• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It'd be better if they actually made games for it. Seriously, how many of Nintendo's 1st party WiiU's games 1) are not designed as a party game, and 2) do not have a 3DS port?

I think they should actually do something with the console, and show people what it can do. And that does involve more than just inviting your friends over to play Mario [fill in the blank]
This is a ridiculous argument. HD gaming is insanely difficult. Nintendo has made PLENTY of games for the console. The problem is that the console has sold so poorly there's barely any third-party support for the console, so Nintendo has to do everything themselves. Nintendo are a big company, but they can't produce nearly so much games.

Compare all the games Nintendo and its subsidiaries are producing as first-party exclusive titles to Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo is a VERY CLEAR winner here. The problem is they lack massive third-party support.

For first-party games Nintendo is sold, they have plenty of games being produced. Again, though, Nintendo simply isn't financially capable of producing everything on their own. They NEED third-party support.

StormC

Smash Hero
How? It doesn't really have much compared to the NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and Wii.
The GCN is my least favorite Nintendo console.

Your dismissiveness of the previous games makes me think your mind is pretty set, though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Modern 2D Mario is lame, WindWaker is just a remake, Hyrule Warrios is a repetitive spinoff, Nintendo land gets old REAL fast, the general consensus is that Tropical Freeze is worse than Returns, SMTXFE is for weebs, and Super Mario 3D World is literally the most linear "3D" Mario game to date. Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, StarFox Zero, Smash, Splatoon, and MK8 are good. And Zelda U will most likely have a dual release on both the Wii U and NX, like Twilight Princess.
OPINIONS~!

Now tell me one good game on the Virtual Boy.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Modern 2D Mario is lame, WindWaker is just a remake, Hyrule Warrios is a repetitive spinoff, Nintendo land gets old REAL fast, the general consensus is that Tropical Freeze is worse than Returns, SMTXFE is for weebs, and Super Mario 3D World is literally the most linear "3D" Mario game to date. Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, StarFox Zero, Smash, Splatoon, and MK8 are good. And Zelda U will most likely have a dual release on both the Wii U and NX, like Twilight Princess.
Opinions yay! Tropical Freeze being worse than Returns doesn't mean its a bad game just like how Dark Dawn is worse than the original Golden Sun but its still a good game. Hyrule Warriors is repetitive really because that's totally not what the gameplay of Mario Kart and Smash and basically any other game is.
OPINIONS~!

Now tell me one good game on the Virtual Boy.
WARIO LAND ON VIRTUAL BOY!

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Opinions yay! Tropical Freeze being worse than Returns doesn't mean its a bad game just like how Dark Dawn is worse than the original Golden Sun but its still a good game. Hyrule Warriors is repetitive really because that's totally not what the gameplay of Mario Kart and Smash and basically any other game is.

WARIO LAND ON VIRTUAL BOY!
I saw 30 minutes of that game back when NinBuzz tried to be this superchannel.

Burruni

Smash Hero
DUDE YOU REMEMBER THAT TOO! I liked their Kirby's Epic Yarn lp with Nintendolp, then he shut his channel down, but he made a new one called AudaciouslyAwkward
I'll enjoy the one NakaTeleeli & his GF are doing.
Dude got me into Persona (and by extention SMT), Bunny Must Die, and Jo-Jo. Probably my favorite LPer.

Back to Donkey Kong & K. Rool, though.

Retro didn't say WHAT their game, that was supposed to be revealed at E3, is right?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Where the hell has ANYONE stated that TF was worse than Returns? I haven't seen a single statement like that at all. It SOLD worse than Returns, but not because fans thought it was worse but because it was on a far worse selling console.

How? It doesn't really have much compared to the NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and Wii.
The problem is all of those consoles had third-party support. Comparatively, with the Wii U not only being Nintendo's first HD console but almost entirely supported by Nintendo, there's actually quite a decent number of games on it.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is a ridiculous argument. HD gaming is insanely difficult. Nintendo has made PLENTY of games for the console. The problem is that the console has sold so poorly there's barely any third-party support for the console, so Nintendo has to do everything themselves. Nintendo are a big company, but they can't produce nearly so much games.

Compare all the games Nintendo and its subsidiaries are producing as first-party exclusive titles to Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo is a VERY CLEAR winner here. The problem is they lack massive third-party support.

For first-party games Nintendo is sold, they have plenty of games being produced. Again, though, Nintendo simply isn't financially capable of producing everything on their own. They NEED third-party support.
But my argument brings up the major reason there is little third-party support. It's a self-replicating cycle, wherein third-party developers don't make games since the console is not doing well since people don't have faith in it since Nintendo isn't showing it off well.

For any game that they make with a 3DS version (eg. Smash Bros), people have the option of getting the game for either console. Here, many people have a 3DS, but not a WiiU, so there is little impetus to get the WiiU. Couple that to the fact that the game is designed to be maximizing the power of the handheld, which is by nature less powerful than the full console, people end up underwhelmed by the console since it's working on a handicap.

