• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, Zelda fans want their Ganon back to. Why can't the DKC fans have their K.Rool?
Not saying he shouldn't come back at all. Good stuff is best enjoyed in moderation, is all I'm sayin'.

Also, Zelda fans haven't gotten "their Ganon" back just yet.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker remakes surely help him stay in the picture as the head villain of the series. Wish I could say the same with K.Rool. And seeing how a lot of popular N64 games where remade ; Mario 64, StarFox 64, Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing - I just find it kinda weird DK64 didn't get this treatment.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker remakes surely help him stay in the picture as the head villain of the series. Wish I could say the same with K.Rool. And seeing how a lot of popular N64 games where remade ; Mario 64, StarFox 64, Ocarina of Time, Diddy Kong Racing - I just find it kinda weird DK64 didn't get this treatment.
I imagine it might have something to do with the DK Arcade/Jetpac games included in them. Or maybe having to negotiate with Rare.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Tiki Tong was one of the worst bosses in video game history. His style is cliche, and reminds me exactly of the head enemy with hands from kirby.

It was NOT a good boss by any means

It was a lazily done boss fight
Its an overused Nintendo boss concept that's been in atleast 7 games, and the fight still had more to it than:
Step 1:Throw crown
Step 2:Run to the left
Step 3:Repeat Step 1.
Step 4:Run to the right
Step 5:Repeat steps 2, 1
Step 6:Repeat Steps 4, 2, 4
Step 7: Repeat Step 1
Phase 2
Step 8: Jump to the left end
Step 9: Rain Cannonballs from the left
Step 10: Repeat step 1
Step 11: Hop to the right end
Step 12: Rain Cannonballs from the right
Step 13: Repeat Steps 9, 1
Step 14: Repeat steps 8, 9, 12, 9, 1
Step 13: Play dead
Phase 3
Step 14: Hop to the right
Step 15: Repeat Step 1
Step 16: Hop to the left
Step 17: Repeat Steps 14, 1, 16, 14, 16, 1

You beat the game.
Look, I recognize that, and I also recognize that I had a great deal of fun with the game, and that the levels were excellently designed. You might misunderstand my issue, or I misunderstand your issue with my issue, but my complaint about K. Rool missing and the characters is that the other DKC games built up on the characters that we really got to know, and since DKCR was supposed to be a revival, not seeing that was a big disappointment in my eyes.

I just don't understand why the Kremlings had to be replaced. They could have easily been in the game and it could have the same or a similar plot, and all the fans would have been happy. That, and once again I found the Tiki's to not have any personality compared to the Kremlings. K. Rool from the very beginning was built up to be a scheming douche, but a blundering scheming douche. It doesn't matter because it's done, but as long as the Kremlings aren't gone forever, I'm honestlly not bothered.

Edit: What's wrong with Candy and Swanky? :cool:
Sorry about that. I guess frequently reading comments and posts on various sites about what Returns didn't have started to pile up in my mind. I feel that even though a handful of my favorite things weren't in, Returns did a great job with what they did revive with Cranky's personality, the music, the levels, barrel 'puzzles', mine carts, difficulty and Rambi. It felt like a DKC game even though it had its own things and didn't return all the old stuff.

Oh, and Candy's waaaay too sexualized. Swanky's a saleskong with DK's face.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Simple sollution: remove Jetpack.

If the game is on a Nintendo console I see no problem with the DK Arcade anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wouldn't have had a single problem with the game if Tiki Tong was NOT the final boss.

If he was just an ordinary boss, I would have been ok with it. A final boss that's so generic just irritated me the moment I saw him.

I liked the rest of the game, and didn't have much of a problem

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If the game is on a Nintendo console I see no problem with the DK Arcade anyway.
I imagine Nintendo wouldn't want to cut into DK VC sales, especially since the DK64 version is an emulated arcade game.

And yeah, removing Jetpac shouldn't be that hard. I imagine the lack of a remake is possibly because Nintendo doesn't see as much interest in non-Mario 3D platformers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well considering how many NES games they put into Animal Crossing games, I don't think that'd be a problem. A lot of Metroid games also had the original Metroid playable in it. Should be no problem at all.

Tiki Tong would've been best as a battle you fight BEFORE the Final Boss. Seriously, even Ghastly King was better than that.

Note: even though I dislike the game, I still kinda like the Punch Out-like battle style of Jungle Beat. And hope they do something more with this in the series. It's surprisingly fitting even though the rest of the game shouldn't even be labelled as a DK game.

And seeing as I love sharing pictures:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm just hoping they do a DKC Anniversary edition at one point, removing all the Rare copyrighted bits, and making the trilogy fully theirs. Once again, as long as my favorite villain isn't forever neglected, Returns will have a special place in my heart for being awesome with a couple flaws.

Those mine levels are hard!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well considering how many NES games they put into Animal Crossing games, I don't think that'd be a problem. A lot of Metroid games also had the original Metroid playable in it. Should be no problem at all.
But they've stopped doing that since they launched the VC.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, Zelda fans want their Ganon back to. Why can't the DKC fans have their K.Rool?
They didn't for a while though. After TP they were complaining that Ganon was appearing too much.

People don't know what they want and will often complain just to complain.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well Twilight Princess had Ganondorf appear in the final moment of the game without him being an actual villain much throughout the whole story. That's why Zelda fans complained mostly. Also, the final battle against Ganondorf in Twilight Princess was laughable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Fanbases are too divided sometimes. *coughjustlikethesmashbrosfanbasecough*

Oh well, it wouldn't be any fun if everyone had the exact same opinion anyway's.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, Ganondorf is in a better situation than K. Rool, because there are plenty of references to Ganondorf in Skyward Sword, even Demise himself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Big fat chance Ganondorf will get back in Zelda Wii U though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey, my prediction is that Camelot or even Sakurai is next with DKC, if Retro doesn't pick it up again, so I'm sure K. Rool'll be back too

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My disappointment with DKCR's lack of Kremlings has faded over time, considering how great an impact the game made as a whole, specifically in solidifying that any DK games we get from here on out will be designed after the Country series. And if K. Rool couldn't make it into that game, at least no one else worthy of playability did either, so he remained the frontrunner of what became an even larger franchise (one people already claimed was low on Smash representation).

K. Rool in SSB4 locks him into the DK franchise, since the Smash content of all but the Big Three series essentially becomes the default in players' eyes. Unless, of course, Miyamoto continues his scorched-earth crusade against K. Rool, overriding Masahiro "I make all decisions, no one else" Sakurai to ensure K. Rool never gets another game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, I'm still less convinced it was Miyamoto rather than Retro wanting to be different. Why would Miyamoto not have overruled K. Rool's presence in Super Sluggers, for instance?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
See, I'm still less convinced it was Miyamoto rather than Retro wanting to be different. Why would Miyamoto not have overruled K. Rool's presence in Super Sluggers, for instance?
Miyamoto told Retro to definitely keep Cranky and the original music, but let them decide everything else, which they decided to redesign from scratch. The Miyamoto bit largely comes from that decade(?) old interview where he allegedly claimed DKC was mediocre except for its graphics (a claim he brought up himself and refuted in a more recent 2010 interview).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He just backed off cause he was thinking he was cool and **** by bashing DKC, yet everyone hated him for that comment. :laugh: Probably still upset that DKC did better than Yoshi's Island.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Miyamoto told Retro to definitely keep Cranky and the original music, but let them decide everything else, which they decided to redesign from scratch. The Miyamoto bit largely comes from that decade(?) old interview where he allegedly claimed DKC was mediocre except for its graphics (a claim he brought up himself and refuted in a more recent 2010 interview).
I think the DK vine was responsible for that rumor.

It doesn't help he told rare to make dinosaur planeta Star Fox game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it was definitely Miyamoto that said something in the example of 'DKC is a prime example of a game with mediocre gameplay but is liked cause of the graphics'. And of coarse DKVine is not gonna take such a comment positively.

bobadz

Smash Ace
No it was definitely Miyamoto that said something in the example of 'DKC is a prime example of a game with mediocre gameplay but is liked cause of the graphics'. And of coarse DKVine is not gonna take such a comment positively.
I know Miyamoto said that. I think the "Miyamoto said to remove every thing from the previous games xcept DK, Diddy, and Cranky" was rumor someone there made up.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, I think this just shows he's more indifferent to DKC's characters than anything. I think he may have had a bitterness towards it for getting better ratings than Yoshi's Island, but that was 20 years ago. It seems to me that he just wanted to put it in someone's hands, but that Cranky and Diddy had grown on him. I don't see an anti-Kremling crusade here.

Infact, this makes me more convinced of Sakurai's ability to revitalize the Kremlings, and that the lack of K. Rool rests on Retro wanting to be different. (This situation is zero different from Nintendo EAD and Jungle Beat (Which we ALSO got a port of before Brawl). I totally believe DK Vine's hand in this, they're cray-cray sometimes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I know Miyamoto said that. I think the "Miyamoto said to remove every thing from the previous games xcept DK, Diddy, and Cranky" was rumor someone there made up.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=148042

Interesting tidbits on DKCR, including the bit about Cranky. Miyamoto never said to remove a thing; Miyamoto's quote and K. Rool's absence are just tossed into a false equivocacy by his detractors, who then apply the one-game pattern of him being passed over to Smash.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
http://gonintendo.com/?p=148042

Interesting tidbits on DKCR, including the bit about Cranky. Miyamoto never said to remove a thing; Miyamoto's quote and K. Rool's absence are just tossed into a false equivocacy by his detractors, who then apply the one-game pattern of him being passed over to Smash.
All this does is make me more positive of K. Rool in Smash. This thread has been really helpful tonight! :cool:

D

Deleted member

I don't think we have to worry about Miyamoto keeping K. Rool out of Smash.

He was, after all, involved in Donkey Kong Country: http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06...to-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3

At this rate, K. Rool is practically guarantee to show up in Smash. Pretty much anything that detractors throw at K. Rool isn't worth taking seriously (especially the misinterpretations of the meaning of relevance). The only thing I could possibly think of is for the very minuscule possibility that we only get three DK reps and somewhat, Sakurai prioritizes Dixie over K. Rool, but that's such a small possibility that it isn't worth too much concerns over.

King K. Rool is one of my three most wanted characters for the game; the other two being Mewtwo and Mega Man. They are also the three that I expect to show up (although in Mega Man's case, it depends on whenever or not we get a ew third-party) It will be a great day in Donkey Kong history if and when K. Rool finally join the ranks of a Smash combatant. With Mewtwo being a guarantee, my main focus will now be focused on Mega Man.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That interview is basically a guarantee, just because if he hated the Kremlings as much as people think he does, he may have mentioned that even slightly. I'm not saying he doesn't need to put on a face, but an off-hand "I wasn't too fond of the Kremlings, but they were insistent, so..."

It's as easy as that, really, and I actually find his explanation very sensible.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think you misunderstand how I used "guarantee". I wasn't talking about K. Rool, but Miyamoto. I'm not as stupid as that, I survived pre-Brawl.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
After reading that link it basically seems that they wanted a fresh slate and really only wanted the most mandatory of characters, DK & Diddy, with Cranky being added due to Miyamoto.

I still think it was dumb to not have had K.Rool and Dixie (as a side thought, it would have been interesting to have had 3 playable characters with the team mechanic), but I can see why they wanted a fresh start, the Kong family IMO was getting a tad too large (and weird) for it's own good. Not sure how this guarantees anything in relation to Smash other than no one has it out for either DK newcomer.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know what would be cool?

A 4 player DKC with Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and Kiddy.

Kind of like NSMBW.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
After reading that link it basically seems that they wanted a fresh slate and really only wanted the most mandatory of characters, DK & Diddy, with Cranky being added due to Miyamoto.

I still think it was dumb to not have had K.Rool and Dixie (as a side thought, it would have been interesting to have had 3 playable characters with the team mechanic), but I can see why they wanted a fresh start, the Kong family IMO was getting a tad too large (and weird) for it's own good. Not sure how this guarantees anything in relation to Smash other than no one has it out for either DK newcomer.
Heh, that's really all I wanted to make sure of. The only thing standing in K. Rool's way in my mind was the possibility of Miyamoto not liking the Kremlings to the point of really stupid intervention. Hey, maybe the Kong family was getting too large, but I think for the most part that was just Retro's thinking. They can do their own thing as long as they don't alienate K. Rool from his series forever. From the sound of it, they didn't plan on doing another DKC game anywho.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How come DKC is the only series which need a 'fresh start' but ALL OTHER NINTENDO FRANCHISES go on and about with the same ****? I hate this mentality.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm just gonna go with the whole "Retro wanted to out-do Rare" thing. Hopefully Nintendo will stop that now...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How come DKC is the only series which need a 'fresh start' but ALL OTHER NINTENDO FRANCHISES go on and about with the same ****? I hate this mentality.
*coughstarfoxcough*

But yeah,I don't really see why the DK games need a reboot yet really. They could use some more games for now imo... :/

Top Bottom