• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
This makes me wonder... What will happen when K. Rool is finally confirmed?
A lot of support threads get closed because, well, the support isn't necessary anymore since the character is finally in the game.
But this thread isn't just a support thread. It's part of the Kremling Kampaign.
And it's main goal is not just to get K. Rool in Smash, but also in a new Donkey Kong game.

Will this thread simply get closed, too, or is there a chance of it to just get moved somewhere else on SmashBoards to focus on the second goal? I am aware of that some people here don't have that much interest in the DK games, so maybe a new thread should be opened to focus the second goal, if this thread gets closed?
There must be a place for this.

However, a K. Rool social thread will happen eventually and I will most likely join it.
If this thread gets closed, I hope to see most of you there, too.

The best case scenario for us would of course be K. Rool revealed for Smash alongside a new DK game with K. Rool and the Kremlings in it.
Then the Kremling Kampaign finally reached its goals...

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
So far this thread has over 1,200,000 views!

I hope K. Rool is leading the Smash ballot over characters like Isaac and Waddle Dee including in Japan.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Man, it's gonna be great if K. Rool is confirmed. PARTY HARD, PARTY HARD, PARTY HARD, PARTY HARD~!

What's the first thing you'll do if he's revealed? ;3
Something similar to Joshscorcher's reaction to Hyrule Warriors being revealed.

D

Deleted member

BigJuicyMeatPost
It's okay too have a opinion but if it's a negative one it might be a good idea too keep it too yourself.
I hope that some day Nintendo gives us an explanation of what happened to K. Rool's tail...
nintendo told him that they have already have reptiles with tails for villains so they decide to fire him he would do anything to get his job back so he kut off his tail too get they're attention.
Man, it's gonna be great if K. Rool is confirmed. PARTY HARD, PARTY HARD, PARTY HARD, PARTY HARD~!

What's the first thing you'll do if he's revealed? ;3
i will admire his beautiful HD belly then scream and run naked through a field of flowers.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm much less concerned with K. Rool coming back to DKC than Smash; Smash will immortalize him as a character and is the end goal of pretty much any Nintendo character.

Not that I don't want it to happen... but Smash is a much more direct way to keep the character alive. And if I had to pick between having K. Rool in Smash 4 or having Kremlings in the next DKC game, I'd honestly pick the former.

I see that if K. Rool gets in many people will lose interest in Smash. That sucks. I always have some one else I root for after my top pick. Maybe because I'm young.
I think you're older than me lol.

I'll always follow Smash games and keep playing them for as long as I can, but I don't think I can get emotionally invested in the crazy day-to-day character speculation like before. I'll be content to just sit back and watch the new content come in.

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about something:

How many of you would be totally content with Smash if K. Rool was added? I know @ StormC StormC said he'd never need to get emotionally invested in speculation again, so I'm curious as to how much of a relief it'd be for the rest of all y'all if K. Rool made the cut this time.
As far as characters are concerned, I was more or less content once Olimar was confirmed for Brawl, since he was really my only "must-have" character. I'm satisfied with how he's been portrayed in Smash, so I guess my main priority these days is having him and my other favorite characters return in future Smash games.

As a Pikmin fan, it was awesome to see Olimar make it to Smash; I want fans of other characters to know that feeling too, you know? I believe there's a strong case for including K. Rool in Smash (as evidenced by this thread) and I feel like his devoted fan following deserves as much. I think the sense of community here is pretty cool; I'm a bit jealous that there really isn't something like that for Olimar (his social thread seems to be inactive and pretty competitively oriented from what I've seen and I'm not really into that). I could say the same sort of stuff about Dixie and her supporters as well.

If Olimar being in Smash didn't make me want to stop participating in speculation about who was going to be in Smash, I doubt K. Rool or Dixie making it in will either. I'd probably just focus on other characters I'd like to see in Smash like Tails.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
The only character i wanted more than K.Rool i admit was Ridley but since he cant really happen (in this game at least) if K Rool gets added they will be a huge gap from who else i want since i dont care about the other chars as much.

