• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly; I'll be surprised if any of those events other than E3 produce a character reveal. I imagine E3 will give more detail on Lucas, and announce up to 2 new characters, one being Ryu because 3rd party. The other is probably Roy as he's another veteran, and I imagine those taking the spot pre-ballot. Wolf is the only other character I think likely to be announced this early though I would be happy to be proven wrong. EVO and CEO is probably nothing; I remember everyone last year thinking the same would happen and it never did.

As for the Fire Emblem concert, I have no idea how that got the steam it did other than it seeming to fit conveniently with the Roy leak. Other than that it is just Sakurai going to a concert. If he went out to McDonalds, I honestly wonder how many people would start screaming "Ronald McDonald confirmed!".
I did say they were events where reveals were possible, not events that will have such reveals. That said, E3 probably will do the reveals of those characters of all. I was just listing those events based on what I have read from other people, but hey, anything is possible.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Not important, but interesting:

For giggles, I threw together a Nintendo Vs. Capcom roster tonight in, like, ten minutes. The bottom row is DLC. Guess who...!

Had to make due for character icons on the last two.
I would say throw out dlc, and any smash preconceptions. If said game happens it will not be defined by smash, and expect more niche characters, not nessecarily popular ones. Also throw out Pokemon due to how protective pokemon company is. I would also say throw in Roll. Also, its kinda sad, but the character who should be mandatory for vs games would have to be Demitri for... obvious reasons. Oh, and with certian excpetions I would say o characters that haven't had a game on a nintendo console so throw out Dante as well.. oh, and Hunter from Monster Hunter, they aren't allowed by the parent group either. also no wonder red, shame on you :p

But ya if I Nintendo Vs Capcom game did happen I would say throw out any roster preconceptions based on smash, because it isn't smash, which means more characters that wouldn't have a chance otherwise would probably get in.

As for E3 predictions, I think that we will likely get the first ballot pick announced, because they will probably play it smart, and pull a few so they can start development for those with overwhelming support right away. I think Ryu and Roy may both be announced as a two pack, because I believe development is going to accelerate as they go on as the streamline the process

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As for E3 predictions, I think that we will likely get the first ballot pick announced, because they will probably play it smart, and pull a few so they can start development for those with overwhelming support right away. I think Ryu and Roy may both be announced as a two pack, because I believe development is going to accelerate as they go on as the streamline the process
So, do you think K. Rool would most likely be that ballot character that gets revealed at E3?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's E3, in terms of Smash.

Exact date for Lucas DLC.
Teaser trailer for Wolf or Roy (like :4lucas:'s following :4mewtwo:'s). MAYBE Both.
Ryu confirmed in a major reveal undermined by the datamining.

Possible announcement over Tournament Mode and Stage DLC.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So, do you think K. Rool would most likely be that ballot character that gets revealed at E3?
As likely as really honestly, no-one is a shoe-in, and while I trust Nintendo to be in good spirit, they'll do whatever benefits the overall picture the best. I would imagine a western pick and an eastern pick would be a high possibility, and a male and a female. Now we have no idea how many they are choosing, and its possible that they may choose to just accelerate the plans for a character they already had planned that has a high ballot support. My personal guess would be K.Rool as an eastern Male pick, and Krystal as an eastern female pick due to high support, but like I said you never know. Now I'm not saying there's only going to be two, but as I figure it there will be at least 2

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As likely as really honestly, no-one is a shoe-in, and while I trust Nintendo to be in good spirit, they'll do whatever benefits the overall picture the best. I would imagine a western pick and an eastern pick would be a high possibility, and a male and a female. Now we have no idea how many they are choosing, and its possible that they may choose to just accelerate the plans for a character they already had planned that has a high ballot support. My personal guess would be K.Rool as an eastern Male pick, and Krystal as an eastern female pick due to high support, but like I said you never know. Now I'm not saying there's only going to be two, but as I figure it there will be at least 2
I see what you mean. Still, the ballot has only been active within less than two months. I'd say it is still too early to reveal a ballot character. I doubt they have even begun making a trailer for any ballot character, so I don't see one get revealed at E3.

...Unless, they show it like how they first showed Mewtwo in that Smash Bros Direct near the end of last year...

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
i think Ryu might be revealed at CEO. It makes sense. Street fighter 5 will be playable so... yea its self explained already. especially for a event like this. But dam I would love if k rool was just announce and everyone is surprised and drowning in ever lasting hypness xD and i know he might come back but they could show roy. ( roy sucks )

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I see what you mean. Still, the ballot has only been active within less than two months. I'd say it is still too early to reveal a ballot character. I doubt they have even begun making a trailer for any ballot character, so I don't see one get revealed at E3.

...Unless, they show it like how they first showed Mewtwo in that Smash Bros Direct near the end of last year...
That's more or less what I meant, a ballot pick(s) would be in initial stages, and shown in rough playable in say an August direct for October release, with another choice(s) being show every 2 months possibly alongside initial choice dlc. They wouldn't be running it so long unless they planned multiple picks along the entire run of it, and Sakurai wants to do as many characters as he can so Ballot justification makes it easier too.

Also, I would think Ryu might be playable at CEO, but there is no way he's not being shown at E3 a mere week or two before where the attention to Nintendo will be massive(same reason I think Devil's third marketing kickoff will be there building up to release later this year, same goes for Fatal Frame U)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's more or less what I meant, a ballot pick(s) would be in initial stages, and shown in rough playable in say an August direct for October release, with another choice(s) being show every 2 months possibly alongside initial choice dlc. They wouldn't be running it so long unless they planned multiple picks along the entire run of it, and Sakurai wants to do as many characters as he can so Ballot justification makes it easier too.

Also, I would think Ryu might be playable at CEO, but there is no way he's not being shown at E3 a mere week or two before where the attention to Nintendo will be massive(same reason I think Devil's third marketing kickoff will be there building up to release later this year, same goes for Fatal Frame U)
So, you're saying they would announce a character in its initial stage around E3, like how they first announced Mewtwo, and show off how the character plays in a later date like in August or so?

Burruni

Smash Hero
As far as we know, DLC characters are going to come around bi-monthly.

If this is the case, don't expect a Ballot character until 2016 so showing "how they play" in AUGUST is presumptuous

April :4mewtwo:

June :4lucas:

August - Ryu

October - Roy

December - Wolf

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
As far as we know, DLC characters are going to come around bi-monthly.

If this is the case, don't expect a Ballot character until 2016 so showing "how they play" in AUGUST is presumptuous

April :4mewtwo:

June :4lucas:

August - Ryu

October - Roy

December - Wolf
Like I said, I think they might start accelerating the rate of release by packing a Vet with a newcomer, with how few vets are left, and as they streamline the non-production character development process, but wait and see I guess

Burruni

Smash Hero
Like I said, I think they might start accelerating the rate of release by packing a Vet with a newcomer, with how few vets are left, and as they streamline the non-production character development process, but wait and see I guess
I just don't see it happening not off the grounds that they want to or not, but about the development time to develop characters in general.

That may be the cynic in me but considering it was early november when we saw :4mewtwo:'s model fully done and in early April we got a fighter who still didn't have custom specials finished. Around a 6 month gap in that time for what has been done to complete Mewtwo and preliminary work on other DLC characters, namely :4lucas:.

We'll see what happens but I'm gonna keep myself on the side of caution.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys what do you think of the idea of an aztec warrior King K Rool?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I highly doubt they'll accelerate. They'll probably keep it at 2 per month so they can have a steady stream of characters. This would also require them to start at least one ballot character early, since even if they had 6 pre-ballot characters, it wouldn't cover the six month gap once the ballot is out.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So I've been digging through old developer interviews to see if I could piece together some clues, when I stumbled upon this gem:

Skip to 5:55

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...untry-returns-e3-2010--reviving-dkc-interview
What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? And we thought about it and said... well, does he really need to? Um, why don't we just come up with something completely new? And, this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.
Meanwhile, over at EAD Group No. 4...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ju...eping-with-marios-2d-traditions/1100-6383009/
The things we feel like we've already promised the gamer is that Peach will be kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario will move from left to right. We know that's what people are expecting! [Laughs] We know that there are all types of Mario games, as you said. So for us, with the New Super Mario Bros. series, we don't really need to mess with it. This is what people want.
It bothers me how hypocritical the stalwarts over at NCL are. I guess K. Rool doesn't need to come back just because he wasn't created by Japanese people. Seriously, they shoehorn Bowser into literally everything yet they won't even acknowledge K. Rool's existence. That was the last time he'd ever been mentioned by a Nintendo employee. Granted, this interview is almost five years old and may not represent their current position, but it's still upsetting to hear them talk about K. Rool like he's some disposable tertiary character. The moral of the story is... don't be complacent. Keep voting, albeit frugally and on different devices. Keep asking your friends and family to support the king. And keep proving to Nintendo that, contrary to their belief, he DOES need to come back.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think we'll see a double reveal at E3, and a double release later on in August. Releasing them early would net them more profits.

I'm pretty sure they'll start working on the the Ballot character(s) in August-ish, as it's unlikely that the trends set by then would change a whole lot by October.

So I've been digging through old developer interviews to see if I could piece together some clues, when I stumbled upon this gem:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...untry-returns-e3-2010--reviving-dkc-interview

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ju...eping-with-marios-2d-traditions/1100-6383009/

It bothers me how hypocritical the stalwarts over at NCL are. I guess K. Rool doesn't need to come back just because he wasn't created by Japanese people. Seriously, they shoehorn Bowser into literally everything yet they won't even acknowledge K. Rool's existence. That was the last time he'd ever been mentioned by a Nintendo employee. Granted, this interview is almost five years old and may not represent their current position, but it's still upsetting to hear them talk about K. Rool like he's some disposable tertiary character. The moral of the story is... don't be complacent. Keep voting, albeit frugally and on different devices. Keep asking your friends and family to support the king. And keep proving to Nintendo that, contrary to their belief, he DOES need to come back.
Those were dark times. Their stance has likely changed by now though. Demand for K. Rool didn't increase until after his absence, so they didn't have a way of knowing that K. Rool was that popular.

As for Bowser, he's made by Miyamoto himself, so he's bound to get some bias, though I'm not sure where the shoehorning bit is coming from.

:231:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Those were dark times. Their stance has likely changed by now though. Demand for K. Rool didn't increase until after his absence, so they didn't have a way of knowing that K. Rool was that popular.

As for Bowser, he's made by Miyamoto himself, so he's bound to get some bias, though I'm not sure where the shoehorning bit is coming from.

Bowser didn't need to be in Super Mario Galaxy when they could have used Tatanga instead. Bowser didn't need to be in New Super Mario Bros. 2 when they could have used Wario instead. Bowser didn't need to be in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team when they could of used Wart instead. All of those characters make more sense from a thematic standpoint, yet Bowser was in them anyway. Using Tanabe's logic, did Bowser really NEED to be on those games? Of course not. Meanwhile, we literally have to harass Nintendo employees on Twitter and send in thousands of ballot votes in order for K. Rool to get recognized, and there are no guarantees of anything. I feel as if the amount support he's received is almost impossible to ignore, but stranger things have happened.

D

Deleted member

WOW! I mean that a very shallow mindset king k rool and the kreminling krew need to comeback to the DK series no excuse SMH -___-

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Bowser didn't need to be in Super Mario Galaxy when they could have used Tatanga instead. Bowser didn't need to be in New Super Mario Bros. 2 when they could have used Wario instead. Bowser didn't need to be in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team when they could of used Wart instead. All of those characters make more sense from a thematic standpoint, yet Bowser was in them anyway. Using Tanabe's logic, did Bowser really NEED to be on those games? Of course not. Meanwhile, we literally have to harass Nintendo employees on Twitter and send in thousands of ballot votes in order for K. Rool to get recognized, and there are no guarantees of anything. I feel as if the amount support he's received is almost impossible to ignore, but stranger things have happened.
I think you're looking at this upside down. I'd say Bowser did need to be in those games as he's the core villain of the Mario series, and those games are the core Mario platformers. It's not like anybody is complaining about Bowser being in every Mario game, he logically should be involved in the plot of most of the Mario games.

On the flipside, it is K. Rool who needs to be in the DKC games again. Tanabe's logic makes sense to me - it's Retro's viewpoint that needs fixing, imo.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think you're looking at this upside down. I'd say Bowser did need to be in those games as he's the core villain of the Mario series, and those games are the core Mario platformers. It's not like anybody is complaining about Bowser being in every Mario game, he logically should be involved in the plot of most of the Mario games.

On the flipside, it is K. Rool who needs to be in the DKC games again. Tanabe's logic makes sense to me - it's Retro's viewpoint that needs fixing, imo.

As I've said, Retro wanted to prove that they could make a good DKC game on their own.
They proved that in Returns.

And harder and harder, fans are kampaigning for the King to return.

Which makes it seem like Tropical Freeze was a less overall innovative interim period before a DKCR3 where the Kremlings return as major enemies.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
WOW! I mean that a very shallow mindset from nintendo king k rool and the kreminling krew need to comeback to the DK series no excuse I'm losing so much respect to nintendo now a days -___-
To be fair, I like the idea of DK fighting against a myriad of different villains. It gives the game world more depth. The problem is that the DK franchise was already in limbo for like a decade, so it's not like we've been getting a constant stream of DK games that feature K. Rool as the villain every time. I'm sure fans would be more appreciative of change if Retro added onto existing concepts instead of removing beloved characters for no reason. Like... why not feature K. Rool as an NPC alongside Tiki Tong instead of attempting to phase him out entirely? They even retconned the shape of Donkey Kong Island. Again, their position regarding the Kremlings may have changed after all of the backlash they've received, but that's irrelevant. Time can heal all wounds, but it can never erase the scar.

Does the Joker need to be in every Batman comic book? Absolutely not. I don't agree with the notion that K. Rool needs to be in every single DK game, but he's been gone far too long. I would have felt better if they said something like "we wanted to make our own villains this time" instead of asking themselves a dumb rhetorical question that they already know the answer to. I feel the same way about the extended Kong family too, but they've slowly began integrating characters like Funky and Dixie back into the series.

D

Deleted member

As I've said, Retro wanted to prove that they could make a good DKC game on their own.
They proved that in Returns.

And harder and harder, fans are kampaigning for the King to return.

Which makes it seem like Tropical Freeze was a less overall innovative interim period before a DKCR3 where the Kremlings return as major enemies.
Man if retro makes another DKC game I can just imgine the title "Donkey Kong Country The Kremling Krew Returns" simple title I know but I feel like it the title they would use.

To be fair, I like the idea of DK fighting against a myriad of different villains. It gives the game world more depth. The problem is that the DK franchise was already in limbo for like a decade, so it's not like we've been getting a constant stream of DK games that feature K. Rool as the villain every time. I'm sure fans would be more appreciative of change if Retro added onto existing concepts instead of removing beloved characters for no reason. Like... why not feature K. Rool as an NPC alongside Tiki Tong instead of attempting to phase him out entirely? They even retconned the shape of Donkey Kong Island. Again, their position regarding the Kremlings may have changed after all of the backlash they've received, but that's irrelevant. Time can heal all wounds, but it can never erase the scar.

I know I love the new villains like tiki tak tribe and the snomads too but I hate the B.S. reason behind no King K Rool is all let just hope we do everything in are power to get King K Rool and the Kremlings the recognition they deserve by putting K Rool in smash 4 for DLC

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
Not important, but interesting:

For giggles, I threw together a Nintendo Vs. Capcom roster tonight in, like, ten minutes. The bottom row is DLC. Guess who...!

Had to make due for character icons on the last two.
it needs more amingo
and Captain Commando
:p
So what everyone E3 prediction this year?
Like i said, i'm expecting more news on Mario Maker, Fire Emblem If and the SMT X FE; a new kirby or Dk game; Mario Kart DLC packs 3 and 4; Amiibos and at least 3 smash trailers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because ANYONE'S top 10 list for smash newcomers has ever been right...?
Will there is no such thing as a right top ten smash characters list I know that but mojo top ten can be a bit...questionable sometimes.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Because ANYONE'S top 10 list for smash newcomers has ever been right...?
They spelled K. Rool's name incorrectly, which is an objective flaw. Still, more exposure is never a bad thing.

D

Deleted member

Must have been a typo. Anyways, now I expect fanart of Roll (Megaman) to be wearing a King K. Rool outfit.
if you ask me there should be an alter ego of a magical girl King K Rool. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
My overall E3 predictions:

Mario Maker gets release date, new Mario game announced for Mario's 30th, probably Paper Mario maybe Galaxy 3.

Yoshis Wooly world gets a date for the West, Xenoblade Chrinicles gets a date, Devils Third gets a date.

Star Fox U gets a trailer and a Fall/Winter 2015 release time

Retro shows either Diddy Kong Racing 2 or DKC 3-D, K. Rool present hopefully

New Metroid for Wii U from Next Level announced

Nintendo apologizes for Zelda delay announces Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess coming to Eshop

GameCube games coming to Eshop

Ryu reveal coupled with Roy (if it's a trailer I think Roy will be there since he's a vet)

A ballot character announcement but very little shown maybe some sort of teaser.

Here's a bit of wishful thinking/speculation on my part.

Nintendo announces a joint project between them and Capcom to create a new Megaman game exclusive to Wii U. I also believe there will be a media only press briefing following Nintendos announcements where they will announce the purchase of the Megaman IP. Just my own personal feelings since this isn't the thread to discuss that feel free to PM me if your curios for opinions as to why I believe this so that we can keep the thread on topic.

Overall I think Nintendo will want to make up for the blow that was Zelda's delay. I think they will have some big stuff to show us. Metroid and anything DK featuring K. Rool would be hype I'm sure they're aware of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom