• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if they would do a teaser for a ballot character. What I imagine is the biggest reason they teased Mewtwo instead of waiting for him to be completed for a proper trailer was to encourage people to buy the Wii U version of Smash (and the Wii U by proxy) in time for Black Friday.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Its not a bad thing m8 just wondering.

Dude, what about Splatoon. TF2 is also fun since it actually requires teamwork.
I actually forgot about Splatoon ha ha after playing the demo the past weekend it's cool I'll probably buy it. I never liked TF2 I mean it's alright. I played alot of Unreal Tournament back in the day so I got tired of arena shooters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hope it sells well.
then again......*looks at Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta
Why are you comparing it to Hyrule Warriors? Hyrule Warriors sold EXTREMELY well when you consider its a Warriors game. Bayonetta 2, yeah, that's not sold well.

But also, as I've heard, Splatoon is poised to sell 200k from preorders alone. I think its going to be fine. Within the first week its probably going to top 500k. Frankly after playing it, I'm actually kinda interested in buying it myself. I handn't planned to buy it, but now I kinda want to.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My brother and I were laughing as he played DK64 the other day.

K. Rool needs the evil-ruler voice if he gets in SSB4. :laugh:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Great to see "K. Roll" make it onto WatchMojo's list, even if said list is inundated with random third parties. That channel has 8 million subscribers, more than the number of sales that the vast majority of DK games even make. Not to say every last one of them cares about gaming or Smash, since WatchMojo is a general pop. culture channel, but the exposure is certainly nice.

With both K. Rool and Bowser, neither needs to be the main villain with every single game in their franchise. But when the former has been missing-in-action for the better part of a decade and the fans have wanted him back every step of the way, there's no reason to not bring him back for at least one new game.

Bowser, on the other hand, has become stale as hell. I hadn't read that quote about "Players expect him to kidnap Peach" until now, but not only is that a double-standard with Miyamoto's character always "needing to come back," it's a double-standard in that, if it were any other franchise, he would be cast aside in the blink of an eye because "that's what players expect and that's not fresh enough for today's audiences."

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
Why are you comparing it to Hyrule Warriors? Hyrule Warriors sold EXTREMELY well when you consider its a Warriors game. Bayonetta 2, yeah, that's not sold well .
I was mainly referring to its first week. But you're right. It did sell very well afterwards
Perhaps The Wonderfull 101 would be a better example.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Not important, but interesting:

For giggles, I threw together a Nintendo Vs. Capcom roster tonight in, like, ten minutes. The bottom row is DLC. Guess who...!

Had to make due for character icons on the last two.
scrooge is disney tho.. otherwise i approve. capcom side has way better and more varied representation than in mvc3 here IMO.(seriously, what is up with lack of megaman!?)

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Great to see "K. Roll" make it onto WatchMojo's list, even if said list is inundated with random third parties. That channel has 8 million subscribers, more than the number of sales that the vast majority of DK games even make. Not to say every last one of them cares about gaming or Smash, since WatchMojo is a general pop. culture channel, but the exposure is certainly nice.

With both K. Rool and Bowser, neither needs to be the main villain with every single game in their franchise. But when the former has been missing-in-action for the better part of a decade and the fans have wanted him back every step of the way, there's no reason to not bring him back for at least one new game.

Bowser, on the other hand, has become stale as hell. I hadn't read that quote about "Players expect him to kidnap Peach" until now, but not only is that a double-standard with Miyamoto's character always "needing to come back," it's a double-standard in that, if it were any other franchise, he would be cast aside in the blink of an eye because "that's what players expect and that's not fresh enough for today's audiences."
To be fair, Bowser's last main Mario game(Super Mario 3-D World) was him kidnapping a bunch of fairies this time instead of Peach(who was obviously playable in that) but yeah, with that said, they could give him a break as much as I love the big bruiser. They should give Wario another shot at being the main villain again despite him being an anti-hero in his own games.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd much rather have a Mario/Wario game a la Mega Man And Bass or Sonic Adventure 2.

I'd probably prefer a new villain, but hopefully that means Bowser gets to be playable.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'd much rather have a Mario/Wario game a la Mega Man And Bass or Sonic Adventure 2.

I'd probably prefer a new villain, but hopefully that means Bowser gets to be playable.
Well, he was playable in Bowser's Inside Story and was fun as heck so it's a start. Ganondorf and K. Rool should get their own games too or be playable in a main part of their protagonists story game somehow. It'd be cool if you got to play as K. Rool in a chapter of a DK game and go beat up on the other 2 villain tribes(Tiki Takans and Snomads.) in order to find and make K. Rool's new weapon to destroy DK and his island.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd want K. Rool as a postgame playable character a la Rosalina in 3D World or Meta Knightmare. Bowser could be the same.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, he was playable in Bowser's Inside Story and was fun as heck so it's a start. Ganondorf and K. Rool should get their own games too or be playable in a main part of their protagonists story game somehow. It'd be cool if you got to play as K. Rool in a chapter of a DK game and go beat up on the other 2 villain tribes(Tiki Takans and Snomads.) in order to find and make K. Rool's new weapon to destroy DK and his island.
Yeah, at this point, it's as though RPG Bowser is a separate character entirely, what with how many leaps and bounds he is ahead of "main series" Bowser personality-wise. RPG Bowser discluding Sticker Star, where he goes out of his way to behave like "main series" Bowser, that is.

Here's a nice piece of art from DeviantArt's TomZoner.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'd want K. Rool as a postgame playable character a la Rosalina in 3D World or Meta Knightmare. Bowser could be the same.
The day K. Rool helps the Kongs save the day is the day we get a new Earthbound game. Bowser's an exception of course being how he's done so already but I think that's also part of why he's become more of a joke villain latley.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

If they made a new 2.5D Mario Bros. Side Scroller with a new enemy, I wouldn't mind Bowser being the secret unlock Character. Do Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Bowser.

*EDIT* I didn't see your comment about doing this with Bowser and K. Rool(.) K. Rool would be pretty cool for that role too. Maybe keep him in character by having him do it for his own selfish reasons. (And replace the bananas with mini crowns or something.)

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I do think it's time Bowser got a new spotlight cast on him. Make him the star of the show for a while.
Um, guys? What kind of WatchMojo top ten list are you talking about?
WatchMojo.com gave their top 10 DLC wants for Smash Bros and they included a number of familiar faces, one of which happens to be our very King K. Roll! :p

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
The day K. Rool helps the Kongs save the day is the day we get a new Earthbound game. Bowser's an exception of course being how he's done so already but I think that's also part of why he's become more of a joke villain latley.
It's mainly the RPG series portrayal of Bowser that makes him seem like a joke for a villain. Lately they've been on damage control and starting to build him up as a genuine threat again (ie: how he handled Antasma) It's funny, in the Paper Mario series Bowser's gone from a major threat in the first game to being Peach's (rhymes with witch) in Super Paper Mario, and went in the opposite direction in the Mario and Luigi games where he started out as a butt monkey in Superstar Saga to showing you why he's the series villain in the first place in Dream Team.

Interestingly enough Eggman has been going through damage control as well. The last time he had the formulaic plan of summoning some third party to do his dirty work, he expected a betrayal and still managed to take his place as the final boss.

I don't want K. Rool to have to go through damage control. So you might have to put me in the "no team up camp". Not often do you see a villain who is both fun/silly/quirky, and yet absolutely despicable at the same time.

One thing that I liked about the PAON games is seeing K. Rool interact with Donkey. We see that his relationship with the Kong isn't the "worthy adversary" type. K. Rool thinks Donkey is a dumb ape and doesn't have an iota of respect for him.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm definitely not advocating for a team up with the Kongs. I want K. Rool in a separate (non-canon?) playthrough where he stomps around and tears up.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
It's mainly the RPG series portrayal of Bowser that makes him seem like a joke for a villain. Lately they've been on damage control and starting to build him up as a genuine threat again (ie: how he handled Antasma) It's funny, in the Paper Mario series Bowser's gone from a major threat in the first game to being Peach's (rhymes with witch) in Super Paper Mario, and went in the opposite direction in the Mario and Luigi games where he started out as a butt monkey in Superstar Saga to showing you why he's the series villain in the first place in Dream Team.

Interestingly enough Eggman has been going through damage control as well. The last time he had the formulaic plan of summoning some third party to do his dirty work, he expected a betrayal and still managed to take his place as the final boss.

I don't want K. Rool to have to go through damage control. So you might have to put me in the "no team up camp". Not often do you see a villain who is both fun/silly/quirky, and yet absolutely despicable at the same time.

One thing that I liked about the PAON games is seeing K. Rool interact with Donkey. We see that his relationship with the Kong isn't the "worthy adversary" type. K. Rool thinks Donkey is a dumb ape and doesn't have an iota of respect for him.
It's great that paon could nail his relationship with DK, no respect for DK other just unjustified hate and no respect.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I wouldn't mind seeing playable K. Rool team up with the Kongs. It's really not that out of character if he was doing it for selfish purpose. I mean to defeat a threat that's bigger than both of them, heck K. Rool could use a team up as an advantage to have the Kongs let their guard down and back stab them afterward. It can be done.

K. Rool is krafty he's proven through out his game appearances to be quite slick. I think he could pull off being an "ally" to the Kongs long enough to exploit them somehow. I mean at this point he's tried everything from starving them to attempting to straight up obliterate them by blowing up the entire island. Why not pretend to be an ally just long enough to destroy them.

Which reminds me of K. Rools trophy entry in Sm4sh...do you think Sakurai knows something we don't with K. Rool? Seems awfully random to say "he could have been one of Donkey Kongs most trusted animal buddies...think he'll ever have a change of heart? Probably not." Or something to that affect.....I mean it's just so random. There's never been any indication in any DK game that K. Rool could have been DKs friend......K. Rools inside story konfirmed?!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Random late night question: does anyone else feel their appreciation for K. Rool grew as they continued to support his return?

For me, as a big fan of the Donkey Kong series, K. Rool felt a bit like one of the more incidental elements of it. You could definitely say I took him for granted, so when he vanished after 2008, and then when I started to kampaign for him in Smash 4 (and later Smash DLC), I would continue to revisit K. Rool for discussion purposes, and found myself really appreciating what he had to offer, becoming one of my favorite video game characters in general. He's also become a bit of a symbol for me of a character refusing to keel over due to huge fan demand, so that's cool too.

I've become so invested now in his return and inclusion in Smash (too much for my own health probably) compared to before, that I think I've reached a critical mass where not having him as DLC would be the most disappointing thing to happen for me in any Smash game.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Oh contraire, K. Rool has teamed up with the Kongs on occasion. Remember the super canon appearance in...
Mario Super Sluggers!

He joins DK's team to take down Bowser.
For some reason, he has bad chemistry with Bowser in normal play.

But they've teamed up before. :lol:

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Oh contraire, K. Rool has teamed up with the Kongs on occasion. Remember the super canon appearance in...
Mario Super Sluggers!

Shh! no one's supposed to know that.

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
Mario Super Sluggers!

Rool will team up with anyone in Sluggers... So we'll just say he's teaming up with Mario. Also notice how K. Rool is the player with the most enemies in the game, he has bad chemistry with all the Kongs and Bowser. (The latter because of competition in the world domination market)

Things like that make me wonder if Peach has to play nice with K. Rool politically like how some world powers have to play nice with leaders who are obviously evil simply because their both enemies of another. That'd be worth exploring in an RPG...

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Rool will team up with anyone in Sluggers... So we'll just say he's teaming up with Mario. Also notice how K. Rool is the player with the most enemies in the game, he has bad chemistry with all the Kongs and Bowser. (The latter because of competition in the world domination market)

Things like that make me wonder if Peach has to play nice with K. Rool politically like how some world powers have to play nice with leaders who are obviously evil simply because their both enemies of another. That'd be worth exploring in an RPG...
E3 2015:
Miyamoto - We have been developing a brand new Mario game, I hope you enjoy.

Top Bottom