• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ha, I bet people are gonna take that, "leak" it and try to convince people that "they used the Rare model for the costume and the Paon model for the actual fighter." Riiiiight.

Morbi

Scavenger
I've been lurking this thread for a while now, but have finally decided to post here. So where should I begin?

Well, my favourite video game character is Pac-Man, if you couldn't already tell. I've wanted him in Smash for as long as I can remember, and got even more motivated when I saw Sonic and Snake in Brawl. Once Smash 4 was unveiled, I knew the character I wanted in the most would be Pac-Man, and I was pretty confident after seeing Megaman getting unveiled and hearing about Namco Bandai helping in development. Well, once E3 2014 came, my wish was granted and Pac was in the game, even sporting the exact design/model I wished he had!
:4pacman:

After hearing about the DLC functionality with the Mewtwo announcement, I knew I had wanted Lucas back the most as I think he and Wolf were cut unfairly. To my surprise, he was unveiled on the April 1st direct! Yet another character I wanted into the game made the cut, and I was as happy as ever. But it does not stop there, as the Fighter Ballot was announced a few moments later.
:4lucas:

One thing I never understood was why good ol' King K. Rool wasn't in Smash. By Melee, DK still only had one rep, which struck me as odd since the other series had gained multiple, but I shook it off. By Brawl, Diddy was added and everything seemed fine. In Smash 4 however, I thought K. Rool was a given choice, and full on expected him to be added. He wasn't, and now DK has two reps when Kid Icarus has three and Fire Emblem has five? Something seems a little wrong here. All the characters I had previously wanted are in, but K. Rool is not. This is why King K. Rool is my number one pick for a Smash DLC newcomer, amongst many other reasons.

So Kutthroats, don't lose hope in your character as I never did in Pac-Man and Lucas. I think the King has a really good chance, and you guys seem to be the biggest support group of any character I have witnessed. Just keep doing what you are doing, and your wish will come true. Wait a second... why do I keep using the word 'your'? I guess I am a Kutthroat now as well!
I never understood why Donkey Kong did not have another character, namely Diddy Kong, in Melee as well. Honestly, I never thought that King K. Rool would make it on the main roster for Smash 4, but once DLC was announced, especially in regard to the poll, I had no doubts that the King K.Rool (I just started playing Donkey Kong 64 and never realized that his name could be pronounced as "cruel") would be playable.

I digress, I discerned the true reason for this discrepancy. King K. Rool is worth five or six characters because of how badass he is. So naturally, Sakurai did not want to include him because Donkey Kong, as a series, would be over-represented. :troll:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I never understood why Donkey Kong did not have another character, namely Diddy Kong, in Melee as well. Honestly, I never thought that King K. Rool would make it on the main roster for Smash 4, but once DLC was announced, especially in regard to the poll, I had no doubts that the King K.Rool (I just started playing Donkey Kong 64 and never realized that his name could be pronounced as "cruel") would be playable.
Melee had an extremely tight development timeframe (13 months) so they couldn't add a lot of characters. There were also problems with Rare at that time as well; they were starting to fall out with Nintendo and Sakurai mentioned that he had considered Banjo-Kazooie but "adult circumstances" prevented it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Melee had an extremely tight development timeframe (13 months) so they couldn't add a lot of characters. There were also problems with Rare at that time as well; they were starting to fall out with Nintendo and Sakurai mentioned that he had considered Banjo-Kazooie but "adult circumstances" prevented it.
Interesting, thank you for the insight. I do not know much about Sakurai's mind-set during the Melee era as that was a time I just played the game without any thought as to who I believed should or should not be in the game.

D

Deleted member

Is it really true that K.Rool was highly requested in Melee?
As far as im concerned, the most highly requested characters (if there were any) were Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong, Wario, Zelda, Ridley, King Dedede, Wolf, and Mewtwo.

But i barely see any mention of K.Rool beign requested back in Melee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't appear in the infamous Smash 2 poll, so I don't think he was all that popular in the pre-Melee days. His popularity definitely bursted prior to Brawl.