Also, every game company is pushing multiplayer, which has seen a bit of resistance. Nintendo, however, is lagging behind in the online multiplayer, preferring local. This is a problem, though, which hasn't been seen in XBox or PS since online came out - you need a bunch of people over to play local. Great for kids with siblings or parties, but that isn't as common now. Couple this to the fact that Nintendo markets to kids, but its greatest audience is 25-35 young adults who have nostalgia going with it, and who don't have the ability to gather a group of friends together for local multiplayer often if at all.

If Nintendo were to push out some in-depth games like Zelda (which is a platform seller), a new Pokémon Snap (which people have been begging for), possibly a DK/Metroid/etc. platformer, or something of this like - all while making it so the graphics, gameplay, and controls are pushing the console to really show it off, then people will buy the console. And when more people buy, third-parties are more comfortable making games. And more people buy. And so it continues. The new Star Fox is a step in the right direction.

I really think Nintendo needs to make another game with realistic HD graphics, and really show off the WiiU.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But my argument brings up the major reason there is little third-party support. It's a self-replicating cycle, wherein third-party developers don't make games since the console is not doing well since people don't have faith in it since Nintendo isn't showing it off well.

For any game that they make with a 3DS version (eg. Smash Bros), people have the option of getting the game for either console. Here, many people have a 3DS, but not a WiiU, so there is little impetus to get the WiiU. Couple that to the fact that the game is designed to be maximizing the power of the handheld, which is by nature less powerful than the full console, people end up underwhelmed by the console since it's working on a handicap.

Also, every game company is pushing multiplayer, which has seen a bit of resistance. Nintendo, however, is lagging behind in the online multiplayer, preferring local. This is a problem, though, which hasn't been seen in XBox or PS since online came out - you need a bunch of people over to play local. Great for kids with siblings or parties, but that isn't as common now. Couple this to the fact that Nintendo markets to kids, but its greatest audience is 25-35 young adults who have nostalgia going with it, and who don't have the ability to gather a group of friends together for local multiplayer often if at all.

If Nintendo were to push out some in-depth games like Zelda (which is a platform seller), a new Pokémon Snap (which people have been begging for), possibly a DK/Metroid/etc. platformer, or something of this like - all while making it so the graphics, gameplay, and controls are pushing the console to really show it off, then people will buy the console. And when more people buy, third-parties are more comfortable making games. And more people buy. And so it continues. The new Star Fox is a step in the right direction.

I really think Nintendo needs to make another game with realistic HD graphics, and really show off the WiiU.
Nintendo's biggest problem is the Wii U is simply too underpowered. One major problem with third-party support is they can't simply easily port a game from X-Box One, PS4, and PC to Wii U. This is a huge, huge problem factor for Nintendo. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to resolve this. Nintendo got into the market early. If they once again get into the next console cycle too early, there will be problems.

Nintendo has done their own thing with the Wii. With the Wii they did something new, and it wasn't bad. However, the problem is that because they went with a new concept, they didn't have enough capabilities to make it an HD console like 360/PS3, so although they caught an unseen market, it was a market of followers who weren't loyal at all to Nintendo and not only barely bought any games, they didn't bother with the next console.

Nintendo would have to make a new console that is powerfully equivalent to not only PS4/X-Bone, but also the NEXT Playstation and X-Box consoles. PS4 and Xbone are already graphically underpowered, so Nintendo might be able to get away with using the latest high-end PC technology. Of course, though, that's going to be a massive price tag.

If the NX is truly something new, then maybe it really won't be the Wii U/3DS successor, and they'll stick with Wii U/3DS until the current generation ends and just push as many games as they can for Wii U/3DS. That may be the best course of action right now instead of forcing themselves to produce a replacement long before the other consoles life cycles end. They need their new console to be COMPETITIVE.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh i just found out so ething about the ballot

After the deadline theres a phase 2

And thats that we vote for are favorite votes (most specficly the votes with the best reasonings.)

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
I have a question... When it came to Retro "doing their own thing" in the DKC games they developed, why was it only the villains that gave Retro "their own identity"? No new animal buddies, no new helpers (unless you count that background prop of a checkpoint), no new protagonists, ust the villain groups got changed both times... And thus far haven't really stuck with the series at all. Would you say that the villain groups that Retro developed distanced them from Rare or something else in their games made them their own entity?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I have a question... When it came to Retro "doing their own thing" in the DKC games they developed, why was it only the villains that gave Retro "their own identity"? No new animal buddies, no new helpers (unless you count that background prop of a checkpoint), no new protagonists, ust the villain groups got changed both times... And thus far haven't really stuck with the series at all. Would you say that the villain groups that Retro developed distanced them from Rare or something else in their games made them their own entity?
They initially went without the Kremlings due to wanting to make their own stake on DK without solely riding on the coattails of Rareware's take on the series.
It's V-E-R-Y likely that when DKCR3 happens, King K. Rool will return.

That said, did anyone else expect a DK reveal after the 5 seconds of Muppet Iwata holding that bunch of Bananas?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
They initially went without the Kremlings due to wanting to make their own stake on DK without solely riding on the coattails of Rareware's take on the series.

That said, did anyone else expect a DK reveal after the 5 seconds of Muppet Iwata holding that bunch of Bananas?
Like everyone. I still don't understand why he was holding the bananas.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Yes. ALL the Kutthroats chat members did.

The bananas thing and the Diddy Kong trademark are just such random things. Plus DKC teased in the NWC announcement trailer, with NOTHING at the NWC at all related to DKC.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Well another bit of evidence for a NEW dk game is that towards the end of the treehouse event they didn't talk about the new DK amiibo, saying they were waiting til THURSDAY specifically to release information about it. So we're DEFINATELY geting something DK soon =DD I'm so excited. If It's a DK racing game would you guys be upset or happy? I'm not sure myself atm.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well another bit of evidence for a NEW dk game is that towards the end of the treehouse event they didn't talk about the new DK amiibo, saying they were waiting til THURSDAY specifically to release information about it. So we're DEFINATELY geting something DK soon =DD I'm so excited. If It's a DK racing game would you guys be upset or happy? I'm not sure myself atm.
Is the villain WizPig, K. Rool, or another retro flavor of the month?
That's all I care about because I'm not buying it. Racing games reaaaally are one of like 4 genres I don't really get into.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Hey, remember that time where we talked about K. Rool in the K. Rool thread? I know. K.razy right? I know a lot of you are bummed that there was nothing DK-related today, but let's try to reign this beast in before senpai notices.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Should be interesting, if Nintendo is listening to us fans and the ballot I wish they would throw us a bone, whether a hint, or start throwing him into applicable spinoffs(I mean, the characters for M&S are easy, they only need 1 HD model for them all), I mean would fit perfectly into the Olympics, or Mario Kart, or Mario Tennis. He loves competing and taking on various guises, and he would be an interesting and worthwhile addition for interactions alone. Heck, imagine K.Rool trying to recruit Vector at the Olympics (or thinking he already is one of his kremlings)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's... odd. Can you confirm this?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't know how to tell you this, but....

Yeah, that was a nice nod to Star Fox in F-Zero. Star Fox also referenced F-Zero in one of the many endings of Star Fox Command.

Now if only we can pull that series out of the grave and revive it like Star Fox.
Hey, remember that time where we talked about K. Rool in the K. Rool thread? I know. K.razy right? I know a lot of you are bummed that there was nothing DK-related today, but let's try to reign this beast in before senpai notices.
Well to be fair, were probably not going to hear anything about the ballot until it closes or at best in the July/August direct were Wolf will presumably be revealed. Even then, it would probably be a matter of "this character has a lot of support so keep supporting him/her".

As for the ballot itself, I can see K. Rool with the most votes followed by Isaac at No.2, Bandanna Dee at No.3, Snake at No.4, and Dixie at No.5. Quantity isn't the be all end all factor of course but I can imagine it would play a role of getting some of these characters in the game.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Should be interesting, if Nintendo is listening to us fans and the ballot I wish they would throw us a bone, whether a hint, or start throwing him into applicable spinoffs(I mean, the characters for M&S are easy, they only need 1 HD model for them all), I mean would fit perfectly into the Olympics, or Mario Kart, or Mario Tennis. He loves competing and taking on various guises, and he would be an interesting and worthwhile addition for interactions alone. Heck, imagine K.Rool trying to recruit Vector at the Olympics (or thinking he already is one of his kremlings)
Sadly there's no cutscenes in that game really so we can't see that happen. It'd be hilarious though.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
A little off topic but I thought I'd post this here after playing as a Dr. Evil Mii from Austin Powers on the miiverse stage in reference to all the trolling and lude comments you see in the background when you fight on it.
dr. evil miivers.png

On a related note, that Iwata Muppet could'nt have been holding those bananas for nothing, surely they wouldn't wait 2 or 3 months from now to announce something DK related, let's hope for something by the end of this week. Go K. Rool!

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/v/6240441 found it. GO to 05:38:44 They use bowser in the game but PURPOSELY don't show donkey kong off TODAY. Could mean something solid.
Hate to say it, but simply sounds like pacing to me

Say, we got a look at the Bowser Skylanders concept art, so we know some of the thought process behind it, do any of you our skilled artists want to try and copy that process for our King K.Rool, making a Skylanders styled version of him? and a vehicle of course!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Hate to say it, but simply sounds like pacing to me

Say, we got a look at the Bowser Skylanders concept art, so we know some of the thought process behind it, do any of you our skilled artists want to try and copy that process for our King K.Rool, making a Skylanders styled version of him? and a vehicle of course!
Sure, I'll give it a go, I actually might buy Skylander now after seeing that anyway. Bowser, DK, and Diddy look fun to play as.

Top Bottom