• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To add to that, I may also see Kid Icarus getting two: One for Uprising and one for the Classic games.

Anyway, I would really like to see the Gangplank Galleon, personally.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
To add to that, I may also see Kid Icarus getting two: One for Uprising and one for the Classic games.

Anyway, I would really like to see the Gangplank Galleon, personally.
I don't think so. There will definitely be a stage from Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Skyworld will return, so that pretty much covers all the bases.

Personally, all I want is more DKC music. Shame there were not more in Brawl. No, the Stickerbrush Symphony remake does not count in my eyes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think so. There will definitely be a stage from Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Skyworld will return, so that pretty much covers all the bases.

Personally, all I want is more DKC music. Shame there were not more in Brawl. No, the Stickerbrush Symphony remake does not count in my eyes.
Ah, I forgot about Skyworld returning...

As far as DKC music, in addition to music from the original trilogy, the Feather Fiend song from DKCR would be nice.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@BKupa
I honestly think the second option there is more likely. I think it's a mix of people not really liking the scrolling stages (and we'll probably get a new one anyway), and 75m being fairly important and iconic (although definitely not my favorite stage). Also, for some reason I doubt we'll get a new DK arcade stage (especially if there are just two new stages), although I really have nothing to support my hunch here.

And as long as we get our obligatory DK jungle stage (much like the obligatory Metroid lava stage), which will most likely (and hopefully) be Sunset Shore (although it really could be any number of things from DKCR), the other stage spot could hopefully be given to a stage that doesn't usually go by the DK stage mold, which would hopefully be Gangplank Galleon.

The only thing I could see interfering with GG's chances (other than a new DK arcade stage) is another series getting a pirate ship or airship stage (although Gangplank Galleon really should get priority).

But my prediction for DK stages is actually the same as Star's.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hopefully Sunset Shores becomes the inevitable Jungle stage, whether or not the shadow effect is actually utilized. Something like this, while pretty, wouldn't be an ideal representation of DKCR.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So I think that King K. Rool's home stage should be ether Gangplank Lagoon or Crocodile Isle. I do think that K. Rool having his own stage would be appropriate.

:phone:

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I'd predict the Gangplank Galleon, seeing as how it was the boss stage of DKC1 and the first world of DKC2, along with the memorable music. Smash 4 really needs some DKC2 music, and they can stick them on Gangplank Galleon (although it'd be great if we could customize the music that is used on different stages).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hopefully Sunset Shores becomes the inevitable Jungle stage, whether or not the shadow effect is actually utilized. Something like this, while pretty, wouldn't be an ideal representation of DKCR.

That is actually very impressive!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I'd like the following stages:

- a jungle stage similar to Kongo Jungle (64) and Kongo Jungle (Melee) but based on Donkey Kong Country Returns
- a ship stage similar to Pirate Ship (Brawl) but is large like Hyrule Temple (Melee) and is based on the ship levels in Gangplank Galleon, Crocodile Cauldron, and Krem Quay from Donkey Kong Country 2
- a construction site stage similar to 75m (Brawl) but is based on the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games

D

Deleted member

How is Shulk not a fad character? His game JUST came out and suddenly he's everyone's choice character.

That seems pretty fad character to me
Because the game didn't JUST came out. It may have been that way for America, but the game had been out for at least 2 years now in Japan.
Xenoblade is also a widely popular game in Japan, Europe, and now, America.

He was already a "choice" character prior to the American release as well. (Mostly in Japan, but still).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I actually hope the returning stage is 75m...not that I'd ever play on it. You see, if 75m doesn't return, we'll very likely have another DK stage slot wasted on the arcade games, robbing us of a better one from the Country series, while a second Jungle stage returns instead.

The way I see it, we're either getting:

Sunset Shore
New (Gimmicky) Arcade Stage
Returning Jungle Stage (Rumble Falls, most likely, due to recency)

or (preferably)

Sunset Shore
New Country Stage (Gangplank Galleon)
75m Returning
I'd have a stage based off of the 2nd section of DKCR: The Beach (call it Kongo Beach or something). I've noticed that there have never been any beach stages in Smash. Great Bay and Delfino Plaza come close, but they're really not beaches. I'd have a stage with the usually sunny atmosphere of most of that section's levels and elements from DKCR. Expect some cannons to rain explosives on you.

I'd also have a feature in which the level would be in the middle of a storm throughout the whole match; this would be 2 stages in one slot with that giant octopus harassing you every now and then. This part would be based off of DKCR's Stormy Shore and Tidal Terror, and the music for this section can feature the eerie side of the DK series' music. Also, the waves affect and move the smaller platforms a bit by tilting some, raising, lowering and pushing/pulling them left or right.

