• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That isn't saying much given Samus got her character assassinated and everyone else was bland as hell. Anthony was a sub-par character surrounded by even worse characters that made him seem better than he was.
It's true; sadly he's one of the better of very few options, really.

But yeah, Other M was so goddamn awful.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope King K.Rool won't be as horribly imbalanced as Mewtwo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just hope King K.Rool won't be as horribly imbalanced as Mewtwo.
Well, as long as his attacks aren't so slow they'd be useless, he ought to be fine. It's not like he'd have the same weight issue Mewtwo does. (For some reason...)

Either way, I'll main the King no matter what he plays like, as long as he's himself. Seriously, if we get K. Rool I'll get all up in competitive Smash 4.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K.Rool might get the opposite effect of Mewtwo though, he might be so heavy and have such a big hurtbox that he'd be extremely easy to hit and combo. But I guess every heavy weight suffers from this to some degree. I do think that the King, like Mewtwo, will rely heavily on making punishes mostly. But I guess due to his amazing girth, K.Rool won't have to worry about trades as much. If he can play campy with his projectiles, he probably should.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
K.Rool might get the opposite effect of Mewtwo though, he might be so heavy and have such a big hurtbox that he'd be extremely easy to hit and combo. But I guess every heavy weight suffers from this to some degree. I do think that the King, like Mewtwo, will rely heavily on making punishes mostly. But I guess due to his amazing girth, K.Rool won't have to worry about trades as much. If he can play campy with his projectiles, he probably should.
Especially if he follows the yet nonexistent trap archetype we hope we will, he'd be great at keeping enemies away, to prevent them from wrecking his fatass.

But I'd be no stranger to pathetic heavyweights anyway, I mained Ganon (and Diddy, but still) in Brawl, so...

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, as long as his attacks aren't so slow they'd be useless, he ought to be fine. It's not like he'd have the same weight issue Mewtwo does. (For some reason...)
Mewtwo's Smash 4 trophy states he's light because he suspends himself with his telekinesis.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's Smash 4 trophy states he's light because he suspends himself with his telekinesis.
You'd think he could use that same telekinesis to stop himself, or turn it off when he gets hit. It's the thing keeping him from being a decent character.

Speaking of weight, I'd be disappointed if K. Rool was anything less than tied with Bowser for absolute heaviest.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I bought DK64. :3

I'm excited to play it again!

Maybe I'll 101% it this time.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So I'm thinking about getting DK64. I loved Banjo-Tooie, but I wonder...what are the biggest similarities and differences between the Banjo games and DK64, I just know that DK64 is a collectathon, and not just any, but the king of collectathons (as in, more collectables than any other game in that era which is not necessarily a good thing). Having never played a game with K Rool in it (I know...I know...) I'm definitely interested in checking it out.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I'm thinking about getting DK64. I loved Banjo-Tooie, but I wonder...what are the biggest similarities and differences between the Banjo games and DK64, I just know that DK64 is a collectathon, and not just any, but the king of collectathons (as in, more collectables than any other game in that era which is not necessarily a good thing). Having never played a game with K Rool in it (I know...I know...) I'm definitely interested in checking it out.
There's ALOT to collect. A lot. So ready your body.

But it absolutely feels like a Rare 3D platformer (that is to say, like Banjo-Kazooie at the time). Tooie came later and was better overall, but it's a Rare game so they're not that different in the quality department.

DK64 has some of the most memorable worlds, music tracks, characters and bosses of my gaming career, and it's probably K. Rool's most fleshed out and entertaining appearance as a villain.

Definitely worth a play through! I mean, I've played it through 100% multiple times, but yeah. This game will make you love K. Rool all the more, I tell ya.

As far as differences, it's more focused on clearing each world with each Kong, whereas Banjo games focus on expanding the move sets of B&K who are essentially one character. There's less to collect in Banjo games, and the games feel a bit more fluid and well put together as a result I think, but that doesn't stop DK64 from also being great.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do it like yesterday.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Alright, I'm convinced! I'll drop the few bucks for the game. I like the idea of multiple playable characters though.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Alright, I'm convinced! I'll drop the few bucks for the game. I like the idea of multiple playable characters though.
You won't regret it the game holds up VERY well even today the game still looks great!

Sure there's a lot to collect but that's platformers on the 64 for you DK64 just pushed the bar real high lol. Thing is for all the back tracking and collecting that's involved it dosent get boring, the game is so charming from the music to graphics (despite being outdated). People who love to complain about the back tracking my reply is always Metroid.....

It's a great game though a classic

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Bought DK64 like 90% of the people here. Havent played it since N64 (funny this and both Banjo-Kazooie's on Xbox Live store are the only games I bought despite having them already with a working N64):

-THREAD RELEVANT COMMENT Whoa I didn't remembered that K. Rool had voiced lines besides the grunts and "KONG KRUSH!" at the final battle. Its a nice voice, and I really wish we get that voice in Smash and not random crocodile roars.

-The Wii U gamepad is not that comfy to play this game. And I miss the C buttons instead of having a slippery C-Stick to select the weapons.

-The game might not be kid friendly. Things I see as "part of the charm" can be boring for the new generations. Like having to go to the tag barrel each time to get the different bananas/coins instead of changing on the spot. Still is a great game and I hope everyone who didn't played it gives it a chance and see why K. Rool is such a fun character.

-For the Lanky meme spewers. Chunky>Lanky.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Bought DK64 like 90% of the people here. Havent played it since N64 (funny this and both Banjo-Kazooie's on Xbox Live store are the only games I bought despite having them already with a working N64):

-THREAD RELEVANT COMMENT Whoa I didn't remembered that K. Rool had voiced lines besides the grunts and "KONG KRUSH!" at the final battle. Its a nice voice, and I really wish we get that voice in Smash and not random crocodile roars.

-The Wii U gamepad is not that comfy to play this game. And I miss the C buttons instead of having a slippery C-Stick to select the weapons.

-The game might not be kid friendly. Things I see as "part of the charm" can be boring for the new generations. Like having to go to the tag barrel each time to get the different bananas/coins instead of changing on the spot. Still is a great game and I hope everyone who didn't played it gives it a chance and see why K. Rool is such a fun character.

-For the Lanky meme spewers. Chunky>Lanky.

Yeah. I agree about the C buttons being translated on the c-stick being awkward. However I also agree that this game will have a certain charm to it. I just couldn't put the game down since how much of a die-hard Donkey Kong fan I am and this game brings me pure nostalgia.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Managed to get to the first boss before my Gamepad died, but from what I was able to play, it's been a lot of fun. I'm enjoying going through the worlds again and trying to locate all that is hidden within it, it's something that I've missed since the 64 era and I'm glad that I'm able to have that experience again.

Having said that, I do agree with the C-stick complaint, it's pretty annoying since the Wii U gamepad can be a bit finicky with the controls. Luckily everything else is fine, so I'll be able to adapt to it with some practice.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I actually ended up binding X and Y to c-left and c-right just so I could have more camera control and I still end up going into first person more often then I want when using the 'c-stick' as it were.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'm not the only one having trouble with camera control because of the c buttons. That is the only complaint I have about playing the game on Wii U. I tried reassigning a lot of the buttons on my controller but haven't really been able to fix the issue.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Good news everyone! Well, not that good. More like neutral.
But however, I have a new teaser of my drawing for you!

Hm... This looks nice, right? ...Well, I assume you all, who have seen my teasers will now know that I'm doing more than one thing, but how much is yet to see? You probably want to punch me, because I'm not telling you how much will follow! :upsidedown:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
You won't regret it the game holds up VERY well even today the game still looks great!

Sure there's a lot to collect but that's platformers on the 64 for you DK64 just pushed the bar real high lol. Thing is for all the back tracking and collecting that's involved it dosent get boring, the game is so charming from the music to graphics (despite being outdated). People who love to complain about the back tracking my reply is always Metroid.....

It's a great game though a classic
I love back tracking, its one of the reasons why I like Metroid. You don't just see each environment just once. I would get caught up in the atmosphere of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Each one is so unique and detailed. MP1 had very natural landscapes. In MP2 you could see how messed up everything has become. The planets in MP3, freaking awe-inspiring. And you get to revisit every area in the games!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I bought DK64. :3

I'm excited to play it again!

Maybe I'll 101% it this time.
I actually finally reached 101% three years ago. While DK64 has K. Rool at his most memorable, I personally thought it was the weakest of Rare's mainline DK titles. I preferred Kazooie and Tooie over it. The amount of stuff to collect was over the top. Tooie had that problem too, and the overall reward for getting all the Jiggies was underwhelming. At least DK64 had an amusing video for getting 101%. BK was easily the best of the three.

D

Deleted member

I will have to play the Rare N64 platformer trio (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tootie, and DK64) again to compare them.
So Roy is for sure happening.
https://twitter.com/LTNintendo/status/588938332891176960

Sakurai is going to present at an FE concert.

Which means Roy won't be at E3. If we assume Ryu and at least 1-2 others are going to be at E3, I wonder who we are going to get!
Assuming Roy gets confirmed at the FE 25th anniversary concert and Ryu at E3, I'm betting Wolf gets confirmed. He likely has been in the work since Lucas got started if not earlier.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will have to play the Rare N64 platformer trio (Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tootie, and DK64) again to compare them.Assuming Roy gets confirmed at the FE 25th anniversary concert and Ryu at E3, I'm betting Wolf gets confirmed. He likely has been in the work since Lucas got started if not earlier.
Yea confirmed at a 25th anniversary is a safe bet if roy really is upcoming dlc.

And yes i agree that another character was being made while lucas is built, (june for a character who looks almost 100% complete is supsicous)

Ryu might be E3 if hes real as well.

Top Bottom