in 2009. ONE ****ING YEAR SINCE K. ROOL'S LAST APPEARANCE!

Sorry, I think that kills any arguments against K. Rool. I know you're not trying to be a K. Rool detractor, but honestly, I'm just saying... Little Mac right there. His last game was five years ago. K. Rool, six years ago. Hardly a major deal here, and I mean, its not like K. Rool hasn't appeared at all. DK Land 1-3 popped up on virtual console in Japan as well. Little Mac can hardly be considered "in the spotlight" when his last game came out five years ago...
Oh? You mean that Mario Super Sluggers game? Did K. Rool do anything that was so significant in that game? No? He was just as important as Mario and Goomba which isn't much to brag about. There's a reason I prefer to put much stock in main games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World and not spin-off games like Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast and Mario Party 9.

I think that Little Mac's franchise getting revived after nearly 15 years is much more significant than K. Rool getting a playable role in one of the countless Mario spin-off games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh? You mean that Mario Super Sluggers game? Did K. Rool do anything that was so significant in that game? No? He was just as important as Mario and Goomba which isn't much to brag about. There's a reason I prefer to put much stock in main games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World and not spin-off games like Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast and Mario Party 9.

I think that Little Mac's franchise getting revived after nearly 15 years is much more significant than K. Rool getting a playable role in one of the countless Mario spin-off games.
It doesn't matter what his role was, Sluggers was his last appearance

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ah, the classic "main series game" dodge...where characters don't just have to jump the "hurdle" of being in a game a user deems "relevant," but also a game that user deems to be "main series." As if everyone preaching muhrelevance wouldn't collectively lose their s*** if K. Rool got into a new Mario Kart or something.

Ah, the classic "main series game" dodge...where characters don't just have to jump the "hurdle" of being in a game a user deems "relevant," but also a game that user deems to be "main series." As if everyone preaching muhrelevance wouldn't collectively lose their s*** if K. Rool got into a new Mario Kart or something.
I'd love to see K.Rool in Mario Kart one day.

Kickback

Smash Cadet

Love how you Dislike the K.rool fans yet you are in here arguing with us. let me ask when did you last see duck hunt dog ? How significant was he to the game? How many games has he been in from his first aperence to now?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I for one always pointed out at Chrom had no chance due to the inability to be unique, and said that Lucina would be more likely (due to being at least female). And I got flamed at HARD. Sakurai literally said the same thing as me lol.

I don't really get that. It's not as if she plays anything like Diddy in her native games. They're very different. And there's an entire moveset that can be built around her hair, a tool that no other character uses in Smash. Not to mention the possibility of her guitar, bubble gum, animal buddies and other such things that neither Diddy nor DK use.

Of course K. Rool has the ability to be VERY unique too. It just irks me when people say that Dixie can't be unique.

IMO they both deserve to be in, and they should both be 100% unique characters. I don't like people bashing Dixie :(.
The hair could maybe do anything for her normals in terms of making them more unique, but people never propose it for her specials other than the token recovery.

Pre Tropical Freeze, this is a moveset I remember people suggesting:

Neutral B: Tiny's feather crossbow
Side B: Blow bubblegum
Up B: Hair Recovery
Down B: Guitar

She has so much potential that even fans suggest stealing from Tiny? She has the token bubblegum gun now because of Retro, but these people had no qualms suggesting giving her moves based off idle animations and victory animations simply because she does nothing. Should Mario kill people with the flagpole from the end of his levels? No, because he should do things he actually does, and unlike Dixie, Mario does do plenty of things.

Animal Buddies could be given to absolutely any Kong. I suppose you could argue that the DKC3 exclusive Ellie could be used and make more sense for her specifically, but then we have Ellie in a prominent role while Rambi, Enguarde, and Squitter get jack all.

