• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So say if Kong Side had Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong. Kremling Side would have King K. Rool, Krusha, and Klump? I have no idea on a fourth Kremling if the Kongs also get Cranky Kong.
Krunch, of course! He hasn't been since since Diddy Kong Racing, but I'd love to see him return, even if only for the way in which he deems others "Hopeless" (if anyone else remembers his complaint about his cohorts, as noted in the manual). :laugh:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Krunch, of course! He hasn't been since since Diddy Kong Racing, but I'd love to see him return, even if only for the way in which he deems others "Hopeless" (if anyone else remembers his complaint about his cohorts, as noted in the manual). :laugh:
TEAM KONG VS. TEAM KREMLING
Donkey Kong King K. Rool
Diddy Kong Krunch
Dixie Kong Klump
Cranky Kong Krusha

In a 3D Retro game that's a spiritual successor to Donkey Kong 64, without the horrible collectathon and an emphasis on open exploration, using the abilities of different characters to defeat enemies, access hidden areas, and change the world based on which team you support. The story unfolds based on your team of choice, and you will frequently butt heads and fight the other team at certain points in the story.

Glorious.

Absolutely glorious.

And an unlockable mode where you get to play as Bluster Kong, in his own team, TEAM BLUSTER

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm afraid I'd have to pass on that. :laugh: As much as I'll be Dededelighted to see K. Rool return, I can't stomach 3D platformers in the slightest.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm afraid I'd have to pass on that. :laugh: As much as I'll be Dededelighted to see K. Rool return, I can't stomach 3D platformers in the slightest.
Alright fine. In a hypothetical DKCR3 game, with a Kong and Kremling campaign, what type of game would you like it to be? The traditional 2D platformer?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Alright fine. In a hypothetical DKCR3 game, with a Kong and Kremling campaign, what type of game would you like it to be? The traditional 2D platformer?
Call me a traditionalist, but yeah, exactly that. :laugh: It's how he debuted and how he ought to return (and should have already), but that's just in my book. :p

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I love Kludge, his design is probably my favorite of the Kremlings. In fact I'd have him replace Krusha in a heartbeat. Definitely the big brute enforcer of the Kremling Krew. As for Kip and Kass I feel like they are Diddy and Dixie clones without the interesting aspects of those characters. I prefer Krunch to be Diddy's rival since he was in Diddy Kong Racing. Kalypso I don't care for at all, for the same reasons I don't care for Candy Kong. I just don't like having too obviously female designs on characters who make no sense having them (I'm talkin jugs on crocs, looks weird to me, so does that silly purple afro)

I'd be willing to switch out Krusha for Kludge but I'd keep Krunch in place of Kip or Kass.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I love Kludge, his design is probably my favorite of the Kremlings. In fact I'd have him replace Krusha in a heartbeat. Definitely the big brute enforcer of the Kremling Krew. As for Kip and Kass I feel like they are Diddy and Dixie clones without the interesting aspects of those characters. I prefer Krunch to be Diddy's rival since he was in Diddy Kong Racing. Kalypso I don't care for at all, for the same reasons I don't care for Candy Kong. I just don't like having too obviously female designs on characters who make no sense having them (I'm talkin jugs on crocs, looks weird to me, so does that silly purple afro)

I'd be willing to switch out Krusha for Kludge but I'd keep Krunch in place of Kip or Kass.
Hey Hey!
He has juggs!

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Hey Hey!
He has juggs!
I don't care for Klump either.

He just seems logical to pick because of the cartoon lending Klump to being one of K. Rool's closest generals.

You know what fine, replace Klump with Kalypso for a female Kremling, if she gets a redesign.

Pakky

Smash Hero

He just seems logical to pick because of the cartoon lending Klump to being one of K. Rool's closest generals.

You know what fine, replace Klump with Kalypso for a female Kremling, if she gets a redesign.
I like redesigns, I hope she doesn't have a gun though...

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I'm sure it's been talked about a dozen times in this thread already, but I wanted to poll you fellows over which aspects of K. Rool's designs you prefer.

* Big crown or little?
* Gold-plated belly or fleshy belly?
* Tail or no tail?
* Long cape or short cape?
* Three toes or four?

My personal preferences are big crown (especially if he's going to throw it), fleshy belly, tail, long cape, three toes. Of course, if he appeared exactly this way, there would be jarring clipping issues with his tail going through the cape, like with Tanooki Marth, but I can endure it.
Big, Badass Gold armour-plated belly of grandeur, Tail(he's a kroc! having no tail doesnt look right!), long and billowing, and.. i don't really care.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Why not both? Klump can remain one of K. Rool's closest generals (this was even established in DKC's manual as well, not just in the cartoon) and Kalypso can be his second main sidekick. Though I would prefer Kalypso to get a redesign.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705

Wrote the words right out of my keyboard friend. Kludge is cool. Though K. Rool would be Donkey's counterpart so we don't have anyone to pair against Kludge.. maybe Chunky.
Krunch could use a redesign to stand out of the average Kremling and look less like Wally Gator with a vest.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Why not both? Klump can remain one of K. Rool's closest generals (this was even established in DKC's manual as well, not just in the cartoon) and Kalypso can be his second main sidekick. Though I would prefer Kalypso to get a redesign.
Kludge, Klump, and Kalypso? Sounds good to me, again, agreed on the redesign for Kalypso.

