• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Both the Rare and Paon designs are great imo. I don't think you'd be able to switch between them via alternate costumes if K. Rool made it in (the Kaptain and Baron costumes are far more likely), but it would be nice for those who like both designs like I do.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Melee had an extremely tight development timeframe (13 months) so they couldn't add a lot of characters. There were also problems with Rare at that time as well; they were starting to fall out with Nintendo and Sakurai mentioned that he had considered Banjo-Kazooie but "adult circumstances" prevented it.
Source on the Banjo-Kazooie part? I'd would just like to know.

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...haracter.update.shantae.to.be.added/61357.htm

This is where I am getting officially sick of people saying "Shantae is in!!! Her voice actor is credited for smash 4 on imdb!"
Seriously people?

StormC

Smash Hero
Source on the Banjo-Kazooie part? I'd would just like to know.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

In an e-mail response asking about including a character from Rare (Japanese), Sakurai stated that it was difficult to include a character from Rare for various reasons. While some may see Banjo and Kazooie’s inclusion as natural, they couldn’t make it in due to ‘adult circumstances’ (This most likely means copyright).

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
U Mad?

I have to be the only one who prefers PAON K. Rool (well the face at least) I love the different facial expressions he can make.

Color the belly gold, make the crown slightly bigger and add a tail and I'm set.

Say what you want about PAON's K. Rool

But you have to admit he's one expressive mutha *Shut yo' mouth*!!
Well, I don't like the over-expressiveness. Not every villain needs angry eyes and a smirk.

Rare K. Rool looked more intimidating, sometimes even psychotic, due to being less expressive. The newer interpretations seem to have completely abandoned the part where K. Rool is somewhat - well, "unbalanced", as his Melee trophy states. Also, I think the Rare design is somewhat unfairly criticized for being unexpressive, because all the games that used it were pretty limited in that aspect (small sprites and early 3D modeling). And it does still have some great expressions.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I never understood why Donkey Kong did not have another character, namely Diddy Kong, in Melee as well. Honestly, I never thought that King K. Rool would make it on the main roster for Smash 4, but once DLC was announced, especially in regard to the poll, I had no doubts that the King K.Rool (I just started playing Donkey Kong 64 and never realized that his name could be pronounced as "cruel") would be playable.

I digress, I discerned the true reason for this discrepancy. King K. Rool is worth five or six characters because of how badass he is. So naturally, Sakurai did not want to include him because Donkey Kong, as a series, would be over-represented. :troll:
So is that why Ridley wasent added? Because then Metroid would have more reps than Mario, Pokemon & FE combined?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Been thinking, and I have to say, I don't see how anyone else really matches up to Rool in the ballot. There are no characters who come to mind that even come close. Now when it comes to veterans I'm still a little hard pressed because other than Snake that pool is also pretty dry. Also at this point with all the Konami nonsense going on, and being leaked out every other day, his chances sadly look more and more bleak. The more I think about it the more I wonder "Is Isaac even that popular?" No honestly, not bashing, this is an honest question, because he, to me seems to be on the same level as Lloyd, but with a bigger following.

InsaneHippo

Smash Cadet
Been thinking, and I have to say, I don't see how anyone else really matches up to Rool in the ballot. There are no characters who come to mind that even come close. Now when it comes to veterans I'm still a little hard pressed because other than Snake that pool is also pretty dry. Also at this point with all the Konami nonsense going on, and being leaked out every other day, his chances sadly look more and more bleak. The more I think about it the more I wonder "Is Isaac even that popular?" No honestly, not bashing, this is an honest question, because he, to me seems to be on the same level as Lloyd, but with a bigger following.
wolf.
also, isaac is extremely popular. pretty much every person has him listed as someone they want to see as dlc or a newcomer in smash 5. he is in no way, shape, or form in the same boat as lloyd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I should mention that there was a Reddit poll in which Isaac actually surpassed K.Rool (although bothe lost to Banjo and Kazooie).

Pakky

Smash Hero
wolf.
also, isaac is extremely popular. pretty much every person has him listed as someone they want to see as dlc or a newcomer in smash 5. he is in no way, shape, or form in the same boat as lloyd.
Wolf I didn't even count because I know he's in. However Isaac being as popular as the King is hard to believe. i know a lot of people like him, but is it really that many?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The feasible veterans definitely top him and a few fad third parties probably do as well, but out of the serious newcomer candidates, I can't really think of anyone. It's why you see so many responses that don't bother trying to argue for any character above K. Rool, but instead to attack the idea that fan support matters for a ballot...either that it's an egalitarian mess of a suggestion box or that droves of casual fans will cause an upset, which @Skyblade12 rebutted perfectly a few pages back.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Even though Shovel Knight is a indie and multi plat its something that not only can i see Sakurai doing but i can easily vision being in the game if not him then definetly Shantae i am damn sure atleast of them will make it.

And if costumes really dont deconfi characters then i can see Inkling making it in no doubt he/she/it whatever the hell it is imo is the shoe-in of DLC like Mac & Palutena was pre game.