List of K. Rool's abilities/powers

Originating in DKC1
Super strength
Supernatural jumping
Brief bursts of speed
Crown toss
Cannonball rain (No reason this has to be relegated to Final Smash)
Playing dead
Minions (Probably Kritter, Klump, Krusha, or Klap Trap, though I've done a moveset with Klobber/Knocka)
Beastial crocodile attacks (Gives mouth and tail as extra attacking limbs)

Originating in DKC2
Blunderbuss physical attacks
Blunderbuss cannonballs
Blunderbuss spiked cannonballs
Blunderbuss barrels
Blunderbuss freezing stun cloud
Blunderbuss control reversal cloud
Blunderbuss slowing cloud
Blunderbuss suction, moving around other projectiles
Blunderbuss bouncing the projectiles off the ground
Blunderbuss fire
Blunderbuss propelling him with fire
Opens door for general pirate flavoring
Invisibility
Alt #1

Originating in DKC3
The propeller pack everybody suggests for recovery
Electric barrier/projectile
KAOS summon (Obviously not in main set, but good Final Smash fodder)
Opens door for general mad scientist flavoring
Alt #2

Originating in DK64
Opens door for general boxer flavoring
Boxing glove boomerang
Buttocks shockwaves
Charge, comparable to DKC1
Invisibility (Without the blunderbuss)
Blast-o-matic (Another popular choice for Final Smash, K. Rool has many)
Alt #3

Originating in Lands
Belly flop (Land 1)
Bombs (Land 3)

Originating in crappy Paon/spin off games
Giant form (This and below are usually negatives for how "generic" he is, though he only has them once obtaining a "god" power up)
Fire breath
That flying machine that resembles Robotnik's Eggpod
Flying barrel vehicle (This or above are possible alternate recoveries)
Alt #4 (Pharaoh)
Alt #5 (Pilot)

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
The hair could maybe do anything for her normals in terms of making them more unique, but people never propose it for her specials other than the token recovery.

She has so much potential that even fans suggest stealing from Tiny? She has the token bubblegum gun now because of Retro, but these people had no qualms suggesting giving her moves based off idle animations and victory animations simply because she does nothing. Should Mario kill people with the flagpole from the end of his levels? No, because he should do things he actually does, and unlike Dixie, Mario does do plenty of things.

Animal Buddies could be given to absolutely any Kong. I suppose you could argue that the DKC3 exclusive Ellie could be used and make more sense for her specifically, but then we have Ellie in a prominent role while Rambi, Enguarde, and Squitter get jack all.
This is dumb. Don't use unimaginative movesets from fans to make Dixie look bad just to prop up K. Rool and make you feel better about his chances.

K. Rool's moveset potential is more obvious but Dixie does have potential as well. For example she could be a grappling fighter which is something that Smash Bros. doesn't have at the moment.

Kickback

Smash Cadet

List of K. Rool's abilities/powers

Originating in DKC1
Super strength
Supernatural jumping
Brief bursts of speed
Crown toss
Cannonball rain (No reason this has to be relegated to Final Smash)
Playing dead
Minions (Probably Kritter, Klump, Krusha, or Klap Trap, though I've done a moveset with Klobber/Knocka)
Beastial crocodile attacks (Gives mouth and tail as extra attacking limbs)

Originating in DKC2
Blunderbuss physical attacks
Blunderbuss cannonballs
Blunderbuss spiked cannonballs
Blunderbuss barrels
Blunderbuss freezing stun cloud
Blunderbuss control reversal cloud
Blunderbuss slowing cloud
Blunderbuss suction, moving around other projectiles
Blunderbuss bouncing the projectiles off the ground
Blunderbuss fire
Blunderbuss propelling him with fire
Opens door for general pirate flavoring
Invisibility
Alt #1

Originating in DKC3
The propeller pack everybody suggests for recovery
Electric barrier/projectile
KAOS summon (Obviously not in main set, but good Final Smash fodder)
Opens door for general mad scientist flavoring
Alt #2

Originating in DK64
Opens door for general boxer flavoring
Boxing glove boomerang
Buttocks shockwaves
Charge, comparable to DKC1
Invisibility (Without the blunderbuss)
Blast-o-matic (Another popular choice for Final Smash, K. Rool has many)
Alt #3

Originating in crappy Paon/spin off games
Giant form (This and below are usually negatives for how "generic" he is, though he only has them once obtaining a "god" power up)
Fire breath
That flying machine that resembles Robotnik's Eggpod
Flying barrel vehicle (This or above are possible alternate recoveries)
Alt #4 (Pharaoh)
Alt #5 (Pilot)
Well I do have to agree with you on most points but as far as Mario/Luigi only using moves that they used in games I'm not so sure. The tornado spin as far as I know was not used in any of the mario games up to Mario 64 it was added in a later game.

Also you forgot that the blunderbuss could fire piranas and also the Baron can throw bombs in DKL 3

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Well I do have to agree with you on most points but as far as Mario/Luigi only using moves that they used in games I'm not so sure. The tornado spin as far as I know was not used in any of the mario games up to Mario 64 it was added in a later game.

Also you forgot that the blunderbuss could fire piranas and also the Baron can throw bombs in DKL 3
Mario sorta did a tornado spin in super mario world when you pressed the B button to attack enemies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Love how you Dislike the K.rool fans yet you are in here arguing with us. let me ask when did you last see duck hunt dog ? How significant was he to the game? How many games has he been in from his first aperence to now?
U mad? :troll:

Seriously though, Donkey Kong is not a retro IP like Duck Hunt is. Donkey Kong games are still made... just not with King K. Rool.

Retro characters who are sole representatives of their franchises don't have to be relevant to get in... they just need to offer something unique/new to the table and/or historically significant. King K. Rool is not the sole rep of Donkey Kong series and he's currently not relevant. Yes, he is/was important in the Donkey Kong franchise but he's currently not relevant to Nintendo. If he gets in a new main Donkey Kong game, he might have a chance.

ThePocketPencil

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0411-0276
This is dumb. Don't use unimaginative movesets from fans to make Dixie look bad just to prop up K. Rool and make you feel better about his chances.

K. Rool's moveset potential is more obvious but Dixie does have potential as well. For example she could be a grappling fighter which is something that Smash Bros. doesn't have at the moment.
Grappling wouldn't be the most ideal type of fighter, there being a number of projectiles, and other things that would stop them from getting close, maybe one, maybe two, command grabs, but that's all I see happening without being pretty bad viability wise.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion

Except he openly suggested the animal buddies, bubblegum, and guitar. I put the feather crossbow in his mouth, sure.

Dedede and Olimar also are existing grapplers, at least as close as we can get with the Smash definition. Regardless, I do see potential in hair as a power set, it's just that it would be more Sakurai using it as a power set than actually basing it off of much of anything she actually does.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Seriously though, Donkey Kong is not a retro IP like Duck Hunt is. Donkey Kong games are still made... just not with King K. Rool.

Retro characters who are sole representatives of their franchises don't have to be relevant to get in... they just need to offer something unique/new to the table and/or historically significant. King K. Rool is not the sole rep of Donkey Kong series and he's currently not relevant. Yes, he is/was important in the Donkey Kong franchise but he's currently not relevant to Nintendo. If he gets in a new main Donkey Kong game, he might have a chance.
I sense a troll alert.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

The "retro" label is a completely fan made thing that has no holding whatsoever.

An extremely misinterpreted statement made by Sakurai, when he said that he liked to bring back old characters to revive them.
You're also mistaking "recency" for "relevance."

I'm not trying to go on a rant to defend K. Rool, but trying to make yourself feel smug by slinging false terms is wrong.
And I liked you, mate.

Kickback

Smash Cadet
Well I have the perfect solution for his relevence problem ...wait for it... Him joining smash bros 4 problem solved.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion

Mario's tornado was added in SSB64, standards were lower then, and it has since been replaced. Luigi has it, yes, but it's mostly an awkward carry over as part of Smash history, like Ganondorf's moveset or Jigglypuff in general.

Added in the bombs and the belly flop from land 1. Not adding piranhas because it's basically a joke animation, like, say, the guitar.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The "retro" label is a completely fan made thing that has no holding whatsoever.

An extremely misinterpreted statement made by Sakurai, when he said that he liked to bring back old characters to revive them.
You're also mistaking "recency" for "relevance."

I'm not trying to go on a rant to defend K. Rool, but trying to make yourself feel smug by slinging false terms is wrong.
And I liked you, mate.
And that's what he did... characters don't always mean playable characters. There's Assist Trophies. Little Mac was one and he got a new game. Takamaru is one now and I'm positive he will get a new game. I dunno about Prince of Sable... but he's back even though he has no new game.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well I have the perfect solution for his relevence problem ...wait for it... Him joining smash bros 4 problem solved.
Guys. Everything is solved now. Pack your things and leave.

No, but seriously, almost every character that got in the game is popular enough, and K. Rool is insanely popular.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
And that's what he did... characters don't always mean playable characters. There's Assist Trophies. Little Mac was one and he got a new game. Takamaru is one now and I'm positive he will get a new game. I dunno about Prince of Sable... but he's back even though he has no new game.
Well no.

The only proper example of what Sakurai intended would be Pit, he brought him back, made a new game, got his face out, etc.

Duck Hunt is a historical game yes, and he's certainly a great choice, but King K. Rool is just as, if not more historical.

This is where the "relevance" mistake comes in. When you say that he hasn't been in any games, then that means that he is not recent. However, he is still extremely relevant to the Donkey Kong franchise as a whole.

The best example would be to go back in time. Bowser was not suddenly irrelevant to Mario just because Wart took his place in SMB2/USA. And more recently, Ganondorf is not irrelevant just because he's replaced with a new villain in every other Zelda game. When Rare left, Nintendo didn't know what to do with DK. The people that made the games between DK64 and Returns tried to wipe everything besides DK himself from their games. Even in Brawl, Diddy had been in the exact situation that K. Rool is in. Not only that, but even Dixie was planned apparently, and she hadn't been seen since Donkey Kong Country 3. Retro brought back a lot of things from the classic franchise, but they still wanted to keep their identity and went about that by making their own antagonists.

Certain developers deciding not to use something doesn't make that something go away.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord

Last time I checked Smash Bros was about "Nintendo's all time greatest All Stars", but yeah, you're probably right so we won't be getting characters like Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Fox, Jigglypuff, Samus.. oh wait.

Oh, and K.Rool may not be a sole rep on the DK saga, but he is to DK what Bowser is to Mario. And you said "offer something unique/new and/or historically significant". Well, I'm afraid you just described King K.Rool.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Last time I checked Smash Bros was about "Nintendo's all time greatest All Stars", but yeah, you're probably right so we won't be getting characters like Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Fox, Jigglypuff, Samus.. oh wait.
Implying they aren't all stars...

I'll give you Jigglypuff though...

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

I've always wanted Jigglypuff out. I'd gladly trade her for any of the cut characters without hesitating.

That said, K. Rool is more of an all-star than most of the characters we have now. Just saying.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion

Considering the lack of any real subtitle for this game, I propose that the game be "Super Smash Bros advertisements" based off the direction of character selection.

You want K. Rool and Mewtwo? Too bad, they're old news and we aren't marketing them right now. Buy Fire Emblem Awakening, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pokemon X, and Wii Fit. They are relevant to our current business plan.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In fact, it was even harder for Mega Man to get in, as he is a third party rep.
And he is a third party, so in my eyes he should have been even harder to add than K.Rool.
Captain Bum Horse confirmed to be a Greninja!
My point here was clear, and it truly makes me glad!
I thought of something! in DKC2 K.Rool used that gun with the barrels, he shoots the barrel and when the barrel is hit hard enough before it hits anyone, it goes right back at K.Rool, like DDD's new Gordo Toss

Top Bottom