• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Believe me I met some guys at a local tourney a couple of weeks ago who asked me "Who is K. Rool?". There are some people who only play Smash because its a competitive fighting game and barely know or care who is in it.
Need to print a pin that says "Ask me about King K. Rool".
Those folks probably don't know the vast majority of the ballot frontrunners then.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
NoA employees? Did like, the Treehouse guys say something?

... or did somebody just call customer service or something?
I'd love it if the Treehouse guys said it, then there would be no question and we could all actually move on.

Sadly, several Kutthroats called NoA's customer service and they all got roughly the same answer, so no, we don't actually know for sure. Hence why I said "hopefully they are right". If the Treehouse said the Kosplay didn't trounce K. Rool then this would be a non issue.

On other "news":
Super Mario Bros Z is getting a rebbot! And our beloved king is going to make an appearance !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8qsmLmgI4
OMG YES!!! I loved that show.

Although I hate how Alvin-Earthworm ended it:
- 2009: Episode 8 is released.
- 2009-2012: Yes, I'm still making episode 9.
- 2012: I'm cancelling the series.
It was really nice end it after fans were waiting three years for next episode. :mad088:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Casual and hardcore is a continuum. I'm certain there are fans that aren't "hardcore" Smash fans, but still into the series, who might have heard about the ballot because it was news when it got released. I found out about WFT though Tumblr. Word of mouth can be a powerful thing. Even if you don't look for Smash news, if you run in gaming circles, some Smash news will leak into your life.

I would love to see the Smash ballot data to see who was right about what. Also breakdowns by age, gender, and region. Reading those explanations would be... interesting. According to PushDustin, "she is my wife" is an actual thing people say about fictional characters. I'd imagine there are lots of salacious comments, even spam, and lots of little kids being wildly passionate about whatever kids are into. Too bad that information will probably never get out.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Too bad that information will probably never get out.
Some of it might, as the ballot form does mention that Nintendo reserves the right to publish comments, but that almost certainly only applies to write-ups that would make for good promotional copy. They're definitely not going to publish any of the weird stuff that they've surely gotten. :laugh:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I hope Sakurai wants my money. If I see another husbando or a waifu in the roster, I will assume this is not the case. Also seeing how other fighting games are doing, looking at you Killer Instinct and at you Street Fighter, I can't help but wonder why we can't get what we want? R.Mika is in Street Fighter, Rash is in KI, Smash got Ryu which is a big deal but, its something that no one asked for and people want K Rool, so give them K Rool. You gave us Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy, which are great, way better than the blemishes that are present on the current roster. However this is constant, almost prejudice attitude towards villain characters is rather concerning. The excuses, the costumes, all of it is worrisome, because I help but to look at other games of the same genre and ask "They can do it why can't you?" I love Smash but, Sakurai gets on my nerves.
Can I ask a favour?

Can you please stop the vitriol about any and every other character? We get it, you don't like anime. I at least am fed up of hearing you randomly spout about it on every other page though.

You seem to have worked yourself up the point where you're making stuff up. "This constant, almost prejudicial attitude towards villains"? This does not exist. You are making stuff up presumably based on nothing more than the fact he didn't add Ridley which has nothing to do with being a villain, and there not being that many on the base roster.

Then, the excuses. What? I can at best guess this is complaining about Ridley which is completely tangential. The costumes are costumes. They're a small bit of added content. Take it or leave it. It's not a ballot disconfirmation for crying out loud. Even if we don't get him, the reason isn't the costume and we have more than nothing.

Why are you spending your time criticising whether or not Sakurai is listening to fans when the ballot is still on? Nothing has come out of it yet you're acting as if it's long over. Give the man a chance when he's doing the precise thing you're whinging at him about.

To paraphrase yourself: I love Smash speculation but you are getting on my nerves.

Apologies if this reads harshly but I felt it needed to be said.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Basically, unless you stumble onto the website or have a hardcore friend, you have to be an online Smash fan to know about the ballot. It's a broad sample size, but not nearly as broad as it's made out to be. Not that I blame people whose characters rely on there being some massive unknown subset of votes for saying things to the contrary, but yeah, the casual bogeyman is just a giant shadow on the wall by something far less imposing.
Just want to chime in here and say that the ballot is currently advertised on the main menu of Smash 4. The scrolling banner at the top tells you that you can "vote for your favourite character in the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot" or something to that effect.

It's too scattered towards the finish line for it to make a discernible difference, but people are now a tiny bit more privy to its existence.

You're right, but for all intents and purposes, hatred and indifference lead to the same end result for us. At this point, we have to hope that Sakurai likes K. Rool, or at least likes satisfying fans enough to add in a character he wouldn't if left to his own devices.
Oh, absolutely. I don't deny that. Just get a bit miffed when people suggest Sakurai "hates" K. Rool with no evidence to support it. If he does hate K. Rool, he evidently doesn't hate him any more than the rest of the DK series.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai doesn't hate K. Rool. I don't think he 'hates' any Nintendo characters. I just think fans are really passionate and start projecting their own (or other people's) viewpoints onto him with regards to characters because it's what they're used to reading.

There's a lot of factors the development team has to consider when determining what content gets added to the game. DK kinda got the shaft this time around in some people's eyes, but it's silly to assume that it's the result of one man's supposed bias.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Sakurai doesn't hate K. Rool. I don't think he 'hates' any Nintendo characters. I just think fans are really passionate and start projecting their own (or other people's) viewpoints onto him with regards to characters because it's what they're used to reading.

There's a lot of factors the development team has to consider when determining what content gets added to the game. DK kinda got the shaft this time around in some people's eyes, but it's silly to assume that it's the result of one man's supposed bias.
Nintendo of Japan is somewhat open about disliking the DK series though. Miyamoto said (talking about DK Country) "fans will buy anything with good graphics, even if the gameplay is awful"

(And sorry if I misquoted that, but you get the idea)

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo of Japan is somewhat open about disliking the DK series though. Miyamoto said (talking about DK Country) "fans will buy anything with good graphics, even if the gameplay is awful"

(And sorry if I misquoted that, but you get the idea)
WRT the Miyamoto quote, he said that the gameplay was mediocre, not awful. He also said that he was being overly harsh, because at the time, he was working on Yoshi's Island and was receiving a lot of pressure to make the game look like DK. He also worked closely with Rare on the creation of DKC.

"The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumour got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end."
I personally think that it was a spur of the moment thing that he regretted saying. He's been an influence to both the Rare and Retro-developed DK games and he doesn't dislike the series at all.

I also don't think the quote reflects the rest of the company. They have no reason to dislike it, and Donkey Kong Returns was actually rather successful in Japan. At any rate, this has nothing to do with Smash Bros. The series is not being deliberately snubbed in any way.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
There's a big difference between hating a character and thinking they aren't appropriate/worth the effort as a fighter. I'm a big Waluigi supporter, but I understand why they might want to direct their resources elsewhere.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just want to chime in here and say that the ballot is currently advertised on the main menu of Smash 4. The scrolling banner at the top tells you that you can "vote for your favourite character in the Smash Bros Fighter Ballot" or something to that effect.

It's too scattered towards the finish line for it to make a discernible difference, but people are now a tiny bit more privy to its existence.

Oh, absolutely. I don't deny that. Just get a bit miffed when people suggest Sakurai "hates" K. Rool with no evidence to support it. If he does hate K. Rool, he evidently doesn't hate him any more than the rest of the DK series.
This is true. The other thing is, you'd have to still be playing Smash almost a year later and also either see the ballot banner announcement right away or sit through all of them to see it. It'll widen the net, but I don't think it'll be by a ton. The announcement doesn't even 'sell' the ballot all that well...not "want to have a chance to get your favorite character in the game? Go vote now!" but "Check out the ballot on the website."

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is true. The other thing is, you'd have to still be playing Smash almost a year later and also either see the ballot banner announcement right away or sit through all of them to see it. It'll widen the net, but I don't think it'll be by a ton. The announcement doesn't even 'sell' the ballot all that well...not "want to have a chance to get your favorite character in the game? Go vote now!" but "Check out the ballot on the website."
Yeah, I think the majority of votes will have been submitted well in advance of this eleventh-hour declaration.

Re: Nintendo's distaste for the DK series, Kensuke Tanabe did crack that "no crocodiles [laughs]" joke, but I think that was just as much a spur-of-the-moment gag as Miyamoto's vitriolic reaction. It's very possible the company's just been unaware of how big demand for K. Rool is until now, since the ballot has encouraged fans from every corner of the world to emerge from the woodwork and vocalise their support.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong Jr. Would be the biggest throw off lol, but a humble one indeed. I'd be ok with him : P

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong Jr. Would be the biggest throw off lol, but a humble one indeed. I'd be ok with him : P
DK Jr would make so much sense and I could actually see Sakurai going for it in the future. Totally worthy retro character considering his importance to Nintendo's history.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
DK Jr would make so much sense and I could actually see Sakurai going for it in the future. Totally worthy retro character considering his importance to Nintendo's history.
The only thing I wasn't a fan of was on the source gaming post his moveset was very megaman/pacman esque. But obviously nothing official

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
I understand that but i was very limited with what i could do lol. Originally i had a different recovery but it was a tether recovery and i began to think it was not very fun. I also changed the fruit up enough i feel to make it different from Pac-Man. Many characters share similar moves like Wii Fit Trainer and Samus who have the same Special move.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If Sakurai, for whatever reason, designed K. Rool's moveset so it was more so inspired by generic "crocodile" moves, would you be okay with it? In other words, he drew inspiration for a few canon tricks for his specials, but otherwise his normal moves were just things like biting, scratching, tail-whipping and death rolls?

I'd be okay with it. A bit weirded out that K. Rool turned out to be an otherwise ordinary "heavy" fighter, but if he felt right, I'd go in for it.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
are you sure?
"He works hard at his mischief: Waluigi reportedly spent a lot of time training for his debut in Mario Tennis by honing his ability to antagonize the Mario brothers." - Melee trophy

"He spent a long time working silently in the shadow of the Mario Bros. before finally becoming strong enough to compete with them in Mario Tennis." - Brawl trophy

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Sakurai, for whatever reason, designed K. Rool's moveset so it was more so inspired by generic "crocodile" moves, would you be okay with it? In other words, he drew inspiration for a few canon tricks for his specials, but otherwise his normal moves were just things like biting, scratching, tail-whipping and death rolls?

I'd be okay with it. A bit weirded out that K. Rool turned out to be an otherwise ordinary "heavy" fighter, but if he felt right, I'd go in for it.
I expect some of these to be A moves or tilts. Just not all of them.

Wasn't Death Rool Roll something he actually did though?

:231:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

As you said if it felt right then I'd probably be fine. Death Roll is something I can see being a throw for sure.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I'd be okay if it helped turn K. Rool into a more bad*** physical combatant. I mean, since the 64 days, DK's physical feats have (no pun intended) expanded exponentially, from moon punches to pummeling all the giant bosses from Jungle Beat and TF, to the point where an obese crocodile shouldn't come off as threatening...unless he's shown to be able to compete on that level as well.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

I'd just be happy he's in.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I just want this wait to be over already....

I want to know for good or Ill if K. Rool is in, I'm tired of all this waiting.....I imagine that all ballot characters will be announced at one time. I don't see them announcing them slowly. You figure all the characters will be/have been selected at the same time so it makes sense that they get it over with and say "here's the characters selected from the ballot". I'm interested to see if we get anymore DLC for Smash between then and now, like maybe more Mii costumes. If we get more Mii costumes before characters are announced we could get an even better clue on how Mii costumes "effect" anything, based on what characters we see. I have a feeling we won't see anymore DLC till October though and get a ballot character Mid October.

Wait......October is the month of Halloween..what do you do for Halloween?! Dress up! Who else dresses up?! King K. Rool!!! K. Rool in Kroctober Konfirmed?!!!!

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I'd be okay if it helped turn K. Rool into a more bad*** physical combatant. I mean, since the 64 days, DK's physical feats have (no pun intended) expanded exponentially, from moon punches to pummeling all the giant bosses from Jungle Beat and TF, to the point where an obese crocodile shouldn't come off as threatening...unless he's shown to be able to compete on that level as well.
His new weapon will be a coconut shaped Death Star. When you get to the final boss fight, he will use a gigantic beam sword, so detractors can complain about how we would end up with too many swordsmen if K. Rool got in.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I just want this wait to be over already....

I want to know for good or Ill if K. Rool is in, I'm tired of all this waiting.....I imagine that all ballot characters will be announced at one time. I don't see them announcing them slowly. You figure all the characters will be/have been selected at the same time so it makes sense that they get it over with and say "here's the characters selected from the ballot". I'm interested to see if we get anymore DLC for Smash between then and now, like maybe more Mii costumes. If we get more Mii costumes before characters are announced we could get an even better clue on how Mii costumes "effect" anything, based on what characters we see. I have a feeling we won't see anymore DLC till October though and get a ballot character Mid October.

Wait......October is the month of Halloween..what do you do for Halloween?! Dress up! Who else dresses up?! King K. Rool!!! K. Rool in Kroctober Konfirmed?!!!!
Since we're very likely to get content in October I don't think they will do anything in September unless they want to sneak Wolf in. It's going to be a dry month with nothing but "rumors" and "leaks".

Pakky

Smash Hero
Can I ask a favour?

Can you please stop the vitriol about any and every other character? We get it, you don't like anime. I at least am fed up of hearing you randomly spout about it on every other page though.

You seem to have worked yourself up the point where you're making stuff up. "This constant, almost prejudicial attitude towards villains"? This does not exist. You are making stuff up presumably based on nothing more than the fact he didn't add Ridley which has nothing to do with being a villain, and there not being that many on the base roster.

Then, the excuses. What? I can at best guess this is complaining about Ridley which is completely tangential. The costumes are costumes. They're a small bit of added content. Take it or leave it. It's not a ballot disconfirmation for crying out loud. Even if we don't get him, the reason isn't the costume and we have more than nothing.

Why are you spending your time criticising whether or not Sakurai is listening to fans when the ballot is still on? Nothing has come out of it yet you're acting as if it's long over. Give the man a chance when he's doing the precise thing you're whinging at him about.

To paraphrase yourself: I love Smash speculation but you are getting on my nerves.

Apologies if this reads harshly but I felt it needed to be said.
I apologize as well, but honestly if you don't like what I say feel free to block me, I'm not going censor myself for anyone. Also it's not every other character, I just have an aversion to the surplus of a certain kind of character that feels like it makes up a surplus of the game. If you feel that sensitive, you can be an adult and ignore me, or if you can't take reading my comments, again you can block me, I don't care either way.

Also the only villains that came out looking how they're supposed be are Bowser and to a lesser extent Bowser Jr. So yes this prejudice does exist and I'm not making up anything. You hear about there being a lack of villains all the time, y'know why because they're aren't that many in Smash. If you count antiheroes, Bowser, Jr, and Dedede are the most faithful to their appearances the rest:

-Ganon is not how he's supposed to be
-Wolf is gone
-Arguing and wishing for King K Rool to be in the game should not even be a thing he should be there already.
-Wario if you count him as a villain got one of his most iconic moves stripped from him.
-Porky isn't here.
-Ridley isn't here/ or anyone else for that matter
-Dedede is okay but he was made by Sakurai so of course he is
-No F-Zero Villains/or anyone else. Which is funny because he made up Smash Falcon from scratch.
-No FE villains

Now for the excuses/lies

Paraphrased: "Clones add to smash" No, no they don't unlike Roy and Lucas, Dr. Mario, Pit, and Lucina, not only don't add to smash they are arguably worse than the characters they're based off of. Quality over quantity, I would rather have a smaller diverse roster than a bigger roster in which 20% of the characters are repeats.

Ridley... Everything about Ridley can be answered with Charizard. He even said at one point that size is irrelevant in Smash, so y'know whatever. Even figured out how Pac-man, G&W, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, and R.O.B would work but he couldn't resolve a simple modeling issue? Word? Does anyone believe that?

Whining...That's always the excuses isn't it? That's always the rationale, why? Why is that? Can't you come to any other conclusion than that?

Now I'm done, block me, ignore, reply, I don't care. But you have no right whatsoever to tell me what I should with my comments.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I apologize as well, but honestly if you don't like what I say feel free to block me, I'm not going censor myself for anyone. Also it's not every other character, I just have an aversion to the surplus of a certain kind of character that feels like it makes up a surplus of the game. If you feel that sensitive, you can be an adult and ignore me, or if you can't take reading my comments, again you can block me, I don't care either way.

Also the only villains that came out looking how they're supposed be are Bowser and to a lesser extent Bowser Jr. So yes this prejudice does exist and I'm not making up anything. You hear about there being a lack of villains all the time, y'know why because they're aren't that many in Smash. If you count antiheroes, Bowser, Jr, and Dedede are the most faithful to their appearances the rest:

-Ganon is not how he's supposed to be
-Wolf is gone
-Arguing and wishing for King K Rool to be in the game should not even be a thing he should be there already.
-Wario if you count him as a villain got one of his most iconic moves stripped from him.
-Porky isn't here.
-Ridley isn't here
-Dedede is okay but he was made by Sakurai so of course he is
-No F-Zero Villains
-No FE villains

Now for the excuses/lies

Paraphrased: "Clones add to smash" No, no they don't unlike Roy and Lucas, Dr. Mario, Pit, and Lucina, not only don't add to smash they are arguably worse than the characters they're based off of. Quality over quantity, I would rather have a smaller diverse roster than a bigger roster in which 20% of the characters are repeats.

Ridley... Everything about Ridley can be answered with Charizard. He even said at one point that size is irrelevant in Smash, so y'know whatever.

Whining...That's always the excuses isn't it? That's always the rationale, why? Why is that? Can't you come to any other conclusion than that?

Now I'm done, block me, ignore, reply, I don't care. But you have no right whatsoever to tell me what I should with my comments.
I agree with most of your points.
And Wario's default costume is the biker outfit -_- which means his amiibo is too.

But we don't need Porky, F Zero, or a FE villain (need less FE tbh).

I agree that Ridley's reasoning is very dumb.

Also about the "clones add more to the game", I don't understand why clones are so similar in this game, when Melee had such different clones. And I'm not trying to sound like a melee fanboy, but the clones played a lot differently while Sm4sh has Pit/Dark Pit who are essentially the same character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Let's not get hung up feeling sorry for ourselves until we get the DLC and K. Rool isn't a part of it.

If Sakurai really wanted K. Rool and more DK content to be there, it would be already, true, but that's exactly why we ought to keep finding votes to submit, even if it's unlikely they're still undecided on who to add...it sends the message that DK and its characters are never to be overlooked again. Honestly, even if we don't get K. Rool, the odds of the developers shafting DK in Smash 5 are much lower, after all the "stop shafting DK" comments they've received.

Not that we should be content with no K. Rool, of course, since unlike with so many other characters, there's no valid reason to leave him out. I hope, if that happens, this community at least can band together to communicate "Developers, you messed up," instead of making excuses like the rest of the fanbase will 100% be doing.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Let's not get hung up feeling sorry for ourselves until we get the DLC and K. Rool isn't a part of it.

If Sakurai really wanted K. Rool and more DK content to be there, it would be already, true, but that's exactly why we ought to keep finding votes to submit, even if it's unlikely they're still undecided on who to add...it sends the message that DK and its characters are never to be overlooked again. Honestly, even if we don't get K. Rool, the odds of the developers shafting DK in Smash 5 are much lower, after all the "stop shafting DK" comments they've received.

Not that we should be content with no K. Rool, of course, since unlike with so many other characters, there's no valid reason to leave him out. I hope, if that happens, this community at least can band together to communicate "Developers, you messed up," instead of making excuses like the rest of the fanbase will 100% be doing.
Yes, finally it's been said

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, I'm willing to pitch in if K. Rool doesn't make it in. We need to tell Nintendo that we won't roll over and die this time.

We will wait and plan until, in the vein of a certain kold-blooded kroc, we rise up and strike...~

Top Bottom