And if my god plz no..but if we do get one more 3rd party it is gonna be Rayman hands down out of the other scenarios i have mentioned above this one i see is the least likely.
I am pretty sure we are not getting anymore 3rd parties that includes snake coming back...even though i would love that more so than alot of newcomers.

Basicly imo what i truly think we are gonna get is a mixture of this.

- This is what i think not what i want -

Shantae/Shovel Knight - 99% Sure 1 of them will make it

Inkling hell i think these are a shoe_in

Wolf

Thats it.

PS: im so confident im actually gonna screen cap this to post after October.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wolf I didn't even count because I know he's in. However Isaac being as popular as the King is hard to believe. i know a lot of people like him, but is it really that many?
Isaac is definitely very popular, but he's not as popular as K. Rool. Based on online results, Isaac is a Top 5 contender if you INCLUDE third-party characters, otherwise he's generally right behind K. Rool. On some polls he even ranks higher than K. Rool. As a whole, though, his average is a lot less than K. Rool, but he's still second.

Again, based on online results. But I definitely think they're about as accurate as we're going to get. The arguments against the online polls are flawed and make too many assumptions, namely that people who don't frequent the online community (aka "casuals") will even know the ballot exists let alone care about voting for anyone.

I'm 85% sure NEITHER of them will make it in. The odds are extremely stacked against third-parties, especially lowball Indie ones. We'd be lucky to get any more third-parties, let alone Shantae or Shovel Knight. I still think if we get any third-parties it'd be Bomberman.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Even though Shovel Knight is a indie and multi plat its something that not only can i see Sakurai doing but i can easily vision being in the game if not him then definetly Shantae i am damn sure atleast of them will make it.

And if costumes really dont deconfi characters then i can see Inkling making it in no doubt he/she/it whatever the hell it is imo is the shoe-in of DLC like Mac & Palutena was pre game.

And if my god plz no..but if we do get one more 3rd party it is gonna be Rayman hands down out of the other scenarios i have mentioned above this one i see is the least likely.
I am pretty sure we are not getting anymore 3rd parties that includes snake coming back...even though i would love that more so than alot of newcomers.

Basicly imo what i truly think we are gonna get is a mixture of this.

- This is what i think not what i want -

Inkling hell i think these are a shoe_in

Wolf

Thats it.
Considering the fact that Shovel Knight has everything against him at this point (besides that Megaton announcement on Nintendo consoles, probably just a Link boss battle), he probably won't get in. Shantae, is debatable but being 99% sure on her getting in is a stretch considering how all of the Third Parties in Smash have had an amazing legacy and made a mark on Gaming and Nintendo (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING), Shantae's credentials seem kind of measly. Same with Rayman but to a lesser degree. I'm thinking Inkling will be Smash 5 newcomers (who else will generate hype at Smash 5 E3 reveal).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Isaac is definitely very popular, but he's not as popular as K. Rool. Based on online results, Isaac is a Top 5 contender if you INCLUDE third-party characters, otherwise he's generally right behind K. Rool. On some polls he even ranks higher than K. Rool. As a whole, though, his average is a lot less than K. Rool, but he's still second.

Again, based on online results. But I definitely think they're about as accurate as we're going to get. The arguments against the online polls are flawed and make too many assumptions, namely that people who don't frequent the online community (aka "casuals") will even know the ballot exists let alone care about voting for anyone.

I'm 85% sure NEITHER of them will make it in. The odds are extremely stacked against third-parties, especially lowball Indie ones. We'd be lucky to get any more third-parties, let alone Shantae or Shovel Knight. I still think if we get any third-parties it'd be Bomberman.
Shantae is 3rd party?
I thought she was 1st....

Pakky

Smash Hero
The feasible veterans definitely top him and a few fad third parties probably do as well, but out of the serious newcomer candidates, I can't really think of anyone. It's why you see so many responses that don't bother trying to argue for any character above K. Rool, but instead to attack the idea that fan support matters for a ballot...either that it's an egalitarian mess of a suggestion box or that droves of casual fans will cause an upset, which @Skyblade12 rebutted perfectly a few pages back.
Understood, thank you for clearing that up. I knew it was a bit of a well, desert, when it came to serious contenders for the king.

Shantae is 3rd party?
I thought she was 1st....
Nope third party, made by Way Forward.
Also I do like her and i think she would be great in Smash but my priorities lie with the king.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You serious? Really dude. I'm quite ashamed.
WelP
.. that changed my whole thoughts on this fast...d

Didnt she have a few games on GBC?

Well Inklings and Wolf no doubt..but im.unsure who the 3rd character is gonna be now.

And yes i think we are gonna get 3 characters like last time.

Hmmm... i wanna say paper mario or dixie kong.

I really think if it came to Dixie or K.Rool sakurai would choose Dixie...
I dont hate Dixie but it would just really be a lazy and sad...decision

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
WelP
.. that changed my whole thoughts on this fast...d

Didnt she have a few games on GBC?

Well Inklings and Wolf no doubt..but im.unsure who the 3rd character is gonna be now.

And yes i think we are gonna get 3 characters like last time.

Hmmm... i wanna say paper mario or dixie kong.

I really think if it came to Dixie or K.Rool sakurai woukd choose Dixie...
I dont hate Dixie but it just really lazy and sad...decision
She had one game on the GBC that didn't sell well because it was late in the system's life (at least I think it didn't sell well because I'm pretty sure its pretty rare). I doubt Inklings will get in this time, since you know, they are still very new. Also Smash 5 hype would be a thing that they create.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
She had one game on the GBC that didn't sell well because it was late in the system's life (at least I think it didn't sell well because I'm pretty sure its pretty rare). I doubt Inklings will get in this time, since you know,
''they are still very new.''
Also Smash 5 hype would be a thing that they create.

Quajutsu_Konzeptzeichnung.png

Robin
Shulk
Rosalina

Are far from old either

Last edited:

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
Really I don't, from my knowledge here, know of any other folks topping the 'scoreboard' then King K.Rool and Isaac. Like those are two folks I see as shoe-ins due to popularity.

However, as I said when I first came here, I don't mind really WHO they add. Granted, I have my favorites, Such as our King, Paper Mario, Someone Rhythm Heaven, and Shantae... but y'know. It's really all up in the clouds at the moment.

Also Shantae I see as being one of those characters that has a very, very slim chance, but it's better then a lot of other folks.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It feels like the pessimism comes and goes in phases for me, really depending on what boards I'm reading at any given time. This thread presents great arguments in favor of K. Rool still being in the running, and yet I can never climb fully onboard the positive train because of not wanting to miss legitimate arguments from non-K. Rool fan sources. And yet you read the counterarguments from places like GameFAQs and NeoGAF, and it's so one-sided. They're places riddled with detractors, so a lot of them laugh off anything remotely favorable as "delusional" and talk in past tense, as though the costume was objectively a disconfirmation and we don't need any proof other than its mere existence to know that. And yet you can never fully write them off because of how unpredictable Sakurai is, and that he really might find the costume to be an acceptable bone to throw.

I just want the final verdict, whatever it is, given sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't think characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae are as impossible as people say. "Fighting with a shovel" could easily press Sakurai's unique button.

As for K. Rool's chances, I'm still on the it's over train. I've already explained why, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is just trying not to be disappointed again.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It feels like the pessimism comes and goes in phases for me, really depending on what boards I'm reading at any given time. This thread presents great arguments in favor of K. Rool still being in the running, and yet I can never climb fully onboard the positive train because of not wanting to miss legitimate arguments from non-K. Rool fan sources. And yet you read the counterarguments from places like GameFAQs and NeoGAF, and it's so one-sided. They're places riddled with detractors, so a lot of them laugh off anything remotely favorable as "delusional" and talk in past tense, as though the costume was objectively a disconfirmation and we don't need any proof other than its mere existence to know that. And yet you can never fully write them off because of how unpredictable Sakurai is, and that he really might find the costume to be an acceptable bone to throw.

I just want the final verdict, whatever it is, given sooner rather than later.
I have to say it would be unwise for Sakurai to make King K Rool be just a costume. The backlash would be immense, and who would fill his place? Isaac? I'm sorry but no, this thing has gotten too big for that.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I have to say it would be unwise for Sakurai to make King K Rool be just a costume. The backlash would be immense, and who would fill his place? Isaac? I'm sorry but no, this this has gotten too big for that.
I don't think the backlash matters that much. Look at the whole Ridley situation. There's no denying it was handled rather poorly, yet at the end of the day, it didn't really change anything.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I don't think the backlash matters that much. Look at the whole Ridley situation. There's no denying it was handled rather poorly, yet at the end of the day, it didn't really change anything.
This isn't that though. An effort was made to make a character playable by making him a costume. This is a direct assault, not something that can be waved off with "too big arguments" or the like. Also He went out of his way to remake the model and give it the classic textures, all the work for a costume is rather, suspect. If it doesn't lead to anything, it shows that he really doesn't care about DK, because he went out of his way to make something that he knew no one wanted.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
This isn't that though. An effort was made to make a character playable by making him a costume. This is a direct assault, not something that can be waved off with "too big arguments" or the like. Also He went out of his way to remake the model and give it the classic textures, all the work for a costume is rather, suspect. If it doesn't lead to anything, it shows that he really doesn't care about DK, because he went out of his way to make something that he knew no one wanted.
It's a highly popular character getting shoved into an undesirable role. It's not terribly different, and placing him alongside Chrom, who's already ****ed does not augur well. I don't buy the idea that it being his Rare design means anything. For as much as we know, it could be because they wanted to go the extra mile for the fans with the costume, failing to realize that the majority would never accept it to begin with. Remember, it's all "fanservice" now. That could be an example of that.

As for Sakurai not caring about DK, I think that's debatable. While I think his management of the series is pretty poor, I give credit where credit is due. Diddy's moveset is quite good, DK now has his famous roll attack, and both primate's ducking animations are lifted right from DKC1. I think the only franchise Sakurai truly does dislike/not care about is Wario Land.

Last edited:
Top Bottom