• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It's one interpretation of the phrase "characters participating." That, and people are starting to tinker with the demo select screen and have found out that, without changing the boxes' dimensions, the screen fits 48 slots (47 characters plus random), which we already have. It's not guaranteed that these spell doom for any other newcomers yet, but they're still hellishly troubling.
So it looks like no Mewtwo either. Lovely.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
It's one interpretation of the phrase "characters participating." That, and people are starting to tinker with the demo select screen and have found out that, without changing the boxes' dimensions, the screen fits 48 slots (47 characters plus random), which we already have. It's not guaranteed that these spell doom for any other newcomers yet, but they're still hellishly troubling.
Stupid question time: Does that mean we have 47 characters based on all non-cut (Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, maybe Lucas?) vets coming back plus the Sal leak or is there some other potential stuff there?

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Believe me, the leak is legit. The leaker came out again and said "Mii Fighter" and "Goddess Palutena" specifically, and both appeared with those exact name. Plus we've seen Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run.

EDIT: Come to think of it, from a marketing perspective, it might actually be better for K. Rool and Ridley to be DLC characters as annoying as that is. Both of them are among the most popular requests and DKC Returns at least sold far, far better than the latest Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus games.
Ahh I hadn't heard that. Sorry then, guess we just gotta roll the dice and see what happens. Its a dark day for many threads im sure.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
The leak proved true for the first part, still have to wait for Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men for the second. (Well aware of how often this is said but cannot be stressed enough.) If one more newcomer were to sneak in though through the cracks, I feel like K Rool would actually be that guy despite his weight.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The leak proved true for the first part, still have to wait for Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men for the second. (Well aware of how often this is said but cannot be stressed enough.) If one more newcomer were to sneak in though through the cracks, I feel like K Rool would actually be that guy despite his weight.
Actually that'd be his advantage. We don't have any "weighty" characters at this point.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Were does Little Mac rate on the weight issue? He's no true heavyweight king but is he above Link or Ike?
I don't know, but he's incredibly fast on his feet. He has horrible jumping naturally, but I don't think that's because he's heavy or anything.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I don't know, but he's incredibly fast on his feet. He has horrible jumping naturally, but I don't think that's because he's heavy or anything.
Hope he's incredibly fast on his feet, otherwise Rocky has been teaching me lies:troll:

I think he'll be Samus weight, not quite new Snake but definitely beefy

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, and on another note, I hate all these remarks against Sakurai for deciding certain characters. He's put more love into the Kremlings than Retro Studios has already. Hell, most of the Kritters work exactly the same, yet we've got 3-4 colors (there's at least 3 colors) of Kritters that all move and attack in completely different ways, and are totally badass. That alone is impressive. I mean, Fire Emblem enemies and items don't appear in-game, either. Items would naturally be hard to pull off and FE enemies are all human so that's kinda hard to handle.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if the box sizes mean anything since the brawl roster used larger character boxes than the final game and this may be the same case for Smash 4.

Brawl Demo

Brawl, Everyone Unlocked.

Also, even within brawl itself, the box dimensions change sizes as you unlock more characters. Here's brawl's roster without anyone unlocked. You'll see that the squares are a bit larger than when you have everyone unlocked.

Brawl, Starters Only

So basically what I'm saying is that I wouldn't use the current box sizes to determine the amount of characters we'll get. That being said, I don't think we'll many more newcomers outside of gematsu , but I still have faith in K. Rool, Mewtwo, Ridley and Takamaru in particular.

The only thing I find troubling at this point is that the gematsu leak said that Lucas will likely get axed, which would be a real shame.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Stupid question time: Does that mean we have 47 characters based on all non-cut (Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, maybe Lucas?) vets coming back plus the Sal leak or is there some other potential stuff there?
47 is all Brawl veterans minus the four you listed, plus all of the newcomers plus Sal's remaining three. It's technically 49 characters due to Miis absorbing two extra characters' worth of development time, but it appears as though they're confined to a single space.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Um... Are y'all sure Donkey Kong Land is out on the U.S. virtual consoles now? Because I just checked my 3DS's VC out of excitement and still didn't see it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't want to bring up the topic of DKC being ignored again, but DK's final smash is the same.
No its not, DK now has triggers so you know when to hit it. HUGE improvement.

Well, seriously, I don't think DK is really getting ignored as much as people say. It ought to be interesting to see what the upcoming DK stages look like, and again I reiterate: Sakurai did an amazing job on the Kremlings we've seen.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'll admit, Sakurai giving us Kremlings is'nt too bad, I just hope it's not a way of his to troll us by not having K. rool in except them.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah... I'm really hoping for some DK reveals soon. At least a new stage on one of the versions, probably a DKCR stage. Perhaps even with a DKCR boss featured.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, seriously, I don't think DK is really getting ignored as much as people say. It ought to be interesting to see what the upcoming DK stages look like, and again I reiterate: Sakurai did an amazing job on the Kremlings we've seen.
I mean, we haven't seen all of the game's DK content yet, but going off of what we've seen so far and what many are expecting due to new leaks, it's getting ignored by far in comparison to lesser series despite getting a revamp much, much larger than theirs.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Don't want to bring up the topic of DKC being ignored again, but DK's final smash is the same.
In all honesty that's fine for me. Donkey Konga* representation still: Cool
If he changed into Kenshiro for Smash 4-- while cool-- it would be a little much for me and not to mention would be a bit...I dunno what the word could be but example.

If Little Mac's Final Smash was just a hyper punching combo I think the audience would feel cheated when the new one had Giga Mac, a perfect FS for him.
Point is the bongos are more universal for DK. Jungle. Rhythm. He's played the bongos in the past starting DK 64.
It's just me but I'm cool with them.

*I noticed they put more of a reference to it now. Pretty neat. Crap range still but I digress.

domokl

Smash Lord
By the way we have an updated interpertation of the select screen in the offical character thread. It counts in on 51 characters. So room for gematsu k rool ridley mewtwo and one more newcomer.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Woah... Um, I haven't seen any OFFICIAL confirmation, but someone just posted they saw Chunky Kong as an AT. No, seriously. I haven't seen him in forever. He never even appeared since DK64 either. Seems DK is getting a bit more love after all.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Woah... Um, I haven't seen any OFFICIAL confirmation, but someone just posted they saw Chunky Kong as an AT. No, seriously. I haven't seen him in forever. He never even appeared since DK64 either. Seems DK is getting a bit more love after all.
That would be pretty slick, honestly. Considering we've had some Assist Trophy blowouts lately, I wouldn't be surprised.

Staarih

Smash Master
Bodes well for K. Rool, going all the way to DK64 and all.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
. . .

Link. Now.

People erroneously claim that "K. Rool hasn't been in any games since DK64," but Chunky actually hasn't been in any games since DK64, and he'd be the first DK Assist Trophy ever to boot.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Some good news for my fellow K. Rool supporters, I come bearing news of Rare-era DK representation in Smash 4 and also a deconfirmation of one of our competition.

I was at the Schaumburg Best Buy Smash Event today, and one of the matches I witnessed had Chunky Kong appear as an Assist Trophy, in which he did a ground pound and bananas rained down from on top of the screen. No one was underneath him when he pounded so I'm unsure of whether or not he does damage with that, but the bananas do light little hits before bouncing offscreen. I think it left a few peels behind as well.

At the same event, in my testplay of Smash Run, I also managed to pick up a "?" trophy during the match, and afterwards on the results screen that trophy ended up being Cranky Kong, so we no longer have to worry about him either.

I may or may not have footage of the Chunky AT, I was recording, but not every match. I'll see what exactly I have on my camera in the morning when it's not 2 in the morning. Here's to our favorite croc potentially making the cut.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, its hilarious. This doesn't F---ing confirm anything, but I'm suddenly getting hyped up for K. Rool again and for this roster having more than just the stupid Gematsu leak. Also interesting of note, this demo has TONS of new AT's and a few new old ones, but quite a few, including both Isaac and Ray, are all absent.

