• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dunno exactly how they'd deal with all of the finer details, and given that Nintendo's at the helm, they might not be the most optimal of decisions. As far as DK characters go, though, I don't think they'd hesitate to add both simply because of a shared icon if they found the decision to be profitable. And that's the biggest obstacle for K. Rool DLC at the moment, IMO. . .whether Nintendo thinks he's just some niche character that "only a few loud people care about" or a legitimate choice.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Dunno exactly how they'd deal with all of the finer details, and given that Nintendo's at the helm, they might not be the most optimal of decisions. As far as DK characters go, though, I don't think they'd hesitate to add both simply because of a shared icon if they found the decision to be profitable. And that's the biggest obstacle for K. Rool DLC at the moment, IMO. . .whether Nintendo thinks he's just some niche character that "only a few loud people care about" or a legitimate choice.
I think the statement in his trophy about him being DK's Bowser means that he's seen as a legitimate star.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What @ TheAnvil TheAnvil said, and if I recall correctly, weren't the Returns games met with massive critical and commercial acclaim? They seemed pretty hype to me, rather than niche titles to appeal to a select few.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What about an "Expansion Pack" (not of the dong variety) that serves as a UMvC3 equivalent to SSB4?

Looking at the 200 Namco staffers still signed on to work on "Smash 6," as well as how heavily Nintendo is continuing to promote the game everywhere ("Settle it in Smash!"), this would be completely unsurprising to me.

Now this definitely expands the king's dong.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I haven't touched a Donkey Kong game in my life but I prefer Kremlings because they're ****ing rad crocodiles.
I have no nostalgia for Donkey Kong Country.

But militarized and swashbuckling reptiles that are cartoonish enough to steal bananas were infinitely better then the Tikis or Snowmads to me.

for the people who cant play,heres all the stages for "a tribute to donkey kong country"(not my video)......k rool makes a brief appearance in the intro (story book scene) of the game. and there is supposedley something extra for 100% ting the game(the video unfortunatly doesnt show the extra completion bonus).

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
for the people who cant play,heres all the stages for "a tribute to donkey kong country"(not my video)......k rool makes a brief appearance in the intro (story book scene) of the game. and there is supposedley something extra for 100% ting the game(the video unfortunatly doesnt show the extra completion bonus).

Huh. Looks like K. Rool ain't the main antagonist.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna get back into drawing Rool guides. This semester has been stressful as hell, but it's coming to a close very soon.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Huh. Looks like K. Rool ain't the main antagonist.
Actually, if you watch the ending, it says repeatedly "first world." Also, on the World Map you can clearly see a ship after the battle with Arich. The 100% completion bonus is likely a boss against K. Rool, or he's planned to appear in a future world. I think this is literally just the first world of the game, and the rest isn't complete yet.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm gonna get back into drawing Rool guides. This semester has been stressful as hell, but it's coming to a close very soon.
Excellent, your work has always been top-notch, and usually gets a lot of RTs and favorites on Twitter. If you'd like any suggestions of moves to illustrate, I'll be more than happy to supply.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Alright, I plan on getting a Dkc game on the VC, which game should be my first?
I played the first 'un first and the second 'un second just to see how much they've developed and improved throughout the years.

I'd say start with the first 'un first and then do the second 'un second as I did. You'll appreciate just how far the games have come if you try it that way. Plus the first game is difficult in certain parts, but the second game ratchets up the difficulty to some hella mad degrees.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Actually, if you watch the ending, it says repeatedly "first world." Also, on the World Map you can clearly see a ship after the battle with Arich. The 100% completion bonus is likely a boss against K. Rool, or he's planned to appear in a future world. I think this is literally just the first world of the game, and the rest isn't complete yet.
Oh, I know, but I am saying that Krobot is the main antagonist.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I played the first 'un first and the second 'un second just to see how much they've developed and improved throughout the years.

I'd say start with the first 'un first and then do the second 'un second as I did. You'll appreciate just how far the games have come if you try it that way. Plus the first game is difficult in certain parts, but the second game ratchets up the difficulty to some hella mad degrees.
I tried to beat the second DKC before the first to see if was easier so I could learn the mechanics. Boy, could anyone be more wrong. It wasn't until the ice world till I struggled but in DKC2 the second boss was really, really hard!

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So just submitted my Smash U club Nintendo registration, here's what I put

"I also have high hopes that I will eventually be able to play as DK's iconic nemesis King K.Rool, even if by DLC, the second most recurring villain in all of Nintendo second only to Bowser"

Chase

Smash Ace

"I also have high hopes that I will eventually be able to play as DK's iconic nemesis King K.Rool, even if by DLC, the second most recurring villain in all of Nintendo second only to Bowser"
^^this statement isn't accurate.

