• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

I wasn't the least bit surprised that they were both fake

Was there a general shock when Wolf didn't come in August or was that just me?
Well, most were more surprised that there wasn't a Direct or any Smash news, although some expected it after Iwata's death. But I don't recall there being a "shock" about Wolf, most were disappointed though.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, were you still around when the K. Rool Mii costume was released? There was a big shock after that on this thread.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, most were more surprised that there wasn't a Direct or any Smash news, although some expected it after Iwata's death. But I don't recall there being a "shock" about Wolf, most were disappointed though.
Guess it was just the "character comes with an update" thing that we HAD going and lined up to continue. Wolf in August, K. Rool as a ballot forerunner in October, Ballot # 2 (and maybe 3) for Christmas, and at MOST one for Feb/April and MAAAAAAAAYBE a final farewell with E3 2016 accompanying a Sakurai speech about directing smash as a whole, saying "This will be my final gift to our fans as a director of Smash, please, enjoy the game." Total of 3-5 ballot characters + Wolf on the horizon

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Inspired by boredom @ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice 's Kaptain K. Rool moveset; here's an update to my moveset that moves away from a "greatest hits" mentality to try to achieve a similar thematic consistency.

The one I'm going for is King Krusha K. Rool. I should preface this by saying that I am not using solely DK64 as reference. Rather, the standard King costume and the Krusha costume are sufficiently similar that I am happy taking inspiration from both of these. Effectively, only DKC2 and DKC3 are off the table as far as direct moveset inspiration goes. No Blunderbuss this time. This allows use of both his most iconic design and the one from DK64, which Sakurai purportedly enjoyed and used as inspiration for Diddy. Also, Kaptain has already been done very well, and Baron is never going to happen and has the least to work with.

Specials:

Neutral Special - Mines - F25 - 2% (Hit), 8% (Explosion)

Here's a new one! Inspired by the PAON Jungle Climber games, King K. Rool tosses out a mine. Pressing B again will cause the mine to explode; it automatically explodes after at most 15 seconds. The mine can be picked up and thrown.

This move is stage control at its finest, and fully intended to replace that of a spiked cannonball. Having the explosion also damage K Rool is a sufficient drawback to ensure this remains a balanced yet important part of his arsenal.

Side Special - Krown Toss - F30 - 3%

King K. Rool throws his crown. Whilst holding the button, K Rool can fully control the movement of the crown, but remains helpless whilst doing so, like PK Thunder. When let go, the crown travels in the direction it was when released a little further before fizzling out.

Very low damage to make up for its high utility, particularly in edge-guarding and juggling. Think PK Thunder, but with less than half the damage to make up for the fact K Rool's recovery is not crippled by it, and without the almost OHKO that is PKT2. Can be B-Reversed.

Down Special - Cannonball Crash - F15 - 10%

King K. Rool plucks a cannonball from hammerspace and drops it below him. If it hits the ground, once it settles it can be picked up and thrown. It is fairly heavy, so significantly slows lighter characters who attempt to use it. Only one can be active at a time. When settled on the ground, it has no active hitbox.

Advanced:

1) Knockback direction is the same as the one K Rool was facing when the ball was dropped or thrown. This gives the same combo opportunities as the gyro. However, it is slower when thrown and does not have an active hitbox, for balancing purposes.
2) Whilst the hitbox is only active from F15, the move activates F1, similarly to Pikachu's Thunder, making it an excellent vertical combo breaker (ZSS eat your heart out).
3) If used mid-air, the momentum of the cannonball gives K Rool a vertical boost that allows him to air stall similarly to e.g. Mario's Cape.

Up Special - Crocodile Cannon - F10 - 9%

Also from DK Jungle Climber, K Rool curls into a ball and launches himself at high speed. This can be angled. This should be pictured mentally as similar to Samus' Screw Attack, but single hitting, slower, and with more control/distance.

Neutrals:

Jab Combo - F3 - (3%, 5%)

K Rool performs a quick one two punch combo from DK64. Fast startup and decent damage. High base knockback but low growth means that this is a good "get-off me" move, but never really threatens a KO.

Dash Attack - Leap - F15 - 13%

K Rool performs a leap whilst charging. High damage and knockback (Think to the level of Link) but atrocious end-lag.

Forward Tilt - F6 - 7%, 1%

K Rool punches forwards. His glove flies off the end of his fist as a very weak projectile for spacing. Can be angled upwards or downwards.

Up Tilt - F6 - 7%, 1%

Identical to the forward tilt, but upwards.

Down Tilt - F5 - 5%

K Rool swipes at the opponents feet with gloves or tails. Has a chance to trip.

Smashes:

Forward Smash - Crown Headbutt - F20 - 18% (Crown), 15% (Body)

K Rool performs a charging headbutt with his crown, like Lord Fredrik. His most powerful smash, but very laggy.

Down Smash - F8 - 10% (Body) 5% (Shockwaves)

K Rool drops to the ground in a butt slam that creates shockwaves. More charge causes more shockwaves of larger sizes.

Up Smash - F10 - 16%

K Rool performs a strong uppercut as in DK64. The glove has invincibility frames.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial - Belly Flop - F3 - 4% (Body), 6% (Stomach)

K Rool does a belly flop in mid-air, from DKL. Implemented as a reverse sex kick in the same vein as @ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice suggested. Auto-cancels.

Forward Aerial - Glove Throw - 8% (Fist), 2% (Glove)

K Rool punches forwards, his glove flying off his hand. Kind of like Ryu's N-Air in execution I guess.

Back Aerial - Glove Throw - 8% (Fist), 2% (Glove)

Punches backwards, with his glove flying off his hand. Like a mixture of Falcon and Villager, but much less obnoxiously damaging.

Down Aerial - Stomp - F12 - 10%

K Rool stomps below to spike the opponent. Uninspired move.

Up Aerial - Crown Swipe - F12 - 10%

K Rool swipes above his head with his crown for a strong, disjointed attack.

Grab - Barrel - F8

King K. Rool slams a barrel down onto the head of his opponent, trapping them. Inspired by the way he captures Diddy Kong in the original DKC game.

Pummel - Jungle Beating - 3%

King K. Rool slams his fist on the top of the barrel. A strong but slow pummel.

Forward Throw - Do a Barrel Roll! - 8%

King K. Rool kicks the opponents barrel forwards. They roll forwards a very short distance before the barrel bursts, sending them flying. K Rool can chase the barrel as it rolls to follow-up with one of his quicker attacks.

Back Throw - Reverse Barrel Roll - 8%

King K. Rool sidesteps and trips the opponents legs behind him. Otherwise functions identically to the Forward Throw as a combo throw.

Down Throw - Klaptrap Kommotion - 1% (Repeated)

King K. Rool opens the lid of the barrel and drops a Klaptrap in, which bites the opponent repeatedly whilst stuck in the barrel. King K. Rool can then use any of his chosen throws or pummel. However, throughout this the opponent can mash to escape, making this only useful at higher percentages where they cannot escape before the Klaptrap is put in.

Up Throw - Barrel Breaker - 12%

King K. Rool lifts the barrel before slamming it to the ground beneath him. A kill throw.

What do you all think? I have always been adamant about the importance of Copter and Blunderbuss, but after doing this moveset I think I honestly might prefer it to my ones that use them. It was especially nice to dig into some of the less popular games like King Of Swing and Jungle Climber to take some inspiration there.

The real question is: would you main it?
I like the moveset and would definitely main it. That being said, if given the choice, I would take additional Country representation before representation of the Paon games in K. Rool's attacks. I think there's more distinct possibilities you can draw from the classic trilogy that feel patently 'K. Rool,' whereas stuff like mines and growing giant could occur with any villain. The one Paon move I like is curling into a ball for N-Air, but that's something generic Smash could implement anyway.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well, we have basically no news for Smash, not for the King or for anyone else. There was one thing though: almost everyone here was panicking due to Shovel Knight leak, which turned out to be fake.

Also, welcome back!
Is the Shovel Knight rumor truly fake? I know they said it will take about 1-2 months to prove it entirely false, unless someone came out and said it wasn't true.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Is the Shovel Knight rumor truly fake? I know they said it will take about 1-2 months to prove it entirely false, unless someone came out and said it wasn't true.
There were 2 parts to the leak.
1 - Shovel Knight is getting an amiibo (true)
2 - This amiibo was of the Smash series (false)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
There were 2 parts to the leak.
1 - Shovel Knight is getting an amiibo (true)
2 - This amiibo was of the Smash series (false)
Apparently Shovel Knight being a playable character in Smash is separate from this, or so PushDustIn says. There's still Tamaki's whole "Shovel Knight will be revealed as a playable character somewhere in the next month or two" though he at first thought it was going to be revealed at PAX, which there was a lot of SK stuff and a third party amiibo, but nothing to do with Smash, so I felt this hurt his credibility a bit.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
With everybody else posting their K. Rool movesets, should I write mine up soon? I always wanted to do one. probably before October 3rd.
Go for it, and strike while the iron is hot. Either we get K. Rool and no one really cares about movesets in a sub-forum dedicated to discussing his real moveset, or he doesn't get in and this thread gets closed, and we're confined to smaller, more underground groups where it'll get less publicity.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Apparently Shovel Knight being a playable character in Smash is separate from this, or so PushDustIn says. There's still Tamaki's whole "Shovel Knight will be revealed as a playable character somewhere in the next month or two" though he at first thought it was going to be revealed at PAX, which there was a lot of SK stuff and a third party amiibo, but nothing to do with Smash, so I felt this hurt his credibility a bit.
he actually never said that.Tamaki said 1-2 months from the bat and ash's(gamexplain) source said he'll be revealed at PAX people got the two confused and blamed Tamaki.Doesn't change much as even if shovel knight gets in The king is still overall popular enough in on his own merits

Morbi

Scavenger
It is sort of, kind of off-topic, but after seeing that the "Rate Their Chances" thread is doing Kaptain K. Rool, I REALLY want King K. Rool to use his Blunderbuss. The Blunderbuss was released as DLC for Advanced Warfare and I have been having a lot of fun pretending to be King K. Rool.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It is sort of, kind of off-topic, but after seeing that the "Rate Their Chances" thread is doing Kaptain K. Rool, I REALLY want King K. Rool to use his Blunderbuss. The Blunderbuss was released as DLC for Advanced Warfare and I have been having a lot of fun pretending to be King K. Rool.
Honestly, i could see it easily being some aerials like Rob's burner and of course a neutral B as the main Kannon.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
With all that fitness this shall be his reveal trailer.
Now one of my new favorite videos, I just wish at the 52 second mark, it had the saying like the regular trailers.

Speaking of trailers, what will the trailer be like? I hope something like bowser jr's but K. Rools ship crashes onto shore and the hero's check it out. Then K. Rool shoots the blunderbuster that hits mario and D.K. out of the area. He thens jumps out and it shows the splashcard. After, there is the gameplay. At the end, we see k. rool looking at bowser, d3, and ganon behind him.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
BKupa made a good point about movesets so I might as well make my own as well (no standard attacks, those can be simple punches or something):

Side Smash: Boxing Punch
Down Smash: Fake Defeat
Up Smash: Shoots a cannonball up in the air

Neutral B: Gas Shooter
There are 3 different types of gas. Blue freezes the opponent (like Lucas' standard B), Purple reverses the controls for a couple of seconds, and Red slows the opponent down for a couple of seconds. These alternate and will not be able to be launched in rapid succession.
Side B: Spike Ball Shooter
K. Rool shoots out up to three cannonballs on the field and they become spiked traps (like Unira). They can be launched in the air or on the ground.
Up B: Helicopter Pack
This one's kind of obvious. If this isn't his recovery I'll be shocked.
Down B: Electricity
Something to do with his electric beams from DKC3

Final Smash: Fake Kredits
An ingenious idea that the Kutthroats have come up with. This would be the perfect final smash. If not this then:
Alternative Final Smash: Cannonball Rain
Sort of like Ness and Lucas' from the last game.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
In terms of trailers, I'm still in favor of Donkey and Diddy getting beat up by the Mii costume, then K. Rool showing up and destroying the mii fighter. Showing that he is the real King K. Rool.

D

Deleted member

I still believe that my "fake kredits" idea for a trailer is the best IMO.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I've often said that one of my concerns about K. Rool is the overall consistency of his moveset, but I suddenly thought of an idea that came out of nowhere :4lucas: why not redesign the helipack to make it feel more natural in King K. Rool's moveset? I mean, the helipack as we know it in DKC3 is a perfect fit for Baron K. Roolenstein, but I think it may clash too much with the King persona. However, I think it could feel more natural with a new design, for example a barrel made of wood and steel, with an helicopter propeller, and named "Helicopter Barrel" rather than "Helicopter Pack". It would still be a reference to DKC3, especially if you make it work in a unique way similar to how the helipack works in the original game - for example, give K. Rool super armor when he's using this move, but make him fall helpless if the helicopter barrel itself is attacked and destroyed.

And for the blunderbuss, assuming he's making it as King and not Kaptain, then he will not be able to use it extensively like detailed in my Kaptain focused moveset because otherwise it will feel kinda out of place; it'd be like Mario using the F.L.U.D.D. for many moves and not just his down special. That said the blunderbuss is still K. Rool's most iconic weapon and I believe it should be used for at the very least one special move even if he King by default, as the blunderbuss itself doesn't clash that much with his King persona imo. In the general King K. Rool moveset I used to have in my mind the blunderbuss would be used for three moves - neutral B = status gases; forward smash = spiked kannonball; grab = vacuum. But when I think about it, the bast way to use that weapon work in King K. Rool's moveset while making sure the later keeps its overall consistency would be to limit the blunderbuss to the neutral special which would shoot a spiked kannonball (working probably like my Kaptain forward smash I suppose); the forward smash and grab wouldn't suffer much at being something else.

@ DJ3DS DJ3DS I really love your ideas for K. Rool's grab game. I love creative liberties that work like that, it's a neat reference to the plot of DKC1 where Diddy is said to have been imprisoned in a barrel, it is unique, and it would fit well. Probably the best possible way to implement Klaptraps in a K. Rool moveset :grin:

Writing posts like this makes me realize that it's often more interesting to discuss moves in depth and individually about how they could work and fit the character, rather than entire movesets unless you're trying an overall approach that was rarely explored before. All the speculation about DLC and analysis of the philosophy behind each character's moveset in Smash also really learned me a lot of things when it comes to game design in the series, and K. Rool is definitely a huge part of that.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I've often said that one of my concerns about K. Rool is the overall consistency of his moveset, but I suddenly thought of an idea that came out of nowhere :4lucas: why not redesign the helipack to make it feel more natural in King K. Rool's moveset? I mean, the helipack as we know it in DKC3 is a perfect fit for Baron K. Roolenstein, but I think it may clash too much with the King persona. However, I think it could feel more natural with a new design, for example a barrel made of wood and steel, with an helicopter propeller, and named "Helicopter Barrel" rather than "Helicopter Pack". It would still be a reference to DKC3, especially if you make it work in a unique way similar to how the helipack works in the original game - for example, give K. Rool super armor when he's using this move, but make him fall helpless if the helicopter barrel itself is attacked and destroyed.

And for the blunderbuss, assuming he's making it as King and not Kaptain, then he will not be able to use it extensively like detailed in my Kaptain focused moveset because otherwise it will feel kinda out of place; it'd be like Mario using the F.L.U.D.D. for many moves and not just his down special. That said the blunderbuss is still K. Rool's most iconic weapon and I believe it should be used for at the very least one special move even if he King by default, as the blunderbuss itself doesn't clash that much with his King persona imo. In the general King K. Rool moveset I used to have in my mind the blunderbuss would be used for three moves - neutral B = status gases; forward smash = spiked kannonball; grab = vacuum. But when I think about it, the bast way to use that weapon work in King K. Rool's moveset while making sure the later keeps its overall consistency would be to limit the blunderbuss to the neutral special which would shoot a spiked kannonball (working probably like my Kaptain forward smash I suppose); the forward smash and grab wouldn't suffer much at being something else.

@ DJ3DS DJ3DS I really love your ideas for K. Rool's grab game. I love creative liberties that work like that, it's a neat reference to the plot of DKC1 where Diddy is said to have been imprisoned in a barrel, it is unique, and it would fit well. Probably the best possible way to implement Klaptraps in a K. Rool moveset :grin:

Writing posts like this makes me realize that it's often more interesting to discuss moves in depth and individually about how they could work and fit the character, rather than entire movesets unless you're trying an overall approach that was rarely explored before. All the speculation about DLC and analysis of the philosophy behind each character's moveset in Smash also really learned me a lot of things when it comes to game design in the series, and K. Rool is definitely a huge part of that.
I'm afraid I can't take complete credit for the grab - using the barrel was something I vaguely remember reading hidden away in @ BKupa666 BKupa666 's thread OP. The throws are original though Klaptrap's aside largely write themselves.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool's helpless fall NEEDS to be his damaged animation from DKC3. Even if the kopter pack doesn't make it in,

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Best K. Rool trailer that I'd like to see is Sakurai presents all the newcomers from the ballot in one trailer, K. Rool is absent much to our disappointment. To which he then says "that's all for today" and says he'd like to thank all of the crew who helped make the DLC and credits role by, oddly enough the credits are Kredits which include all Kremlings and suddenly BOOM K. Rool trialer comes...sorry if this idea has been mentioned already I skipped the last couple pages

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
One month before the ballots end. Time can go so fast sometimes; and yet, Im sure it gonna go extra slow all September.

I wanted to do some special fanart for the ocassion. But I had some issues on the "creative process" (that and I have been training DK to be my secondary):
-I wanted to make a comic, but it was too corny.
-Some other fanart I had drawn three times already. But it still lacks something. And I want this one to be worthy to be printed on shirts.

So while I finish that one, I made this quick one on the miiverse (its a horrible drawing tool, but its the place were you can reach a big amount of the the Smash community). I wanted to project my feelings on the ballot. That it doesn't matter who you voted for, if you believe in your character enough and think he/she/it could be in Smash Bros. Then you should vote for it. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkaTqOvOg

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
One month before the ballots end. Time can go so fast sometimes; and yet, Im sure it gonna go extra slow all September.

I wanted to do some special fanart for the ocassion. But I had some issues on the "creative process" (that and I have been training DK to be my secondary):
-I wanted to make a comic, but it was too corny.
-Some other fanart I had drawn three times already. But it still lacks something. And I want this one to be worthy to be printed on shirts.

So while I finish that one, I made this quick one on the miiverse (its a horrible drawing tool, but its the place were you can reach a big amount of the the Smash community). I wanted to project my feelings on the ballot. That it doesn't matter who you voted for, if you believe in your character enough and think he/she/it could be in Smash Bros. Then you should vote for it. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkaTqOvOg

The gem on the tie is a beautiful touch.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
When I announced my support for King K. Rool, I didn't get the "One of Us" treatment. Could someone remedy that?

just posting this poll again from awhile back to make sure that everybody got to it. even though this poll doesnt mean anything ballot wise its still nice to participate.
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15

k rool is in second place and shantae is in first but keep in mind that there are alot of false votes on here so its not entirely accurate,shantae keeps getting hundreds of false votes and a few other characters are getting false votes but not on the scale of shantae ,but we were working out best to filter out the false votes.

even though fan polls are fun make sure to vote k rool on the real ballot because thats the one that actually matters
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

EDIT: just found this new poll on reddit that has a individual poll for each character so if you have the time go vote for the kroc!("yes" "no" and "indifferent" are the options for each character poll)
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3jk3mf/individual_character_poll_final_version_complete/

here is k rools poll if you dont feel like finding him on reddit.(but remember the actual ballot is the one that counts)
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll364873x5929409B-14

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
just posting this poll again from awhile back to make sure that everybody got to it. even though this poll doesnt mean anything ballot wise its still nice to participate.
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15

k rool is in second place and shantae is in first but keep in mind that there are alot of false votes on here so its not entirely accurate,shantae keeps getting hundreds of false votes and a few other characters are getting false votes but not on the scale of shantae ,but we were working out best to filter out the false votes.

even though fan polls are fun make sure to vote k rool on the real ballot because thats the one that actually matters
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

EDIT: just found this new poll on reddit that has a individual poll for each character so if you have the time go vote for the kroc!
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3jk3mf/individual_character_poll_final_version_complete/

here is k rools poll if you dont feel like finding him on reddit
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll364873x5929409B-14
The polls from reddit are actually Bluepikmin's polls from Smashboards.

http://smashboards.com/threads/individual-character-poll-poll-finale-extravaganza.410404/

I wouldn't bother with that poll though. I'm almost positive it has been botted. If you look at the map results when compared to other characters BluePikmin has polled you'll notice most of K. Rool's votes in that poll are concentrated in Spain. Unlike for other characters in BluePikmin's polls where the votes are more evenly scattered between countries from all over the world. For example compare the map results of K. Rool to Dixie Kong or Isaac and you notice the difference.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
So, if K. Rool makes it in as his normal Kingly self, we'd all love it and play the hell outta him. But let's be real, here; if Sakurai blesses us with a Kaptain alternate kostume, that's the one we'll play as 99% of the time. Am I alone in thinking this?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So, if K. Rool makes it in as his normal Kingly self, we'd all love it and play the hell outta him. But let's be real, here; if Sakurai blesses us with a Kaptain alternate kostume, that's the one we'll play as 99% of the time. Am I alone in thinking this?
I like the King outfit the most but I'll probably play the Kaptain outfit a lot too.

Top Bottom