EDIT: And with this renewed hope, I am going to bed. Honestly, Chunky Kong is the LAST character I could see as a Donkey Kong AT, so its very, very intriguing. It seems that for AT's, they're bringing in characters that would be less likely to be chosen as a playable character...

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Interesting. Doesn't mean anything for K. Rool at the end of the day, but it further mangles the already disfigured corpse known as the relevance argument.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Honestly, its hilarious. This doesn't F---ing confirm anything, but I'm suddenly getting hyped up for K. Rool again and for this roster having more than just the stupid Gematsu leak. Also interesting of note, this demo has TONS of new AT's and a few new old ones, but quite a few, including both Isaac and Ray, are all absent.

EDIT: And with this renewed hope, I am going to bed. Honestly, Chunky Kong is the LAST character I could see as a Donkey Kong AT, so its very, very intriguing. It seems that for AT's, they're bringing in characters that would be less likely to be chosen as a playable character...
Well, keep in mind that Isaac and Ray had to be unlocked through over 100 matches (Ray) and over 200 matches (Isaac).

But I do agree that Chunky Kong as an AT proves that the Rare era is alive and well.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, this has no bearing on K. Rool, but come on, if Sakurai and co. are literally willing to bring back one of the single deadest Kongs (only Swanky and Kiddy come even close, unless you get literal and say Wrinkly) as an Assist Trophy, there's no telling what sort of loving treatment they're capable of giving K. Rool and the Kremlings.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Some good news for my fellow K. Rool supporters, I come bearing news of Rare-era DK representation in Smash 4 and also a deconfirmation of one of our competition.

I was at the Schaumburg Best Buy Smash Event today, and one of the matches I witnessed had Chunky Kong appear as an Assist Trophy, in which he did a ground pound and bananas rained down from on top of the screen. No one was underneath him when he pounded so I'm unsure of whether or not he does damage with that, but the bananas do light little hits before bouncing offscreen. I think it left a few peels behind as well.

At the same event, in my testplay of Smash Run, I also managed to pick up a "?" trophy during the match, and afterwards on the results screen that trophy ended up being Cranky Kong, so we no longer have to worry about him either.

I may or may not have footage of the Chunky AT, I was recording, but not every match. I'll see what exactly I have on my camera in the morning when it's not 2 in the morning. Here's to our favorite croc potentially making the cut.
Pics and/or videos or it didn't happen.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
People in the Ridley thread are apparently saying that somebody in one of the character threads figured out from the demo roster that there'd be 51 characters (I don't know which thread). Possible K. Rool on the roster?

Probably cause they want to keep their options open for DLC.
And yet they still went ahead with Dillon. *sad face*

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
. . .

Link. Now.

People erroneously claim that "K. Rool hasn't been in any games since DK64," but Chunky actually hasn't been in any games since DK64, and he'd be the first DK Assist Trophy ever to boot.
I can just imagine your frozen face at this news. The image makes me grin like an ass! :D :D

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Interesting that they went with Magnus and Phosphora instead of characters like Hades and Medusa... Hmmm...
Insignificant fan favorites that serve little importance are more important than the actual important characters, you know?
Oh, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout.
Hades is too busy being the announcer

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Holy viewers, Batman.

I don't even think we had this many back in that one week Spring 2013, when like 10 guests were just constantly sitting in this thread all day (I posted that maybe Nintendo people were viewing the thread, and all the guests promptly left).

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I had my doubts the second I saw "Kid Icarus" in the first trailer.
Should have been Yoshi's Island. Apparently Yoshi was still visiting the chiropractor.

Holy viewers, Batman.

I don't even think we had this many back in that one week Spring 2013, when like 10 guests were just constantly sitting in this thread all day (I posted that maybe Nintendo people were viewing the thread, and all the guests promptly left).
I've heard rumors, but do we know that Nintendo monitors parts of this site?

Top Bottom