Kamek
Petey Piranna
Dry Bowser
Sylux
Banjo & kazooie.

K.Rool and Ridley are miles ahead of want than the others.
Fix it for you.;)

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

How many of you would be totally content with Smash if K. Rool was added? I know @ StormC StormC said he'd never need to get emotionally invested in speculation again, so I'm curious as to how much of a relief it'd be for the rest of all y'all if K. Rool made the cut this time.
For me, there are still characters that I'd like to see, but I'm obviously not shooting for all of them in Smash 4. I'm pretty much with StormC in that K. Rool would be the big one for me is Smash. I could care less who else gets in if K. Rool made it.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
As far as characters are concerned, I was more or less content once Olimar was confirmed for Brawl, since he was really my only "must-have" character. I'm satisfied with how he's been portrayed in Smash, so I guess my main priority these days is having him and my other favorite characters return in future Smash games.

As a Pikmin fan, it was awesome to see Olimar make it to Smash; I want fans of other characters to know that feeling too, you know? I believe there's a strong case for including K. Rool in Smash (as evidenced by this thread) and I feel like his devoted fan following deserves as much. I think the sense of community here is pretty cool; I'm a bit jealous that there really isn't something like that for Olimar (his social thread seems to be inactive and pretty competitively oriented from what I've seen and I'm not really into that). I could say the same sort of stuff about Dixie and her supporters as well.

If Olimar being in Smash didn't make me want to stop participating in speculation about who was going to be in Smash, I doubt K. Rool or Dixie making it in will either. I'd probably just focus on other characters I'd like to see in Smash like Tails.
I have to admit, I think it is sad that there isn't a lot of Pikmin talk in general.
Even though Pikmin is popular, its fanbase is one of the most silent fanbases I've ever seen.

The more time goes by, the more I wonder how this thread can just go on and on with discussions and support, even though it seems that everything has been said before, for them there's always something to talk about.
I still wonder how this works, even though I'm here for almost a year (I think?) already.

However, you have a really great attitude, to say that you want other people to feel how you felt when Olimar got into Smash.
Most people don't care for others and want only the stuff they want to get in... It's really sad, but true...

D

Deleted member

Most people don't care for others and want only the stuff they want to get in... It's really sad, but true...
I agree so much man, a lot of people are butthurt and salty whenever their character they don't make it in.....

I mean, i can understand that everyone has different tastes, but can't people be a little more respectful when things like that happened?

I hope there's a light at the end of this tunnel and that when DLC speculation ends, we can enjoy Sm4ash with our favorite Characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Man, that moment when you check in on a thread and see three new unread pages...makes you think another "Major Leak" has happened, heh.

@ StormC StormC This (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72182770) was the thread where a few people sagely pointed out the insecurity behind a lot of K. Rool detraction.

@TheDarkMetaKnight It's a fair enough idea, but I think the Kutthroat list eliminates the possibility of trolls spamming 'no' to rile up fans, while also being more personal for each supporter who can see their name on the front page of the forum's biggest support thread.

To borrow Sakurai's metaphor, any characters we get after K. Rool are dessert to me. Granted, I'd certainly prefer certain desserts before others, like the parfait that is Wolf (have you ever met a person, you say 'let's get some parfait,' they say 'hell no, I don't like no parfait'...parfaits are delicious!) vs. the prune scone of *insert less interesting choice here*, but K. Rool would be such a fantastic main course for me (a guy who's gone years without tasting his favorite dish) that it would make up for virtually anything else Chef Sakurai could serve. My time on Smashboards would also switch from speculation (which has gone majorly down the tubes since the game's release) to hanging out and gaming with all the Kutthroats who hang around in the new K. Rool subforum.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm much less concerned with K. Rool coming back to DKC than Smash; Smash will immortalize him as a character and is the end goal of pretty much any Nintendo character.

Not that I don't want it to happen... but Smash is a much more direct way to keep the character alive. And if I had to pick between having K. Rool in Smash 4 or having Kremlings in the next DKC game, I'd honestly pick the former.

