• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If we go by the new title's logic, Dixie Kong and Brash the Bear are also shoo-ins. :troll:

(Hell, let's add all three of them in a Donkey Kong Country Expansion Pak for Smash in order for every fan to have that feature length experience.)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
As far as the previous discussion goes, two points. . .

--There's a world of difference between hating/disliking questionable or bad development decisions and hating a developer. As irrational as it is to put a developer on a pedestal as a "hard-working genius god" among men, it's worse to legitimately hate one as a human being. I sincerely hope no one in here does.

--@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux has a number of good points over the past few pages. Although I still see favoritism in Sakurai's choices (slapping Pit in so many prominent places in game, adding only Kirby content from his games), a lot of the ported resources only come off that way because they're from a such a tiny series (if you can call "one old game, a port, and one new game" that). No one would bat an eye if Miyamoto or Retro added in that much content from Mario/Zelda/DK/Metroid because they can justify it.

--That being said, I still don't sympathize with Sakurai and co. for the potential reasons DK got so little. It's so hard to contact an overseas company in 2012? Miyamoto was regularly corresponding with the Stamper Bros. in Europe in 1994 during DKC's production. He didn't have time to play DKC over the 15 years he's been developing Smash games? Delegate it to one of the many, many people on your team, or even just watch a few YouTube videos or read some Wiki entries. Not to mention, if he has indeed already played through to get Diddy's animations done so well, there's no excuse for the continued flanderization to "stupid monkeys in jungles."
I certainly don't put Sakurai on a pedestal, but I do have honest respect for the man and think he's pretty damn good at what he does, most of the time. His ability to hold strong with such a stressful position and health issues is also admirable.

I can't say anything about his favoritism regarding Pit being put on the same level as Nintendo's greats. Perhaps he's a little too prideful of his latest non-Smash game, but I'll play the devil's advocate. At least with Kirby, I don't blame him at all for using only his own creations from it. Even if I willingly gave my character to someone else to use, I can't imagine I'd be all that happy with using anything they did instead of my own work. Again, even though he no longer works on it, it's still his creation, so HAL probably doesn't say anything in regards to Kirby out of pure respect.

You raise a good point about the communications, but there's also the matter of Sakurai already having to deal with a large number of outside parties rather than just a single one. I'm playing the devil's advocate again, but I do still think that he never got word on Tropical Freeze until late into development, so he just didn't bother with anything but Returns. In regards to Diddy's animations, Sakurai, or at least someone on the team, had to have played at least the first DKC.
Just look here, skip to 11:15 if you want the important parts. Diddy was so accurately portrayed that it's not even funny. Maybe he sees them as funny jungle animals, but he still makes it a point to capture some essence of the character.

I can't really give him much else, but I do think he at least tries to some extent, even if he gives up (Ice Climbers).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If we go by the new title's logic, Dixie Kong and Brash the Bear are also shoo-ins. :troll:

(Hell, let's add all three of them in a Donkey Kong Country Expansion Pak for Smash in order for every fan to have that feature length experience.)
Lol brash the bear.
About Dixie, I believe BKupa himself said something like this: It's not about which DK characters get in, but about if K.Rool gets in
AKA we shouldn't mind Dixie

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Perhaps, when you get your hands on a computer and get into programming, modelling and such, maybe you'll understand.

No wonder that he said "Have you ever made a game?" when someone made a commentary on how he "would do things better" than him.

What "people" and "fans" are you talking about really? Yourself and the vocal minorities campaigning for Ridley and K. Rool? Wait, just because those two characters aren't in, suddenly Sakurai ignores everyone? That's insane logic.

I saw people wanting Little Mac, I saw people wanting Mega Man, I saw people wanting Palutena, I saw people wanting Lucina, I saw people wanting Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and an Animal Crossing character. Even the dog from Duck Hunt had people wanting him.

Shulk was one of the most wanted characters in Japan and his series had significant campaigning to get it out of Japan. All of the new characters except Wii Fit Trainer had fans that wanted them and even her has merit to be in Smash, considering how her series was one of the biggest sellers of the Wii.

Sakurai made Mewtwo as DLC because people wanted him to return and even pondered that more could be made as he knows fans look forward to more characters in Smash.

Seems that your logic is "I didn't get what I wanted, therefore the game didn't have what people wanted". Flawed and egocentric as ****. I'm not even bothering to argue with you past this, for it will be a waste of my time.
I don't know how you can possibly call the Ridley fanbase a "vocal minority" even though he was by far the most requested character online behind Mega Man. No, I don't think it's fair to say that Sakurai ignores everybody, otherwise Mega Man wouldn't be in the game. You conveniently forgot to mention Greninja and Robin, neither of which anybody saw coming. That doesn't necessarily make them poor choices, but his first priority should have been to include the most popular characters. Considering that Greninja was apparently being worked on before Pokémon X and Y were even released, the argument that he was included as a glorified advertisement holds some water - pun intended. GameFreak probably made him overpowered on purpose just in case he wasn't popular. I find that kinda gross, personally. Characters like Villager and Little Mac were fantastic choices and should have been playable a long time ago. One thing I hate about Smash roster discussions is that people will act like these characters were "shoe-ins", when in reality, the only characters I saw on virtually every most wanted list immediately following the E3 reveal trailer were Little Mac, Ridley, Mewtwo, and either K. Rool or Dixie. Bowser Jr. and Shulk were pleasant surprises, but it's naive to believe that they were "guaranteed" for some reason or another. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's like the people who will come out of the woodwork and say "I knew it was fake all along" after a popular leak or rumor is debunked. Nothing is more irritating than that.

Yeah, I saw "some" people wanting Rosalina and the dog from Duck Hunt too. What's your point? Every minor character has a fanbase. I saw people advocating for Funky Kong's inclusion, but I didn't think for a second that he would be playable. Out of the three most requested characters, Ridley, Mewtwo, and King K. Rool, one of them is DLC, one of them a stage hazard, and the other one is MIA. Complaining about their absence hardly seems selfish to me. I'd argue that the one being selfish here is you. I got what I wanted, so nobody else has a right to complain. This is the official K. Rool support thread, after all. What do you expect people to say?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
DKC on Virtual Console? Time to campaign for the croc in charge!

Also, watch the trailer Nintendo put up for the games. It is amazing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
When was that? Like, an hour ago? That's waaaaay too long ago for him to be relevant!
K.Rool's smart, this was back when the roster was finalized
"Ah screw it, I'll be a boss again, maybe next time I'll be lucky, what about you, Krokky Kompanion?"
Me? It's either playable or not in the game...Though a trophy wouldn't hurt..."

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't know how you can possibly call the Ridley fanbase a "vocal minority" even though he was by far the most requested character online behind Mega Man. No, I don't think it's fair to say that Sakurai ignores everybody, otherwise Mega Man wouldn't be in the game. You conveniently forgot to mention Greninja and Robin, neither of which anybody saw coming. That doesn't necessarily make them poor choices, but his first priority should have been to include the most popular characters. Considering that Greninja was apparently being worked on before Pokémon X and Y were even released, the argument that he was included as a glorified advertisement holds some water - pun intended. GameFreak probably made him overpowered on purpose just in case he wasn't popular. I find that kinda gross, personally. Characters like Villager and Little Mac were fantastic choices and should have been playable a long time ago. One thing I hate about Smash roster discussions is that people will act like these characters were "shoe-ins", when in reality, the only characters I saw on virtually every most wanted list immediately following the E3 reveal trailer were Little Mac, Ridley, Mewtwo, and either K. Rool or Dixie. Bowser Jr. and Shulk were pleasant surprises, but it's naive to believe that they were "guaranteed" for some reason or another. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's like the people who will come out of the woodwork and say "I knew it was fake all along" after a popular leak or rumor is debunked. Nothing is more irritating than that.

Yeah, I saw "some" people wanting Rosalina and the dog from Duck Hunt too. What's your point? Every minor character has a fanbase. I saw people advocating for Funky Kong's inclusion, but I didn't think for a second that he would be playable. Out of the three most requested characters, Ridley, Mewtwo, and King K. Rool, one of them is DLC, one of them a stage hazard, and the other one is MIA. Complaining about their absence hardly seems selfish to me. I'd argue that the one being selfish here is you. I got what I wanted, so nobody else has a right to complain. This is the official K. Rool support thread, after all. What do you expect people to say?
I was countering his point of saying "nothing the fans wanted is in the game", when it's a blatantly false generalization. One thing is to criticize Sakurai (which is tolerable, of course, as no one is perfect), other is to use fallacies in argumentation. It's the latter I have a problem with.

When the roster was revealed, I was disappointed that Mewtwo was absent again, but I wouldn't go as far as to say Sakurai put nothing that fans wanted, when the game is full of shout-outs, fanservice and a lot of new content.

Thing is, he can't please everyone, no matter how many characters he puts in the game.

And yes, the Ridley fanbase is a vocal minority. The entire Smash internet community is a minority compared to the thousands upon thousands of people that buy Smash. The majority of people that buy Smash do so because "it's that super-awesome game where you can play as Mario, Link and Pikachu in the same game". You know, the casual fans and little kids.

At least, the good thing about K. Rool is how he's just a trophy and has no role in the game, which makes him far more feasible for DLC than other characters.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I certainly don't put Sakurai on a pedestal, but I do have honest respect for the man and think he's pretty damn good at what he does, most of the time. His ability to hold strong with such a stressful position and health issues is also admirable.

I can't say anything about his favoritism regarding Pit being put on the same level as Nintendo's greats. Perhaps he's a little too prideful of his latest non-Smash game, but I'll play the devil's advocate. At least with Kirby, I don't blame him at all for using only his own creations from it. Even if I willingly gave my character to someone else to use, I can't imagine I'd be all that happy with using anything they did instead of my own work. Again, even though he no longer works on it, it's still his creation, so HAL probably doesn't say anything in regards to Kirby out of pure respect.

You raise a good point about the communications, but there's also the matter of Sakurai already having to deal with a large number of outside parties rather than just a single one. I'm playing the devil's advocate again, but I do still think that he never got word on Tropical Freeze until late into development, so he just didn't bother with anything but Returns. In regards to Diddy's animations, Sakurai, or at least someone on the team, had to have played at least the first DKC.
Just look here, skip to 11:15 if you want the important parts. Diddy was so accurately portrayed that it's not even funny. Maybe he sees them as funny jungle animals, but he still makes it a point to capture some essence of the character.

I can't really give him much else, but I do think he at least tries to some extent, even if he gives up (Ice Climbers).
Wasn't accusing you of putting him on a pedestal at all, of course, just pointing out that extreme love and extreme hate are both irrational viewpoints to take about a human being. And I can understand pride in his personal Kirby games, it's just disappointing that Kirby fans don't get to enjoy content from the great new games in the series (RtDL and Epic Yarn specifically) because Sakurai would rather revisit his own work. Not that there's shame in that, but at least put in one new and one old stage (like how people wanted DKC having Sunset Shore and Gangplank Galleon).

In terms of "have you ever made a game?", that quote was a legitimate question asked in response to some joking panelist wondering whether he could help Sakurai out if he managed to win a match against him. People twist those words all the time.

Lol brash the bear.
About Dixie, I believe BKupa himself said something like this: It's not about which DK characters get in, but about if K.Rool gets in
AKA we shouldn't mind Dixie
Precisely. K. Rool and Dixie are both All-Stars that should have been included by now, and one getting in before the other doesn't "complete" the roster or signify that fans of that character should stop supporting him/her, just by virtue of there being a third DK icon in the game.

Fans certainly wouldn't stop supporting K. Rool and Dixie if some shock DK character were thrown in, like "Arcade DK," so why they would be satisfied with just one of them in any scenario is beyond me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'll be honest, I may not care about the DK franchise, though I do think it's odd that it doesn't have more content. It did get a bunch of new content back in Brawl with a new character, two new stages and even some fan-favorite music.

In Smash 4, it's the only series to have a SSB64 stage and the new stage does have a creative mechanic. Sakurai did bring back the Kremlings as enemies in Smash Run along with Tikis from DKCR, which makes me think: it may have few content, but it manages to be quality content.

No Assist Trophies is probably the oddest thing about the DK franchise in Smash right now. The trophies for the series do show that there are a lot of characters in the series that could work as Assists, such as the animals, enemies or bosses.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I was countering his point of saying "nothing the fans wanted is in the game", when it's a blatantly false generalization. One thing is to criticize Sakurai (which is tolerable, of course, as no one is perfect), other is to use fallacies in argumentation. It's the latter I have a problem with.

When the roster was revealed, I was disappointed that Mewtwo was absent again, but I wouldn't go as far as to say Sakurai put nothing that fans wanted, when the game is full of shout-outs, fanservice and a lot of new content.

Thing is, he can't please everyone, no matter how many characters he puts in the game.

And yes, the Ridley fanbase is a vocal minority. The entire Smash internet community is a minority compared to the thousands upon thousands of people that buy Smash. The majority of people that buy Smash do so because "it's that super-awesome game where you can play as Mario, Link and Pikachu in the same game". You know, the casual fans and little kids.
True, I don't think it's fair to generalize and say that none of the newcomers were requested. I mean, if I were a bigger fan of Mega Man, I'd probably be offended by that statement. But at the same time, I can understand why some fans took it personally. Here we have two famous villains who have been around for decades, and no-names like Greninja and Robin come out of nowhere and usurp their slots on the Smash Bros. roster. Though contrary to popular belief, I don't buy into the whole "slots" notion.

I agree with your last point as well. In terms of fan requests, Ridley supporters are hardly in the minority, but the vast majority of people who buy the game have no idea who Ridley is. Oddly enough, I think K. Rool is probably the most recognizable Nintendo character who has yet to be playable, even though he hasn't had a significant role in years. The original Donkey Kong Country sold over 9 million units worldwide, and that number has been made even larger thanks to the handheld ports and Virtual Console releases. I know this is anecdotal, but even my mom recognizes him as "that crocodile from Donkey Kong." It's worth mentioning that the Donkey Kong Country cartoon series was very popular in Canada. It was also popular in Japan, which may have had an influence on those recent poll results. I think people underestimate just how important cartoon adaptations can be.

...why are we even arguing? Mother ****ing Donkey Kong Country is finally here! *blows kiss*

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
King K. Rool is back in the house! Now if only we could get Donkey Kong 64 in the Wii U VC (Inb4 Rare logo makes it unlikely to happen).
Rare logo doesn't do that because its in DKC as well. No, it'd be Jetpack if anything that does it. I don't think DK64 Wii U VC is possible. A DK64 3DS remake, on the other hand, I fully think will happen.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
True, I don't think it's fair to generalize and say that none of the newcomers were requested. I mean, if I were a bigger fan of Mega Man, I'd probably be offended by that statement. But at the same time, I can understand why some fans took it personally. Here we have two famous villains who have been around for decades, and no-names like Greninja and Robin come out of nowhere and usurp their slots on the Smash Bros. roster. Though contrary to popular belief, I don't buy into the whole "slots" notion.

I agree with your last point as well. In terms of fan requests, Ridley supporters are hardly in the minority, but the vast majority of people who buy the game have no idea who Ridley is. Oddly enough, I think K. Rool is probably the most recognizable Nintendo character who has yet to be playable, even though he hasn't had a significant role in years. The original Donkey Kong Country sold over 9 million units worldwide, and that number has been made even larger thanks to the handheld ports and Virtual Console releases. I know this is anecdotal, but even my mom recognizes him as "that crocodile from Donkey Kong." It's worth mentioning that the Donkey Kong Country cartoon series was very popular in Canada. It was also popular in Japan, which may have had an influence on those recent poll results. I think people underestimate just how important cartoon adaptations can be.

...why are we even arguing? Mother ****ing Donkey Kong Country is finally here! *blows kiss*
I can agree with your point about cartoon adaptations. Just look at the influence the Pokémon anime has in the franchise as a whole, which ends up influencing Smash as well.

Pac-Man and Mega Man have a whole lot of appeal compared to the majority of the newcomers and Sakurai was no fool in including them. Hell, even the Wii Fit Trainer appeals to the casuals and a lot of people took the reveal well. Her trailer had a lot of comedic vibes to it, given the sheer absurdity of her fighting with yoga poses of all things.

Sakurai may not address ALL of the requests, but he nails it when it comes to appealing to a wide crowd and different types of fans. Different characters will appeal to different target audiences.

Palutena, Shulk, Lucina, Robin and Dark Pit are likely to be enjoyed by fans into Japanese stuff like JRPGs, anime and manga, and their primary target is Japan. Pac-Man, Mega Man and Duck Hunt will appeal to older players with their retro feel. Little Mac appeals to Western fans. Bowser Jr., Rosalina and Greninja will appeal to a wide section of Nintendo fans. You get my point.

Of course, there will be characters left out, but you can only fit so many characters in a game with limited time, budget and resources.

King K. Rool is a good candidate for DLC, anyway. If he's popular in Japan and the West, he's a good choice for the Smash roster. I'd rather have some veteran fighters first, though a balance between veterans and newcomers ought to be the best option.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I can agree with your point about cartoon adaptations. Just look at the influence the Pokémon anime has in the franchise as a whole, which ends up influencing Smash as well.

Pac-Man and Mega Man have a whole lot of appeal compared to the majority of the newcomers and Sakurai was no fool in including them. Hell, even the Wii Fit Trainer appeals to the casuals and a lot of people took the reveal well. Her trailer had a lot of comedic vibes to it, given the sheer absurdity of her fighting with yoga poses of all things.

Sakurai may not address ALL of the requests, but he nails it when it comes to appealing to a wide crowd and different types of fans. Different characters will appeal to different target audiences.

Palutena, Shulk, Lucina, Robin and Dark Pit are likely to be enjoyed by fans into Japanese stuff like JRPGs, anime and manga, and their primary target is Japan. Pac-Man, Mega Man and Duck Hunt will appeal to older players with their retro feel. Little Mac appeals to Western fans. Bowser Jr., Rosalina and Greninja will appeal to a wide section of Nintendo fans. You get my point.

Of course, there will be characters left out, but you can only fit so many characters in a game with limited time, budget and resources.

King K. Rool is a good candidate for DLC, anyway. If he's popular in Japan and the West, he's a good choice for the Smash roster. I'd rather have some veteran fighters first, though a balance between veterans and newcomers ought to be the best option.
I agree with almost everything you said. However, I disagree with the generalization that Japanese people "likely" care about characters that look like they were inspired by anime, otherwise K. Rool wouldn't be their most requested newcomer. It's like saying that Americans only care about bald space marine characters who tote guns. I know what you're trying to say, and out of principle, I can't disagree, but these stereotypes have always bothered me. I mean, Japan is one of the Disney's largest markets. The country isn't some Utopian fantasy land where anime is overly pervasive throughout everyday society. The point I'm trying to make is that they shouldn't shoehorn minor characters into the game just because they may appeal to certain demographics. What are they going to do, introduce a fifth Fire Emblem character next game so they can check off that "anime eyes" box? I don't think we're as different as you think. Certainly anime is more mainstream over there, but I don't like branding Japan as such a one dimensional country.

Last edited:

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Woot DKC is on the VC finally! I urge everyone to buy these great games! Also tweet your progress/screenshots in these games to Nintendo!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I agree with almost everything you said. However, I disagree with the generalization that Japanese people "likely" care about characters that look like they were inspired by anime, otherwise K. Rool wouldn't be their most requested newcomer. It's like saying that Americans only care about bald space marine characters who tote guns. I know what you're trying to say, and out of principle, I can't disagree, but these stereotypes have always bothered me. I mean, Japan is one of the Disney's largest markets. The country isn't some Utopian fantasy land where anime is overly pervasive throughout everyday society. The point I'm trying to make is that they shouldn't shoehorn minor characters into the game just because they may appeal to certain demographics. What are they going to do, introduce a fifth Fire Emblem character next game so they can check off that "anime eyes" box? I don't think we're as different as you think. Certainly anime is more mainstream over there, but I don't like branding Japan as such a one dimensional country.
I'm well aware of that, but anime-like characters have more popularity over there. Fire Emblem, Xenoblade and JRPG series are overall more popular there, so those sort of characters have more appeal there. That was my point. Kid Icarus: Uprising had more popularity in Japan as well.

Of course, there are audiences for Japanese stuff outside of Japan, but they're more of a niche, whereas in Japan, those sort of things are more mainstream. Perhaps I phrased my sentence badly. Sorry about that. Embarrass

And I know very well that DKC is popular over there as well. Otherwise, K. Rool wouldn't be their #1 newcomer for DLC.

And yes, Japan isn't anime-land. I do try to inform myself of things over there and I know there are a lot of Western things popular over there. In fact, Japanese animation only exists because of Western cartoons, specifically those from Disney.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Welp, I know what I'm going to download and play when I get home.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Everyone here is arguing about Sakurai's crappy decisions on ssb4 and I'm just here happily enjoying DKC for SNES.

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
My reaction to this is basically "Why it was taking so long for the NA's eShop release list to pop up this week?" then I saw the trailer and now I'm like

Now Nintendo, bring that "PLAY IT LOUD!" slogan back for good! Either that or "Get N or get out!!"
Maybe it's the perfect timing to announce something DK related for Nintendo but it's an opinion.
I'm also playing DKC on my Wii U. :awesome:

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I'd say toad is more recognisable than k rool these days
I forgot Toad even existed. How ironic, considering my username is toadster101. Embarrass

It's a given that all of the Mario cast members are the most recognizable characters Nintendo has. I'd wager that Goomba is more well known than 85% of the Smash Bros. roster, but he'll never be playable. Sadly, I think the same applies to Toad.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
YOU GUYSSS!!!!! IT'S HAPPENING (What a sad state of affairs to be this excited about a port that should've been here earlier. Oh well.)

Already downloaded all 3 SNES games and am searching frantically for my 3DS to claim the other 3. YUSSSSSS!!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Perhaps, when you get your hands on a computer and get into programming, modelling and such, maybe you'll understand.

No wonder that he said "Have you ever made a game?" when someone made a commentary on how he "would do things better" than him.

What "people" and "fans" are you talking about really? Yourself and the vocal minorities campaigning for Ridley and K. Rool? Wait, just because those two characters aren't in, suddenly Sakurai ignores everyone? That's insane logic.

I saw people wanting Little Mac, I saw people wanting Mega Man, I saw people wanting Palutena, I saw people wanting Lucina, I saw people wanting Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and an Animal Crossing character. Even the dog from Duck Hunt had people wanting him.

Shulk was one of the most wanted characters in Japan and his series had significant campaigning to get it out of Japan. All of the new characters except Wii Fit Trainer had fans that wanted them and even her has merit to be in Smash, considering how her series was one of the biggest sellers of the Wii.

Sakurai made Mewtwo as DLC because people wanted him to return and even pondered that more could be made as he knows fans look forward to more characters in Smash.

Seems that your logic is "I didn't get what I wanted, therefore the game didn't have what people wanted". Flawed and egocentric as ****. I'm not even bothering to argue with you past this, for it will be a waste of my time.
Except that there are developers out there who consistently give the fans what they want. Like I said, games like Tropical Freeze did not receive backlash on a community-size scale, because the IP was fleshed out quite well. Smash4 has been universally criticised for bias and to a lesser extent game modes that no one wanted.

So no, I have never made a game, but there are people out there who have made games that can give the fans what they want. If Sakurai has to resort to 'have you ever made a game' to justify his baises and displeasing the fanbase then maybe someone else should handle the next game.

ICs
Dr, Mario
Pichu
GaW
ROB
Dark Pitt
DHD

That's seven characters he's put into games that no one asked for ahead of highly requested and more deserving characters. A better director would've given the fans what they actually wanted, rather than putting in what they personally prefer.

I'm not complaining because I didn't get what I want, I'm complaining because he clearly biases certain franchises he's worked with or he personally enjoys. Outside of Mario and Pokemon, how much rep a franchise gets is basically dependent on how much he likes it, rather than how big or important it has been.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
False, he was highly requested by Japan. Yes, they wanted more than a clone, but still
But he wasn't anywhere near the levels of characters like K. Rool or Ridley, or even Dixie. Put it this way, Dark Pitt would not be in the game and KI would not have 3 reps and so much content if the game's developer hadn't worked on KI previously. There's no way such a small and significant franchise would get so much more rep than iconic franchises if the director didn't have a bias towards it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But he wasn't anywhere near the levels of characters like K. Rool or Ridley, or even Dixie. Put it this way, Dark Pitt would not be in the game and KI would not have 3 reps and so much content if the game's developer hadn't worked on KI previously. There's no way such a small and significant franchise would get so much more rep than iconic franchises if the director didn't have a bias towards it.
Actually, Dark Pit scored first place in a popularity poll in a children's magazine, if it was for the general public, the results would be different, and you are implying the clone characters were intended to be put in since the beginning

Except that there are developers out there who consistently give the fans what they want. Like I said, games like Tropical Freeze did not receive backlash on a community-size scale, because the IP was fleshed out quite well. Smash4 has been universally criticised for bias and to a lesser extent game modes that no one wanted.

So no, I have never made a game, but there are people out there who have made games that can give the fans what they want. If Sakurai has to resort to 'have you ever made a game' to justify his baises and displeasing the fanbase then maybe someone else should handle the next game.

ICs
Dr, Mario
Pichu
GaW
ROB
Dark Pitt
DHD

That's seven characters he's put into games that no one asked for ahead of highly requested and more deserving characters. A better director would've given the fans what they actually wanted, rather than putting in what they personally prefer.

I'm not complaining because I didn't get what I want, I'm complaining because he clearly biases certain franchises he's worked with or he personally enjoys. Outside of Mario and Pokemon, how much rep a franchise gets is basically dependent on how much he likes it, rather than how big or important it has been.
Ic gw rob and duck hunt are still unique and beloved characters in smash. the others are clones and therefore free characters. I woild rather have a wide range of characters instead of who is popular.

Yes characters can be popular and unique but that doesnt detract from the retros.

Last edited:
Top Bottom