They could get away with having pirate ships that reference k. Rool despite being a stage based on a game he's not in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's something that worries me...if we do get a pirate ship stage, there's the chance it becomes a generic ship run by pirate crabs, rather than K. Rool himself.

And speaking of Gangplank Galleon, as likely as K. Rool raining down cannonballs for a Final Smash is, I would find it completely awkward if he just causes the ship to materialize in thin air before shooting. This was suggested in that Universe leak, and it confused me greatly...why does 'great power' cause an ocean-based ship to just hover randomly?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Because the game didn't JUST came out. It may have been that way for America, but the game had been out for at least 2 years now in Japan.
Xenoblade is also a widely popular game in Japan, Europe, and now, America.

He was already a "choice" character prior to the American release as well. (Mostly in Japan, but still).
Pretty sure he's just a fad in America at least.

They had to do that whole "Bring his game over here" thing so long they HAVE to like him.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure he's just a fad in America at least.

They had to do that whole "Bring his game over here" thing so long they HAVE to like him.
Or maybe it's because they sincerely like him? Or is that unfathomable?
Also, most of the people that support him would rather have one of the other characters, but support Shulk instead as he is the only one with a chance.

On the topic of K. Rool, how fast should he be in dashing? He moves pretty fast in DKC...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Or maybe it's because they sincerely like him? Or is that unfathomable?
Also, most of the people that support him would rather have one of the other characters, but support Shulk instead as he is the only one with a chance.

On the topic of K. Rool, how fast should he be in dashing? He moves pretty fast in DKC...
No, I believe only time shows what someone really likes. Until he has that time, I don't believe it. Especially with how cliche the game he's in

D

Deleted member

So pretty much it's a "I find this game cliche, so anyone that wants the main character in is not being sincere as he is a fad character by my standards".
Got it.

Now talk about K. Rool.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
That's something that worries me...if we do get a pirate ship stage, there's the chance it becomes a generic ship run by pirate crabs, rather than K. Rool himself.

And speaking of Gangplank Galleon, as likely as K. Rool raining down cannonballs for a Final Smash is, I would find it completely awkward if he just causes the ship to materialize in thin air before shooting. This was suggested in that Universe leak, and it confused me greatly...why does 'great power' cause an ocean-based ship to just hover randomly?
Yeah Kremlings or nothing else. Didnt see that leak? I agree that wouldnt make sense, unless it was the flying Kroc or Kruizer. What I think would be better is if the back of the screen turned into an Ocean and the ship rode up firing the cannonballs on to the stage.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I suppose rising water wouldn't be any stranger than the Ice Climbers summoning a glacier...

Here's the original Universe roster 'leak', with K. Rool positioned right at its top, while this is the additional 'leak' regarding character movesets, where the Gangplank Galleon tidbit is mentioned.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still hoping that Universe leak is untrue. Granted, I'm almost certain it's fake; I've doubted it from the moment I saw it. Still, though, only seven of the 15 Newcomers I'm betting on are on it.

On that topic, though, would anyone be opposed to K. Rool using Klaptraps? This "leak" was the only place I saw the idea, so I wanted to see what others thought.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
On that topic, though, would anyone be opposed to K. Rool using Klaptraps? This "leak" was the only place I saw the idea, so I wanted to see what others thought.
Meh, I don't really like the idea since King DDD already uses minions as an attack. King K. Rool has plenty to work with without them.

This is the 1st time I've seen this "leak." The Ship final smash isn't a bad idea. I actually had a similar idea for Bowser Jr.

EDIT: Wait, I would much rather have Gangplank Galleon as a stage instead of a final smash.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

The leak is false. Given that development hadn't started yet, there's no way that they could have planned out the roster that soon.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The leak is false. Given that development hadn't started yet, there's no way that they could have planned out the roster that soon.
That and the roster is... kinda weird imo. Why, if you wanted a Dragon Quest rep, would you go with the slime? And why is Sonic listed among newcomers? And given Sakurai's recent comments regarding roster size, that seems like too many new characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That and the roster is... kinda weird imo. Why, if you wanted a Dragon Quest rep, would you go with the slime? And why is Sonic listed among newcomers? And given Sakurai's recent comments regarding roster size, that seems like too many new characters.
Well, Slime is the mascot, so it is plausible for a DQ rep.

Anyway, that was a rumor from way back, so it's best not to look into it, I think.

D

Deleted member

Because Slime is the mascot and has crossed over with Mario a few times.

Also, while the roster leak for Universe ended up being false, there is something that concerns me.
What was translated on the original Universe document was false, but it was stated that the document is something official.

Does that mean....that it really IS going to be Universe while all the other rumors associated with it are false?

D

Deleted member

Funny how this thread seems to be the one that goes off-topic the most.

Guess it mainly due to King K. Rool beingthe most wanted newcomer.
Sure, I'd be for it. It could work as a Down B.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I'd rather K. Rool have his butt shockwaves from DK64 as his Down B, as tossing Klap Traps kind of seems like a Waddle Dee Toss clone.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I would like the claptrap idea if it runs along the floor snapping at peoples legs. I can see why people dont want it though.

Im more concerned about his Kannon getting in. I would like it to completely like the boss battle in DKC2. It would probably far to complicated for one normal move but it would suit his haphazard nature.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, Slime is the mascot, so it is plausible for a DQ rep.
I'm aware of that, but it just doesn't seem to me like the slime has moveset potential. But then again, I haven't played any Dragon Quest games, so maybe he does.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm aware of that, but it just doesn't seem to me like the slime has moveset potential. But then again, I haven't played any Dragon Quest games, so maybe he does.
He really doesn't in the games. They'd have to be pretty creative to invent one for him.

D

Deleted member

He really doesn't in the games. They'd have to be pretty creative to invent one for him.
Except they don't.
http://evilwaluigi.deviantart.com/art/Newcomer-Rocket-279980735

This moveset is all from Rocket Slime.

Then there are ones that involve some creativity based around different types of Slime as well as the playable Slime class in one of the DQ games such as this one:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/60885641

But this isn't a Slime topic.

So I ask again; how fast should K. Rool be? He was pretty damn fast in DKC.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Except they don't.
http://evilwaluigi.deviantart.com/art/Newcomer-Rocket-279980735

This moveset is all from Rocket Slime.

Then there are ones that involve some creativity based around different types of Slime as well as the playable Slime class in one of the DQ games such as this one:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/60885641

But this isn't a Slime topic.

So I ask again; how fast should K. Rool be? He was pretty damn fast in DKC.
I'm sure they can take items and moves from the game an apply it to Slime and call it a moveset, but neither of those have A attacks for them. Kind of hard when slime has no limbs or tentacles

D

Deleted member

Please direct this to the General Roster Discussion Thread or something.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure they can take items and moves from the game an apply it to Slime and call it a moveset, but neither of those have A attacks for them. Kind of hard when slime has no limbs or tentacles
1. The second one does; you just didn't pay attention.

2. Again, this is not a Slime thread. Focus on K. Rool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool ought to be around DK's speed, which I believe is around ninth fastest in the game. He clearly can't keep -all- of his speed from DKC, but it would seem awkward to turn him into a sluggish slug if he's using his design from that game (which most people have agreed is likely). His speed and power would be offset by his massive size, which would allow almost any character to damage-rack on him quickly.

I wouldn't mind Klaptraps as a Down Special, because the shockwaves could still be mapped to a Down Smash, although I'd hope they act differently than Waddle Dees...K. Rool deserves better than a special even remotely similar to that of another character. Perhaps they could behave like they do in the Mario Sports games and bite onto foes, dragging along to slow them down or decrease their jumping height?

It seems unlikely K. Rool would get a minion toss attack, since that would give him a grand total of -three- projectiles as specials, assuming he gets his blunderbuss (crown toss is a lock).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
An awesome call back would if he had snapjaw's instead of klaptraps.

Snapjaw is the inspiration for Kalptraps from Donkey Kong Jr.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, a way to make them different is that while Waddle Dees are ONLY used as projectiles (they don't do anything harmful afterwards) with the exception of Waddle Doos, which occasionally shoot eye sparks, Klap Traps would be walking around platforms while chomping away like they do in their home series.

Still don't favor the idea, however.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To be fair, a way to make them different is that while Waddle Dees are ONLY used as projectiles (they don't do anything harmful afterwards) with the exception of Waddle Doos, which occasionally shoot eye sparks, Klap Traps would be walking around platforms while chomping away like they do in their home series.

Still don't favor the idea, however.
Waddle Dee's actually CAN attack after they've been summoned. They just don't do it very often
Waddle Dees are the standard projectile used in King Dedede's side special move, Waddle Dee Toss, and in his Final Smash, Waddle Dee Army. After being thrown, they "waddle" across the stage, and will do one of three things while they walk: trip in place, stumble forward, or jump upwards. When a Waddle Dee jumps, any opponent in its jumping path will receive a small amount of damage and knockback (similar to when a thrown Waddle Dee hits an opponent). During King Dedede's Final Smash, the Waddle Dee Army, the Waddle Dees will fall then quickly run across the stage, knocking any opponent in their path in the direction that they were running. Four Waddle Dees carry King Dedede on a palanquin during his entrance.

Top Bottom