I mean come on, I'd play as this guy in a heart beat

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Do you guys really hate Kalypso because of her breasts? That seems... silly.

Do you hate Krystal for the same reason?

Anyway I believe Kalypso's design makes perfect sense for the kind of character she's supposed to be. A diva. It's pretty obvious given her animations and expressions in Barrel Blast.

Having a mature womanly figure exemplifies her diva personality. She's arrogant, egocentric, and a total show off. Think Miss Piggy from the Muppets.

Contrast that with Kass who has the proportions of a child. She's meant to come off as immature and bratty.

So you see, I don't think they gave Kalypso breasts for fanservice.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I've promised it yesterday, here's my K. Rool moveset based on Kaptain K. Rool as his main persona, rather than a nth general King K. Rool moveset:

Attributes:
Weight: 126 - Walk speed: 0.93 - Running speed: 1.632
Air speed: 0.84 - Air acceleration: 0.052 - Gravity: 0.079 - Traction: 0.07
In addition, Kaptain K. Rool has one of the worst jump in the game, both on the ground and in the air.
And obviously only has one mid-air jump.

Jab: Kaptain Kombo. First hit: Kaptain K. Rool first punches with his left hand (inspired from his boxer appearance in DK64). Second hit: he uses his blunderbuss as a mace. Third and final hit: he creates an explosion at the tip of the blunderbuss. Role: quick clean-up
Side tilt: Hook Hit. Kaptain K. Rool uses a hook in his hand as a close range attack. With almost no startup and good base knockback, but non-negligible ending lag and poor knockback scaling, it is designed primarily to be a way to quickly repel a close enemy. Role: quick clean-up
Up tilt: Hook Circle Arc. Kaptain K. Rool uses a hook in his hand as a way to attack above him, describing a circle arc. Similar to the Hook Hit, it has no startup despite a non-negligible ending lag, ans it also has good base knockback and poor knockback scaling. Role: quick clean-up
Down tilt: Ground Pound. Inspired from the boss battle from Donkey Kong 64. Kaptain K. Rool will do a small leap to quickly do a butt stomp on the ground. An enemy hit by K. Rool himself will be burried, while someone who hit a disjointed shockwave will receive vertical knockback. Can be a kill move at high percentages, but its non-negligible starting lag and very noticeable ending lag don't make it practical to use. Role: punish/kill/set-up move
Dash attack: Blunderbuss Dash. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss behind him and creates an explosion which will send him forward. The explosion is the move's most powerful hitbox; his body during the dash also has a hitbox, though it is not as powerful. This dash attack is unique as the enemy must be behind Kaptain K. Rool in order to be the most powerful. Role: mobility/combo (Kaptain hitbox)/kill (disjointed hitbox)

Side smash: Kannonball Trap. Kaptain K. Rool will shoot a kannonball in front on him, which will not go very far, and anyone hit by the kannonball will receive high damage and knockback. Can be angled. The Kannonball will remain on the field for a few seconds before it becomes spiked; before this, it can be picked up as an heavy item and thrown for heavy damage and knockback. If it remains on the field for a few seconds before being picked up, it will become a spiked kannonball, which will act like a temporary Unira until it disappears. If Kaptain K. Rool used his forward smash before the kannonball it generated disappears, it will instead produce a moderately powerful explosion instead at the tip of the blunderbuss, though it is rather weak for a forward smash. Role: pressure/stage control/set-up/kill
Up smash: Barrel Shoot. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss above him and shoots a barrel at 70°, which will go slightly high but quickly fall due to gravity. Anyone hit by the barrel receives high damage and knockback. Role: pressure/kill
Down smash: Spinning Flamethrower. Using his blunderbuss as a flamethrower, Kaptain K. Rool will first attack on the floor forward him, and spin to then attack backwards and finally attack forward him once again. Its good frame data make it a good move to easily clean up things around K. Rool, but it's not really a good kill move. Role: quick clean-up

Neutral air: Fast Spin. Kaptain K. Rool spins on himself, similar to Meta Knight's neutral air. Low startup, but bad combo move. Role: combo escape/clean-up
Forward air: Horizontal Flamethrower. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss forward and uses it as a flamethrower. Multi-hit move with good horizontal range, with the animation remaining mostly the same through the entire move's duration. Role: zoning/pressure/combo
Back air: Blunderbuss Propulsion. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss behind him and create a powerful explosion at its tip, which will also propel him slightly forward. The explosion has two hitboxes: the closest one is the most powerful and will inflict 70° angle knockback, while the second hitbox, larger, is less powerful but inflicts 25° angle knockback, which results into a semi-spike. The move's startup and the sweetspot's poor range make the later impractical to use, though. Role: bait/off-stage kill/mobility
Up air: Sabre Slash. Kaptain K. Rool uses a sabre to do a quick slash above him. Quick, but range is low. Role: combo/juggling
Down air: Belly Flop. Inspired from the move used in Donkey Kong Land, Kaptain K. Rool falls while doing a belly flop. At the beginning of the move it will inflict rather poor vertical knockback, but towards the end it becomes a powerful meteor smash. High landing lag. Role: off-stage kill

Grab: Blunderbuss Vacuum. While the grab range itself is one of the worst in the game, it produces a long range windbox that pulls the opponent towards Kaptain K. Rool himself; combined with the rather long grab window, it makes this move one of the most effective ranged grabs in the game, though it has a rather noticeable startup. Role: well... grab
Pummel: Blunderbuss Slap. While holding the opponent with his left hand, Kaptain K. Rool will hit the grabed character with his blunderbuss he holds in his right hand. This pummel is strong (inflicts 3.4%) but rather slow. Role: free damage, obviously
Forward throw: Double Kannonball Shoot. Kaptain K. Rool throw the enemy forward with fixed knocbkack, then shoots tho kannonballs with the second inflicting damage scaling knockback. Role: best throw damage wise
Back throw: Violent Throw. Looks kinda generic, Kaptain K. Rool just throws the enemy behind him with strength. Role: backward kill
Up throw: Flamethrower Pillar. Kaptain K. Rool throws the enemy above him in a straight vertical line with fixed knockback, then uses his blunderbuss above him as a flamethrower to his the opponent in the air. The flame pillar itself is a multi-hit move, with the last move inflicting high knockback scaling. Role: best combo starter throw
Down throw: Final Explosion. Kaptain K. Rool violently throws the enemy on the ground, then aims his blunderbuss at the ground to create a powerful explosion where the enemy was thrown, in order to inflict high diagonal knockback. Role: forward kill

Neutral special: Status Gas. Kaptain K. Rool releases up to three clouds of status gases, according to the number of times you press the special move button. This move alternates between three different status gases every time you use it. You'll start with blue gases, which will freeze the victim (like a Freezer item or PK Freeze, not like in the original game), then you'll use red gases which will slow down the enemy for a few seconds similar to the Timer item in addition to inflict some damage and knockback, and finally purple gases which lose their reverse control properties from the original game as I don't think they would translate well to Smash and instead inflict high damage and knockback and can reliably kill. Role: pressure/zoning/set-up/kill

Side special: Hook Toss. Inspired from both the Krown Toss King K. Rool uses in the original Donkey Kong Country and the Krook enemy from DKC2. Kaptain K. Rool throws a hook as a projectile attack, which will eventually go back to him like a boomerang. The farther the hook is from Kaptain K. Rool, the stronger it becomes. It is also fast for a projectile, making it perfect for long-range quick punishes. He remains stationary until the hook comes back at him or if he takes hitstun from an attack, and the only things he can do while waiting for the thrown hook to come back is his forward and up tilt (which are melee hook attack). Role: ranged punish/kill

Up special: Blunderbuss Rocket. Kaptain K. Rool creates an explosion below him as a way to use it as a rocket. This move has a quite noticeable startup before the explosion that will make launch himself detonates. After starting the move you can use your stick to go towards right or left: if used on the ground, you can only launch yourself vetically without tilting the stick towards right or left, otherwise Kaptain K. Rool will go in a straight horizontal direction. When used in the air you can tilt the stick towards left or right to influence his direction, but he will never go straight horizontally, nor downwards, and the influence your stick tilting has on the direction you take also depends on how much you tilt it. This move can also be used for offense. The move has two hitboxes: one strong one which takes most of the move's duration, and one slightly weaker that only durates from one frame but will go beyond the first hitbox in range and inflict a different knockback angle. Here are the launching angles for each use of this move:
Grounded, no tilt: first hitbox inflicts 70° knockback and is stronger than usual, second hitbox doesn't exist.
Grounded, tilted: first hitbox inflicts Sakurai angle knockback, second hitbox inflicts 25° angle knocback (semi-spike). Kaptain K. Rool himself also gets a hitbox when he's being launched, though it is considerably weaker than the explosion.
Aerial, no tilt: first hotbox inflicts 45° knockback, second hitbox inflicts 270° knockback (meteor smash).
Aerial, stick tilted up to 60° (0° corresponds here to a straight up vertical line): first hitbox inflicts 60° knockback, second hitbox inflicts Sakurai angle knockback.
Aerial, stick tilted at least 61° (0° corresponds here to a straight up vertical line): first hitbox inflicts 40° knockback, second hitbox inflicts 28° knockback (semi-spike).
Role: off-stage kill/recovery

Down special: Bouncing Kannonball. Kaptain K. Rool shoots a spiked kannonball from his blunderbuss which will bounce (not very high though) three times before disappearing. This is a strong projectile, though its speed and range doesn't match the Hook Toss, and it isn't as strong as a sweetspotted Hook Toss or a purple Status Gas cloud. This move is mostly useful as a pressure tool, as the kannonballs go farther than the Status gases clouds and the fact they bounce also makes them more dangerous in a larger area. Also, if this move is used in the air, it increases the power of the kannonball before it hits the ground and starts bouncing. Role: pressure/edgeguarding

Final Smash: Kannonball Barrage. Inspired from the same move King K. Rool uses in his DKC1 boss, however instead of stomping on the ground to make the kannonballs fall Kaptain K. Rool aims at the sky to throw twelve kannonballs. A shadow spawns regularly at where's a random enemy, then a kannonball fals from the sky to fall in the selected spot, though the enemy can avoid it if they move quickly enough before the kannonball hits them. Even though each individual kannonball targets one single character at first, any other character (excluding the one who initiated this Final Smash, as well as his teammates in team battle without friendly fire) can be hit by a kannonball. This Final Smash stops when the 12th kannonball falls. If someone if hit by a falling kannonball, they receive 25% damage and massive knockback. Note that Kaptain K. Rool is regularly vulnerable to other attacks during the Final Smash's duration. Role: destroy everyone in FFA

And because I'm too lazy to detail them, I'll just say that the ledge attack also uses a sabre and that both floor atacks use a hook :p
In addition, when he's using his Blunderbuss Vacuum, a enemy may pick up a kannonball generated by Kannonball Trap which has yet to become spiked and throw it at Kaptain K. Rool in order to create a special event: Kaptain K. Rool enters a unique animation when he's shown to be confused, during which he will be intangible, then an explosion will happen and inflict him 40% damage and massive knockback, most likely killing him if he doesn't have near zero damage. Other characters can also be harmed as well if they're hit by the explosion's hitbox.

Kaptain K. Rool's general playstyle relies on heavy pressure, by using ranged attacks and projectiles in order to make approach difficult. However, due to his massive weight and hitbox, and low gravity, he will be easy to combo by most characters. As such, you must do as much as possible to not be approached too dangereously, though you fortunately have quick clean-up moves with decent base knockback which will help you to escape combos and stand a chance against rushdown characters.

Flavour-wise, my priority was to give Kaptain K. Rool a pirate-themed moveset, based mostly on stuff from Donkey Kong Country 2. His signature blunderbuss is a must, with many elements of his boss fight incorporated in his moveset such as status gases, vacuum grab, and bouncing spiked kannonballs. I've also opened myself to creatives liberties, such as a flamethrower function to his blunderbuss, as well as hooks and a few sabre attacks to put emphasis on his pirate theme. Other elements from other K. Rool boss fights are also included, such as the krown toss (with the krown replaced with a hook), the Donkey Kong Land belly flop, and the Donkey Kong 64 butt stomp. Other animations should also be inspired from K. Rool's numerous appearances, such as dashing animation from DKC1, or hitstun animation from DKC3.

What do you think about this? Do you think it would be possible to see a such moveset from Sakurai himself? How would you react if K. Rool was in Smash with Kaptain as his main persona and a moveset like this?

To be honest I'm more proud of this moveset that any general King K. Rool I've imagined. I find Kaptain to open more room for creative liberties and make sure the entire moveset feels thematically coherent. Overall I just find Kaptain to be more interesting to design a moveset for than a general K. Rool.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Replace Krusha? But he's one of the first Kremlings to ever become playable!

He was an unlockable character in DK64's multiplayer mode. Interestingly enough, he does not appear anywhere else in the game, so it really was a rather unique reward.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I've promised it yesterday, here's my K. Rool moveset based on Kaptain K. Rool as his main persona, rather than a nth general King K. Rool moveset:
Attributes:
Weight: 126 - Walk speed: 0.93 - Running speed: 1.632
Air speed: 0.84 - Air acceleration: 0.052 - Gravity: 0.079 - Traction: 0.07
In addition, Kaptain K. Rool has one of the worst jump in the game, both on the ground and in the air.
And obviously only has one mid-air jump.