Laniv

Smash Champion
As far as im concerned, the most highly requested characters (if there were any) were Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Diddy, Wario, Zelda, Ridley, King Dedede, Wolf, and Mewtwo.

People just wanted Diddy first.

It's like having Sheik playable before Zelda.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
It makes sense though that Diddy got in instead of K. Rool. He's Donkey Kong's partner in a lot of DK games.

More like, Luigi was playable in before Bowser. Zelda/Sheik got in before Ganondorf.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As far as im concerned, the most highly requested characters (if there were any) were Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong, Wario, Zelda, Ridley, King Dedede, Wolf, and Mewtwo.

K. Rool was on Sakurai's Brawl list. I doubt K. Rool was highly requested in Melee, it would've been Diddy Kong by that point. K. Rool was fairly well requested for Brawl, since he was on Sakurai's (admittedly fairly long) list of characters.

It makes sense though that Diddy got in instead of K. Rool. He's Donkey Kong's partner in a lot of DK games.

More like, Luigi was playable in before Bowser. Zelda/Sheik got in before Ganondorf.
Oh yeah, that makes sense, and no one denies it. That's the reason K. Rool's popularity didn't surge too much for Brawl, because we hadn't gotten Diddy yet. There are a number of people who did want him on that point, and he was on Sakurai's list of requested characters. Notably, so was a Diddy and Dixie tag-team, but Dixie didn't make it into the tag-team due to limitations.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Of all the things that make this "leak" a dead giveaway, the angle is certainly the least evident of them.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Man it'd be dope if K. Rool got in, and there was an Event Match called Four Trouble Kings. Man. I can dream. But dreams are merely dreams, unless they are no longer dreams.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm admittedly very thirsty for a direct right about now. I need news...

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
:4greninja:'D
I've been lurking this thread for a while now, but have finally decided to post here. So where should I begin?

Well, my favourite video game character is Pac-Man, if you couldn't already tell. I've wanted him in Smash for as long as I can remember, and got even more motivated when I saw Sonic and Snake in Brawl. Once Smash 4 was unveiled, I knew the character I wanted in the most would be Pac-Man, and I was pretty confident after seeing Megaman getting unveiled and hearing about Namco Bandai helping in development. Well, once E3 2014 came, my wish was granted and Pac was in the game, even sporting the exact design/model I wished he had!
:4pacman:

After hearing about the DLC functionality with the Mewtwo announcement, I knew I had wanted Lucas back the most as I think he and Wolf were cut unfairly. To my surprise, he was unveiled on the April 1st direct! Yet another character I wanted into the game made the cut, and I was as happy as ever. But it does not stop there, as the Fighter Ballot was announced a few moments later.
:4lucas:

One thing I never understood was why good ol' King K. Rool wasn't in Smash. By Melee, DK still only had one rep, which struck me as odd since the other series had gained multiple, but I shook it off. By Brawl, Diddy was added and everything seemed fine. In Smash 4 however, I thought K. Rool was a given choice, and full on expected him to be added. He wasn't, and now DK has two reps when Kid Icarus has three and Fire Emblem has five? Something seems a little wrong here. All the characters I had previously wanted are in, but K. Rool is not. This is why King K. Rool is my number one pick for a Smash DLC newcomer, amongst many other reasons.

So Kutthroats, don't lose hope in your character as I never did in Pac-Man and Lucas. I think the King has a really good chance, and you guys seem to be the biggest support group of any character I have witnessed. Just keep doing what you are doing, and your wish will come true. Wait a second... why do I keep using the word 'your'? I guess I am a Kutthroat now as well!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=erH-WHtLRmU

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Not really an appropriate comparison. More like having Bowser before Luigi.
B-but why would we need Luigi when we can have Bowser instead? I mean, Luigi is yet another human, his abilities are too similar to Mario's, he wouldn't be interesting he'd be a semi-clone at best! Whereas Bowser would add more diversity he's a fire-breathing turtle and would be fully unique with a completely different moveset!

:troll:
I'm admittedly mocking the "Dixie would be a semi-clone please K. Rool instead" thing to an extent...

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I did a bit of wreck diving in the Gloomy Galleon (former Gangplank Gallon?). Interesting to see all the Kaptain K. Rool references.

Poor Kaptain can't even spell his title correctly. Also:
...Yeah. K. Rool lives up to his name.

Anyway, I really hope Kaptain makes it in as an alternate costume.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

He was requested but, like you said, there were a lot of characters that were more popular back then. He was a still a big contender for Brawl though and it was arguably one of the biggest aside from Ridley and Megaman.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bowser was planned for 64 too, so it's not as though "who came first" was a product of much more than technological happenstance.

The DK franchise was lumped under "Rare-related franchises" back during Melee, so K. Rool not only had to deal with Diddy, but with Banjo, Joanna Dark, James Bond and a horde of others, too. There was more pressure to rally around a single Donkey Kong newcomer as such, which was clearly going to be Diddy. Needless to say, when they exited the playing field, concluding with Diddy in August 2007, his popularity started booming, and continues to do so today.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd put K. Rool maybe in the top 25 for Melee. He became more of a top tenner during the Brawl era.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
From what I recall, 1-2 people had K. Rool as their top choice for Melee in the letters Sakurai had on his question-answer thing on the Smash 64 or Melee site.

(Not saying anything about his popularity back then, just thought this was relevant)

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Man it'd be dope if K. Rool got in, and there was an Event Match called Four Trouble Kings. Man. I can dream. But dreams are merely dreams, unless they are no longer dreams.
remember the great words of shia... don't let your dreams be dreams. just do it! nothing is impossible. make your dreams come ture :)

Today I heard the stupidest explanation ever on why K. Rool became a Mii costume: some guy said that it's a punishment for all Goku and Shrek requests in the ballot. :facepalm:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The guy mentioned that in the 'Who do you not want to see in Smash" thread, so I don't think he was joking.
He was clearly joking. It's like saying Sakurai didn't add Ridley as a fighter in the game because he was going to be a trophy in the 3DS version; it's stupid, and he was obviously not serious with that comment.

Last edited:
He was clearly joking. It's like saying Sakurai didn't add Ridley as a fighter in the game because he was going to be a trophy in the 3DS version; it's stupid, and he was obviously not serious with that comment.
Yes, it could be a joke, but using it as a reasoning why he doesn't want K. Rool is strange. Go take a look to the thread if you don't believe me (that same guy gave a 85% rating to an obscure third-party in the RTC thread some time ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was serious).

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
Yeah.

I'll just go ahead and admit that I simply hate the PAON design. I hate pretty much everything about it. That is...

- The lack of a tail (Seriously, what the ****?)
- The tiny crown
- The lack of scales and lighter color
- The lack of the golden belly armor
- The changed facial structure (smaller and less bloodshot eye, shorter snout etc.)
- The changed body structure (besides streamlining it a bit from the clunkyish renders)
- The constant smirking

All these changes make him seem less intimidating, less crocodiley and more like a silly generic cartoon villain. The only changes from the Paon design that I don't mind are the gem color (which is an honest improvement) and the clawed hands (which I don't mind either way). Also, I'm absolutely sick of seeing this render used on every single page that mentions K. Rool.

I think Smashified is really the only instance where someone managed to make the Paon design look somewhat okay. Still, couldn't really get excited about the whole thing once I saw what design they were using.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about them going with the Paon design now that we got the Rare-based Mii costume. And Sakurai is known for going with the older, better designs for characters like Pac-Man and Mega Man, so I'm confident he'll give us the best K. Rool.
U Mad?

I have to be the only one who prefers PAON K. Rool (well the face at least) I love the different facial expressions he can make.

Color the belly gold, make the crown slightly bigger and add a tail and I'm set.

Say what you want about PAON's K. Rool

But you have to admit he's one expressive mutha *Shut yo' mouth*!!

Top Bottom