• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I assume that we're all Rareware fans here, as this is a K. Rool thread. So some of you may not be aware of this.

A team of comprised solely of ex-rare devs are working on a spiritual sequel to classic 3D platformers like Banjo-Kazooie. Grant Kirkhope is also expected to provide music for the game. More to come on Thursday in the Edge magazine.

Follow them on twitter @PlaytonicGames (you can follow me @MLFoxwell if you like /cheapplug). Their website is http://www.playtonicgames.com/

I could not be more hyped for this. BK and BT are my all time favorite games!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, you can see the beak. It's the one with the green eyes.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure it is a bird regardless, but that could be the front creature's ear.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it is a bird regardless, but that could be the front creature's ear.
It is, you can vaugely see the other ear on the opposite side. At least I think so

Also hi, no idea why it took me this long to actually post something in this thread. btw I support Dixie more than K Rool but I think we need both

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What is the front creature, anyway? To me, it kind of looks like some type of lizard.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
It's hard to make out what either of those creatures are. On one hand, it looks like that 'beak' could either be just that - a beak on the rear creature. But on the other, it could also be the front creature's ear. I'm more inclined to believe the former though.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I will never understand why the DK series is incessantly **** on by people in the Nintendo Fan community.
The absence of King K Rool (Or even Dixie Kong) as fighters is honestly CRIMINAL.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
The new playtonic game looks interesting, I wonder what platform it will be on. I may actually have to buy a WiiU now!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Great news regarding platonic. Hey, if this game does come to the wii u, do you know just how much more awesome nintendo will be again? Platonic(aka all the ex. Golden Rare developers) plus Retro Studios(also with some Golden ex. Rare developers, alas David Wise and Michael Kelbaugh)=Best gaming company again. Heck it would be awesome to see Microsoft finally stop making game consoles.

Heck, Nintendo owns the right to all the DKC characters, it's almost a guarantee we'll see the kremlings return now along with maybe some past enemies like zingers, necky's, and gnawty's if they ever have both partys team up to make it, just imagaine, a Rare like Donkey Kong Country game again with new 3-D and HD graphics.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Oh the Playtonic game is without Banjo and Kazooie... even if it's like the other games, without the characters it wouldn't really feel the same to me. :/

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Oh the Playtonic game is without Banjo and Kazooie... even if it's like the other games, without the characters it wouldn't really feel the same to me. :/
Let's just give it a chance, if it works then Platonic will keep making more new games for Nintendo. Heck maybe it'll get to a point where Microsoft will give up and just hand over the Banjo and Conker IP's back, or even better, the original Rare back.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Just bare in mind, there's absolutely no reason to believe right now that the spiritual sequel won't hit Xbone, Steam or PS4.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just bare in mind, there's absolutely no reason to believe right now that the spiritual sequel won't hit Xbone, Steam or PS4.
I can believe the Steam and PS4 part but from what I've read, Microsoft is the main reason why all the main Rare developers left in the first place after they bought out Rare and basically told them to stop doing their own games and make crappy kinect ones.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, guys. We don't even know if it will hit Wii U, either. That said, it'll probably be on all consoles if possible, they'd want this to get maximum exposure.

Don't jump the gun, people. I am a little worried about this team jumping the gun on an announcement without anything to show, but I'd hope that they made significant progress before making such an announcement.

I can believe the Steam and PS4 part but from what I've read, Microsoft is the main reason why all the main Rare developers left in the first place after they bought out Rare and basically told them to stop doing their own games and make crappy kinect ones.
The Kinect thing only happened after Rare continued making their own games but said games failed. Of course, that was Microsoft's fault as well. As I've heard, Rare was working on Banjo-Threeie when Microsoft said "no, let's take this in a different direction," and we got Nuts and Bolts. That's just something I've read, though, take it with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It seems everyone has forgotten about the original spiritual successor...

A Hat in Time
I doubt it, we just haven't heard anything about it in a while. Also its a different team.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Now, we have bought you, because you make tons of money, so, we have a special project! YOU GET NO GAMES! DKC was too hard for my child, so this is my way of making it even!"
"Can we make some games?"
"Fiiiiiine, here's the Kinect, if you want help working with it, you're out of luck, we don't know how it works ourselves"
"Correction, can we make good games for you?"
"FUN?!?NOT ON MICROSOFT SYSTEMS!"

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Yeah, guys. We don't even know if it will hit Wii U, either. That said, it'll probably be on all consoles if possible, they'd want this to get maximum exposure.

Don't jump the gun, people. I am a little worried about this team jumping the gun on an announcement without anything to show, but I'd hope that they made significant progress before making such an announcement.

The Kinect thing only happened after Rare continued making their own games but said games failed. Of course, that was Microsoft's fault as well. As I've heard, Rare was working on Banjo-Threeie when Microsoft said "no, let's take this in a different direction," and we got Nuts and Bolts. That's just something I've read, though, take it with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I doubt it, we just haven't heard anything about it in a while. Also its a different team.
Heck Grant Kirkhope himslef even said that it was Microsoft who ruined Rare in a past interview.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

That game is coming to Nintendo consoles, all platformers do well on Nintendo, and besides that it's ex-Rare employees of course its coming to Nintendo consoles.
What? I never said it was the same team, I was just pointing out that that game was meant to be a spiritual successor as well. :confused:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I heard that someone on the team said they were interested in bringing it to the wii u but I'm pretty sure it's just coming to Steam as of right now

I can't find the article right now but I'm just throwing that out there

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's true I suppose. Frankly I hope it's just a Wii U exclusive. Maybe 3DS too.

I hope it gets a retail release.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Kameo and Viva Pinata were fun games, but I don't think they appealed to Xbox's target audience sadly. All the more reason for Nintendo to buy them back!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Kameo and Viva Pinata were fun games, but I don't think they appealed to Xbox's target audience sadly. All the more reason for Nintendo to buy them back!
I enjoyed Nuts and Bolts for what it was. It was a good game, just not a good Banjo game. I enjoyed GBTG, Kameo and Viva Pinata too.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
As someone who follows and studies video game development there is one golden rule with publishers, and that is never, never let Microsoft take charge of your development.

so, so many horror stories!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I just found an amazing model on Deviantart:
http://fhanel.deviantart.com/art/King-K-Rool-213209414

The only thing it needs is a golden gut and a tail, then it would be perfect.
That model looks amazing. Would be very cool to see that K. Rool render as a Brawl mod.
It's worth noting that Bagan will be taking a well deserved break, as Ridley has just been finished.
He also hasn't definitley said that his next character will be K. Rool. It may be somebody else, but since K. Rool would probably be the most demanded, and already has some Paon models for a new model to be based off of (or one could just be edited and fixed up), I'd guess it would be him.

And for what I think an ideal model should look like, I'd settle for a Paon model changed to look more Rare (mainly a tail, bloodshot eye, and maybe even a longer snout and golden gut).
Though a completely new model would be extremely impressive.

Let's also remember not to pressure Bagan. As said above, he MAY do K. Rool, and as I also said above, he really deserves a break. That Ridley mod is one of the best character mods for I've ever seen, even better than the under appreciated Waluigi mod.
I wonder. Is there any more news of the Waluigi mod? I absolutely can't wait for it. Probably one of the best Brawl mods I've seen along with Bagan's Ridley mod.
I assume that we're all Rareware fans here, as this is a K. Rool thread. So some of you may not be aware of this.

A team of comprised solely of ex-rare devs are working on a spiritual sequel to classic 3D platformers like Banjo-Kazooie. Grant Kirkhope is also expected to provide music for the game. More to come on Thursday in the Edge magazine.

Follow them on twitter @PlaytonicGames (you can follow me @MLFoxwell if you like /cheapplug). Their website is http://www.playtonicgames.com/

I could not be more hyped for this. BK and BT are my all time favorite games!
This has my interest. When will they formally reveal these new characters/game?

Just a little something I've made in honor of our beloved kruel king, which also ties in to Diddy Kong still being "broken". Hell, the description for this very meme on Imgur even described K. Rool as doing this out of revenge because Sakurai kouldn't add him in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. I hope you fellow Kuttthoats enjoy this since it was screencapped from one of the best K. Rool songs in the DKC kartoon IMO.
I highly approve of your avatar and sig.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I never understood why the Rare fanbase always considered the Banjo games better than DK 64. I like both, but I always preferred DK because of all the Kongs and the fact you got to use guns and instruments was really cool.

Top Bottom