• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

Hello guys! First post here!

I joined to share something I'm working on for quite some time with you. Since K.Rool still isn't playable in Smash Bros, I decided to evacuate my frustration by creating a game ready 3d model of him. I started before the annoucement of more DLCs incoming and before the beginning of the ballot.

Bigger picture here: http://dreamingbaku.deviantart.com/art/King-K-Rool-Textured-3D-Render-527945819

I choose to create my own design by merging his Rareware and his Paon one. I wanted him to be scaly and muscular like in the old games but also keep the fat and more modern aspect of the most recent games. I also added some reptilian features like the big back scales,...
For the accessories, I found it fitting and fun for his braces and crown to be fake gold with the gold paint going away and revealing the simple steel under. I also wanted to paint holes in the cape but the 3D soft I used is currently in a unstable beta stage so the transparency is a little buggy ... maybe I will update it later.
I still have to pose it and may create a Kaptain variation with the blunderbuss in the future.

I hope you like it!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I joined to share something I'm working on for quite some time with you. Since K.Rool still isn't playable in Smash Bros, I decided to evacuate my frustration by creating a game ready 3d model of him. I started before the annoucement of more DLCs incoming and before the beginning of the ballot.

Bigger picture here: http://dreamingbaku.deviantart.com/art/King-K-Rool-Textured-3D-Render-527945819

I choose to create my own design by merging his Rareware and his Paon one. I wanted him to be scaly and muscular like in the old games but also keep the fat and more modern aspect of the most recent games. I also added some reptilian features like the big back scales,...
For the accessories, I found it fitting and fun for his braces and crown to be fake gold with the gold paint going away and revealing the simple steel under. I also wanted to paint holes in the cape but the 3D soft I used is currently in a unstable beta stage so the transparency is a little buggy ... maybe I will update it later.
I still have to pose it and may create a Kaptain variation with the blunderbuss in the future.

I hope you like it!
That looks really cool! I think many of us Kutthroats would love to see something that looks just like this when our King becomes DLC! And I hope you don't mind if we welcome you with our ...introduction video. Welcome aboard, fellow Kutthroat!

MajorNyberg

Smash Rookie

I hope you like it!
A really awesome model worthy of being in Smash! The cape/crownless version reminds me alot of the Grey Demon in Demon's Souls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc3nI4nrh2o

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I hope you like it!
This looks really great! I think you could take this model and drop it right into Smash 4.
The only feedback I have is that I think the crown would look better on this model if it were taller.
How long did it take?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Are you doing that every time when someone tells us here that they like King K. Rool? xD
We've been doing it for half of this thread. Someone remembered that song and realized just how well it applied here and its been a running gag ever since.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990

I hope you like it!
I do like it!

This is some incredible work you have done here! the cape's size, the tail's leingth, the details on the assecories. It's marvelous, splendid, fantastic and amazing!

Great job!

Bananija

Count of Trickery

I hope you like it!
Hum... I don't want to imply anything but...
It seems that you are an extremly talented person. This model is of AAA KKR quality.
seal of approval.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for the kind comments everybody!

This looks really great! I think you could take this model and drop it right into Smash 4.
The only feedback I have is that I think the crown would look better on this model if it were taller.
How long did it take?
I begun working on it 2 months ago. It took quite some time because I was learning to use the software and didn't work on it full-time (I barely touched at least 2 weeks for example). It would be much faster now.

For the crown, I prefer it small. The big one is too clunky and feels like its stuck on the head by old 3D magic. A smaller one seems much more natural IMO and can be used to enhance the eye asymmetry. To each its own tastes! :)

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

I hope you like it!

I love this...XD !!! Perfect mixture of his two designs. Well done!!!

