• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I
I don't think its so much the case that there are more Metroid fans online, but Metroid fans are more vocal because Ridley has had nothing against him at all. K. Rool fans had to wait until Diddy made it into Brawl before requesting K. Rool.
I really feel this post is backwards - Ridley has been teased as a stage boss which is something against him no matter how Ridley fans wish to construe Sakurai's motives behind the tease. K. Rool is the one who has nothing against him at this point in time for this game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I really feel this post is backwards - Ridley has been teased as a stage boss which is something against him no matter how Ridley fans wish to construe Sakurai's motives behind the tease. K. Rool is the one who has nothing against him at this point in time for this game.
You're completely missing the point.

I'm not referring to the stage boss thing. What I'm referring to is in the Smash series as a whole, before speculation even begins. Ridley is the second most important character in the Metroid franchise, because there aren't a whole lot of good choices from that franchise period. Ridley is the main antagonist.

However, no DK fans really brought up K. Rool for Melee/Brawl because we didn't have Diddy Kong yet. K. Rool isn't going to be playable before Diddy Kong. I never even once thought of K. Rool as a playable character for past games, either, because I was always waiting on Diddy Kong to be added.

As for Ridley in this game... Honestly, I'm not a Metroid fan, and although Ridley looks cool and I think he deserves to be in, I'm not a huge Ridley fan. But frankly I think all evidence points to him being playable. I'm not about to say Ridley doesn't have anything going against him, though, he certainly does. However, he's never had anything going against him in regards to other characters getting in BEFORE him, since the Metroid franchise only has a couple of legit character choices to pick from.

The DK franchise has far more character choices to choose from, and Diddy Kong is the second-most important character in the franchise. K. Rool is the third.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
You're completely missing the point.

I'm not referring to the stage boss thing. What I'm referring to is in the Smash series as a whole, before speculation even begins. Ridley is the second most important character in the Metroid franchise, because there aren't a whole lot of good choices from that franchise period. Ridley is the main antagonist.

However, no DK fans really brought up K. Rool for Melee/Brawl because we didn't have Diddy Kong yet. K. Rool isn't going to be playable before Diddy Kong. I never even once thought of K. Rool as a playable character for past games, either, because I was always waiting on Diddy Kong to be added.

As for Ridley in this game... Honestly, I'm not a Metroid fan, and although Ridley looks cool and I think he deserves to be in, I'm not a huge Ridley fan. But frankly I think all evidence points to him being playable. I'm not about to say Ridley doesn't have anything going against him, though, he certainly does. However, he's never had anything going against him in regards to other characters getting in BEFORE him, since the Metroid franchise only has a couple of legit character choices to pick from.

The DK franchise has far more character choices to choose from, and Diddy Kong is the second-most important character in the franchise. K. Rool is the third.
My misunderstanding then; your wording was easy to misconstrue though. :p

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
I'm not an avid Ridley supporter but I do believe he deserves to be in. That being said, if he's not playable it won't disappoint me too much.

King K Rool was actually among my most wanted for Brawl. Of course Diddy was up there too. I wanted them both back then.

Hell, Diddy should've been a Melee newcomer quite frankly. I'm sure if that would've happened we would have Dixie and/or Rool by now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not an avid Ridley supporter but I do believe he deserves to be in. That being said, if he's not playable it won't disappoint me too much.

King K Rool was actually among my most wanted for Brawl. Of course Diddy was up there too. I wanted them both back then.

Hell, Diddy should've been a Melee newcomer quite frankly. I'm sure if that would've happened we would have Dixie and/or Rool by now.
I think I know why, though. Before the Rare buyout Nintendo tended to consider Diddy "Rare's" character. Someone else brought this up earlier, but Diddy never started appearing in other spinoffs until Rare got bought out. As such, when Melee was in development, Sakurai never considered Diddy a valid option. By Brawl Diddy was an obvious pick. By this game Dixie/K. Rool should be obvious picks as well.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I had a dream about K. Rool last night. I'm not even kidding. Is there something wrong with me?

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
I think I know why, though. Before the Rare buyout Nintendo tended to consider Diddy "Rare's" character. Someone else brought this up earlier, but Diddy never started appearing in other spinoffs until Rare got bought out. As such, when Melee was in development, Sakurai never considered Diddy a valid option. By Brawl Diddy was an obvious pick. By this game Dixie/K. Rool should be obvious picks as well.
Yeah that's what I've always figured too. That Rare buyout has had so many negative effects on potential Nintendo characters and games it's unbelievable.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I fear Dixie has a greater chance of being in than K. Rool Solely because she's female. Nintendo keeps pushing these female characters that it's seemingly a ridiculous amount of females even though majority or not protagonists. Krystal and/or Dixie would be good choices to to represent a female who isn't female. Considering how they're pushing females a bit too much, Dixie may be in a higher priority list than K. Rool. Rool does have the villain side of him though but it doesn't seem they're pushing villains as much as they are with females.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I fear Dixie has a greater chance of being in than K. Rool Solely because she's female. Nintendo keeps pushing these female characters that it's seemingly a ridiculous amount of females even though majority or not protagonists. Krystal and/or Dixie would be good choices to to represent a female who isn't female. Considering how they're pushing females a bit too much, Dixie may be in a higher priority list than K. Rool. Rool does have the villain side of him though but it doesn't seem they're pushing villains as much as they are with females.
I don't. Fact is, for Villains, they're only going to pick iconic characters from a specific series, same with females. Villains are usually some of the last characters shown off anyway, so I don't see why people are saying they're ONLY trying to push villains. There are really only TWO newcomer villains that have any sort of decent shot at making it into this game anyway, one of whom has been heavily teased but is highly questionable, while the other literally has nothing going against him.

And that said, I think there's a decent chance at getting both Dixie and Rool.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, Kutthroats, can you provide enough evidence to make my konfidence that King K. Rool is in the game rise to 90%? Currently I'm about 85% konfident in our Kremling King's inklusion, but with the kurrent scenario that my favorite Zelda character is suspiciously absent from Hyrule Warriors when she should've been a lock konsidering her importance in Ocarina of Time (especially with a character like Agitha in the game), I'm feeling a bit down right now.

So, yeah, any more konfidence in K. Rool's inklusion will really help bring my spirits back up again. :D

Also, if it wasn't for one annoying kurse word in this song I'd absolutely love this:

What monkeys have disarmed you kutthroats, anyway?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I'm not much of a Ridley supporter, though I pretended to be an avid one on the Ridley support thread just for kicks. I say Ridley has a 50/50 chance at being playable, since I'm not convinced that the shadow in the direct was that of a boss but I'm also not convinced that it's of a playable character. I think Metroid definitely needs another character and maybe Ridley could potentially be a good one, but I'm not confident that the developers can make Ridley work as a playable character. If Ridley gets in somehow, that's cool, but if not, too bad but I'm not gonna complain.

El Chunko

Smash Cadet
So.. anyone with time and desire to make a list of hints or reasons that may lead to K.Rool being a playable? I'm getting a little skeptical now and I don't now why..
-K. ROOL HINTS, FACTS, AND EVIDENCE- *Updated with new supporting evidence*
- Growing populatiry/resurgence of the DKC franchise
- One of the most requested newcomers WORLDWIDE (one of the top 3 i believe)
- Increasing DKC content in Smash Bros (Ex. compare how many DKC fighters/trophies/content there was in Melee compared to that of Brawl. The start of a trend?)
-Reports of Chunky Kong being an assist trophy
-Lack of any DK related content in SSB4 so far (possibly leading to a big content blowout in the future)
-Inclusion of Kremlings in Smash Run, including "big Kremling"which is 99% not K.Rool
-Hints in screenshots (see my first post)
-Overall uniqueness
-Namco Bandai favoring K. Rool (inclusion in games like Donkey Konga and Mario Baseball)

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I don't. Fact is, for Villains, they're only going to pick iconic characters from a specific series, same with females. Villains are usually some of the last characters shown off anyway, so I don't see why people are saying they're ONLY trying to push villains. There are really only TWO newcomer villains that have any sort of decent shot at making it into this game anyway, one of whom has been heavily teased but is highly questionable, while the other literally has nothing going against him.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, Kutthroats, can you provide enough evidence to make my konfidence that King K. Rool is in the game rise to 90%? Currently I'm about 85% konfident in our Kremling King's inklusion, but with the kurrent scenario that my favorite Zelda character is suspiciously absent from Hyrule Warriors when she should've been a lock konsidering her importance in Ocarina of Time (especially with a character like Agitha in the game), I'm feeling a bit down right now.

So, yeah, any more konfidence in K. Rool's inklusion will really help bring my spirits back up again. :D

Also, if it wasn't for one annoying kurse word in this song I'd absolutely love this:

What monkeys have disarmed you kutthroats, anyway?
They'd probably put in Malon as a character before Saria.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Last chance: I've been working on a video for a while now, and I've been collecting as much K. Rool Smash related art as I can. If you have anything you'd like me to use, send it to me or tag me in a post with it. I need it in the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours or so, though, because I plan to have the video up before too long.

Oh, and I may have already borrowed your artwork, especially if it's been posted here or tweeted out with #KRool4Smash4. I'm not taking credit for your; I even say in the video and in the annotations "look at what K. Rool's fans have done to support their character." Additionally, I have a fairly comprehensive credits list at the end of the video, so chances are that your name has been mentioned there; if not, I still mention that there may have been some names I forgot to credit. Don't sue me, as I'm doing nothing but trying to get your beloved character in Smash. /poorlawyertalk
100_0435.JPG

Here's something that's semi-decent!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They'd probably put in Malon as a character before Saria.
They put in Ruto and Darunia, who have less important roles in OOT as a whole than Saria (not much, but Saria's role is still the biggest of the non-Zelda Sages). Malon is the most recurring side character in the series, but the fact is that she is a side character in every game she's appeared in (in OOT you don't even need to talk to Malon again after the first meeting, you actually don't need to get Epona at all).

Where'd you get I was talking about Saria anyway? Was it because I mentioned it before?

And even then, they should have, in theory, put Malon (AND Saria, AND Groose) in over Agitha. So your logic fails.

Either way this is the K. Rool thread, let's get off Hyrule Warriors, I only brought it up briefly. :p

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
They put in Ruto and Darunia, who have less important roles in OOT as a whole than Saria (not much, but Saria's role is still the biggest of the non-Zelda Sages). Malon is the most recurring side character in the series, but the fact is that she is a side character in every game she's appeared in (in OOT you don't even need to talk to Malon again after the first meeting, you actually don't need to get Epona at all).

Where'd you get I was talking about Saria anyway? Was it because I mentioned it before?

And even then, they should have, in theory, put Malon (AND Saria, AND Groose) in over Agitha. So your logic fails.

Either way this is the K. Rool thread, let's get off Hyrule Warriors, I only brought it up briefly. :p
No, I just read your mind. And geez what's your problem? I wasn't even trying to argue with you in the first place. Don't give me that "Your logic fails" crap when I was just making a joke. Geezus.....

IVIr.G

Smash Cadet
-K. ROOL HINTS, FACTS, AND EVIDENCE-
- Growing populatiry/resurgence of the DKC franchise
- One of the most requested newcomers WORLDWIDE (one of the top 3 i believe)
- Increasing DKC content in Smash Bros (Ex. compare how many DKC fighters/trophies/content there was in Melee compared to that of Brawl. The start of a trend?)
-Reports of Chunky Kong being an assist trophy
-Lack of any DK related content in SSB4 so far (possibly leading to a big content blowout in the future)
-Inclusion of Kremlings in Smash Run, including "big Kremling"which is 99% not K.Rool
-Hints in screenshots (see my first post)
-Overall uniqueness
What hints in screenshots? I didn't see your first post. I'm not doubting you or anything. General curiousness as I don't think I've heard of any hinting screen caps as of yet.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

On that note, there was some good discussion on DKVine on what characters and stages should appear in a DK: Gorilla Warriors game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
On that note, there was some good discussion on DKVine on what characters and stages should appear in a DK: Gorilla Warriors game.
Lol. Someone mentioned DK Warriors on the Hyrule Warriors GameFAQs forum. I don't ever see something like that happening, and it doesn't really fit the DK franchise that much, nor would it fit the Mario franchise. If another franchise were to get the Warriors treatment, Fire Emblem would be the best pick.

Granted, DK would probably fare better, because the franchise sells way better as a whole. The whole idea just sounds crazy, at least Zelda fits the format of a Warriors type of game.

I should check out that discussion just for the heck of it. :p

Oh, and the DK Vine twitter page said something about them looking for K. Rool in Hyrule Warriors for some "crossover shenanigans." I'm like: "Um... ok..." I'm sure they were joking, though. (God I hope they were joking.)

No, I just read your mind. And geez what's your problem? I wasn't even trying to argue with you in the first place. Don't give me that "Your logic fails" crap when I was just making a joke. Geezus.....
Sorry. I just like Saria. :p

Good guess, though, lol. If you just figured it out that way, I guess you would know that Saria's a common suggestion whose suspiciously absent... :p Not that I'd mind Malon at all, I was kinda hoping (and slightly expecting) both would be in.

What hints in screenshots? I didn't see your first post. I'm not doubting you or anything. General curiousness as I don't think I've heard of any hinting screen caps as of yet.
I think one hint he was referring to is one of the screenshots showing DK facing off against a bunch of lizards on the Boxing Ring. It included Yoshi, Bowser, and Charixard.

Last edited:

El Chunko

Smash Cadet
ahah np, it's in the top half of page 342

Last edited:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012

I can't say they're only pushing females, the point of my post is that I think Dixie is on a higher priority list than K. Rool because there is still no sign of villains being pushed, but they've blatantly admitted the concept of adding more female characters. I still think K. Rool's chances is as high as say 90% chance of being in, but I feel like Dixie may have to get in first. Not my personal opinion (I very much prefer K. Rool over Dixie) but Dixie seems to have a better chance in getting in on their end. Both getting in is still very high though I think.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
they've blatantly admitted the concept of adding more female characters
This is where I ask for a source. I know Sakurai said "he was delighted to add ZSS into Brawl because she was a new female Metroid character," but remember nothing about him ever "looking for females."

Pre-Brawl, people took and warped a lot of Sakurai quotes for their own purposes, and one of the most prominent examples was the Krystal fanbase claiming "Sakurai said he would be adding more females." (The other was "All clones are cut or decloned and there will be no new clones.")

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Funny enough there are still people who claim Sakurai said "no more clones".

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is where I ask for a source. I know Sakurai said "he was delighted to add ZSS into Brawl because she was a new female Metroid character," but remember nothing about him ever "looking for females."

Pre-Brawl, people took and warped a lot of Sakurai quotes for their own purposes, and one of the most prominent examples was the Krystal fanbase claiming "Sakurai said he would be adding more females." (The other was "All clones are cut or decloned and there will be no new clones.")
The clone quote was being brought up consistently for this game as well despite never being stated. The one thing Sakurai did say is he's trying to add characters who will bring something new to the series, but he never said he wouldn't add any new clones whatsoever nor would he remove clones from past titles. About the only clone I think who has any chance of getting decloned is Ganondorf. Mainly because that's the best way to represent the Zelda series, far better than adding a new Zelda character.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I can't say they're only pushing females, the point of my post is that I think Dixie is on a higher priority list than K. Rool because there is still no sign of villains being pushed, but they've blatantly admitted the concept of adding more female characters. I still think K. Rool's chances is as high as say 90% chance of being in, but I feel like Dixie may have to get in first. Not my personal opinion (I very much prefer K. Rool over Dixie) but Dixie seems to have a better chance in getting in on their end. Both getting in is still very high though I think.
I don't disagree that there's been a lot of female characters being pushed with this game. However I find it VERY intriguing that almost no Villians have been shown off yet aside from Bowser. I'm not counting DDD either since he really isn't a villian more of a rival. I seriously feel like were gonna get one more reveal trailer that will be a big one and it will be about the bad guys. K.Rool and Ridley are all that need to be in the game to warrant a villian trailer anyway. I seriously feel that the villains are being held off for a reason. Ganondorf could potentially be shown next week since HW comes out in Japan if he's not my feelings of an incoming villains trailer will be even stronger

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Ok, so when do you guys think K. Rool will be confirmed? Just a rough estimate on how much longer we'll have to wait is fine.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ok, so when do you guys think K. Rool will be confirmed? Just a rough estimate on how much longer we'll have to wait is fine.
At this point I think we're getting a DK trailer, and it'll either be the next trailer or the one after that. I'm thinking probably 2-3 trailers, leaning towards 3. We'll have a trailer with one new character for launch, a Smash Direct, and a general Nintendo Direct. If not 3, then just 2, but either way K. Rool is probably one of them.

When? If we've only got 2 trailers, I think he'll be the next one announced (MAYBE alongside Dixie Kong). If we've got 3 trailers, I think they'll save him for a Smash Bros. Direct that will be out by the end of the month and the next trailer will reveal a new franchise rep (my bets on Isaac, not Shulk).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
At this point I think we're getting a DK trailer, and it'll either be the next trailer or the one after that. I'm thinking probably 2-3 trailers, leaning towards 3. We'll have a trailer with one new character for launch, a Smash Direct, and a general Nintendo Direct. If not 3, then just 2, but either way K. Rool is probably one of them.

When? If we've only got 2 trailers, I think he'll be the next one announced (MAYBE alongside Dixie Kong). If we've got 3 trailers, I think they'll save him for a Smash Bros. Direct that will be out by the end of the month and the next trailer will reveal a new franchise rep (my bets on Isaac, not Shulk).
Do you think the Direct will have two Trailers, one at the beginning and the other at the end?

I also think 3 Newcomer Trailers are possible, but my bet goes to 2.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Do you think the Direct will have two Trailers, one at the beginning and the other at the end?

I also think 3 Newcomer Trailers are possible, but my bet goes to 2.
I think its possible for the Direct to have two trailers. The main thing is, though, that I believe we WILL get a DK trailer, yes I do believe we WILL get a Ridley trailer, and also one more new IP trailer (we could still have secret new IP's in the game). Another possibility, though, is announcing Isaac and Ridley together, since Judgment would be an awesome opener or finisher to a trailer.

Also, I believe we're getting a trailer next week for sure in a General Direct. My bets currently are on a DK trailer. A Villains/Antagonists Trailer is still possible.

I don't think we're getting a Star Fox, Kirby, Mario (a second one), or Zelda newcomer, or Dark Pit either.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
The way I see it, there are only 2 trailers left. I'm confident one will confirm K. Rool and Dixie, but I don't know how many other characters it will confirm if any. For the second one, I have no clue what characters or how many it will confirm. I'm not even sure if all remaining characters will be confirmed in trailers. There are probably some newcomers and definitely some veterans who will be kept secret until release.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think its possible for the Direct to have two trailers. The main thing is, though, that I believe we WILL get a DK trailer, yes I do believe we WILL get a Ridley trailer, and also one more new IP trailer (we could still have secret new IP's in the game). Another possibility, though, is announcing Isaac and Ridley together, since Judgment would be an awesome opener or finisher to a trailer.

Also, I believe we're getting a trailer next week for sure in a General Direct. My bets currently are on a DK trailer. A Villains/Antagonists Trailer is still possible.

I don't think we're getting a Star Fox, Kirby, Mario (a second one), or Zelda newcomer, or Dark Pit either.
In response to bold: I agree here. It is very unlikely we get newcomers in these areas.

By the way, and sorry if this was asked already, but what would King K. Rool's victory quotes against other characters be? Even those that are not a part of the Donkey Kong Franchise?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The way I see it, there are only 2 trailers left. I'm confident one will confirm K. Rool and Dixie, but I don't know how many other characters it will confirm if any. For the second one, I have no clue what characters or how many it will confirm. I'm not even sure if all remaining characters will be confirmed in trailers. There are probably some newcomers and definitely some veterans who will be kept secret until release.
I still think Ridley is playable, and I have no doubt he'd be in one of them. I also think a new franchise rep would be announced before release, while 2-3 potential newcomer characters are left secret. Less than past games, but still more than what people are expecting.

Agreed on Dixie and K. Rool. I think both are in at this point.

In response to bold: I agree here. It is very unlikely we get newcomers in these areas.

By the way, and sorry if this was asked already, but what would King K. Rool's victory quotes against other characters be? Even those that are not a part of the Donkey Kong Franchise?
Well, my guess is K. Rool wouldn't say any actual quotes like DK and Bowser. If he does I'd love it if he said comments like "Yeah! Thank You!" and (less likely) "My finest hour!" He'd probably also do his evil laugh from DK64.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

He never speaks in the games so, nothing?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He never speaks in the games so, nothing?
He does, but not often. He says a few things in DK64, and he DOES talk via text only in other games. He talks in the GBA remakes of DKC1-2, DKC3, he speaks non-vocal lines fairly often in DK64, and he even has a few vocal lines in DK64. He also does talk in Jungle Climber, King of Swing, and Mario Super Sluggers.

Granted, his only actual vocal lines are from DK64, and he only says a few things.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
He does, but not often. He says a few things in DK64, and he DOES talk via text only in other games. He talks in the GBA remakes of DKC1-2, DKC3, he speaks non-vocal lines fairly often in DK64, and he even has a few vocal lines in DK64. He also does talk in Jungle Climber, King of Swing, and Mario Super Sluggers.

Granted, his only actual vocal lines are from DK64, and he only says a few things.
Oh yeah, you're right about DK64. I would love it if he said "Yeah! **** you!" just like in the game.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012

That's a good hint. It's also good to note by the amount of females we have so far in-game. Compare the number of females in this game to the ones in brawl thus far. His reasoning could be to appear more appealing to female gamer's or guys who generally likes using female characters. With that being said, I think Dixie simply has a higher chance as of right now. There is no direct source that I know of, perhaps I got caught of with the rumors, but it's pretty obvious where their vision currently lies in terms of playable characters. Hell, he's even put the effort in including alternate genders this time around for avatar characters. There are far too many males in comparison to females, so why not reach out for my and look for more gender balance? And again, I have little doubt both K. Rool and Dixie's inclusion would be ignored.

Last edited:
Top Bottom