• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So Roy is for sure happening.
https://twitter.com/LTNintendo/status/588938332891176960

Sakurai is going to present at an FE concert.

Which means Roy won't be at E3. If we assume Ryu and at least 1-2 others are going to be at E3, I wonder who we are going to get!
Where's my David Wise concert? Fire Emblem getting a 25th anniversary celebration before DK and Metroid doesn't surprise me. Sakurai being one of the attendees doesn't surprise me either. He is a big fan of the franchise, after all. I don't know if this is the appropriate venue for a Roy reveal, but Sakurai's presence sure speaks volumes; it gives the "biased" accusations more merit.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Where's my David Wise concert? Fire Emblem getting a 25th anniversary celebration before DK and Metroid doesn't surprise me. Sakurai being one of the attendees doesn't surprise me either. He is a big fan of the franchise, after all. I don't know if this is the appropriate venue for a Roy reveal, but Sakurai's presence sure speaks volumes; it gives the "biased" accusations more merit.
Not sure if it heightens the "biased" accusations really. It would if there were concerts or events for other franchises(such as DK, the lack of which you've noted yourself), and said events were as open as this by having multiple speakers or developers, yet Sakurai refuses to take part. This event seems to even have the FE voice actors on board, whereas I recall something like the Zelda 25th anniversary concert was more close-knit by having only some of the Zelda series developers and some musicians present.

However, even if you're going to argue that Sakurai has bias for FE based on this, it's well deserved bias imo. He is after all responsible for FE being introduced overseas and increasing in popularity exponentially(Melee alone outsells every FE game), it'd ironically be biased if he didn't pay heed to this event as that'd be denying his impact to the series, which frankly would be quite disrespectful.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Fun fact: Masahiro Sakurai is credited under "Special Thanks" in Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (AKA FE6 AKA Roy's game).

Troykv

Smash Master
Note: Mario overshadow DK's s anniversary. The sale with Zelda/Metroid xD

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Note: Mario overshadow DK's s anniversary. The sale with Zelda/Metroid xD
Zelda actually got special treatment unlike Metroid.
Symphony of the Goddesses which started in 2011 and had a CD packed in with Skyward Sword.
Metroid got jack all for it's anniversary.

Troykv

Smash Master
Symphony of the Goddesses which started in 2011 and had a CD packed in with Skyward Sword.
Oh derp, I put sale ... XD

Here Mario equal Zelda and DK equal Metroid xD

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I will have to add to the c-"stick" criticisms and I find the camera controls to be incredibly frustrating in this game. I did notice that some of the voices from this game were pulled into Mario Kart Double Dash, though. Particularly Diddy's voice.

And then, of course, Donkey and Diddy get generic gorilla/chimp voices in Smash, along with Bowser's roars and Dedede's helldemon growls. You KNOW that K Rool is going to have dinosaur roars in Smash, don't you? No matter what sense of sapience that comes with wearing a crown, cape, captain coat or lab coat...they are all just cute accessories on a monster.

Whatever, I'm used to it. I'll be happy if K Rool is just in.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Well... Reggie did wear a Samus pin once... :p

I really think all this possible veteran announcements increase K. Rool's chances, the less competition, the better; and if Wolf, Roy and maybe some other veteran are really in the works I'm possitive all of their votes in the ballot are useless.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well... Reggie did wear a Samus pin once... :p

I really think all this possible veteran announcements increase K. Rool's chances, the less competition, the better; and if Wolf, Roy and maybe some other veteran are really in the works I'm possitive all of their votes in the ballot are useless.
This is what us K Rool fans need to remember. Take Wolf and Roy off the ballot and all the major polls have K Rool at the top with only Isaac and Inklings actually in competition, and only Isaac to a larger extent because the rest are third party, who have their chances reduced by Ryu's presence. We should be opening champagne bottles in honor of Royu.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is what us K Rool fans need to remember. Take Wolf and Roy off the ballot and all the major polls have K Rool at the top with only Isaac and Inklings actually in competition, and only Isaac to a larger extent because the rest are third party, who have their chances reduced by Ryu's presence. We should be opening champagne bottles in honor of Royu.
This guy gets it.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Also, I tried the trick of mapping X and Y (which are unused by default) to the C Right and C Left respectively, this helps IMMENSELY with rotating the camera and activating your popguns/orange grenades, still using the c stick for zooming and first person (which they like to default to anyway instead of rotating the frickin camera).

D

Deleted member

And even then neither Isaac or Inklings are going to be top King K. Rool, which puts him at an even more advantageous position to get in. I legitimately think he is our most likely newcomer at this point.