He's the second-most recurring villain in the greater Mario universe. Not Nintendo.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace

Isn't :4ganondorf: the second most reoccurring villain? I'm certain that K. Rool is most evil villain at Nintendo.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
^^this statement isn't accurate.

He's the second-most recurring villain in the greater Mario universe. Not Nintendo.
Correct. Someone ran the numbers in here before, and K. Rool is middle-of-the-road, appearance-wise, compared to other Nintendo villains.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
:4bowserjr:

:awesome:

EDIT: and
:4bowserjr: and the Koopa Kids mostly appear as:4bowser: right-hand men in most games right now. :4bowserjr: did play baddy in Sunshine while his dad pwas the final boss.

Kamek in the :4yoshi: games is the main villain most of the time. :4bowser: has took his place a few times, but not too much?

Absolutely not. Ganondorf, excluding remakes has appeared in 3 Zelda games.
I thought Ganon and dorf counted as the same person.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
:4bowserjr: and the Koopa Kids mostly appear as:4bowser: right-hand men in most games right now. :4bowserjr: did play baddy in Sunshine while his dad pwas the final boss.

Kamek in the :4yoshi: games is the main villain most of the time. :4bowser: has took his place a few times, but not too much?
Final Bosses or not, they are still villains.
But yeah, I don't care, I just want K.Rool.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I thought Ganon and dorf counted as the same person.
Not in Smash Bros. If that was the case, Ganondorf would be marked in Smash as making his first appearance at the same time as Zelda/Link, which he's not.

D

Deleted member

Ganondorf and Ganon are counted as the same individual. The only reason why Ganondorf isn't marked under the original title like Link and Zelda are because the Ganondorf identity wasn't established until Ocarina of Time.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ganondorf and Ganon are counted as the same individual. The only reason why Ganondorf isn't marked under the original title like Link and Zelda are because the Ganondorf identity wasn't established until Ocarina of Time.
To add onto this, Sheik and Zelda are explicitly (within Smash and elsewhere) the same person yet are separated within All Star.

Link and Zelda also have their Twilight Princess appearance, yet appear for the very first Zelda game. It's more-so when the name first appeared, as evident with Captain Falcon (who only appeared by name, but was never actually in the first F-Zero).

D

Deleted member

To add onto this, Sheik and Zelda are explicitly (within Smash and elsewhere) the same person yet are separated within All Star.

Link and Zelda also have their Twilight Princess appearance, yet appear for the very first Zelda game. It's more-so when the name first appeared, as evident with Captain Falcon (who only appeared by name, but was never actually in the first F-Zero).
The biggest case being Donkey Kong, who conceptually debuted back in 1981 alongside Mario, but the character known as "Donkey Kong" in Smash didn't debut until Donkey Kong Country. With the former "Donkey Kong" from 81 becoming "Cranky Kong".

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically, the Ganondorf "identity" was first established in A Link to the Past. That name was first used in LTTP and established him as a human transformed into a beast named Ganon. Naturally, said human form later appeared in OOT.

Isn't :4ganondorf: the second most reoccurring villain? I'm certain that K. Rool is most evil villain at Nintendo.
I'd actually argue that K. Rool is the second most evil villain in Nintendo, Ganondorf is definitely the most evil.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Technically, the Ganondorf "identity" was first established in A Link to the Past. That name was first used in LTTP and established him as a human transformed into a beast named Ganon. Naturally, said human form later appeared in OOT.
Yeah, that's true.
Though a "Ganondorf's" first appearance was in OoT, so that is probably why the game is credited as the debut.

I'd actually argue that K. Rool is the second most evil villain in Nintendo, Ganondorf is definitely the most evil.
Though what of the likes of Cyrus, Ghetsis, and Lysandre?

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace

Actually I think that K. Rool is more evil than Ganondorf. Ganondorf is just a lot more ambitious.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Could a case be made that K. Rool might not be the most "evil" villain, per se, but the most irredeemable based on his actions?

Nonstop pollution, torturous treatment of both foes and allies, remorseless punishment and death penalties for insubordinate minions, imperialistic tendencies, waging a war of attrition through starving the Kongs, frequent kidnappings, disregard for life, general hatred and d***ishness, dishonesty and cheating. . .

When we had this discussion in here a while back, the only remotely "positive" quality K. Rool has that anyone came up with was "he looks like he's having fun when he's being evil." That's when you know there's a strong case to be made.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
King K. Rool is by far the most evil Nintendo villain.

Ganondorf is the King of Evil, but look at his characterization. He originally went after the Triforce to help his people, it's clear that he cared about them, remember his monologue at the end of Wind Waker. He started as a not-so good man doing bad things for a good cause, only to eventually be corrupted by the power he obtained. While he's surely evil now, he still has a sense of honor.

King K. Rool on the other hand, lives up to his name. He treats his own people as throwaway tools to further himself, he does bad things for the sake of bad things. He has no ulterior motive other than to kill the Kongs, he has no qualms with stooping to dirty tricks, which are practically his signature. He's truly mad, with nothing to gain but satisfaction from his deeds.

Bowser goes karting with his nemesis on a regular basis. Even discounting that, he only kidnaps Peach because of infatuation.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Could a case be made that K. Rool might not be the most "evil" villain, per se, but the most irredeemable based on his actions?

Nonstop pollution, torturous treatment of both foes and allies, remorseless punishment and death penalties for insubordinate minions, imperialistic tendencies, waging a war of attrition through starving the Kongs, frequent kidnappings, disregard for life, general hatred and d***ishness, dishonesty and cheating. . .

When we had this discussion in here a while back, the only remotely "positive" quality K. Rool has that anyone came up with was "he looks like he's having fun when he's being evil." That's when you know there's a strong case to be made.
I was originally typing this post to argue Bowser as a contender...but:

-Bowser is nice to most of his minions. But they're still terrified of him if they screw up, including Bowser Jr.
-He never imposes death to his insubordinate minions. The worst that trio in Bowser's Inside Story got...was a punishment.
-He kidnaps Peach out of some love, not out of malicious intent, as far as I know. See: (ugh) Mario Sunshine, Super Paper Mario.
-Bowser gets outright furious if you harm Bowser Jr or the Koopalings. For a quick example of the former, see the final boss in New Super Mario Bros. It's expressed through the sudden difficulty spike.
-It's hypocritically heartwarming, but he enforces that no one kidnaps Peach or defeats Mario(especially the latter, see SM64DS) without his say-so. See: Dark Bowser, Count Bleck, Fawful.
-Go Karting With Bowser. See: Every spinoff.
-Bowser never wants to destroy the world, just Rool(I'm lame) it. This is HIS world(if you make the sonic reference I murder you :^) ) to do as he pleases, and Bowser will be a Goomba's uncle before he lets anybody destroy it. See: Dark Bowser, Shroobs, Cackletta.
-He's not above working with villains for shared goals or immediate situations. Antasma doesn't count. See: his last second moment with O'Chunks in Super Paper Mario.
-Most importantly, which defeats the case altogether, he has saved Mario's life and teamed up with him on more than one occasion willingly to defeat a greater evil. See: Bowser's Inside Story*(unwillingly), this* cutscene from Super Mario Sluggers. Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario, god knows how many others, The Subspace Emissary even though it's not Mario who convinces him.

*Worth noting in cases like these is that Mario and co. has shown kindness to Bowser. I'll sound like a sissy, but I do feel sad in a happy way for the guy when that happens.

Capture.PNG <---CAN YOU NOT FEEL BAD FOR THAT. And probably because of that, he saves Mario's life a bit later. That's gratitude right there.

So yeah, I defeated my own argument lol. No contest.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Isn't Ridley much worse than K. Rool, though?
Ridley still has some form of honor. He respects any and all who are more powerful than him. Hell, if it weren't for the fact that Samus hates his guts, he would follow her orders. K. Rool has no honor though. Absolutely none. Ridley also still respects his crew. And he still has a motive that isn't complete destruction of his enemy. So I would say that even Ridley is better than K. Rool. That says a lot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Isn't Ridley much worse than K. Rool, though?
Caveat of my unfamiliarity with Metroid out there. . .I'd say Ridley is as bad, but based on his potential for evil/offscreen actions, rather than what we've actually seen him do. Ridley killed Samus' parents and wiped out a colony (to my knowledge). . .K. Rool had one minion killed (that we know of), inadvertently killed countless Kremlings when Crocodile Isle sunk (due to his refusal to accept defeat and not rematch the Kongs), and was fully prepared to destroy all of both DK Island and the Mechanical Crocodile Isle by firing an unstable Blast-o-Matic (and also wipe out all of Planet Plateon or whatever it's called in Jungle Climber). He's not as directly murderous as Ridley, but he's responsible for a hell of a lot of death and devastation nonetheless.

All the more reason to want to harness that sort of destructive power in Smash with both characters, heh.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Ridley loves carnage and violence. He simply just enjoys killing and destruction. I don't think K. Rool does evil because he enjoys it, I think he does because he has a sociopathic disregard for everyone but himself. If he wants something, it'll happen, no matter how many Kremlings or Kongs it takes. They're just means to an end. His end. AKA, the only one that matters.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Ridley loves carnage and violence. He simply just enjoys killing and destruction. I don't think K. Rool does evil because he enjoys it, I think he does because he has a sociopathic disregard for everyone but himself. If he wants something, it'll happen, no matter how many Kremlings or Kongs it takes. They're just means to an end. His end. AKA, the only one that matters.
Don't forget that Ridley takes orders (probably mind-lessly) from Mother Brain.

I'm curious. Do tell.
NO! Don't spoil! Knowing that he's suppose to be a d****** is enough.

Top Bottom