Jab: Kaptain Kombo. First hit: Kaptain K. Rool first punches with his left hand (inspired from his boxer appearance in DK64). Second hit: he uses his blunderbuss as a mace. Third and final hit: he creates an explosion at the tip of the blunderbuss. Role: quick clean-up
Side tilt: Hook Hit. Kaptain K. Rool uses a hook in his hand as a close range attack. With almost no startup and good base knockback, but non-negligible ending lag and poor knockback scaling, it is designed primarily to be a way to quickly repel a close enemy. Role: quick clean-up
Up tilt: Hook Circle Arc. Kaptain K. Rool uses a hook in his hand as a way to attack above him, describing a circle arc. Similar to the Hook Hit, it has no startup despite a non-negligible ending lag, ans it also has good base knockback and poor knockback scaling. Role: quick clean-up
Down tilt: Ground Pound. Inspired from the boss battle from Donkey Kong 64. Kaptain K. Rool will do a small leap to quickly do a butt stomp on the ground. An enemy hit by K. Rool himself will be burried, while someone who hit a disjointed shockwave will receive vertical knockback. Can be a kill move at high percentages, but its non-negligible starting lag and very noticeable ending lag don't make it practical to use. Role: punish/kill/set-up move
Dash attack: Blunderbuss Dash. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss behind him and creates an explosion which will send him forward. The explosion is the move's most powerful hitbox; his body during the dash also has a hitbox, though it is not as powerful. This dash attack is unique as the enemy must be behind Kaptain K. Rool in order to be the most powerful. Role: mobility/combo (Kaptain hitbox)/kill (disjointed hitbox)

Side smash: Kannonball Trap. Kaptain K. Rool will shoot a kannonball in front on him, which will not go very far, and anyone hit by the kannonball will receive high damage and knockback. Can be angled. The Kannonball will remain on the field for a few seconds before it becomes spiked; before this, it can be picked up as an heavy item and thrown for heavy damage and knockback. If it remains on the field for a few seconds before being picked up, it will become a spiked kannonball, which will act like a temporary Unira until it disappears. If Kaptain K. Rool used his forward smash before the kannonball it generated disappears, it will instead produce a moderately powerful explosion instead at the tip of the blunderbuss, though it is rather weak for a forward smash. Role: pressure/stage control/set-up/kill
Up smash: Barrel Shoot. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss above him and shoots a barrel at 70°, which will go slightly high but quickly fall due to gravity. Anyone hit by the barrel receives high damage and knockback. Role: pressure/kill
Down smash: Spinning Flamethrower. Using his blunderbuss as a flamethrower, Kaptain K. Rool will first attack on the floor forward him, and spin to then attack backwards and finally attack forward him once again. Its good frame data make it a good move to easily clean up things around K. Rool, but it's not really a good kill move. Role: quick clean-up

Neutral air: Fast Spin. Kaptain K. Rool spins on himself, similar to Meta Knight's neutral air. Low startup, but bad combo move. Role: combo escape/clean-up
Forward air: Horizontal Flamethrower. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss forward and uses it as a flamethrower. Multi-hit move with good horizontal range, with the animation remaining mostly the same through the entire move's duration. Role: zoning/pressure/combo
Back air: Blunderbuss Propulsion. Kaptain K. Rool aims his blunderbuss behind him and create a powerful explosion at its tip, which will also propel him slightly forward. The explosion has two hitboxes: the closest one is the most powerful and will inflict 70° angle knockback, while the second hitbox, larger, is less powerful but inflicts 25° angle knockback, which results into a semi-spike. The move's startup and the sweetspot's poor range make the later impractical to use, though. Role: bait/off-stage kill/mobility
Up air: Sabre Slash. Kaptain K. Rool uses a sabre to do a quick slash above him. Quick, but range is low. Role: combo/juggling
Down air: Belly Flop. Inspired from the move used in Donkey Kong Land, Kaptain K. Rool falls while doing a belly flop. At the beginning of the move it will inflict rather poor vertical knockback, but towards the end it becomes a powerful meteor smash. High landing lag. Role: off-stage kill

Grab: Blunderbuss Vacuum. While the grab range itself is one of the worst in the game, it produces a long range windbox that pulls the opponent towards Kaptain K. Rool himself; combined with the rather long grab window, it makes this move one of the most effective ranged grabs in the game, though it has a rather noticeable startup. Role: well... grab
Pummel: Blunderbuss Slap. While holding the opponent with his left hand, Kaptain K. Rool will hit the grabed character with his blunderbuss he holds in his right hand. This pummel is strong (inflicts 3.4%) but rather slow. Role: free damage, obviously
Forward throw: Double Kannonball Shoot. Kaptain K. Rool throw the enemy forward with fixed knocbkack, then shoots tho kannonballs with the second inflicting damage scaling knockback. Role: best throw damage wise
Back throw: Violent Throw. Looks kinda generic, Kaptain K. Rool just throws the enemy behind him with strength. Role: backward kill
Up throw: Flamethrower Pillar. Kaptain K. Rool throws the enemy above him in a straight vertical line with fixed knockback, then uses his blunderbuss above him as a flamethrower to his the opponent in the air. The flame pillar itself is a multi-hit move, with the last move inflicting high knockback scaling. Role: best combo starter throw
Down throw: Final Explosion. Kaptain K. Rool violently throws the enemy on the ground, then aims his blunderbuss at the ground to create a powerful explosion where the enemy was thrown, in order to inflict high diagonal knockback. Role: forward kill

Neutral special: Status Gas. Kaptain K. Rool releases up to three clouds of status gases, according to the number of times you press the special move button. This move alternates between three different status gases every time you use it. You'll start with blue gases, which will freeze the victim (like a Freezer item or PK Freeze, not like in the original game), then you'll use red gases which will slow down the enemy for a few seconds similar to the Timer item in addition to inflict some damage and knockback, and finally purple gases which lose their reverse control properties from the original game as I don't think they would translate well to Smash and instead inflict high damage and knockback and can reliably kill. Role: pressure/zoning/set-up/kill

Side special: Hook Toss. Inspired from both the Krown Toss King K. Rool uses in the original Donkey Kong Country and the Krook enemy from DKC2. Kaptain K. Rool throws a hook as a projectile attack, which will eventually go back to him like a boomerang. The farther the hook is from Kaptain K. Rool, the stronger it becomes. It is also fast for a projectile, making it perfect for long-range quick punishes. He remains stationary until the hook comes back at him or if he takes hitstun from an attack, and the only things he can do while waiting for the thrown hook to come back is his forward and up tilt (which are melee hook attack). Role: ranged punish/kill

Up special: Blunderbuss Rocket. Kaptain K. Rool creates an explosion below him as a way to use it as a rocket. This move has a quite noticeable startup before the explosion that will make launch himself detonates. After starting the move you can use your stick to go towards right or left: if used on the ground, you can only launch yourself vetically without tilting the stick towards right or left, otherwise Kaptain K. Rool will go in a straight horizontal direction. When used in the air you can tilt the stick towards left or right to influence his direction, but he will never go straight horizontally, nor downwards, and the influence your stick tilting has on the direction you take also depends on how much you tilt it. This move can also be used for offense. The move has two hitboxes: one strong one which takes most of the move's duration, and one slightly weaker that only durates from one frame but will go beyond the first hitbox in range and inflict a different knockback angle. Here are the launching angles for each use of this move:
Grounded, no tilt: first hitbox inflicts 70° knockback and is stronger than usual, second hitbox doesn't exist.
Grounded, tilted: first hitbox inflicts Sakurai angle knockback, second hitbox inflicts 25° angle knocback (semi-spike). Kaptain K. Rool himself also gets a hitbox when he's being launched, though it is considerably weaker than the explosion.
Aerial, no tilt: first hotbox inflicts 45° knockback, second hitbox inflicts 270° knockback (meteor smash).
Aerial, stick tilted up to 60° (0° corresponds here to a straight up vertical line): first hitbox inflicts 60° knockback, second hitbox inflicts Sakurai angle knockback.
Aerial, stick tilted at least 61° (0° corresponds here to a straight up vertical line): first hitbox inflicts 40° knockback, second hitbox inflicts 28° knockback (semi-spike).
Role: off-stage kill/recovery

Down special: Bouncing Kannonball. Kaptain K. Rool shoots a spiked kannonball from his blunderbuss which will bounce (not very high though) three times before disappearing. This is a strong projectile, though its speed and range doesn't match the Hook Toss, and it isn't as strong as a sweetspotted Hook Toss or a purple Status Gas cloud. This move is mostly useful as a pressure tool, as the kannonballs go farther than the Status gases clouds and the fact they bounce also makes them more dangerous in a larger area. Also, if this move is used in the air, it increases the power of the kannonball before it hits the ground and starts bouncing. Role: pressure/edgeguarding

Final Smash: Kannonball Barrage. Inspired from the same move King K. Rool uses in his DKC1 boss, however instead of stomping on the ground to make the kannonballs fall Kaptain K. Rool aims at the sky to throw twelve kannonballs. A shadow spawns regularly at where's a random enemy, then a kannonball fals from the sky to fall in the selected spot, though the enemy can avoid it if they move quickly enough before the kannonball hits them. Even though each individual kannonball targets one single character at first, any other character (excluding the one who initiated this Final Smash, as well as his teammates in team battle without friendly fire) can be hit by a kannonball. This Final Smash stops when the 12th kannonball falls. If someone if hit by a falling kannonball, they receive 25% damage and massive knockback. Note that Kaptain K. Rool is regularly vulnerable to other attacks during the Final Smash's duration. Role: destroy everyone in FFA

And because I'm too lazy to detail them, I'll just say that the ledge attack also uses a sabre and that both floor atacks use a hook :p
In addition, when he's using his Blunderbuss Vacuum, a enemy may pick up a kannonball generated by Kannonball Trap which has yet to become spiked and throw it at Kaptain K. Rool in order to create a special event: Kaptain K. Rool enters a unique animation when he's shown to be confused, during which he will be intangible, then an explosion will happen and inflict him 40% damage and massive knockback, most likely killing him if he doesn't have near zero damage. Other characters can also be harmed as well if they're hit by the explosion's hitbox.

Kaptain K. Rool's general playstyle relies on heavy pressure, by using ranged attacks and projectiles in order to make approach difficult. However, due to his massive weight and hitbox, and low gravity, he will be easy to combo by most characters. As such, you must do as much as possible to not be approached too dangereously, though you fortunately have quick clean-up moves with decent base knockback which will help you to escape combos and stand a chance against rushdown characters.

Flavour-wise, my priority was to give Kaptain K. Rool a pirate-themed moveset, based mostly on stuff from Donkey Kong Country 2. His signature blunderbuss is a must, with many elements of his boss fight incorporated in his moveset such as status gases, vacuum grab, and bouncing spiked kannonballs. I've also opened myself to creatives liberties, such as a flamethrower function to his blunderbuss, as well as hooks and a few sabre attacks to put emphasis on his pirate theme. Other elements from other K. Rool boss fights are also include, such as the krown toss (with the krown replaced with a hook), the Donkey Kong Land belly flop, and the Donkey Kong 64 butt stomp. Other animations should also be inspired from K. Rool's numerous appearances, such as dashing animation from DKC1, or hitstun animation from DKC3.

What do you think about this? Do you think it would be possible to see a such moveset from Sakurai himself? How would you react if K. Rool was in Smash with Kaptain as his main persona and a moveset like this?

To be honest I'm more proud of this moveset that any general King K. Rool I've imagined. I find Kaptain to open more room for creative liberties and make sure the entire moveset feels thematically coherent. Overall I just find Kaptain to be more interesting to design a moveset for than a general K. Rool.
I like it. It definitely gets the Kaptain across, but it also feels similar enough to most of the general movesets that it shouldn't alienate anyone. It also includes the specific elements I think are a must (traps and throwable cannonball) so I would absolutely use it.

Specifics:
- D-Tilt feels like it should be D-Smash based on your descriptions. It's not that important but just doesn't feel quite right to me as it is. D-Smash is also probably my least favourite move of the entire moveset.
- the two properties of Side Smash feel like they should be in separate moves to me though I understand there could be balancing concerns about having the trap and the item simultaneously.
- I am a big fan of the throws.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of sidekicks, I want Klump and Krusha to remain as K. Rool right hand men. The cartoon has endeared me to both, especially Klump.

Kludge and Kalypso kind of look like heads of a gangster mob to me, and actually look competent unlike Klump and Krusha. :p They could be independent of K. Rool too, just to add a 3rd side to the konflict.

:231:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I can't see K. Rool without Klump and Krusha to work off of. It's like seeing Dr. Eggman without Orbot and Cubot now, it just doesn't seem right.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Klump and Krusha are staples. It's like getting rid of Bowser Jr and the Koopalings to me.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I know a lot of people on DK Vine don't like the idea of there being one Klump and one Krusha as fleshed-out characters in lieu of them being drones, but the way I see it, make them individuals and allow Retro or whoever to make new big Kremlings to fill their old shoes. It gives K. Rool someone to bounce off of and they're fun characters in their own ways as well.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Is this a concern or a bunch of hot air? Not really off topic because its about the future of Smash bros.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Eh, Klump and Krusha have never been individual characters in the games. They're species. I'm not a fan of retconning.

Retro could just create some new characters if they want K. Rool to have permanent generals. Though personally I think he's fine on his own.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
i find it weirder that his voice is completely different in the final batte
Probably because he's yelling and shouting while trying to clobber you?

Eh, Klump and Krusha have never been individual characters in the games. They're species. I'm not a fan of retconning.

Retro could just create some new characters if they want K. Rool to have permanent generals. Though personally I think he's fine on his own.
Klump and Krusha will always be K. Rool's real high generals to me. If anything, still use them but add new ones as well, I'm sure Klubba and Kudgel counted as some in DKC2.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

Is this a concern or a bunch of hot air? Not really off topic because its about the future of Smash bros.
That is incredibly soon, even sooner than my soonest expectations. If this is the case then I have no doubt at all that Zelda U will get a dual release Twilight Princess style. As far as Smash is concerned I just hope it's backward compatible (which I have no doubt it will be, this is Nintendo we're talking about) and if not there is a Super Smash Bros. for NX in the works, as some sort of GotY edition with all DLC and...just maybe combined Wii U and 3DS stages?

A bit too early for this speculation I'd wager.

you posted the results page,but its no problem all you got to do is erase the /r

http://strawpoll.me/5379893

it would be nice if we knew how the smash ballot worked,i see people commenting that they are spamming their character in the ballot just to make it look like more people want that character,i personally only voted 1 time for k rool back when the ballot just started.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i was checking some k.rool videos,
and there is one demonstrating what could be the victory k.rool scene.
https://youtu.be/spTAlwMQ56c?t=1m11s

if k.rool is in the game i believe this it would be similar to that model.
my post is not important but my k.rool hype is just too high!

and again, sorry of my bad english, it's not my main, i'm still learning the language ! ;)

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I just hope he looks more like his rare design, maybe his eyes don't have to be as googly except the bulging red one of his, but I want his long snout and teeth showing again as well as the tail, maybe I can get used to the none golden plate armor but still want him with a bigger crown. but if he looks like the mii costume but in better detail and quality, I'll be even more happy.
I'm curious as to how they will portray K. Rools arms. An often overlooked facet of his design, but a necessity nonetheless. Will they be shorter, like the PAON design? Or will they be huge and lanky, like the King design?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
That is incredibly soon, even sooner than my soonest expectations. If this is the case then I have no doubt at all that Zelda U will get a dual release Twilight Princess style. As far as Smash is concerned I just hope it's backward compatible (which I have no doubt it will be, this is Nintendo we're talking about) and if not there is a Super Smash Bros. for NX in the works, as some sort of GotY edition with all DLC and...just maybe combined Wii U and 3DS stages?

man... sma5h already! way too soon man.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572

A Smash Wii U Gold addition on the NX would be awesome! Prepackage all DLC? I'd be totally down.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I actually commented on this in a different chat, but basically, the source for this is Digitimes from Taiwan. Keep in mind, this article is MONTHS old; Rich from ReviewTechUSA just didn't see it until now. Many people seem to think this is a confirmation.

Here's what I found on the subject: http://techland.time.com/2012/05/14/digitimes-apple-rumors/

First of all, the article makes it known right from the start that many people commenting on Apple rumors regarding Digitimes commented that Digitimes isn't the most accurate. Granted, the date is a bit old, its 3 years old at this point. Still, I think it needs to be taken into consideration.

This article remarks that, first off, not only are Digitimes wrong part of the time on Apple rumors, its wrong MOST of the time.

If they're wrong MOST of the time on Apple rumors, what makes people so certain they'll be any more accurate on Nintendo rumors?

And first off, there's NO WAY the NX is launching in July in NA. MAYBE it'll launch in July in Japan, MAYBE, but it won't launch outside of Japan then, and regardless, I don't think its coming in 2016 at all. I don't see the NX coming before 2017.

The original game's MANUAL states that Klump and Krusha are K. Rool's generals, its not merely retconning. Yes, they're recurring enemies, but they're considered a single enemy you see multiple versions of.

Probably because he's yelling and shouting while trying to clobber you?

Klump and Krusha will always be K. Rool's real high generals to me. If anything, still use them but add new ones as well, I'm sure Klubba and Kudgel counted as some in DKC2.
In regards to Krusha, though, Krusha was only really in two games. Klump, however, is in at least four separate games: DKC, DKC2 (he's Kannon in this game), DK64, and DK: Barrel Blast. Krusha is only in DKC and DK64 as an unlockable multiplayer character. Really a missed opportunity for Krusha (he was planned to be in Diddy Kong Pilot).

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

You won't see the NX till the earliest 2017. There's no way it's coming in 2016, trust me. People have been latching on to NX rumors since it was "announced" which the only reason it was announced was to put the kibosh on any ideas that Nintendo was going 100% mobile. Plus in direct response to the video, Nintendo won't bottem out like Sega did they're far too successful even the Wii Us commercial failure isn't impacting them as hard as you'd think. Between Amiibos and the 3DS alone Nintendo is making profit, plus Splatoon, Smash, and Mario Kart has helped put the Wii U on top in sales over in Japan and pushed it in the US as well. Sega had 3 failure consoles in a row before they failed and didn't have near the amount of money Nintendo has. Nintendo isn't going anywhere but I do feel that if they fail another home console they'll go completely handheld, I believe the NX will be a stepping point to that already being some sort of handheld/home console fusion. Anyway 5mash regardless won't be coming for the NX if it hits anywhere in the next year or two expect to see Sm4sh stick around for atleast the next 4-6 years.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You won't see the NX till the earliest 2017. There's no way it's coming in 2016, trust me. People have been latching on to NX rumors since it was "announced" which the only reason it was announced was to put the kibosh on any ideas that Nintendo was going 100% mobile. Plus in direct response to the video, Nintendo won't bottem out like Sega did they're far too successful even the Wii Us commercial failure isn't impacting them as hard as you'd think. Between Amiibos and the 3DS alone Nintendo is making profit, plus Splatoon, Smash, and Mario Kart has helped put the Wii U on top in sales over in Japan and pushed it in the US as well. Sega had 3 failure consoles in a row before they failed and didn't have near the amount of money Nintendo has. Nintendo isn't going anywhere but I do feel that if they fail another home console they'll go completely handheld, I believe the NX will be a stepping point to that already being some sort of handheld/home console fusion. Anyway 5mash regardless won't be coming for the NX if it hits anywhere in the next year or two expect to see Sm4sh stick around for atleast the next 4-6 years.
I think there's a possibility it could come in 2016. I just highly, highly doubt its the case, and I'm absolutely positive its not coming until 2017.

It does not.
http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/...ted/Donkey_Kong_Country_-_1994_-_Nintendo.pdf

Fine, but the story does treat Klump as a single character, as does the novelization according to Klump's page on Super Mario Wiki:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Klump

I don't know where to find the novelization. Regardless, even if it doesn't say he's a general, he's basically treated like one for K. Rool in both scenarios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom