• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Right. Here's attempt #5 at a moveset, incorporating a couple of ideas from the more recent movesets posted.

Specials:

Neutral - Blunderbuss Cannon (DKC2). Hold B to charge the cannon, increasing damage and distance. Lightly tapping B fires a smooth cannonball which can be picked up and thrown by any player (it is heavy though!). Holding B fires a Spiked Cannonball which deals more damage and sticks where it lands like a Unira, unable to be picked up by either player, vanishing after 5 seconds. Only one cannonball can be active at one time. Has the utility of a Gyro whilst also being an effective trap move, but not at the same time like ROB Gyro. On the other hand, K Rool's cannonballs are much harder to use against him.

Side - Crown Toss (DKC1). King K Rool tosses his crown forwards as a projectile. Nothing interesting here.

Down - Cannonball Drop (DKC1). King K Rool stomps the ground, causing a cannonball to drop from the skies in front of him. If used in midair, K Rool will drop a cannonball from hammer space, an effective move for returning to the ground.

Up - Kopter (DKC3). K Rool's Kopter activates, allowing him to fly to the stage. This move has similar horizontal recovery to DK with somewhat better vertical recovery, but only has a hit box with the blades and no super armour.

Neutrals:

Jab - Kombo (DK64) - Jabs with his boxing gloves.

Dash Attack - Headbutt (Tropical Freeze). Performs a running crown headbutt. Hey, if Frederick can steal our moves...

F-Tilt - Glove Boomerang (DK64) - Throws his boxing glove as a boomerang for a very weak but safe long range poke.

D-Tilt - Foot Sweep (New) - Sweeps at the opponents feet with claws/gloves. Quicker but weaker than the Jab, with less range.

U-Tilt - Glove Toss (DK64) - Throws his boxing glove upwards for a very weak but safe long range uppercut.

Aerials:

Neutral - Karousel (King Of Swing) - Spins in midair for a reasonably quick but weak aerial with a crown sweetspot.

Forward - Klaw Swipe (Barrel Blast) - Slashes with his claw. See Bowsers forward air.

Back - Blunderbuss Jet (DKC2) - Fires his blunderbuss behind him, propelling him forward. See ROB's Back Air.

Down - Belly Flop (DKL) - Sticks out his gut downwards. Acts as a sex kick.

Up - Cannon Blast (New) - Fires an explosion from his cannon upwards, propelling him downwards.

Smashes:

Forward - Leap Attack (DKC1) - Performs a leaping body slam. Has massive end-lag, though this is avoided if K Rool uses the move to leap off the stage. Can also be used out of a Dash (Using A+B input).

Down - Ground Pound (DK64) - Standard stuff.

Up - Uppercut (DK64) - Again, standard stuff.

One big complaint I see about K Rool is "why do you want an unviable character?" but I honestly think it's quite feasible to break the character. Canonically you can give him massive weight (and momentum cancelling aerials), great trapping moves (including a hit box in spiked cannonballs to absorb projectiles), safe ground pokes, and a good recovery. There's no reason to give him a dysfunctional grab, and with falling cannonballs and placed hit boxes he could have genuine followup from throws.

Move over Sheik, the King is Koming.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Right. Here's attempt #5 at a moveset, incorporating a couple of ideas from the more recent movesets posted.

Specials:

Neutral - Blunderbuss Cannon (DKC2). Hold B to charge the cannon, increasing damage and distance. Lightly tapping B fires a smooth cannonball which can be picked up and thrown by any player (it is heavy though!). Holding B fires a Spiked Cannonball which deals more damage and sticks where it lands like a Unira, unable to be picked up by either player, vanishing after 5 seconds. Only one cannonball can be active at one time. Has the utility of a Gyro whilst also being an effective trap move, but not at the same time like ROB Gyro. On the other hand, K Rool's cannonballs are much harder to use against him.

Side - Crown Toss (DKC1). King K Rool tosses his crown forwards as a projectile. Nothing interesting here.

Down - Cannonball Drop (DKC1). King K Rool stomps the ground, causing a cannonball to drop from the skies in front of him. If used in midair, K Rool will drop a cannonball from hammer space, an effective move for returning to the ground.

Up - Kopter (DKC3). K Rool's Kopter activates, allowing him to fly to the stage. This move has similar horizontal recovery to DK with somewhat better vertical recovery, but only has a hit box with the blades and no super armour.

Neutrals:

Dash Attack - Headbutt (Tropical Freeze). Performs a running crown headbutt. Hey, if Frederick can steal our moves...

F-Tilt - Glove Boomerang (DK64) - Throws his boxing glove as a boomerang for a very weak but safe long range poke.

D-Tilt - Foot Sweep (New) - Sweeps at the opponents feet with claws/gloves. Quicker but weaker than the Jab, with less range.

U-Tilt - Glove Toss (DK64) - Throws his boxing glove upwards for a very weak but safe long range uppercut.

Aerials:

Neutral - Karousel (King Of Swing) - Spins in midair for a reasonably quick but weak aerial with a crown sweetspot.

Forward - Klaw Swipe (Barrel Blast) - Slashes with his claw. See Bowsers forward air.

Back - Blunderbuss Jet (DKC2) - Fires his blunderbuss behind him, propelling him forward. See ROB's Back Air.

Up - Cannon Blast (New) - Fires an explosion from his cannon upwards, propelling him downwards.

Smashes:

Forward - Leap Attack (DKC1) - Performs a leaping body slam. Has massive end-lag, though this is avoided if K Rool uses the move to leap off the stage. Can also be used out of a Dash (Using A+B input).

One big complaint I see about K Rool is "why do you want an unviable character?" but I honestly think it's quite feasible to break the character. Canonically you can give him massive weight (and momentum cancelling aerials), great trapping moves (including a hit box in spiked cannonballs to absorb projectiles), safe ground pokes, and a good recovery. There's no reason to give him a dysfunctional grab, and with falling cannonballs and placed hit boxes he could have genuine followup from throws.

I've been training competitively since the game came out and go to my local. And if K. Rools not Sheik level, I'm going to try and make him as close to Sheik level as possible. ;) Good or bad I'm going to main and learn K. Rool inside and out.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I've been training competitively since the game came out and go to my local. And if K. Rools not Sheik level, I'm going to try and make him as close to Sheik level as possible. ;) Good or bad I'm going to main and learn K. Rool inside and out.
If K Rool could pick up his cannonball, he would likely replace ROB for me as a main. I don't need a top tier character with all the right frame data (I am nowhere near good enough and can only play online) but having a throwable item on For Glory is too much fun.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Specials:

Neutrals:

Aerials:

Smashes:

I like it.
I like your Down-Special more than mine but I also was kinda trying to cram DK64 into one of the specials.
Honestly, if there's anything I'd complain about is that a) I feel either his U or F tilts should be changed... a little weird to have em both be the same, y'know? b) D-Air, totally agree with BUT it should fling him down instead of being a sex kick (DAMMIT I WANT SOMEONE TO HAVE THAT PM WARIO D-AIR), and just a note, wouldn't his U-Air be the same as Ivysaur's?

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Specials:

Neutrals:

Aerials:

Smashes:

Great moves. I think it's a good idea, for anyone who hasn't voted yet or plans on getting others to vote, to mention how K. Rool should have a 1-vs.-1 focus, should be competitive, should be viable against lightweights, etc.

Most of us would play him even if he were low tier, but him getting the exposure of a high tier would be the preferable outcome by far. It would be a pretty big blow to the people who do nothing but whine that "You're voting for this character? He'd just be useless!"

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Great moves. I think it's a good idea, for anyone who hasn't voted yet or plans on getting others to vote, to mention how K. Rool should have a 1-vs.-1 focus, should be competitive, should be viable against lightweights, etc.

Most of us would play him even if he were low tier, but him getting the exposure of a high tier would be the preferable outcome by far. It would be a pretty big blow to the people who do nothing but whine that "You're voting for this character? He'd just be useless!"
It's once again time for K. Rool's survival speech:

http://picosong.com/gJm5/

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I like it.
I like your Down-Special more than I but I also was kinda trying to cram DK64 into one of the specials.
Honestly, if there's anything I'd complain about is that a) I feel either his U or F tilts should be changed... a little weird to have em both be the same, y'know? b) D-Air, totally agree with BUT it should fling him down instead of being a sex kick (DAMMIT I WANT SOMEONE TO HAVE THAT PM WARIO D-AIR), and just a note, wouldn't his U-Air be the same as Ivysaur's?
If you can think of a good change to Up Tilt, go for it. I just can't think of much else to use without making something up on the spot.

As for having DK64 in the specials... eh. Realistically having DK64 repped in the specials means making his Ground Pound a special, and I cannot overstate how much I detest that idea. I think basing his Tilts / Smashes off of DK64 is enough representation especially as the moves lend themselves better to standard Melee fighting anyway. And yeah, the U-air would be Ivysaur's. That's one I couldn't figure out anything better for.

It's not exactly what you've suggested, but my ballot votes did include a link to a moveset as well as pleas to not have the Ground Pound as a special or aerial but as a Smash instead, Gyro-like Cannonballs and falling cannonballs. If Sakurai did those 3 things I think you'd have a reasonably solid character competitively already.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
If you can think of a good change to Up Tilt, go for it. I just can't think of much else to use without making something up on the spot.

As for having DK64 I'm the specials... eh. Realistically having DK64 repped in the specials means making his Ground Pound a special, and I cannot overstate how much I detest that idea. I think basing his Tilts / Smashes off of DK64 is enough representation especially as the moves lend themselves better to standard Melee fighting anyway. And yeah, the U-air would be Ivysaur's. That's one I couldn't figure out anything better for.

It's not exactly what you've suggested, but my ballot votes did include a link to a moveset as well as pleas to not have the Ground Pound as a special or aerial but as a Smash instead, Gyro-like Cannonballs and falling cannonballs. If Sakurai did those 3 things I think you'd have a reasonably solid character competitively already.
I understand why you did the specials as you did, I was locked into making a "unique ground pound special" just in what I managed.

Honestly? You could change either U-tilt or U-Smash into him literally taking a bite out of the competition, and moving the uppercut to u-tilt in the latter case. I mean, he IS a croc and Klaptraps are probably the most iconic kind of Kremling for those giant chompers on em.... (and that was my up smash so I have a little bias to it).

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I understand why you did the specials as you did, I was locked into making a "unique ground pound special" just in what I managed.

Honestly? You could change either U-tilt or U-Smash into him literally taking a bite out of the competition, and moving the uppercut to u-tilt in the latter case. I mean, he IS a croc and Klaptraps are probably the most iconic kind of Kremling for those giant chompers on em....
I usually actually have the Uppercut as the Up Tilt, with falling cannonballs as an Up Smash. I decided to move the cannonballs to a special as I liked the idea of being able to drop them in midair which left room for the uppercut as a Smash.

In some sense I like the idea of him having a minion like a Klaptrap in one of his moves but I have difficulty visualising it in my head.

One other idea I entertained was a jumping crown headbutt but felt this was too similar to Bowser in the end.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's great as well. The idea is just to hammer home in write-ups that we want a K. Rool made with competitive play in mind, rather than a K. Rool made with the idea of 'balance' that "He's slow and laggy and a giant-*** target, but he has a really good Final Smash and a OHKO you'll maybe land once ever, so it all evens out."

Burruni

Smash Hero
I usually actually have the Uppercut as the Up Tilt, with falling cannonballs as an Up Smash. I decided to move the cannonballs to a special as I liked the idea of being able to drop them in midair which left room for the uppercut as a Smash.

In some sense I like the idea of him having a minion like a Klaptrap in one of his moves but I have difficulty visualising it in my head.

One other idea I entertained was a jumping crown headbutt but felt this was too similar to Bowser in the end.
I was meaning on K. Rool just opening up his mouth and snapping down, possibly with his jaws "cartoonishly" enlarging for the effect.
:4wario2:'s fist and head do it in a number of moves.
:4diddy:'s hands do it in his f-tilt at least.
:4olimar::4alph:'s f-tilt fist.
:4mario::4drmario:'s f-air fist.
There's precedent.
Maybe I'm using too much creative license.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I was meaning on K. Rool just opening up his mouth and snapping down, possibly with his jaws "cartoonishly" enlarging for the effect.
:4diddy:'s hands do it in his f-tilt at least.
:4olimar::4alph:'s f-tilt fist.
:4mario::4drmario:'s f-air fist.
There's precedent.
Maybe I'm using too much creative license.
Don't remind me of Wario's new Side Smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You do realise Wario does the exact same thing, right? It's the entire foundation of his neutral-b.

There is definitely precedent~

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I was meaning for a tilt/smash attack. Not as a command grab/special.
Winnie, Wario's one of my main 4.
I know ;3
Bu, I was being facetious and demonstrating that "opening jaws really wide" is verbatim used in Wario's moveset.

I know you know. ;3

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I've never understood the "Why would you want an unviable character" complaint, to be honest. Not everybody is focused on competitive play. I wouldn't care if he was the worst character in the game, I wouldn't care if he had terrible matchups against most fighters, I just want to play as a well-represented King K. Rool in Smash Bros.

Not to say he CAN'T be viable, considering the game's pretty well balanced in my opinion, but I really don't mind either way.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I've never understood the "Why would you want an unviable character" complaint, to be honest. Not everybody is focused on competitive play. I wouldn't care if he was the worst character in the game, I wouldn't care if he had terrible matchups against most fighters, I just want to play as a well-represented King K. Rool in Smash Bros.

Not to say he CAN'T be viable, considering the game's pretty well balanced in my opinion, but I really don't mind either way.
Same, never really cared for competitive. I just play against friends.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This is off-topic, but the VC manual for DKC2 says that Squawks shoots eggs. I always thought they were seeds.

I don't know what to believe anymore

If he gets in he'll definitely be mid-low tier. They just can't make him high tier whilst staying true to his character's properties. It's not like he's going to be zonebreaker with low endlag on all his moves. He'd be slow, but possibly a bit technical with projectiles and traps. The only way he'd be high tier is if he had some kind of broken mechanic like an infinite, but that would just get patched.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Seriously? I thought they were nuts, like the kind Necky shoots.
I wouldn't take the manual to be cannon seeing as it was probably written by some random NoA employee who has no connection to the original games.

I figured they were seeds instead of nuts or eggs because of the whole birdseed thing. But then again you have neckies so I don't know anymore.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I grew up calling them walnuts for what it's worth.

If he gets in he'll definitely be mid-low tier. They just can't make him high tier whilst staying true to his character's properties. It's not like he's going to be zonebreaker with low endlag on all his moves. He'd be slow, but possibly a bit technical with projectiles and traps. The only way he'd be high tier is if he had some kind of broken mechanic like an infinite, but that would just get patched.
K. Rool can't beat Sheik or Diddy at their own game at the very top of the tier list, but at the very least, he can start from the mid-tier base of Bowser by not being completely slow and incompetent, then gain a few new traps and tools on top of that to at least be usable at a higher level. Think Snake, but goofier and with a larger frame.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Think Snake, but goofier and with a larger frame.
If I don't get King K. Rool being able to stretch his leg over and behind his head for a Meteor Smash, I am going to be extremely disappointed
Look what you did, BKupa

StormC

Smash Hero
Brawl had more camping than 4 so Snake excelled there, but the general niche is definitely still viable.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I've been in a piratey mood again so I made this on the youtube miiverse page. I was tempted to make K. Rool eye Capt. Hook (you all probably know the reference) but decided eh, maybe next time.
Pirates.png

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seriously? I thought they were nuts, like the kind Necky shoots.
Y'know? I thought that too until I heard they were eggs, and then I finally noticed they're orange with what, purple spots?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I beat Earthbound yesterday. So I'm going through Donkey Kong Country now.

It's lots of fun.

But I fear it's kind of short.

I'm already at World 3 after 45 minutes of playing.

Also, are there secrets in this game?

I know there are bonus rooms, but are there bonus worlds like later DKC games?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I beat Earthbound yesterday. So I'm going through Donkey Kong Country now.

It's lots of fun.

But I fear it's kind of short.

I'm already at World 3 after 45 minutes of playing.

Also, are there secrets in this game?

I know there are bonus rooms, but are there bonus worlds like later DKC games?
In DKC, no, there aren't bonus worlds. DKC is a great game, but DKC2 and DKC3 are definitely a lot better in the number of things to do and secrets to unlock. The thing that made DKC hard in the past was always the fact that you had to reach a specific point to save. Gorilla Glacier is by far THE WORST world for this reason. Four extremely brutal levels before you reach any method of saving.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei you've never played DKC? I'm surprised as you're one of the more vocal K. Rool supporters.
I played DKC on the GBC.

When I was little.

I never finished it.

But I played DK64 and beat that as a kid, so I personally know him that way.

And sometimes, your passion can be lit by other's passion.

While I want K.Rool a good deal myself, it's compounded by how happy it would make everyone.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I grew up calling them walnuts for what it's worth.
They're actually eggs to my surprise

If you look at the closely, they're egg-shaped and actually have small red dots on them

I've been living a lie this entire time

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
To show my vote for K. Rool (and wolf) I did this awhile back.

and bonus (this got deleted though :( yet the other people who post this stuff did not)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I played DKC on the GBC.

When I was little.

I never finished it.

But I played DK64 and beat that as a kid, so I personally know him that way.

And sometimes, your passion can be lit by other's passion.

While I want K.Rool a good deal myself, it's compounded by how happy it would make everyone.
Technically
"DKC on the GBC" is Donkey Kong LAND
Which, for the 1st game, was basically an entirely different game with the same world order and I THINK bosses.
...If my memory isn't garbage

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For anyone that follows my posts on here (meaning, I'm selfish and can not keep up with this website anymore), what is happening with my number one Krokoguy?

In before K Rools "kwirk" in this game is L-kancelling.
How amazing would that be? All tournaments, all Kremlings, all the time.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Technically
"DKC on the GBC" is Donkey Kong LAND
Which, for the 1st game, was basically an entirely different game with the same world order and I THINK bosses.
...If my memory isn't garbage
No, there was a full DKC port on Game Boy Color, that's the one I played growing up,, beat it a few times too. DKL was Gameboy

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When I am in public spotlight, if K Rool is not added, I will advocate for him as a post Modern gender Social **** celebrity winner of Rupauls Drag Race.

Maybe that is a good idea. Get celebrity endorsement. From real gaming celebrities. I feel like their opinions matter more- obviously, how characters get in, can be very minor. I bet if Robin Williams is INDEED a real and useful Zelda character, he gets in.
Okay, I dont, as he is American. But, I think possibilities for this kampaign, are...

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Just to let you know, we're all still working hard to bring you all our next K Rool video!
We've still got a few more scenes to shoot, but I'm hoping to have it up on our Youtube channel sometime before the end of this month.

For now though, enjoy this sneak peak!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey guys! Just to let you know, we're all still working hard to bring you all our next K Rool video!
We've still got a few more scenes to shoot, but I'm hoping to have it up on our Youtube channel sometime before the end of this month.

For now though, enjoy this sneak peak!
...where are your videos?

Top Bottom