Edit: Off-topic. Look who is heading to Japan. Not sure if this is very recent or what, but I just found out about it. Guess Shovel Knight isn't too far fetched if he makes it to Japan before this years end.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/04/out-now-on-playstation-xbox-one-date-japan-updates-and-lullabies/

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I hope you like it!
I absolutely love it. I have to say, it actually looks far more reptilian than either Rare or PAON's models. The idea of gold paint flaking away is interesting. Good job, man. :)

Edit: Off-topic. Look who is heading to Japan. Not sure if this is very recent or what, but I just found out about it. Guess Shovel Knight isn't too far fetched if he makes it to Japan before this years end.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/04/out-now-on-playstation-xbox-one-date-japan-updates-and-lullabies/
Still,the point stands that Japanese release ≠ Japanese popularity.

:231:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I absolutely love it. I have to say, it actually looks far more reptilian than either Rare or PAON's models. The idea of gold paint flaking away is interesting. Good job, man. :)

That must have been talked about while I was away. Do the Japanese already like him despite him not being released there or ?

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman

Especially since those consoles are not as popular there as they are in America.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Especially since those consoles are not as popular there as they are in America.
That must have been talked about while I was away. Do the Japanese already like him despite him not being released there or ?
I don't think we've heard anything about his popularity there.Considering Nintendo's consoles are region locked, to know him, they must have played the PC version.

It's probably safe to say he's practically unknown there, at least among Nintendo fans. I don't think the Japanese release will change anything drastically in the short term, but it does bode well for him in the long run. Though being on the XBox and Playstation now as well hurts him.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

Just a little warning for us

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251525-...lease-plague-of-shadows-update-challenge-mode

Shovel knight is going to have a atvantage now.

But i don't think it will hurt the kings chances at all.
Shovel Knight being released in Japan suddenly gives him a chance? A chance at what? Winning the ballot? Getting into the game anyway? Neither outcome is very likely. He's appeared in a grand total of one game; a game that isn't even exclusive to Nintendo platforms. What do Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all have in common? They've had Nintendo exclusives. Even Snake had a Nintendo exclusive in Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color. Shovel Knight has literally nothing. No Japanese fanbase. No legacy. And quite frankly, I'm not sure why people keep mentioning other characters in this thread. Let's focus on K. Rool and K. Rool alone.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight being released in Japan suddenly gives him a chance? A chance at what? Winning the ballot? Getting into the game anyway? Neither outcome is very likely. He's appeared in a grand total of one game; a game that isn't even exclusive to Nintendo platforms. What do Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all have in common? They've had Nintendo exclusives. Even Snake had a Nintendo exclusive in Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color. Shovel Knight has literally nothing. No Japanese fanbase. No legacy. And quite frankly, I'm not sure why people keep mentioning other characters in this thread. Let's focus on K. Rool and K. Rool alone.
Any character that poses King K so much as a 50% threat, I will always mention whenever I feel it needs mentioning. Shovel Knight is just as possible to be a Newcomer. Whoever is thinking realistically, will see that too.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well yes shovel knight is 3rd party catergory due to no tcoming out for nintendo first

But shovel knights biggest problem before was only known in usa but this destorys that wall due to coming out in japan.

And
http://i.imgur.com/ePRKw1S.jpg

Its unoffical but shovel knight is in the 3rd party catergory

It may be 1 third and one 1st/2nd party character from the ballot in my opinion

It may help the knight be banjo and kazooie but thats a long ways off though.

Last edited:
his biggest problem was being non-japanese

but he still has
indie (aka 3rd party)
1 game
multiplat
likely a fad who will not be voted for much later. his popularity is already falling

so a very minor 3rd party character with little ties to nintendo. he is nothing to K rool or dixie.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
his biggest problem was being non-japanese

but he still has
indie (aka 3rd party)
1 game
multiplat
likely a fad who will not be voted for much later. his popularity is already falling

so a very minor 3rd party character with little ties to nintendo. he is nothing to K rool or dixie.
Agreed

Thats why the king is untouched in pain by this.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Shovel Knight getting a Japanese release is meaningless seeing as he still has to go through Sakurai (who should REALLY be taking a long overdue break).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@Blobfish Superb, superb work. I look forward to seeing any K. Rool-related work you put out in the future.

Figured I'd post a theory I had a day or so ago, with regard to why DK characters have seemingly been so ignored. The answer has its roots back with Rare and its ensuing buyout. See, back in the Melee poll, there was no DK section, only a Rare section. It featured Diddy, but no other DK characters, only Banjo, James Bond and the like. None of those characters got into Melee.

Fastforward to Brawl, where Diddy is the only viable one left, not to mention the clear next most important DK character to add. All DK fans basically rally around Diddy, leaving K. Rool rarely mentioned and Dixie a complete afterthought except as part of a potential duo mechanic. K. Rool wasn't completely ignored, hence him getting two mentions in Sakurai's old Brawl journal (a compilation of requests he found interesting), but he was basically to Diddy what Dixie is to him right now. Diddy gets into Brawl, and the K. Rool fanbase starts growing, but too little, too late for Brawl.

By the time SSB4 rolls around, K. Rool is the most requested Nintendo newcomer for the game, third behind only Mewtwo and Mega Man overall. That being said, no public poll was conducted between Brawl and SSB4, with only vague rumblings about one from Sakurai in justifying how characters are added. This leads me to believe that Brawl's poll was used to some degree for SSB4, with the rest of the characters cobbled about as advertisements or as developers' preferred priorities.

The takeaway? The developers may have been judging K. Rool based off of popularity from 2006 and, thus, overlooked him as being less requested than he actually is. Should this be the case, the Smash ballot will prove to be quite an awakening for them, and not of the Fire Emblem variety.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
@Blobfish Superb, superb work. I look forward to seeing any K. Rool-related work you put out in the future.

Figured I'd post a theory I had a day or so ago, with regard to why DK characters have seemingly been so ignored. The answer has its roots back with Rare and its ensuing buyout. See, back in the Melee poll, there was no DK section, only a Rare section. It featured Diddy, but no other DK characters, only Banjo, James Bond and the like. None of those characters got into Melee.

Fastforward to Brawl, where Diddy is the only viable one left, not to mention the clear next most important DK character to add. All DK fans basically rally around Diddy, leaving K. Rool rarely mentioned and Dixie a complete afterthought except as part of a potential duo mechanic. K. Rool wasn't completely ignored, hence him getting two mentions in Sakurai's old Brawl journal (a compilation of requests he found interesting), but he was basically to Diddy what Dixie is to him right now. Diddy gets into Brawl, and the K. Rool fanbase starts growing, but too little, too late for Brawl.

By the time SSB4 rolls around, K. Rool is the most requested Nintendo newcomer for the game, third behind only Mewtwo and Mega Man overall. That being said, no public poll was conducted between Brawl and SSB4, with only vague rumblings about one from Sakurai in justifying how characters are added. This leads me to believe that Brawl's poll was used to some degree for SSB4, with the rest of the characters cobbled about as advertisements or as developers' preferred priorities.

The takeaway? The developers may have been judging K. Rool based off of popularity from 2006 and, thus, overlooked him as being less requested than he actually is. Should this be the case, the Smash ballot will prove to be quite an awakening for them, and not of the Fire Emblem variety.
and not of the Fire Emblem variety.

K. Rool for Smash

cybersai

Smash Ace

By the time SSB4 rolls around, K. Rool is the most requested Nintendo newcomer for the game, third behind only Mewtwo and Mega Man overall. That being said, no public poll was conducted between Brawl and SSB4, with only vague rumblings about one from Sakurai in justifying how characters are added. This leads me to believe that Brawl's poll was used to some degree for SSB4, with the rest of the characters cobbled about as advertisements or as developers' preferred priorities..
Still doesn't explain why Dixie didn't at least get in Smash U's base game. DK having no newcomers at all despite two new games since Brawl is absurd.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
So, after fixing up the moveset details with others in a Skype chat, I give you, the finalized Standard K. Rool moveset!!

Be sure to tweet this to Playtonic and hopefully we can get a RT!

Attachments

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Still doesn't explain why Dixie didn't at least get in Smash U's base game. DK having no newcomers at all despite two new games since Brawl is absurd.
Probably some mixture of Sakurai being apathetic toward the series, the team not bothering to learn about Tropical Freeze in time or Sakurai finding Dixie to not be "unique" enough to be playable, like with Chrom.

