• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Just curious, if there was going to be a boss of DK series for boss mode then who will it be other than King K. Rool? While I believe the Kremlings in Smash Run does give hint towards King K. Rool's inclusion, I am not sure if he'll be playable this time because Smash Bros also introduced the boss mode.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Tikis are also present, so Tiki Tong seems like an obvious choice.

However, if K. Rool isn't playable I expect the boss role to go to him.

Oh how I'd love to kick the **** out of Tiki Tong as K. Rool. Such sweet justice...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being heavy doesn't necessarily equate to being slow. And having this massive, overweight crocodile be one of the fastest characters in the game contributes perfectly to K. Rool's bizarreness.
Donkey Kong is unusually fast for a heavyweight, but even he can't outrun a Pikachu. With K. Rool, his recent incarnations made him very slow, especially in Mario Super Sluggers, where he was one of the slowest runners in the game.

Of course, Bowser has been a slow walker, but he runs fast enough to rival Mario's running.

Maybe for Smash 4, K. Rool could be very slow while walking himself, but he'd run fast enough to keep up with Wolf's running.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
K. Rool is my most wanted actually realistic possibility for a character, but I don't think it's going to happen just because he's been in almost nothing since Brawl.

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I don't think we'll be getting Tiki Tong as a boss battle when we already have Master Hand and Crazy hand. I'd say Bashmaster has a good shot at a boss battle, being by and large the most popular boss battle in Tropical Freeze (and one of the best in the entire series, imo) but it's hard to tell what we should really expect in terms of Tropical Freeze representation

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Donkey Kong is unusually fast for a heavyweight, but even he can't outrun a Pikachu. With K. Rool, his recent incarnations made him very slow, especially in Mario Super Sluggers, where he was one of the slowest runners in the game.
They kind of had to do that, as he was one of the strongest characters in the game, if not the strongest.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
They kind of had to do that, as he was one of the strongest characters in the game, if not the strongest.
He was tied with Bowser and Petey Piranha as the strongest.

When it comes to spinoffs, I wouldn't put much stock into them. Bowser and Wario tend to be very slow in those, despite showing the ability to move very quickly in the main games.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
In Mario Super Sluggers the correct strength line (and coincidentally, the opposite of velocity line too) is: Bowser > K. Rool > DK > Wario... Isn't it?

I guess it would be a good base for Smash; ... as for size and other atributes for K. Rool too. Dedede, being the only one that wasn't in the same game with the four I mentioned, would be weaker than K. Rool, and faster only than DK.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
That's pretty much the point. If K. Rool is to be a brute force type of fighter with a lot of heavy-hitting attacks, he has to be very slow to keep himself balanced.
I actually hope he isn't like that in Smash. He should be a strong, but still speedy character. Unfortunately, he probably is going to be one of the slow, powerful, characters, if he gets in.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also I will say being slow yet strong shouldn't be an inherent problem, as long as you have the tools to actually compensate for the lack of mobility. For example, a basic example is having large ranged attacks, but there are other ways you can compensate for the low range like having projectiles, armor to break through defenses, attacks that interrupt combos, or attacks that disrupt momentum. If you want an example of a Might Glacier character done right in a fighting game, there's Potemkin from Guilty Gear. He can't run or air dash, but to compensate for this his gameplay style is designed around exploiting punishing people that get too close (like his Hammer Fall attack for example), and to make up for his limited mobility his attacks support above normal range and some of his attacks do have decent speed which can lead to some combo capabilities.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
From what I've seen, His intense girth hides some impressive leg muscles, He might be slow but his jump is Super.

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
I see K. Rool as being powerful and really fast (maybe with Wario-like air movement). A fast and powerful heavyweight with bizarre and unpredictable behavior sounds pretty damn awesome to me. The way he always zooms from one side of the stage to the other in the DKC games really shows how energetic he is. I can't decide upon what his big weakness could be though. Rare made him to good. Maybe slow execution of his smash attacks?

luigi7mew2

Smash Rookie
Wow, some great points were made about K. Rool! I have always wanted him in ever since Melee. I have been disappointed that he still isn't in any of the games :( Seeing the Kremlins, made me get my hopes up (perhaps too high).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see K.Rool as a heavy weight with a lot of range, baiting techniques and attacks that are deceptionally quick for his size and weight. Also, a very strong grab game. Basically a true grappler, as everyone says he should be.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see his actual moves come out very fast while his mobility is slow. That might be a way to balance him while keeping him strong.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I kind of see K. Rool as having a ridiculously fast ground-speed and a slow, heavy and clunky air game. I'd like him to be a character that relies on hard reads and punishment, meaning his attacks are typically massively powerful but lacking in speed.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The Tikis are also present, so Tiki Tong seems like an obvious choice.

However, if K. Rool isn't playable I expect the boss role to go to him.

Oh how I'd love to kick the **** out of Tiki Tong as K. Rool. Such sweet justice...
Yeeeess that would be perfect! We all know King K. Rool should be the final boss for the DKCR series! K. Rool had the most bad*** battles and music!

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I doubt Tiki Tong will appear as boss, since he's basically just Wham Bam Rock, the clear inspiration for Master/Crazy Hand. They even both have a tribal motif.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Why not just not have a DK boss in Smash Run? But if there was one, I would go with Lord Frederick, dunno why. Seems better than Tiki Tong...

btw here are who my SmashRun Bosses would be

1. King Boo
2. Lord Frederick
3. Stallord
4. Nightmare (Metroid)
5. Dyna Blade
6. Thanatos
7. Zygarde
8. Dr. Eggman
9. Metal Gear REX
10. Metal Face

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I hope he's not a boss in the game, many of us have really been wanting to play as him.
I suppose we'll get a clue once we get the new Donkey Kong stages.

Though since it's likely that we're going to get the new stages based on Donkey Kong Country Returns or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, it wouldn't make sense to have King K. Rool as the boss on those stages. Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrick respectively would be more appropriate.

This is of course presuming past stages (i.e. Jungle Japes) will ignore this possibility entirely for authenticity sake.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
This is of course presuming past stages (i.e. Jungle Japes) will ignore this possibility entirely for authenticity sake.
"Pic of the Day. Halberd isn't exactly like it was Super Smash Bros Brawl. Meta Knight is now always on board acting as a boss! This means that he won't be playable."

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hope they go for the unexpected and throw in something like Turret Tusk as the DK boss (provided there is one to begin with).

That way, we can play as K. Rool, and beat up on enemies from three different eras of DK history: Rare, EAD, and Retro. All we'd then need are some Nitpickers as retro enemies. Bonus points if they share their representation with the Nitpickers from Ice Climber. It's the perfect formula, I conclude.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've been thinking.

Do we know if Rareware logos appeared in the Donkey Kong Land VC?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just finished my update of the OP. All of the members who have been asking me to add them to the list, such as @ andimidna andimidna , are now there. I have also added a new video section to the list of K. Rool media, currently with the videos posted in this thread thus far. I plan to update it tomorrow with videos of his boss fights from the various DKC games. I am also planning on revamping the Counterpoints section, since a lot has changed since Tropical Freeze's release and the new Direct.

With regard to Donkey Kong bosses that could be translated into Smash (if, unlike Brawl, we get any at all, because not all series do), I was thinking we could see all seven (technically nine) of the regular Tiki Tong Disciples fighting as a single boss. Tiki Tong has the most obvious boss potential, and would be the most satisfying to kill as K. Rool, but if he's too much like Master Hand, why not have a unique seven-in-one hypnosis-based boss instead? The only other potential bosses would could have a fight like that would be the Koopalings, and they seem more suited to a Koopa Clown Car appearance all-in-one somewhere IMO.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Goal: Reach 300 kutthroats before he's confirmed at E3! :D
It is pretty much a guarantee at this point that we will have 300 before E3; we only have 8 more to go. K. Rool support is one of the gifts that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has this remix seriously not been brought up yet? I loved this remix when I first saw it and I think anyone here would enjoy this theme.
I suppose we'll get a clue once we get the new Donkey Kong stages.

Though since it's likely that we're going to get the new stages based on Donkey Kong Country Returns or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, it wouldn't make sense to have King K. Rool as the boss on those stages. Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrick respectively would be more appropriate.

Considering that K. Rool is likely going to show up in a bigger role in Brawl, it's certainly possible that we could see Gankplank Galleon/Flying Krock with him as a boss. Should that happen, I wouldn't mind K. Rool changing his disguises for each section of a K. Rool boss fight; one with his outfit from DKC, one form DKC2 under Kaptain K. Rool, one from DKC3 under Baron K. Roolenstein and the final one from DK64 as a boxer. That being said, since we know nothing about how Sakurai sees a potentially playable K. Rool (all we know is that Sakurai at least sees him as relevant if the Kremlings in Smash Run are any indication), I wouldn't necessarily panic about K. Rool's chances of being playable if we see Gankplank Galleon show up as a stage (although I can understand worrying about it, it's hardly reason to give up).

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Have there been any recent Chronobound-esque observations about who's wanted in Japan? I'm curious to see if our king's popularity is still as high as it was.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
How are people getting this information on Japanese popularity?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Have there been any recent Chronobound-esque observations about who's wanted in Japan? I'm curious to see if our king's popularity is still as high as it was.
Not really, but at this point, it won't matter since the roster has already been decided. A decline really wouldn't hurt K. Rool at this point because it would have happened after the roster was decided.

That said, I am curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Was there any reason for killing off Wrinkly Kong? Seems to be the only thing consistent in all of the DK history.

Even K Rool has problems figuring out if it was his brother or not dressed as a pirate

Top Bottom