• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
So sakurai has stated he doesn't want to make another smash bros game, thoughts anyone?
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-says-he-does-think-hell-make-another-smash-bros-game
This would mean that a new director may be on the way. But this is also a chance for sakurai to give the rights to the series to Nintendo of America, but I can't help but imagining a scenario where sakurai becomes jealous all because he isn't at the helm of making the choices like he is used to.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
To get back to K. Rool related stuff. I've noticed that King Dedede has two remixes of his theme on two different kirby stages. It is possible now to still get a ganplank galleon stage with say, a rock version of his theme from dkc1 as well for dlc. Also with that could come crocodile cacophony. His boss battle from donkey kong land and maybe some dkc2 ship levels as well as a possible remix of all his boss battle game themes.

D

Deleted member

How about a DKC K. Rool medley that features the fight on Gangplank Galleon, the Kaptain fight and the Baron fight?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
How about a DKC K. Rool medley that features the fight on Gangplank Galleon, the Kaptain fight and the Baron fight?
I've always wanted to hear Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony mixed together somehow.

Never thought about throwing the third one into the mix though.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Speaking of K. Rool Smash medley remixes, found this on youtube. It's of his battle from DKL and DKC1 the timing at 1:36 is perfect imo.

Last edited:

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
(comes back with big beard, long nails and bloodshot eyes) Well, I've been really playing the crap out of Smash Bros and I thought HEY, it's been awhile since I've been on the internet. I was kind of busy unlocking trophies from the DK series and am probably missing out on some more and as I was gazing at the trophies It reminded me how colorful and diverse the DK franchise truly is during it's long run. From the classic items, the Rareware Country series and Kremlings, the animal buddies, the Kongs from 64, The Tikis and animal bosses from Returns and the Snomads from Tropical Freeze. Now that I think about it I don't have anything from Jungle Beat but that's still a pretty damn impressive history! Such good history that I still want the Kremlings back.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Do any of you guys think we'll get more dlc characters announced prior to Mewtwo's release next year?

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Hopefully. I am somewhat worried though. The way he worded the PotD, he seems to be indicating that he is leaving development once Mewtwo is done.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hopefully. I am somewhat worried though. The way he worded the PotD, he seems to be indicating that he is leaving development once Mewtwo is done.
Isn't there grounds for believing that Namco is taking over DLC work from here on in? Sakurai has probably greenlit anything that needs to be done, I think his hands-on work is finished for right now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Isn't there grounds for believing that Namco is taking over DLC work from here on in? Sakurai has probably greenlit anything that needs to be done, I think his hands-on work is finished for right now.
Pretty much. Namco posted up a job listing saying they have 120 people working on the game and are bumping it up to 200 for "Smash 6." Sakurai is clearly indicating he's leaving development, likely to work on something else. He also stated there's "hundreds" of people working on the game.

There are several different companies working on the game. So, here's how the breakdown probably goes:

120 from Namco.

Everyone from HAL Laboratories, however many that may be.

A few people here and there from other Nintendo subsidiaries.

Everyone but the Namco people leave the game, so they need to hire more to do the DLC packs. Probably freelancers, since DLC will be temporary anyway.

Makes logical sense.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai leaving and Namco staying is quite possibly the best thing Donkey Kong series fans could hope for. The former has demonstrated his apathy toward the series time and time again, while the latter has shown their fandom, be it through obscure character cameos in Konga to playable Kongs and Kremlings infesting Sluggers. Maybe Namco will have more creative freedom now that they hopefully have more free reign over what they make.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
King K. Rool > Lord Frederick = Tiki Tong

I love Retro Studios and all, but I'm not that fond of their original creations since they were "inferior" and forgettable IMO. I'll just requote my rant on the villains from another topic.

Dixie vs. K. Rool is a sad topic to think about, especially since the former beats out the latter in terms of relevance. If Retro went out of their way to have iconic enemies like Zoomers and Ridley in Mwtroid prime, then I don't see why the hell can can't have the Kremlings in the Returns saga. I mean, literally nobody cared about the Tiki Tak Tribe (Tiki Tong is the worst Donkey Kong villain in history) and the Snowmads will be long forgotten in four years.

Whenever I see Lord Frederick, It's think of him as a horrible reminder of how much Retro hates the K. Rool. Based on his actions alone, he's a shameless ripoff that was made to make you think of him as a "proper replacement". It's like the developers were saying "Hey guys, want King K. Rool in Tropical Freeze? Nope! Then how about a bloated helmet wearing edgy walrus instead!".

Things would be much different if Retro even bother having him in the games instead of these wooden puppets and forgettable tundra animals. :rolleyes:

Having the Kremlings back in DKC Returns 3 is a must for those reasons alone.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Sakurai leaving and Namco staying is quite possibly the best thing Donkey Kong series fans could hope for. The former has demonstrated his apathy toward the series time and time again, while the latter has shown their fandom, be it through obscure character cameos in Konga to playable Kongs and Kremlings infesting Sluggers. Maybe Namco will have more creative freedom now that they hopefully have more free reign over what they make.
My expert impartial perspective here would be that Sakurai probably had a general concept in his head of what was going to be DLC after Smash 4's release. Prior to his departure, he sat down with the dev team and discussed what would work, and concepts for characters, stages and what have you were suggested and the best were worked on thereafter. Presumably, if this is the case, Sakurai has already given them the go-ahead to work away on whatever has generally agreed upon to be an okay concept and that, otherwise, they are free to do what they like within such essential guidelines.

I'unno, I'm just spitballin' here. Would be nice to think that the fine folk at Nam-Nam are indeed fans of the Donkey Kong series and will give it a fighting chance in Nintendo's all-star fighting game.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
For the artists out there, Rare retweets fan art every Friday, might be a good chance to get K Rool up there.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My expert impartial perspective here would be that Sakurai probably had a general concept in his head of what was going to be DLC after Smash 4's release. Prior to his departure, he sat down with the dev team and discussed what would work, and concepts for characters, stages and what have you were suggested and the best were worked on thereafter. Presumably, if this is the case, Sakurai has already given them the go-ahead to work away on whatever has generally agreed upon to be an okay concept and that, otherwise, they are free to do what they like within such essential guidelines.

I'unno, I'm just spitballin' here. Would be nice to think that the fine folk at Nam-Nam are indeed fans of the Donkey Kong series and will give it a fighting chance in Nintendo's all-star fighting game.
I'm pretty sure this would've been the case, honestly. They probably already decided who would be the best picks for DLC characters.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
At the very least if Retro took the helm we'd get some half-decent Metroid and DK rep. K Rool might be a bit up in the air, but I think in general Retro would easily be the best bet for a new Smash developer. Plus they'd be a lot more willing to fix a lot of the mistakes that Sakurai is stupidly stubborn about, like ****ing Ganondorf.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For the artists out there, Rare retweets fan art every Friday, might be a good chance to get K Rool up there.
Just tagged them in a good fanart tweet, let's see if they like it.

Yeah, clearly Namco won't be able to just do whatever they want, and I'm sure a control freak of Sakurai's caliber would want to instill certain guidelines within them. Hopefully it won't be in terms of "You can add these characters, but not these ones, because the 'correct' way to represent them just isn't unique!"

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
I just looked at your tweet, I think the link is 404'd.

Also try to add #FanArtFriday if you have the room.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm somewhat conflicted. Even though Sakurai (apparently) doesn't want to give the DK franchise anything more than DK, Diddy, and the umpteenth edition of Jungle Hijinx, he's still the guy that brought us pretty damn accurate renditions of characters. Besides DK himself not having much outside of his hand slap and (finally) his roll, Diddy was one of the biggest shout-outs to DKC. From his animations being near 1-1, his weapons being from DK 64, and even the unique "clapping" animation he had in Brawl.

While Namco have obviously been throwing lots of love to the Kremlings, I'm not sure if we would get the King that we all know and love... Or a tailless Wart with a baseball moveset. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, maybe they'll actually pull off something better than we ever imagined, but I still feel like something would be missing if Sakurai really leaves.

Or I'm just being needlessly pessimistic.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The fact that Namco continued on the classic trend of K. Rool getting a new costume in a spin-off baseball game where it really wasn't necessary makes me think they're well-aware of the character's background, and would be capable of implementing it well in Smash.

It's not exactly rocket science to give Diddy his iconic DK64 moves. . .virtually every moveset for the character before his inclusion featured them in some way or another. What's more, for every Diddy Sakurai designed, there's a Wario or Ganondorf as well.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Made a Kritter Mii and decided to make him a fighter in Super Smash Bros, named him Kutlass, the sword wielding pirate kremling from DKC2, closest to K. Rool being in SSB4 at the moment.
kutlass mii.jpg

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

jk lol

Looks noice.
Believe me if I you could make your mii's color red or green then I would've done it as well as given him a tail. Black and brown was the other closest I could get(kritters did come in in those colors in DKC1 as well)

Still, thanks lol.

Believe me if I you could make your mii's color red or green then I would've done it as well as given him a tail. Black and brown was the other closest I could get(kritters did come in in those colors in DKC1 as well)

Still, thanks lol.
someone should try and draw k rool using the smash bros 4 picture painting thing,i remember some one made a banjo and kazooie using the paint and it looked good. i tried and failed.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
King K. Rool > Lord Frederick = Tiki Tong

I love Retro Studios and all, but I'm not that fond of their original creations since they were "inferior" and forgettable IMO. I'll just requote my rant on the villains from another topic.
Having the Kremlings back in DKC Returns 3 is a must for those reasons alone.
The Snowmads have just as much personality as the Kremlings. People just like the Kremlings more because of nostalgia.

On another note, I suppose the silver lining to K. Rool not being in the game yet is that if he does ever get in, his moveset will be better than had he got into a previous installment. There's a significant increase in quality in the richness and complexity of movesets now that Namco is on board. If you look at characters like Villager, Jr., Megaman, Palutena, their movesets are far more complex than the incredibly bland movesets that Sakurai made by himself.

If K. Rool had got into a previous installment where Sakurai designed him alone, he'd probably have an incredibly bland brawler-style moveset like DK or Bowser. Whereas at least now with Namco on board, he has a good shot of having a ton of canonical and creative moves.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Snowmads have just as much personality as the Kremlings. People just like the Kremlings more because of nostalgia.

On another note, I suppose the silver lining to K. Rool not being in the game yet is that if he does ever get in, his moveset will be better than had he got into a previous installment. There's a significant increase in quality in the richness and complexity of movesets now that Namco is on board. If you look at characters like Villager, Jr., Megaman, Palutena, their movesets are far more complex than the incredibly bland movesets that Sakurai made by himself.

If K. Rool had got into a previous installment where Sakurai designed him alone, he'd probably have an incredibly bland brawler-style moveset like DK or Bowser. Whereas at least now with Namco on board, he has a good shot of having a ton of canonical and creative moves.
I haven't touched a Donkey Kong game in my life but I prefer Kremlings because they're ****ing rad crocodiles.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Snowmads?

Sure.

Lord Fredrick?

Almost none.
Fredrik's got the "big burly Viking warlord" thing down pat. So from that perspective, yeah, he does his role admirably.

The issues there are that it's a fairly common archetype and it has a hell of a time matching up to K. Rool. K. Rool's got the wry charm and cartoony charisma that the other villains just can't match up to.

I actually like Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrik. I think they're fun and well-designed villains. The thing is, try as they might to stand out from the crowd, they just don't leave a lasting impression - Tiki Tong is pretty generic in the grand scheme of things and Fredrik represents an archetype we've seen countless times before that seldom has anything new to offer. If you can summarise your entire personality in a few staple buzzwords, chances are you're not going to be much of a complex character, and compared to somebody as indescribably absurd and hauntingly memorable as K. Rool, that's playing a dangerous game.

Maybe it's because they're both designed to fill in for the traditional Big Bad and therefore aren't going to stick around for long, but I agree, neither of them really stand out from the crowd. We'll have to wait and see what Retro does next and whereabouts they'll go in terms of developing the canon and the personalities of the characters further.

Chase

Smash Ace
Ugh, I had an amazing dream last night. It was a trailer for DKCR3, and it had Kremlings!

The trailer began with Donkey Kong in some sort of castle-esque location, with a bunch of platforms above water. Everything seemed peaceful until they reached the end of the level, where the floor gave way and DK ended up in this pit. DK looks forward and sees a swarm of new Kremlings, lead by Klump, who prepare to pounce on him. However, DK isn't alone, as Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Lanky, and Kiddy all run alongside him, and they begin to fight, As they battle the swarm of Kremlings, Lanky and Kiddy's capabilties are shown, Lanky being able to reach very far to grab ledges, and Kiddy causing tremors when DK jumps, but making him heavier and slower. Finally, they've fought all the Kremlings, but Klump escapes and returns to a base, where a reptillian finger presses a button. DK and the other Kongs are sent sprawling into the air, and a large boxing glove whacks them away from the castle. The screen then goes black, but an ominous laugh is heard and two asymmetrical eyes and a toothy grin flash on screen before fading away.

That would be so hype!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I Had a dream. It was the February Nintendo Direct. They stated that there would be two more smash dlc packs. A villain pack and a hero pack. They stated that the characters in these packs would be loved and would be out after August. We see that Lucas is in the Heroes pack and Wolf is in the Villains pack. Then, a dual trailer. You see Diddy and DK in the Jungle, when suddenly a kannonball hits them, they fly onto the beach, disturbing the delightful beach party of Greninja, ZSS, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Mario, Link, Zelda, and Captain Falcon. A figure flies in and throws a klaptrap down, scaring Duck Hunt, who is attacked by it. A Crown boomerang knocks link, ZSS and Mario Down. The character then flies in "King K Rool Krashes the Party" Cue gameplay. Just as it seems like it is over, with king k rool and DK about to lunge at each other, a storm of leaves knocks king k rool away. DK looks over, seeing who stopped their clash. It is Sceptile "Sceptile spreads his roots" cue gameplay. After trailers, cue Sakurai. He explains the movesets of the characters a little, and states there would be stages for both packs, with Gangplank Galleon, Bowser's Castle, Forsaken Fortress, and Venom tour (star fox) for Villains pack and Victory Road, Chimera Factory, Red Canyon Drive (F Zero), and Lor Starcutter for heroes pack. He then stated that he had one final reward would be added to show his support of the fans, which he then showed as Ice Climbers and Roy (who is now a semi clone), who would come in a pack of their own featuring stages such as Ice Climber (8 Bit), Dreamland, Pokemon Stadium, and Frigate Orpheon. He stated that these packs would come with music added to the game,

If this was real, what would you all think

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
An ideal scenario would be a DK pack. Dixie and K. Rool playable, Gangplank Galleon stage (along with new remixes that aren't fifty different versions of Jungle Hijinx), some Assist Trophies, and of course a badass CGI trailer to go along with it.

Of course this is all absolutely never going to happen and we'll probably be lucky to get just K. Rool by himself, but I can dream.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Fortunately for K. Rool, he's an iconic character (an A-lister, for sure), who also has plenty of potential to be a unique fighter, while also being completely left out of any in-game role (like Ridley, Waluigi, Chrom etc).

He's honestly one of the most likely Smash newcomers. Literally the only thing standing in his way right now for potential DLC is the competition he faces in his own franchise. As much as I think there should be more, I'm not sure I can see Nintendo adding more than one DK newcomer to the game as DLC.

I'd be content with either Dixie or K. Rool being the 3rd DK rep, but I'll still lean more towards Dixie being likely.

An ideal scenario would be a DK pack. Dixie and K. Rool playable, Gangplank Galleon stage (along with new remixes that aren't fifty different versions of Jungle Hijinx), some Assist Trophies, and of course a badass CGI trailer to go along with it.

Of course this is all absolutely never going to happen and we'll probably be lucky to get just K. Rool by himself, but I can dream.
Yes, a DK pack would be VERY ideal.
That's the only way I see them adding more than one DK newcomer (maybe throw Cranky in too, with his pogo ability).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes, a DK pack would be VERY ideal.
That's the only way I see them adding more than one DK newcomer (maybe throw Cranky in too, with his pogo ability).
What about an "Expansion Pack" (not of the dong variety) that serves as a UMvC3 equivalent to SSB4?

Looking at the 200 Namco staffers still signed on to work on "Smash 6," as well as how heavily Nintendo is continuing to promote the game everywhere ("Settle it in Smash!"), this would be completely unsurprising to me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What about an "Expansion Pack" (not of the dong variety) that serves as a UMvC3 equivalent to SSB4?

Looking at the 200 Namco staffers still signed on to work on "Smash 6," as well as how heavily Nintendo is continuing to promote the game everywhere ("Settle it in Smash!"), this would be completely unsurprising to me.
Same. I actually think that an Expansion Pack is the next-most likely thing after mere DLC.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I think it's fairly plausible. I mean, we had Super Luigi Bros. U, which isn't far off what a "Super Super Smash Bros." would be, and it could be that Nintendo is going to experiment with DLC methods to try and find the best way to provide it. After all, Nintendo are still new to DLC, having only got into DLC for major games this year.

IF that is the case though, I'm still not sure exactly how that would fare for DK getting more than one new character. I suppose it would depend on the amount of characters that they'd provide (I couldn't conservatively see more than 12, and I'd expect many to be clones and/or cut vets).

And the issues that it could present for people who already bought both the 3DS and Wii U versions, would they have to buy the game twice more? Would it even be released on 3DS? etc.

Top Bottom