What with all the new ballots coming in saying "DK got snubbed, he got robbed, where's the DK content, what gives, guys?" I don't think we'll have to worry about it anymore once DLC is all said and done.

EDIT: Everyone make sure to check out that moveset illustrated by @ Zombie Saurian Zombie Saurian ...it's an exemplary depiction of what the King could do in game to stand out from the crowd.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyway to tell if K.Rool is winning? I really want him in the game but I don't wanna get my hopes up only to be disappointed like before.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
No way to tell for sure, since not everyone will vote in an exit poll. However, we can tell who the popular choices are in a lot of online circles, as well as which popular choices are going to get ruled out (the one-off/obscure third parties, veterans who are either already planned or have some inhibiting factor, and some of the characters who already have roles). There's also that the random casuals aren't going to be rallying behind any one character, but splitting votes left and right.

With those factors in mind, few, if any are left standing at the level Rool seems to be at. For his fanbase, it's a matter of maintaining the status quo, so no one else pulls ahead while his fans act complacently. Getting in as many votes as possible is also important for overriding any potential concerns NoJ's old fogeys may have about the character.

Also, everyone with a Reddit account, be sure to upvote Zombie's moveset so more eyes can see it.

cybersai

Smash Ace
King K. Rool is definitely leading the polls not counting cut veterans. Factor out cut veterans (like Wolf, Roy, Ice Climbers, etc), third party characters, or Ridley (probably still people voting for Ridley), and I am sure K. Rool is on top.

I mean who else is more popular than K. Rool at this point? The next most popular ones would probably be Isaac, Dixie and the Inklings and I seriously doubt they have as many votes as K. Rool does.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Let's remember K. Rool's most recent voice work: Super Mario Sluggers in 2008.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
No offense to this guy, but DK 64 K. Rool is just so much better. This guy just sounds goofy by comparison. I know K. Rool can be silly and crazy, but it just sounds generic and lame.
DK64 K. Rool is frightening. Especially when he gets mad. WHROAH!!! *Slamming fist in rage*

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Which makes me think he's adding Roy, Lucas and probably Wolf as easy additions, since they can be added to appeal to fans without much work. I wouldn't be surprised to see a solo Ice Climber added as well, if not just for fan appeal.

...So that'd be the 5 slots then, with Ryu. Hopefully "not in large quantities" still means at least 3, but I do understand it's alot of work to make a new character.

If anything, this makes me feel better about the ballot being unrelated to those empty slots in the data. Though I don't really see where the places posting these articles seem to be getting "Oh, Sakurai wants to pump out as much DLC as possible "for the fans!" SO MANY FIGHTERS!"

Seems like classic "gaming journalism" here.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm loving all this coverage for K Rool. Worst case scenario if he doesn't show up as DLC, there's a LOT of people talking about Rool right now, including Retro and Playtonic. I'm pleasantly surprised to see K Rool in some Japanese fan samples too, even topping some. Plenty of youtube channels, groups, and personalities discussing K Rool, with positive, negative, and indifferent attitudes towards the character but it's exposure none the less. This character hasn't been this popular in years. Recent VC releases also helped get K Rool some actual game exposure again.

Even if if he doesn't get in Smash, there's always the chance that a third game in Retro's DKCR could bring back K Rool and the Kremlings. I'd love to see the Tikis and Snowmads having been orchestrated by K Rool, with them both having failed them, bring out the Kremling army he's been amassing undisturbed by the Kongs with the other two enemies distracting them. It would be fittingly deceptive for Rool, who's always shown to use tricks to get his way rather than rely purely on brute strength (but he has that too and isn't afraid to use it).

After hearing that he's popular in both the West and in Japan, and he's pretty much only elbowing a bevy of third parties as of right now (and veterans who may all be coming back regardless of the poll if Mewtwo, Lucas, and now apparently Roy are any indication, and Wolf is HIGHLY likely to coincide with Star Fox U announcement). The only real contenders are Inklings and Isaac I'd suspect, at least here in the West. I hear Krystal from Star Fox Adventures popping up more Japan side.

Top Bottom