Sakurai would have to really dislike the franchise to not include him or Dixie as DLC at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
The problem is what if the ballot is only for 1-2 characters? We're already getting 4 characters before the ballot, so the ballot winners would likely be very few.

If say the top poll winners are K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, etc.....Sakurai would probably favor Inkling because its a new franchise and Isaac because he's a Japanese anime RPG character. And K. Rool would be ignored again.

You guys aren't thinking of this logically. We may only get 2 characters from the ballot, and even if K. Rool has the most votes there's no indication he'll get chosen.
This has been discussed SEVERAL times in the past few days. Can we all just be supportive of K. Rool and be respectful to eachother? Since this news came along things have been getting stickier in here. :p
Alright, I'm convinced! I'll drop the few bucks for the game. I like the idea of multiple playable characters though.
I love the game and I bought it yesterday. Never owned it as a kid. But did own dkc 1-3.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Something that was pointed out to me last night that we touched on when King of Swing got released to the eShop...whoever's writing the DKC and DK64 game descriptions seems to be going out of their way to reference K. Rool and the Kremlings, even when that didn't happen with the box arts/manuals their original releases.

Cranky Kong doesn't think Donkey Kong has proven himself to be a hero yet. So, he decides to work out a deal with the closest villain that he knows. K. Rool and his baddies have hidden bananas in new places across Donkey Kong Island in another attempt to outwit the best-friend duo.
Wage battle against Kaptain K. Rool and his vast army of Kremlings!

K. Rool has kidnapped Donkey Kong, and he's demanding the entire banana hoard as ransom!

There are over 40 levels to complete—each filled with special traps, collectibles, dastardly Kremlings, and a boatload of barrels to blast out of!
Cross isles with the Kong family as they face K. Rool in the ultimate showdown.

With his mechanical isle stuck off the shores of DK Island, K. Rool kidnaps the Kong family to distract Donkey Kong™.

Join Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong™, Tiny Kong™, Lanky Kong™, and Chunky Kong™ as they fight to keep DK Island safe and sound from K. Rool and his Kremling crew.

The only one missing is DKC3, where he's more of a surprise spoiler hiding behind KAOS.

This is something outside observers of The Cult of Rool are going to look at with derision, but I think it's safe to say from all the new namedrops that they're trying to use the characters as selling points. Also, of note, they're referring to the character as "K. Rool" without the King title, which didn't happen in the original games.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Woot that's good news!

All this talk of DK64 is making me want to plug in my N64 and play. Perhaps more Kampaign ideas will come to me!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Something that was pointed out to me last night that we touched on when King of Swing got released to the eShop...whoever's writing the DKC and DK64 game descriptions seems to be going out of their way to reference K. Rool and the Kremlings, even when that didn't happen with the box arts/manuals their original releases.

The only one missing is DKC3, where he's more of a surprise spoiler hiding behind KAOS.

This is something outside observers of The Cult of Rool are going to look at with derision, but I think it's safe to say from all the new namedrops that they're trying to use the characters as selling points. Also, of note, they're referring to the character as "K. Rool" without the King title, which didn't happen in the original games.
Except for Kaptain K. Rool, of course.

But naturally, if they go with "K. Rool," they can reference all his personas at once. I definitely think they're going out of the way to reference K. Rool. Its especially notable how they namedrop K. Rool in DKC, when in DKC he was really this unknown the entire game. You knew there were Kremlings throughout the game, but you didn't know who their leader was until you ran into him at Gangplank Galleon. MAYBE he was in the manual, but who the hell reads the manuals?! :D

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360

But naturally, if they go with "K. Rool," they can reference all his personas at once. I definitely think they're going out of the way to reference K. Rool. Its especially notable how they namedrop K. Rool in DKC, when in DKC he was really this unknown the entire game. You knew there were Kremlings throughout the game, but you didn't know who their leader was until you ran into him at Gangplank Galleon. MAYBE he was in the manual, but who the hell reads the manuals?! :D
I do, gives me a head start as my friends and I usually start off just playing the multiplayer.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

He was actually silhouetted out in the DKC and DKC2 manuals. I remember them both. And I don't think they mentioned him by name.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Nintendo is finally realizing how popular the Kremlings are! Think about it

All original DKC games are avalable on the Eshop

Retro and Michael Kelbaugh following the Kremling Kampaign on Twitter

Kremlings in Smash Run

It's happening......you have to admit Nintendo have been listening to their fans a lot more as of late. I think all of us Kramming the Kremlings down their throats have shown them that we want them back their as loved as Bowser and his Koopa legions. I'm thinking we will see a resurgence of them sooner rather than later. I still think Retro has a 3rd DKC game coming this Gen and I believe we will see K. Rool make a triumphant return.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nintendo is finally realizing how popular the Kremlings are! Think about it

All original DKC games are avalable on the Eshop

Retro and Michael Kelbaugh following the Kremling Kampaign on Twitter

Kremlings in Smash Run

It's happening......you have to admit Nintendo have been listening to their fans a lot more as of late. I think all of us Kramming the Kremlings down their throats have shown them that we want them back their as loved as Bowser and his Koopa legions. I'm thinking we will see a resurgence of them sooner rather than later. I still think Retro has a 3rd DKC game coming this Gen and I believe we will see K. Rool make a triumphant return.
Even if it was just Michael Kelbaugh, I'd be shocked if we didn't see Kremlings in DKCR3. Like, seriously, they get asked every time if there's Kremlings in the game. And the PRESIDENT OF RETRO is following the "Bring Back K. Rool" kampaign.

That's awesome.

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
So, here's all the DLC characters we KNOW we're getting:
-Mewtwo (Not fully released yet)
-Lucas
-Roy
-Ryu

And here's the characters that we MAY be getting:
-Wolf
-King K.Rool

I'm liking this whole DLC thing so far. Let's hope there are even more to be announced.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
-Lucas
-Roy
-Ryu

-Wolf
-King K.Rool

I'm liking this whole DLC thing so far. Let's hope there are even more to be announced.
Wait, how are you so sure about Ryu and Roy?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I know about that, but I think it's too early to treat Ryu and Roy being DLC as a sure thing.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
-Lucas
-Roy
-Ryu

-Wolf
-King K.Rool

-Isaac
:3
But nevertheless, the pool of potential characters is certainly shortening. If Sakurai can plan 3(4?) DLC characters while juggling the possibility of moar potential characters with the ballot, then the probability of getting K Rool just gets higher and higher...
Unless Sakurai just flat out ignores K Rool or something.

lelelelelel

Smash Apprentice
So I'm thinking about getting DK64. I loved Banjo-Tooie, but I wonder...what are the biggest similarities and differences between the Banjo games and DK64, I just know that DK64 is a collectathon, and not just any, but the king of collectathons (as in, more collectables than any other game in that era which is not necessarily a good thing). Having never played a game with K Rool in it (I know...I know...) I'm definitely interested in checking it out.
Banjo tooie and DK64 are my 2 favorite games of all time, if you liked tooie you should buy it

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
Well it was confirmed earlier that Sakurai is going to be on stage and presenting something during an upcoming Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary concert. The timing is perfect and all around a give away that Roy is happening!

https://twitter.com/LTNintendo/status/588938332891176960
It HAS to be Roy. Sakurai has stated that in the time it takes to make one newcomer, they could crank out six clones. That doesn't mean EVERYONE is a working on a single character, however. There could be multiple groups over there slowly but surely prepping a bunch of newcomers.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
After playing DK64 for a while, I've come to realize this:
1) The R button is your friend when dealing with the camera, unless it's blocked by a wall or something similar, it will always shift the focus to the front of you.
2) That beetle is still as annoying as I remember it.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I'm going to miss Archdan's Lonely Roy series. (Y'know, since there won't be any point to it continuing.)

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
If Roy is in, what would they do about there already being a Roy in the game? Would they call him Prince Roy or something?(I don't know if he's a prince or not but you get the idea.) And it would seem kind of dumb to put in Ryu when the next big game in the Street Fighter series isn't even coming to Wii U. This is why I have doubts about this.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If Roy is in, what would they do about there already being a Roy in the game? Would they call him Prince Roy or something?(I don't know if he's a prince or not but you get the idea.) And it would seem kind of dumb to put in Ryu when the next big game in the Street Fighter series isn't even coming to Wii U. This is why I have doubts about this.
Snake was put in Brawl despite his next game being PS exclusive. They even spoilt the Shadow Moses part of MGS4.
Koopaling Roy can be called Roy Koopa.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Same could have been said about Snake during Brawl's development with MGS4 coming out on the PS3. Someone had written somewhere a great write up talking about how it would make total sense for Ryu to get in touching on topics such as SFII practically starting the fighting genre, Sakurai was a huge fan of the game and modeled SSB64's roster off the SFII roster. Part of SSB is paying homage to Nintendo's history and recently the history of influential companys that have cooperated with Nintendo for the game (Pac-man, Capcom's megaman etc.) At first I was turned off by the idea of Ryu but after I let it sink in it made sense to me.

EDIT: Beat to the punch
@ Schnee117 Schnee117

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii U is having spectacular sales right now is it? As Nintendo are now, I figure that they would think twice about this sort of thing, although I guess it wouldn't be that surprising to see Ryu in. I'm all for it, but it's just too good to be true in my eyes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom