• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/rumor-new-nintendo-nx-details-surface/

Well, we could potentially talk about this NX rumor... It mentions some things about NX, and says that Retro's project was pushed back to the console version of the NX (the rumor states that the NX is an entire platform, not just one console. The handheld is coming late next year/early 2017 with the console version coming 6-12 months after the handheld version).

It also lists games in development that include Metroid and F-Zero, though the leaker doesn't know what platform they are on. No indication if either of these two are Retro's project or he has no idea what Retro is doing. However, supposedly its going to be announced in 10-12 months (potentially as early as E3 next year based on the timing).

I'm more inclined to believe this rumor for the most part because its a lot more believable and makes a load of sense, but some parts I question. I'm still positive Retro is doing a DK game. Either a third DKC or a 3D DK. Based on statements, I'm absolutely positive they're not doing Metroid, but there are rumors of other developers doing additional Metroid titles, so that part could easily have nothing to do with Retro.

Anyway, take it with a grain of salt. It could be good or bad regarding another new DK title, we'll have to wait and see. It does state that 2016 is still going to be primarily Wii U as far as consoles go, so even if its true there could still be other things in development, such as Diddy Kong Racing (lolol).

EDIT: Actually, this could explain a HELL OF A LOT of other Nintendo rumors. Namely, the NX launching next year. It could/would be launching next year, but only the handheld portion. That would actually agree with several rumors, including the DKR rumor, Digitimes, etc., because everyone assumes the NX is just going to be a home console, or a straight hybrid. If its a full platform of devices running on the same architecture, that will greatly change how everything plays out.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
On other "news":
Super Mario Bros Z is getting a rebbot! And our beloved king is going to make an appearance !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8qsmLmgI4
Wait they're finally making new episodes?

I remember watching that series years ago back on New Grounds! It was really friggin' good for a mid-2000's fan-animated web series. I also remember watching the last episode, waiting months for the next one, then finally hearing about it being cancelled (Lets hope that doesn't happen this time!). This new preview looks beautifully animated, and it's also cool that they're putting more villains into the series, so I cant wait for this.

Last edited:
I hated that cliffhanger too, fortunately he didn't leave us in the dark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SIxQmwca5U

I hope we have a Metal\Mecha Sonic vs King K Rool fight!
I only hope in the reboot, that Mecha Sonic isn't as OP as before. I know that he was the main villain, but... Good Lord.
Come to think of it, Mecha Sonic was should of the :metaknight:of the series, and nobody could touch them. If someone was, it wasn't going to last.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
if they did this i would explode, they just released the new 3ds.
And that time-frame fits in with every late revision of the prior Nintendo handheld. The Game Boy Advance launched a couple of years after the Game Boy Colour, the 3DS launched a couple of years after the DSi, the New 3DS was released in Japan and Australia at the end of 2014 and elsewhere a couple of months later at the start of 2015... And so it goes. ;)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The most beautiful thing about this results as that even without our votes K.Rool would have ruled them all.
Agreed. I feel as though anyone who wants to bang the drums of "hardcore fans have no influence" will cite the 9% rise in K. Rool votes after the poll was posted here as proof. Thing is, not only would K. Rool trump the other characters anyway, but the Smash Ballot itself -is- open for support threads like our own to influence to as full an extent as we can. If we're "skewing" fan polls, what makes anyone think the ballot itself is immune to that?

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Agreed. I feel as though anyone who wants to bang the drums of "hardcore fans have no influence" will cite the 9% rise in K. Rool votes after the poll was posted here as proof. Thing is, not only would K. Rool trump the other characters anyway, but the Smash Ballot itself -is- open for support threads like our own to influence to as full an extent as we can. If we're "skewing" fan polls, what makes anyone think the ballot itself is immune to that?
The argument that "hardcore fans have no influence" applies to the real ballot. Casuals don't vote on fake ballots.

Not agreeing with the "hardcore fans no influence" thing. 'm just saying that any poll other than the real ballot is garuanteed to have a higher percentage of hardcore fans than the real one does.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Good God, bald DK is horrifying. I had no idea what terrors laid below his luscious cowlick.
I still don't understand why they called it his hair, technically its fur. DK's whole body is covered in "hair" so if he was truly bald, he would be like Bluster in that one scene from hunka hunka burning Bluster.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
The argument that "hardcore fans have no influence" applies to the real ballot. Casuals don't vote on fake ballots.

Not agreeing with the "hardcore fans no influence" thing. 'm just saying that any poll other than the real ballot is guaranteed to have a higher percentage of hardcore fans than the real one does.
In regards to the casuals, I've spoken to a lot of the Smash Bros. players at my college and many of them didn't even know what the Smash Ballot was. (I was trying to convince them to vote for K. Rool.)

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
In regards to the casuals, I've spoken to a lot of the Smash Bros. players at my college and many of them didn't even know what the Smash Ballot was. (I was trying to convince them to vote for K. Rool.)
Yeah there are a lot of Casuals that don't know/care about it. But for the ones that do, and I assume its a decent amount, they mostly aren't gonna be voting on a fan ballot.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
:surprised:And here I was thinking that casuals just voted for characters like Shrek and Goku.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
This feels so desolated....

There's literally NOTHING that we can talk about.....the only thing we is this stupid Metal Mario leak (do people even try anymore?)
This. It's been too quiet. I just want this whole to be over with so we can move on.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
This. It's been too quiet. I just want this whole to be over with so we can move on.
Yes, we need stuff to talk about, and Smash DLC to be hyped for, I mean seriously, does Nintendo not want my money or something?

I've been anxious to spend some money on Wolf and Krool DLC Nintendo.:glare:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I hope Sakurai wants my money. If I see another husbando or a waifu in the roster, I will assume this is not the case. Also seeing how other fighting games are doing, looking at you Killer Instinct and at you Street Fighter, I can't help but wonder why we can't get what we want? R.Mika is in Street Fighter, Rash is in KI, Smash got Ryu which is a big deal but, its something that no one asked for and people want K Rool, so give them K Rool. You gave us Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy, which are great, way better than the blemishes that are present on the current roster. However this is constant, almost prejudice attitude towards villain characters is rather concerning. The excuses, the costumes, all of it is worrisome, because I help but to look at other games of the same genre and ask "They can do it why can't you?" I love Smash but, Sakurai gets on my nerves.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To be fair, I don't think Sakurai goes out of his way to jilt K. Rool. He certainly doesn't have a thing for "waifus and husbandos", that's just silly - it just happens that the context of the game's development went in favour of their priority instead.

Gotta remember too that K. Rool support has always been big, but the ballot is the first time it's really, truly made waves that Nintendo can see; more importantly, it's made waves Nintendo can't evade. If Sakurai skirts around K. Rool now, I will confess that something is amiss in Sakurai's mind. But until the ballot ends and the results become known, it's impossible to say whether fan demand is taken into account. Do bear in mind that these (ugh) "waifus and husbandos" had their share of fan demand, too: Sakurai didn't just pull them out of thin air for the sake of "MUH REPS!"

Pakky

Smash Hero
To be fair, I don't think Sakurai goes out of his way to jilt K. Rool. He certainly doesn't have a thing for "waifus and husbandos", that's just silly - it just happens that the context of the game's development went in favour of their priority instead.

Gotta remember too that K. Rool support has always been big, but the ballot is the first time it's really, truly made waves that Nintendo can see; more importantly, it's made waves Nintendo can't evade. If Sakurai skirts around K. Rool now, I will confess that something is amiss in Sakurai's mind. But until the ballot ends and the results become known, it's impossible to say whether fan demand is taken into account. Do bear in mind that these (ugh) "waifus and husbandos" had their share of fan demand, too: Sakurai didn't just pull them out of thin air for the sake of "MUH REPS!"
True, very true however his love for FE and his own projects makes me, how do you say, antsy. I'm gonna wait it out, however my faith is dwiddling. Fast. If foul play does occur however, like you said, I as well as you and many others will suspect nonsense afoot.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I love Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem too.

You aren't exactly making me lose faith in Sakurai. ;3

But yeah I hope K. Rool makes the cut so the notion that "Sakurai hates Donkey Kong!" will finally die.

I don't think "hate" is a word that can be applied to a man who created an in-character moveset for Diddy Kong and faithfully recreated the textures from a character's classic, fan-beloved design for an optional DLC costume.

Indifferent is the word I'd use.

Pakky

Smash Hero

But yeah I hope K. Rool makes the cut so the notion that "Sakurai hates Donkey Kong!" will finally die.

I don't think "hate" is a word that can be applied to a man who created an in-character moveset for Diddy Kong and faithfully recreated the textures from a character's classic, fan-beloved design for an optional DLC costume.

I suppose, I'm just frustrated.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
if they did this i would explode, they just released the new 3ds.
The new 3DS is just a slightly more powerful 3DS. What's the big deal? Especially if its released in 2017. I figured the new 3DS was created just to hold off on the successor to the 3DS for a couple more years.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The new 3DS is just a slightly more powerful 3DS. What's the big deal? Especially if its released in 2017. I figured the new 3DS was created just to hold off on the successor to the 3DS for a couple more years.
It was, and it's what they do every time - there's always a late, slightly more refined revision released a couple of years prior to the successor (see: Game Boy Colour, DSi, and now New 3DS), aimed at the market who hold off and then buy once a system has a huge library, along with those who are genuinely interested in the new features. (Myself, I bought a New 3DS with full knowledge of this, because of some of the new additions and niceties - I use my 3DS so much that it was absolutely worth it for me. For others, it may well not be.)

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I hope Sakurai wants my money. If I see another husbando or a waifu in the roster, I will assume this is not the case. Also seeing how other fighting games are doing, looking at you Killer Instinct and at you Street Fighter, I can't help but wonder why we can't get what we want? R.Mika is in Street Fighter, Rash is in KI, Smash got Ryu which is a big deal but, its something that no one asked for and people want K Rool, so give them K Rool. You gave us Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy, which are great, way better than the blemishes that are present on the current roster. However this is constant, almost prejudice attitude towards villain characters is rather concerning. The excuses, the costumes, all of it is worrisome, because I help but to look at other games of the same genre and ask "They can do it why can't you?" I love Smash but, Sakurai gets on my nerves.
I feel you, I'm feeling a little nervous about Wolf too, lets hope we get the dream team of Wolf and Krool as DLC. Also they're both British.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It was, and it's what they do every time - there's always a late, slightly more refined revision released a couple of years prior to the successor (see: Game Boy Colour, DSi, and now New 3DS), aimed at the market who hold off and then buy once a system has a huge library, along with those who are genuinely interested in the new features. (Myself, I bought a New 3DS with full knowledge of this, because of some of the new additions and niceties - I use my 3DS so much that it was absolutely worth it for me. For others, it may well not be.)
(Also the Game Boy Advance SP)

Honestly, it's kinda weird, when you think about it, that the 3DS came out like 2 years before the WiiU but has more hope of longevity due to... let's face it, poor marketing, a weak starting library, and incompatability for large 3rd Party support.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
:surprised:And here I was thinking that casuals just voted for characters like Shrek and Goku.
Why would they know what the ballot was. There are only three ways to find out, if you went on the website (unlikely), if you tuned into the specific April direct that the ballot was talked about (again unlikely), or someone told you. People who vote for Shrek or Son Goku are usually hardcore fans that are dumb and wasting their votes/trolls.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
(Also the Game Boy Advance SP)

Honestly, it's kinda weird, when you think about it, that the 3DS came out like 2 years before the WiiU but has more hope of longevity due to... let's face it, poor marketing, a weak starting library, and incompatability for large 3rd Party support.
There's nothing weird I can see about it, if I'm honest, speaking as one who prefers not to have to tether to a television if it can be helped. Portable devices rule in most of the world, and the portables always have the greater lifespan due their affordability both for customers and from a development standpoint.

Also, thanks - I knew I was forgetting one of them, and I couldn't remember what it was. :laugh:

Why would they know what the ballot was. There are only three ways to find out, if you went on the website (unlikely), if you tuned into the specific April direct that the ballot was talked about (again unlikely), or someone told you. People who vote for Shrek or Son Goku are usually hardcore fans that are dumb and wasting their votes/trolls.
Wasn't it mentioned on Nintendo's official Facebook page once, as well?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
There's nothing weird I can see about it, if I'm honest, speaking as one who prefers not to have to tether to a television if it can be helped. Portable devices rule in most of the world, and the portables always have the greater lifespan due their affordability both for customers and from a development standpoint.

Also, thanks - I knew I was forgetting one of them, and I couldn't remember what it was. :laugh:

Wasn't it mentioned on Nintendo's official Facebook page once, as well?
I don't know. Maybe. Still, pretty unlikely that a casual fan would learn about the ballot.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Here's something I don't hear mentioned much when discussing movesets for K. Rool: Would you guys like seeing attacks harkening back to PAONs DK Jungle Climber? I could personally see a tilt or aerial maybe where K. Rool throws a mine or breaths fire. What do you guys think?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Here's something I don't hear mentioned much when discussing movesets for K. Rool: Would you guys like seeing attacks harkening back to PAONs DK Jungle Climber? I could personally see a tilt or aerial maybe where K. Rool throws a mine or breaths fire. What do you guys think?
I really hope King K. Rool doesn't breathe fire. We don't literally need to add fuel to the fire and make people think he's a Bowser clone.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Basically, unless you stumble onto the website or have a hardcore friend, you have to be an online Smash fan to know about the ballot. It's a broad sample size, but not nearly as broad as it's made out to be. Not that I blame people whose characters rely on there being some massive unknown subset of votes for saying things to the contrary, but yeah, the casual bogeyman is just a giant shadow on the wall by something far less imposing.

You're right, but for all intents and purposes, hatred and indifference lead to the same end result for us. At this point, we have to hope that Sakurai likes K. Rool, or at least likes satisfying fans enough to add in a character he wouldn't if left to his own devices.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Ah, the infamous, nebulous "casual" voter base. Those who are not represented on any fan website or partake in exit polls to gauge overall Ballot interest. People seem to forget that this broad stroke of "casual" voters, if they are even aware of the ballot (which makes them closer to hardcore fans than casual ones, more like "medium well" fans), they are likely just as diverse as we are. I seriously doubt there's going to be a single "Champion of the Casuals" and I guarantee you it's not seriously Shrek or Son Goku. If anything the casual votes just bolster ALL the hardcore fanbases to different extents.

And @ Someguyyoulikelydontknow Someguyyoulikelydontknow I don't think anyone here wants to see K. Rool breath fire, since we go to great lengths to try to make him feel different from Bowser. He's a manic crocodile, not a demon turtle or dragon. Most people here, who prefer the Rare design, would like to see moves taken from the Rare games (which is most likely, because Sakurai went out of his way to make the Mii Costume from the Rare Era minus gem, which is PAON blue).

Only because there's so much to pull from the DKC1-3 era alone.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
And @ Someguyyoulikelydontknow Someguyyoulikelydontknow I don't think anyone here wants to see K. Rool breath fire, since we go to great lengths to try to make him feel different from Bowser. He's a manic crocodile, not a demon turtle or dragon. Most people here, who prefer the Rare design, would like to see moves taken from the Rare games (which is most likely, because Sakurai went out of his way to make the Mii Costume from the Rare Era minus gem, which is PAON blue).

Only because there's so much to pull from the DKC1-3 era alone.
Fair point, I am certainly in favor of the Rare design as well. I forgot about the "Bowser clone" debates as well. I was just thinking that Jungle Climber WAS an appearance of K. Rool.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Thinking of how big k rool should be, I think he should be bowsers size in adventure mode in melee. You know.. when you fight him in the last level

D

Deleted member

Thinking of how big k rool should be, I think he should be bowsers size in adventure mode in melee. You know.. when you fight him in the last level

but that's just bowser with a permanent super mushroom effect.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
NEW THING THAT KEEPS ME AWAKE AT NIGHT: King K. Rool could be selected from the ballot next to many others. But so far we don't know how they plan to distribute the ballot characters (assuming there are 2 or more). Could K. Rool be held back at the end of the game's because it would be hype worthy.

First character that I can expect in October is Wolf (this guy is more in than K. Rool before the Mii costume). After that, they could hold on the next character until December. I guess it shouldn't matter as long we get K. Rool. But on the other hand, the waiting is dreadful.

On a side note. When K. Rool is revealed. Anyone expecting to see people going"Who is that guy? Is he even important? I don't care for him. I voted once for Shrek at the start and never cared for the ballot again until now" on the gaming news sites?.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I doubt it, @ Banjo-Kazooie Banjo-Kazooie K. Rool has been everywhere, especially prior to the Mii Costume. Before that damnable costume, sites everywhere were lamenting the end of the ballot with K. Rool as the clear winner. It was a damn good time to be a Kutthroat. Then it all came crashing down...

Let's just hope those NoA employees were right in saying that the costume doesn't change K. Rool's chances.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I doubt it, @ Banjo-Kazooie Banjo-Kazooie K. Rool has been everywhere, especially prior to the Mii Costume. Before that damnable costume, sites everywhere were lamenting the end of the ballot with K. Rool as the clear winner. It was a damn good time to be a Kutthroat. Then it all came crashing down...

Let's just hope those NoA employees were right in saying that the costume doesn't change K. Rool's chances.
Believe me I met some guys at a local tourney a couple of weeks ago who asked me "Who is K. Rool?". There are some people who only play Smash because its a competitive fighting game and barely know or care who is in it.
Need to print a pin that says "Ask me about King K. Rool".

Top Bottom