I think you're older than me lol.

I'll always follow Smash games and keep playing them for as long as I can, but I don't think I can get emotionally invested in the crazy day-to-day character speculation like before. I'll be content to just sit back and watch the new content come in.
I'm 14.

lelelelelel

Smash Apprentice
I started to care about what character I wanted in sm4sh back when little mac was revealed, it was the first newcomer trailer I watched and since then the only character that I wanted was K. Rool, I don't even know why, the only dk games that I owned were the game boy color port of dkc and dk 64, I played dkc 2 and 3 at my cousin's house but I never got to K. Rool, I don't know why I suddenly wanted him in smash, I guess I just thought that he deserved it

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I would. With Mewtwo returning and Mega Man added, he's all that's left for me. There are other characters I'd like to see (better Ganondorf, Dixie, Goroh, Simon Belmont etc.), but Smash Bros. has a big K. Rool shaped hole that needs filling. Or to use a different analogy, if Smash Bros. was a dinosaur museum, K. Rool is the Stegosaurus. Something that has no right not being there.
I have the same sentiments. Once K.rool is in i'd be satisfied. Sure there's other characters i'd still want to see but as BKupa said before that would just be a nice dessert to go with the main course.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also from that same source:View attachment 62531
WOOT WOOT KREMLINGS for being "unique in terms of traits, overly balanced based on size and strength, AND from a stable franchise"!!! VERY STABLE, I might add :D!
They meant "from the franchises already represented in the game" with the thing about stables, there. ;)

I would be mostly content. After K.Rool, I only really want Bandana Waddle Dee - anyone else is a bonus, to me, for this game. That said, that doesn't rule out new franchises showing up between now and the next game, that I'd like to see represented in the future. :laugh:

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
King K. Rool is probably my first (and last) character speculation experience. I've mostly been just going along with what the game has but after the Fighter Ballot I thought the possibilities were limitless. I've mostly stayed to this thread, though. As soon as I saw that Nintendo Direct I immediately found the website and voted King K. Rool. Since I didn't know how the website worked I put in another vote, but this time for Lanky Kong (I'm probably in the minority that legitimately wants Lanky not because he's a meme). However, I went back to King K. Rool because his fanbase is so big and so dedicated that it felt like this could actually happen.

If King K. Rool gets in, I'll probably just go back to simply enjoying Sakurai's choices. Characters I REALLY want are Marx from Kirby and Galacta Knight from Kirby but, sadly, those probably won't happen. If there's another Smash Ballot, I'll definitely vote for them but there's no big fanbase to get attached to like this one. And while I like these characters, the fact that the character that was literally labeled as "Donkey Kong's Bowser" didn't get in base game is kind of shocking. King K. Rool deserves my full support for the time being.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I know I'm a little late on the subject, but King K. Rool and Rayman are the only characters that I truly want to see appear in Smash. Everyone else is just icing on the cake.
Rayman was a favorite of mine back in my childhood. I had a lot of memories playing Rayman 2 on the N64 and love Origins and Legends. It wasn't until the trophy and leak that I started to realize he actually had a chance, so I decided to join Smashboards to support the limbless hero.
However, out of all the games that I had experienced in my childhood, my fondest memories came directly from Donkey Kong 64. People may have hated the game for its focus on collecting, but I absolutely adored it. There's a sense of satisfaction from getting a rating of 101% that a lot of games these days lack. Not to mention, it's imaginative hub world makes it a joy to explore. Sure, the game was a little too easy and had WAY too many minigames, but at the end of the day, DK64 was such a blast that I couldn't care less.
The game introduced me to the Kremling King himself. When I first played the game, I was shocked at how intimidating his voice and design were. Then, when I learned of his plans of destroying DK Isle with the Blast-o-Matic, I realized he was MUCH more sinister and diabolical villain than Bowser ever was, and I loved him for that.
To this day, DK64 is the only DK game that I have played that features King K. Rool. Since my knowledge on him is pretty limited, I'm not really active on this thread. I also find the Banjo games to be superior compared to DK64 due to the lack of minigames.
That said, I would be lying if I said I don't want to see K. Rool in Smash. The fact that he's the main villain of the DK franchise is enough reason to include him. Besides, I would definitely welcome a character that ISN'T an anime boy with a sword.
The fact that K. Rool basically has this in the bag makes me pretty giddy to see him finally return. If the Kremling King makes the cut, it'll be all because of this thread's efforts to get Nintendo to notice the King.
At the end of the day, I am both a Kutthroat and an Electoon. Although the majority of my time here on Smashboards is in the Rayman thread, I just want to let you guys know that I'm rooting for you to win and finish this fight. Good luck, Kutthroats.
#KrocTheVote

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Welp, It was a tough decision, but I finally casted my vote for the ballot for King K. Rool! It was a hard choice between some other characters, and K. Rool was one of my top choices, but you guys have convinced me to vote for K. Rool.

Here's to the King finally getting his finest hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
Then why does your profile say 25?????

I was basically in the reverse situation for Olimar in Brawl. I had never played a Pikmin game but I really wanted Olimar in Brawl and thought he deserved to be immortalized as a Nintendo all-star. And not only did he get in, he got one of the most creative, faithful movesets in the series, and I was extremely happy for his fans.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Welp, It was a tough decision, but I finally casted my vote for the ballot for King K. Rool! It was a hard choice between some other characters, and K. Rool was one of my top choices, but you guys have convinced me to vote for K. Rool.

Here's to the King finally getting his finest hour!
Since you have done that, you have shown that you are one of us.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I started supporting K. Rool for Smash... Hmm... Around the time I played through Jungle Climber. I remember not really giving K. Rool much thought as a final boss when playing the GBA ports of the DKC trilogy. Then, years later, I played through Jungle Climber... And I remember seeing K. Rool, and remembering his name of all things very well. K. Rool. What an interesting name, I thought. He was then on my mind for a while. He then started to gain my interest. I looked up the DKC final boss fight to refresh my memory, and thought the song that played while it happened was very memorable. I was also playing through brawl at the time, and eventually, I unlocked the brawl remix of Gangplank Galleon. Soon, K. Rool was becoming a favorite. He stayed on my mind, and I began to wonder what happened to him and the kremlings, and why they weren't in Returns. I began to hope that in the next DKC, they would be back in. Skip to finally, the big day. The day the first Smash Bros 4 trailer dropped. I was excited, another chance for some of my favorite characters to be in Smash Bros! K. Rool, and some others were on the mind of course. I began to vocalize my support on miiverse somewhere around the time the E3 2014 newcomers were announced... But I wasn't all too welcomed. I was told that K. Rool was
1. Owned by Rare, which I know wasn't true.
2. Wasn't relevant, which was hard to counter.
3. A terrible choice, and that he would never get in, Lord Frederik or Dixie Kong would be better. Hell, one of the most well known users in that community himself spoke against my support.
It... Caused me to question if anybody really cared for K. Rool anymore. It made me wonder if I was invisible, and small to Nintendo. Was K. Rool just a wishlist character? I decided that I needed answers. I heard about some Smash forums, so I looked them up to see if I was truly alone, and found Smashboards. I then navigated to the Character Discussion sub forum, yada yada, and, to my surprise, found this thread without any need to search for it... Aaaand that's how I got here :D it's been kinda wild.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
3. A terrible choice, and that he would never get in, Lord Frederik or Dixie Kong would be better. Hell, one of the most well known users in that community himself spoke against my support.
People said Lord Frederick, a one time villain and basically a K. Rool clone, would be a better choice than King K. Rool himself as a DK rep. What are they taking?

