• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The fact I used Helipack for almost all of the cloned moves says something about the sheer potential of the move.

Can K. Ing Koopa's version of Flying Slam at least be called the Flying Krock?
Not my picture else I'd change it to that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Other than the fake leak from before, no. I see potential Kutthroats!

But yeah, if anyone took a look at that texture on that model to anything else in the game, it's lower quality than 3DS assist trophies. That's no character reveal. Either way, K. Rool's popularity is without question, though we reached this conclusion some time ago. Now all the fake leaks can't be cool without K. Rool. A year ago, few people gave him a second thought.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
lol at the K. Rool "leak"

It is LITERALLY just his Smash 4 trophy model at an angle. You'd have to be brain dead to believe that for more than 10 seconds.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Biruh Haptu 55 minutes ago
Can we please not I can deal with Inkling, I'm down for Wonder Red K Rool just seems awkward and large and like he wouldn't be fun to play in smash.
Reply · 19

Yep, K. Rool is definitely the new Ridley. Since relevancy no longer matters thanks to the ballot, people making up reasons to hate on the character because they're jealous that their favorites aren't as popular. Let me guess, "he wouldn't be fun to play as" because you suck with heavyweights, amirite? Christ, it's getting to the point where I'm going to be livid if K. Rool doesn't get in.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
where do you guys find these leaks? lol but i had a dream about king k rool not to long ago. I was at my old grandmothers house and viewing the smash website. I saw King K Rool confirmed, and i literally cried in front of my whole family. After all the years of melee, brawl, and smash 4, I finally had the one character I always have wanted since i was a kid. To bad IT WASN'T REAL >.< I hate you Mr. Brain of mine...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
But will K. Rool be accused of being a clone of everybody after this contest?
Yes. He brings nothing new to the table and would just be another fat slow lizard. We have the chance to "vote in" any character in the world and people are voting for him instead of [my favorite character]??

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Etika's late to the party as usual.
The level of bullsh*t in the comment section is just to damn high!
Detractors are now using the tactic, saying they are K Rool fans but do NOT want him in, just to seem more believable...

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Etika's late to the party as usual.
Eitka-senpai used my drawing!... now I feel bad for unsubbing to his channel of slowpoke youtube reactions.

But really, its been a weird week for K. Rool. Leaks and trademarks and speculation ahoy. It gives you a strong sense of confidence. Which I wish I didn't had since we still have to wait until October.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's krazy to think that only recently K. Rool has started to appear on fake leaks. Detractors can't ignore him now and, of course, will make up any lazy excuses to why K. Rool is turrible like being fat, no clothing, Bowser clone, and so on. His popularity is only growing more and more.

It's awesome to be a part of the Kutthroats for very close to a year. The dedication we all show towards K. Rool and his character is nothing short of amazing.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I am intrigued and excited. Honestly, I really don't see much that could legitimately stand in his way at this point, and I'm getting stoked. True, the 'leak' was obviously just the trophy rotated, but the fact that K.Rool is in leaks now shows that he's one of the most believable possibilities. I'm almost at the point that I'd be surprised if K.Rool isn't in. Unfortunately, I fear I'm also getting complacent...

But when we're at a point that the RTC thread may have underestimated his chances with a 70%... things are looking very good. He was the first character we rated, and NOBODY has knocked him down from most wanted.

Stay strong Kutthroats, things are looking good for us now.

Although there is one part of that leak I hope is true (well, I liked all the returning stages and Wolf too) - that the next Direct is soon. And I'm hoping the direct gives us Tourney mode, the two N64 stages we're expecting (more is also good...), and finishes with the last two characters we know are coming, confirming all of the 'Mario' slots to be pre-ballot. And if they just ended the direct with a tease at "the ballot is almost done, and we've started working on some of those characters" and then just showed us the K.Rool model the same way they did Mewtwo, and announced a December release...

:crazy::love:all of my want!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Skixy 43 minutes ago
I damn hope not. K. Rool just seems so out of place, just someone that isn't even relevant at all. I kinda hope they'd surprise us with a character that nobody expected. K Rool is someone everybody wants, it'd just be an obvious pick if they went with him. I don't know, I'd prefer someone like Sora from Kingdom Hearts or Tingle, or someone. That's just me, though.

I almost want to create a YouTube comment just to inform this person how ridiculous this comment is.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
In the vanilla game, there's more murkiness about the character selection because Sakurai and his team chose the characters behind the scenes. But now that fan discussion and voting seems to have a greater and more overt influence, the selection process seems more "transparent". I think this intensifies arguments about stolen slots because we are now seeing the character selection in "real time", at least in some people's eyes. For fans, I'm guessing this is both powerful and frustrating. Depends on how well your favorite characters are doing. This is somewhat inevitable for any of the characters right now. Even K. Rool, who seems to enjoy the plurality of support, probably doesn't enjoy a majority (more than 50% of support). I would think the backlash would be even greater for a less popular character like Shantae, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc...

Some nintendo fanboyism going on too, probably. I always got the impression that some K. Rool haters were nintendo purists who followed the "party line" when it came to K. Rool. That is, because K. Rool wasn't in DKCR or DKCTF, these fans consciously or subconsciously thought of K. Rool in a negative way. Something like, "Clearly, since K. Rool wasn't in the new games, he's not a very good character and doesn't deserve to come back". After repeating this for years and proclaiming "nobody cares about K.Rool", it must be quite a shock for them to be confronted with quite a different truth.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As (fittingly, given the character) mean spirited as the drawings from this person are, I really do like the style in which they draw K. Rool, makes him look scary.

It's so fake it's sad. That render is horrible.

Also, the only worthwhile information there is someone figured out that K. Rool is now trademarked, which we known about and discussed to great length.
Again, there's a difference between being registered trademarked and just basic trademark. K. Rool hasn't been "registered" as a trademark, which would be a huge red flag. The basic trademark is interesting because it does show they think he's marketable now. I also noticed that Chunky, Tiny, and Lanky have a trademark on DK64 as well.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
On that note, what old merchandise is there for the DK64 Kongs? Because K. Rool was never trademarked back in the day and also never received merchandise outside of cartoon stuff from Japan, but maybe the DK64 Kongs got some Western-released figurines or something?

dkkrang95

Smash Apprentice
NNID
strongkong95
On that note, what old merchandise is there for the DK64 Kongs? Because K. Rool was never trademarked back in the day and also never received merchandise outside of cartoon stuff from Japan, but maybe the DK64 Kongs got some Western-released figurines or something?
There was a prototype for a King K. Rool plush around DK64's release
Edit: They also made a Lanky one, and Tiny.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Some nintendo fanboyism going on too, probably. I always got the impression that some K. Rool haters were nintendo purists who followed the "party line" when it came to K. Rool. That is, because K. Rool wasn't in DKCR or DKCTF, these fans consciously or subconsciously thought of K. Rool in a negative way. Something like, "Clearly, since K. Rool wasn't in the new games, he's not a very good character and doesn't deserve to come back". After repeating this for years and proclaiming "nobody cares about K.Rool", it must be quite a shock for them to be confronted with quite a different truth.
It's this, but the "party line" on K. Rool goes back further than Retro's games. You have a small number of arcade fans who resent Rare for reinventing the character and series, period (and also the Gamecube-era fans they won over during their heyday). Not only did DK change from an old-timey villain to a platforming hero (hence the "bawww it's too much like Mario/K. Rool is just like Bowser), but the DKC series became bigger than just DK himself. A lot of the envy got channeled toward "bawwww too many characters, DK should be in the spotlight," which entailed all of the Kongs at first (see Jungle Beat), but eventually spared the Kongs who got "legitimized" through new "main series" games. Notice the tolerance of all the TF Kongs, not to mention the DKC formula, which became accepted as the needed format for DK games to actually sell (also see Jungle Beat).

The hate also rubbed off on Kremlings and K. Rool; when you have compelling recurring enemies designed with Rare's quirks (and a conflict that's not their preferred DK vs. Mario, which also explains the constant denial of Cranky as the original DK), that's going to be a target. Couple that with Retro's disuse of them thus far and you have an easy recipe for these people to dance on their graves, to sing the praises of enemy groups like Tikis who are essentially wallpaper to DK himself (what with the helper Kongs all being power-ups in Retro's games).

Naturally, when you have a vested interest in characters not being in new games, having legions of fans requesting their return and overwhelmingly dominating general consensus results in a lot of bitterness, of "why do people like K. Rool??" and, more passively, talk of how "fan votes on the ballot don't matter or might not matter."

If we're lucky, we're on the brink of all that talk getting flushed away like the [insert flushable material here] it is with K. Rool's addition into Smash, and what a relief that will be.

Last edited:

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
NOOO!!!!! I DON'T WANT K ROOL LEAKED BEFORE THE RELEASE!!!!

I still think he will most likely be upcoming DLC but I actually want a surprise for his reveal so I'm hoping the leaked models are fake.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
NOOO!!!!! I DON'T WANT K ROOL LEAKED BEFORE THE RELEASE!!!!

I still think he will most likely be upcoming DLC but I actually want a surprise for his reveal so I'm hoping the leaked models are fake.
They're the Smash 4 trophy renders, don't worry.

We have yet to see our Glorious King.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
It's this, but the "party line" on K. Rool goes back further than Retro's games. You have a small number of arcade fans who resent Rare for reinventing the character and series, period (and also the Gamecube-era fans they won over during their heyday). Not only did DK change from an old-timey villain to a platforming hero (hence the "bawww it's too much like Mario/K. Rool is just like Bowser), but the DKC series became bigger than just DK himself. A lot of the envy got channeled toward "bawwww too many characters, DK should be in the spotlight," which entailed all of the Kongs at first (see Jungle Beat), but eventually spared the Kongs who got "legitimized" through new "main series" games. Notice the tolerance of all the TF Kongs, not to mention the DKC formula, which became accepted as the needed format for DK games to actually sell (also see Jungle Beat).

The hate also rubbed off on Kremlings and K. Rool; when you have compelling recurring enemies designed with Rare's quirks (and a conflict that's not their preferred DK vs. Mario, which also explains the constant denial of Cranky as the original DK), that's going to be a target. Couple that with Retro's disuse of them thus far and you have an easy recipe for these people to dance on their graves, to sing the praises of enemy groups like Tikis who are essentially wallpaper to DK himself (what with the helper Kongs all being power-ups in Retro's games).

Naturally, when you have a vested interest in characters not being in new games, having legions of fans requesting their return and overwhelmingly dominating general consensus results in a lot of bitterness, of "why do people like K. Rool??" and, more passively, talk of how "fan votes on the ballot don't matter or might not matter."

If we're lucky, we're on the brink of all that talk getting flushed away like the [insert flushable material here] it is with K. Rool's addition into Smash, and what a relief that will be.
What exactly is this 'DKC formula' ? I tried to google it but i did not find anything helpfull :/

StormC

Smash Hero
Does anyone have that Yes We Kan picture by itself? Google isn't helping me.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
There was a prototype for a King K. Rool plush around DK64's release
Edit: They also made a Lanky one, and Tiny.

That Tiny Kong has a funny face.
Funny faces are reserved for Lanky and Lanky only.
That's why these never released.

StormC

Smash Hero
And yeah, didn't Etika initially call K. Rool a "bad heavyweight nobody would play as?" Did he just flipflop because he's popular?

Top Bottom