Last edited:

Sir_Killz

Smash Cadet
I just truthfully hope he gets in, literally in terms of the Video Game world there is not a single thing that I want more than King K. Rool to be a playable character in Smash 4. When I first got news that the ballot was opened up, my heart started racing. I had this thought in my mind that He Seriously Has a Shot. I've voted on every tech device I own for him, I've convinced friends to vote for the King. After voting for awhile things started to die down for me for a bit. I was hearing other characters were towering over him like Shovel Knight, and Shantae. Then once summer started for me I began to get back into things a bit more, frequently googling, "King K. Rool's chances" I would find many things on game faqs, but then I finally discovered this thread. I feel at home when looking through at the amazing support we all have for this amazing character. And watching as other supporters from other threads come in here and all they can do is admire what an amazing community we have here. I would go as far as paying another $60 for him as DLC. I know it sounds a bit pathetic but I have actually had dreams about him getting confirmed and what his trailer would be like. I would like to thanks everyone in this community for showing such amazing support for my favorite video game character. I was always a bit on edge about him doing well in the ballot, thinking just maybe someone is more wanted. After finding the forum page at 790+ pages, I've never felt more confident about his chances. Thanks everyone again. KrocTheVote!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's probably a recording by now, but the reason why I began supporting King K. was because Ridley's role had been confirmed as a Boss and Mewtwo would be the first DLC fighter. Roy was the first character I put a tab on as my most wanted veteran (Alongside Wolf), but having seen the enthusiasm and strength of the Kampaign made me interested in wanting K. Rool. Admittedly it took me a while to realise that Donkey Kong got so little content this time around, but I think the return of King K. Rool's return would be the best thing for the series in Smash Bros.

I'm glad to support King K. Rool as a Kutthroat, and I think we're very close to achieving that day of victory when we see King K. Rool's return to the romp of Nintendo All-Stars that is Super Smash Bros.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

If K. Rool got in I'd be cool with anyone else. Waluigi? Right on. Daisy? Right on. Krystal, B.Dee, Isaac, Paper Mario, Corrin, Aqua, Sceptile, Shantae, Shovel Knight? Right on. It's all a bonus after K. Rool.

I'd sit back, enjoy the ride, and congratulate or offer condolences to the others if they do/don't get in.

Edit: Also, I notice that there are those that would salivate at the thought of other characters getting Kremling Kutthroat sized support for their character of choice, but a lot of people here, myself included, threw every ounce of passion behind K. Rool and if he gets in, we'd all be exhausted from getting the King in we'd all just rather relax and enjoy the Kroc in his new subforum, likely with many Kutthroats going on to speculate movesets and matchups and talk of our K. Rool experiences, though there are plenty of other Kutthroats who have other characters in mind for Smash.

But let's be real, if K. Rool gets in, the ballot is over and the winners are decided, so it seems rather silly to continue character speculation anyway until we know a new game is coming out, which is unlikely at this point unless Smash gets a new director.

Edit again: I lied. Wolf is another I for sure want to come back. I skipped over him because I'm that certain he'll be in before K. Rool, likely pre-ballot. I want Ridley the most over any character but settled on the fact he's not happening.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
If K. Rool gets in I'll be content with Smash...

*after K. Rool gets in* "Go ahead wreck the roster! See if I care! I already got what I needed!"

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I feel like Ridley fans kinda moved on to K. Rool when Daddy told them no.

For me it was somewhat the opposite. I began to cling to Ridley harder when it became obvious to me that K. Rool was reduced to a pipe dream (outside of a brief surge of hope brought upon by Kremlings in Smash Run) between Smash 4 newcomers having a focus on the R word and Tropical Freeze confirming that K. Rool was not making a comeback any time soon (and began to accept that Dixie was going to happen), so that I could have at least one evil reptile to play as.

Then Ridley got stage bossed and Dixie was... completely MIA. To say I was baffled that not even Dixie got added is selling it short. Thankfully, Mewtwo's release made me hopeful that future DLC will value popularity over relevancy, and then the ballot happened, which basically made me do a 180 on K. Rool's chances and reignited one last round of Smash speculation.

It's pretty crazy how much K. Rool's chances have rocketed from just a few small factors.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Hell yes it did. K. Rool went from being completely out of the question and even a source of mockery to being the single biggest force in the ballot with plenty of others either getting on board the Kremling train or accepting the fact that K. Rool will have his finest hour. None of this was spurred by a recent appearance or anything. This movement was literally grass roots and home grown and exploded into what we have now, in the face of countless sources of detraction, opposition, and ridicule.

That's why I'm proud to be a Kutthroat and why K. Rool is my most wanted character, and why I log onto Smashboards everyday to speculate on here. Even if I just want at least ONE reptilian villain (Ridley or K. Rool) in Smash. I never really cared too much for K. Rool just basically being the "Poor Man's Bowser" to me and that Nintendo just decided to keep K. Rool out of things because Bowser already took his niche to wanting K. Rool, even if I wouldn't mind his return. This particular community made me krazy about K. Rool though and Donkey Kong in general.

(I wouldn't have played DKC1-3, DK64, or Tropical Freeze without this thread and made me appreciate Donkey Kong more than I did, and desire to see more content in Smash from it).

Prior to this, I really only wanted Ridley, but sadly he's not happening for this game (maybe, unless Sakurai surprises us, which he can). Maybe next game. Quite possibly pull a Villager or Ryu, two characters Sakurai said would be "impossible" before but come around in the next game, be it Villager not being a fighter or Ryu being too typical of a fighter. Maybe Ridley will not be too big afterall.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think I might give up on Smash 4 speculation once he's confirmed. He was one of the first characters I started supporting for Smash 4, and it would be a fitting end to it.
Though I'll be back for Smash 5 speculation. I've learnt and grown a lot from my time here, and I want to know what it feels like to be a veteran speculator. *Insert Cranky Kong-esque grumbling here*

This makes me wonder... What will happen when K. Rool is finally confirmed?
A lot of support threads get closed because, well, the support isn't necessary anymore since the character is finally in the game.
But this thread isn't just a support thread. It's part of the Kremling Kampaign.
And it's main goal is not just to get K. Rool in Smash, but also in a new Donkey Kong game.

Will this thread simply get closed, too, or is there a chance of it to just get moved somewhere else on SmashBoards to focus on the second goal? I am aware of that some people here don't have that much interest in the DK games, so maybe a new thread should be opened to focus the second goal, if this thread gets closed?
There must be a place for this.

However, a K. Rool social thread will happen eventually and I will most likely join it.
If this thread gets closed, I hope to see most of you there, too.

The best case scenario for us would of course be K. Rool revealed for Smash alongside a new DK game with K. Rool and the Kremlings in it.
Then the Kremling Kampaign finally reached its goals...
It depends. Support threads get closed or stay open depending on the mod, so it's all up to BKupa.

:231:

D

Deleted member

I see that if K. Rool gets in many people will lose interest in Smash. That sucks. I always have some one else I root for after my top pick. Maybe because I'm young.
That's because he's the last of his kind when it comes to newcomers; a character with a massive fan base supported actively and loudly by the fans. We have seen plenty of this with Melee and Brawl. With Smash 4, the only four were Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, and Ridley in that order. Mega Man got in the initial roster, Mewtwo is DLC, and Ridley got shot down in every possible fashion by Sakurai. It's just us now (and Wolf but I consider him essentially guaranteed anyway) and we just happen to be the character with no specific statement from Sakurai himself (no news is good news they say).

If King K. Rool becomes DLC, it will serve as the end of the massive fan base that have so well defined character speculation. Interest in future Smash games will resemble a lot like the hype for other video games but Nintendo won't be able to capitalize on the infamous speculation scene like they have with Brawl and Smash 3DS & Wii U. Also people are going to asking for newcomers a lot less than they do now; it will mostly be veterans returning that unfortunately got cut and couldn't return as DLC. And I'd imagine that people that want these veterans back will realize there's always a way to play them so spending money on a new Smash game becomes harder to justify. And characters that could have or formerly had a mighty fan base like Ridley, Krystal, Isaac, and Bomberman have either lost it forever or simply aren't going to obtain them.

We are at the twilight of character speculation as we know it. The infamy that we have all come to loathe love take your pick know will soon perish for good. Speculation during pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 will go down as stuff of legends never to be obtained again.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Ridley can work fine, if the designer can take concessions with his design to make him more feasible at a smaller size. More humaonid, less lanky and gangly. His Other M design is actually pretty close to what could work... but fans hate that design. So in general I feel like Ridley fans don't acknowledge that putting in Ridley isn't as easy as just downsizing him, and they often blow this up into this huge criticism and attack on Sakurai's character because he disagreed on one development choice. And it's frustrating because a lot of post-Smash 4 speculation just boomerangs back to Ridley and... it's made it hard to get jazzed about the character again.

I think Ridley is worth revisiting for 5mash, as long as people accept that it's going to be a very transformed Ridley fit for Smash, not quite the same parent killing purple dragon we all know and love. But for now, I'd rather see other characters.

...like K. Rool! Ahem. Yes.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Thankfully, Mewtwo's release made me hopeful that future DLC will value popularity over relevancy
Which is ironic when Mewtwo being a huge part of the generation VI hype (in other words: recent "relevance") was a reason why many people including me were so certain Mewtwo was a shoo-in for the base roster.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I think anyone would be okay with any rendition of Ridley at this point, as long as he's in, you know? Other M Roidley wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't for that stupid duck billed beak of his. Just give him Super Metroid head, tail, and boney/Xenomorph textures with the body, arm, and leg proportions of Other M and you'd have BAMF Ridley.

Ridley undergoes some pretty incredible and weird transformations between Metroid games, he literally looks completely different, barely even the same creature, between games in his own series. The only things you really need down are:

A) He's purple (most people identify Ridley as being purple even if he was other colors in some games)
B) He's a dragon of some sort
C) He's at least slightly taller than Samus, but not by a huge margine.
D) For god's sake don't use the Other M design straight up. It's hideous.

BOOM, there's your frickin' Ridley.

@Fuzzy Pickles! that's...an interesting thing to think about. With K. Rool in will any character have Mewtwo/Ridley/Rool level of fans? Possibly, this is Smash we're talking about, but most of the series long fans are getting older. A lot of us are just exhausted from the constant speculation, the stuff of legend that arguably contributes most to Smash's popularity. If K. Rool gets in and ESPECIALLY if Ridley gets in I simply won't care about roster speculation anymore, there's nothing more I could ask for and would be okay to lukewarm to anyone else.

StormC

Smash Hero
Which is ironic when Mewtwo being a huge part of the generation VI hype (in other words: recent "relevance") was a reason why many people including me were so certain Mewtwo was a shoo-in for the base roster.
I never expected Mewtwo, to be honest. I just assumed cut characters would never come back, and didn't actively want him despite Mewtwo being one of my favorite Pokemon because of how terrible he was in Melee. Thankfully, he's so much better in 4 and now I can truly enjoy his presence in Smash.

Ridley undergoes some pretty incredible and weird transformations between Metroid games, he literally looks completely different, barely even the same creature, between games in his own series. The only things you really need down are:

A) He's purple (most people identify Ridley as being purple even if he was other colors in some games)
B) He's a dragon of some sort
C) He's at least slightly taller than Samus, but not by a huge margine.
D) For god's sake don't use the Other M design straight up. It's hideous.

BOOM, there's your frickin' Ridley.

I think something like this would be fine, maybe shrink the wingspan so it doesn't clip into everything as much. I used to not like the idea of Ridley crawling but the more I think about it the more it would both help with his size issue and differentiate him from other fighters. I just hope in the hands of professional developers with completely free assets he can have a moveset that's more than just a lovechild of Charizard and Meta Knight.

K. Rool, Ridley, Toad, and Dixie are basically the last Nintendo all-stars left. I think (Captain) Toad and Dixie will be added eventually but this might be K. Rool's only chance for a long time. The good news for Ridley fans is that virtually no other character could be added to 5mash that would generate as much hype as him if K. Rool's finest hour arrives in Smash 4, so from a business perspective it'd almost be foolhardy to not at least seriously consider him.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I never expected Mewtwo, to be honest. I just assumed cut characters would never come back, and didn't actively want him despite Mewtwo being one of my favorite Pokemon because of how terrible he was in Melee. Thankfully, he's so much better in 4 and now I can truly enjoy his presence in Smash.

I think something like this would be fine, maybe shrink the wingspan so it doesn't clip into everything as much. I used to not like the idea of Ridley crawling but the more I think about it the more it would both help with his size issue and differentiate him from other fighters. I just hope in the hands of professional developers with completely free assets he can have a moveset that's more than just a lovechild of Charizard and Meta Knight.

K. Rool, Ridley, Toad, and Dixie are basically the last Nintendo all-stars left. I think (Captain) Toad and Dixie will be added eventually but this might be K. Rool's only chance for a long time. The good news for Ridley fans is that virtually no other character could be added to 5mash that would generate as much hype as him if K. Rool's finest hour arrives in Smash 4, so from a business perspective it'd almost be foolhardy to not at least seriously consider him.
You know what? Screw everyone who said making Ridley Smash size would not make him scary.

That **** is terrifying. Hell, for the wings, just give him Super Metroid wings. Done.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's because he's the last of his kind when it comes to newcomers; a character with a massive fan base supported actively and loudly by the fans. We have seen plenty of this with Melee and Brawl. With Smash 4, the only four were Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, and Ridley in that order. Mega Man got in the initial roster, Mewtwo is DLC, and Ridley got shot down in every possible fashion by Sakurai. It's just us now (and Wolf but I consider him essentially guaranteed anyway) and we just happen to be the character with no specific statement from Sakurai himself (no news is good news they say).

If King K. Rool becomes DLC, it will serve as the end of the massive fan base that have so well defined character speculation. Interest in future Smash games will resemble a lot like the hype for other video games but Nintendo won't be able to capitalize on the infamous speculation scene like they have with Brawl and Smash 3DS & Wii U. Also people are going to asking for newcomers a lot less than they do now; it will mostly be veterans returning that unfortunately got cut and couldn't return as DLC. And I'd imagine that people that want these veterans back will realize there's always a way to play them so spending money on a new Smash game becomes harder to justify. And characters that could have or formerly had a mighty fan base like Ridley, Krystal, Isaac, and Bomberman have either lost it forever or simply aren't going to obtain them.

We are at the twilight of character speculation as we know it. The infamy that we have all come to loathe love take your pick know will soon perish for good. Speculation during pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4 will go down as stuff of legends never to be obtained again.
I suppose Smash hype could become similar to how the train is going for Street Fighter V.

Anyway, once K. Rool is in, it will mark the end of characters who could capitalise on a notable amount of the childhood nostalgia.

:231:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Speaking of Street Fighter, I'll be sad if Blanka is not there. He's my favorite. From what I gather he's not well liked because something to do with lightning spam or something, not huge on SF, just every now and then and I default to Blanka because he's usually the least human thing on the roster.

But Blanka's absence in SFV would be incredibly mild to a new Soulcalibur to not include Lizardman/Aeon. No Lizardman, no buy. Simple as that.

@ SuperNintendoKid SuperNintendoKid

Not in that way, no. Normal Ridley is the good hideous. Other M Ridley is the bad hideous.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think 5mash's roster is in danger of people losing interest. Even if it lacks the immediate star power of guys like Mega Man, Mewtwo and K. Rool, it's very easy to add ~15 new characters just based on what we know right now without it feeling forced. That's not accounting for either new characters or characters that could make a comeback in the public eye; Inkling's reveal in 5mash (betting money on them being the first character revealed) will probably generate hype comparable to Smash 4's best.

If literally all we get in Smash 4 DLC are Wolf, K. Rool, and Isaac, I'd bet Ridley, Captain Toad, Dixie, Inkling, and a new Pokemon and third party character would be able to do a ton of the heavy lifting when it comes to hype drivers. Then you have your Corrins, your Ice Climbers and your Bandana Dees, guys that will please the dedicated internet fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom