• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It could mean nothing, but if K. Rool and the Kremling Krew really is returning to Retro's Donkey Kong games then we hit one of our two major goals. I want this to happen so bad.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Do we even know if they're working on another DKC? Maybe they know something else we don't....
Reggie playing DKC1 in the E3 preview trailer during his work out, Satoru Itawa(god rest his soul) teasing us with bananas at E3 in puppet form, K. rool getting TM'd, Retro following the Kampaign for the last year or so. Something's defintley in the works with them.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

(?)

Anyway... I'm don't really sure about Ridley's status as a "All-Star" xDU
Lessee... Archnemisis to the heroine of the Metroid series, fought in every single main series game, barring 2 and Prime 2, has his own theme music, still shows up in the main series games to this day. If he's not an all star, K. Rool definitely isn't.

Fortunately for us, they're both all stars.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Do we even know if they're working on another DKC? Maybe they know something else we don't....
I think they're working on a new DK game for certain. There's been too many DK-related teases recently, and post-TF Retro still expressed interest in doing more for the DK franchise. They, and Tanabe, also expressed interest in a 3D DK game; I think that's what Retro is working on ATM.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I think they're working on a new DK game for certain. There's been too many DK-related teases recently, and post-TF Retro still expressed interest in doing more for the DK franchise. They, and Tanabe, also expressed interest in a 3D DK game; I think that's what Retro is working on ATM.
3D DK game, like a sequel to DK64? that would be awesome!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So a spiritual successor to Donkey Kong 64?

With the possibility of a K. Rool and Kremling return?

The dream can be real?!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd be ok with it being a spiritual successor to DK64 as long as its truly open exploration. Otherwise I'd like it to try and emulate DKC, but just in 3D (so actual levels with a world map).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Reggie playing DKC1 in the E3 preview trailer during his work out, Satoru Itawa(god rest his soul) teasing us with bananas at E3 in puppet form, K. rool getting TM'd, Retro following the Kampaign for the last year or so. Something's defintley in the works with them.
Don't think the first three mean anything to be honest. Too vague. Even Retro following Kremling Kampaign somewhat ambiguous since they seemed to follow random smattering of people once they got a twitter.

On the other hand, Michael Kelbaugh (president of Retro Studios) himself following Kremlng Kampaign since the early days seems much more likely to produce an actual payoff. He doesn't follow many people -- in fact, his twitter is private (maybe avoid tweeting at him, btw). Similarly, Retro studios does not favorite many tweets. Yet they favorited tweets that barely had anything to do with the games they actually worked on --BowserK.Rool's tweet was about hearing new K. Rool related content from David Wise. It was not a tweet celebrating some aspect of DKCR or DKCTF; it was a tweet about one of the Rare-era elements they have yet to touch . K. Rool!

Of course, it could be nothing, but the rarity of their favorites makes it very interesting to see....

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
THEY'RE PUTTING PLAYABLE SUPER METROID RIDLEY IN SMASH!?
HA, I wish. But hopefully they'll have a say next SSB game.

King K Rool in Smash as advertisment? Head canon accepted.
I'm still waiting for that lol.

One thing's clear, Retro loves it's fans as they say, otherwise they wouldn't be following our tweets, Sakurai hasn't even made one retweet or like to any of our comments, him being busy is no excuse either, they're busy too as well as every other game company.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's what the Wolf fans are banking on right now, that Wolf is meant to advertise Star Fox Zero. So a new Retro DK game with the Kremlings in it would have Smash K. Rool advertise it, possibly. I'm still of the mind that the Mii Costume was not taken from any existing model, and was made to please fans of the old Rare design, and that a hypothetical K. Rool is using designs Retro gave them that they plan to use in his revival in the DKCR series. Wouldn't be the first time that happened, i.e. Greninja.

Making the Mii Costume to satisfy fans of the Rare design while using a new Retro model for the playable character seems more plausible to me than the Mii Costume taking assets from an existing character model meant for Smash 4 DLC. Because if the latter was the case then K. Rool would have had a lot of work put into him already. If it's the former, then it is very possible that playable K. Rool (using his new Retro model should one exist) could still be in concept phase right now, if at all. The former theory gives more wiggle room.

Or K. Rool isn't playable at all, which will make me a sad Zard.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Don't think the first three mean anything to be honest. Too vague. Even Retro following Kremling Kampaign somewhat ambiguous since they seemed to follow random smattering of people once they got a twitter.

On the other hand, Michael Kelbaugh (president of Retro Studios) himself following Kremlng Kampaign since the early days seems much more likely to produce an actual payoff. He doesn't follow many people -- in fact, his twitter is private (maybe avoid tweeting at him, btw). Similarly, Retro studios does not favorite many tweets. Yet they favorited tweets that barely had anything to do with the games they actually worked on --BowserK.Rool's tweet was about hearing new K. Rool related content from David Wise. It was not a tweet celebrating some aspect of DKCR or DKCTF; it was a tweet about one of the Rare-era elements they have yet to touch . K. Rool!

Of course, it could be nothing, but the rarity of their favorites makes it very interesting to see....
Michael Kelbaugh was actually the first to follow our kampaign last year before Retro came and made one to join us which is actually better news than anything else. Exactly, I'm glad I posted it to them.

Indeed which is why I have faith in them more than I ever have had lately for Suckereye.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Yes he does!

I wish we heard more of that. That voice is fantastic. He sounds like a Bond villain with strep throat.
Ridley spoke in the Metroid comics to Samus.
I wouldn't mind both K. Rool and Ridley getting voice actors. I feel like K. rool is more likely that the space dragon, but since Ridley is proven to speak, it could happen. It'd make his character more defined too. I imagine Ridley having a voice that's kind of like a raspier version of Teen Titan's Slade:
K. Rool can retain his DK64 voice.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So, if K. Rool got into Smash as DLC, he'd basically be functioning a Roy-style advertisement for a future DK game, just as a character people care about independent of Smash.

That's a possibility the people who say "lol he has to show up in new games first so he can promote them" don't ever bring up, but could happen with this DLC combined with the fan ballot.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That's a possibility the people who say "lol he has to show up in new games first so he can promote them" don't ever bring up, but could happen with this DLC combined with the fan ballot.
And it's not like there haven't already been downloadable extras used to promote other new games in this game, either, no sir-ee!

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's what the Wolf fans are banking on right now, that Wolf is meant to advertise Star Fox Zero. So a new Retro DK game with the Kremlings in it would have Smash K. Rool advertise it, possibly. I'm still of the mind that the Mii Costume was not taken from any existing model, and was made to please fans of the old Rare design, and that a hypothetical K. Rool is using designs Retro gave them that they plan to use in his revival in the DKCR series. Wouldn't be the first time that happened, i.e. Greninja.

Making the Mii Costume to satisfy fans of the Rare design while using a new Retro model for the playable character seems more plausible to me than the Mii Costume taking assets from an existing character model meant for Smash 4 DLC. Because if the latter was the case then K. Rool would have had a lot of work put into him already. If it's the former, then it is very possible that playable K. Rool (using his new Retro model should one exist) could still be in concept phase right now, if at all. The former theory gives more wiggle room.

Or K. Rool isn't playable at all, which will make me a sad Zard.
Eh, I still believe we'll see the Rare version of K. Rool as playable. Like I said before, Sakurai does love using old designs for characters, after all. And based on the fact that design of the Mii Costume is a Hybrid (everything except the color of the gem is from his Rare design), I am quite sure he'll use that design in Smash, as again, everyone loves the Rare design.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Eh, I still believe we'll see the Rare version of K. Rool as playable. Like I said before, Sakurai does love using old designs for characters, after all. And based on the fact that design of the Mii Costume is a Hybrid (everything except the color of the gem is from his Rare design), I am quite sure he'll use that design in Smash, as again, everyone loves the Rare design.
I love the Rare design as if it were my pet.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Like I said before, Sakurai does love using old designs for characters, after all.
This doesn't necessarily mean anything, though, as he doesn't do it every time. For example, he didn't with Pit or Palutena - they were brought into Smash with brand new designs, which were later re-worked and re-used when their native series was revived.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
This doesn't necessarily mean anything, though, as he doesn't do it every time. For example, he didn't with Pit or Palutena - they were brought into Smash with brand new designs, which were later re-worked and re-used when their native series was revived.
True, there is that, but the DK series is different. Sakurai knows K. Rool fans want the Rare design, and I doubt he'd use the PAON design and let down his fans in that way.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
True, there is that, but the DK series is different. Sakurai knows K. Rool fans want the Rare design, and I doubt he'd use the PAON design and let down his fans in that way.
I don't dispute that. :) That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if a new design were to show up, either.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, you know what tickles me about that favorite? Retro Studios are big enough DK fans that they instinctively know what the Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony themes are, and why fans would find David Wise remixes of them appealing. That's not just casual familiarity with the series right there. Their multiple play-throughs of the classic trilogy at the request of Michael Kelbaugh are showing!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Something he's been doing a good job at so far imo. Hopefully he can redeem himself though. I hope.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Our rotund penguin friend is correct (@ Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin ), this isn't the case every time. Roy got a new look, as did Pit and Palutena. Roy looks like a fusion of his old design and Awakening design, which makes him entirely unique to Smash. The case of Sakurai going out of his way to use classic designs was only with Mega-Man and Pac Man, Sonic uses his Sonic Adventure look instead of his old classic look as well.

And true, I don't think he will use the PAON design. Hence why I think they are using the beloved Rare design in the Mii Costume to satisfy those who love that design, but will use a new Retro model to promote a hypothetical DKCR3 game. If anything K. Rool would pull a Roy or Palutena instead of a Mega Man.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Our rotund penguin friend is correct (@ Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin ), this isn't the case every time.
Laughing so much at this. :laugh: Thanks. :)

Hence why I think they are using the beloved Rare design in the Mii Costume to satisfy those who love that design, but will use a new Retro model to promote a hypothetical DKCR3 game. If anything K. Rool would pull a Roy or Palutena instead of a Mega Man.
This might also adequately explain why they've suddenly started promoting King K. Ostume using the clearly-stated theme of "retro costumes", you know...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Our rotund penguin friend is correct (@ Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin ), this isn't the case every time. Roy got a new look, as did Pit and Palutena. Roy looks like a fusion of his old design and Awakening design, which makes him entirely unique to Smash. The case of Sakurai going out of his way to use classic designs was only with Mega-Man and Pac Man, Sonic uses his Sonic Adventure look instead of his old classic look as well.

And true, I don't think he will use the PAON design. Hence why I think they are using the beloved Rare design in the Mii Costume to satisfy those who love that design, but will use a new Retro model to promote a hypothetical DKCR3 game. If anything K. Rool would pull a Roy or Palutena instead of a Mega Man.
I just hope he looks more like his rare design, maybe his eyes don't have to be as googly except the bulging red one of his, but I want his long snout and teeth showing again as well as the tail, maybe I can get used to the none golden plate armor but still want him with a bigger crown. but if he looks like the mii costume but in better detail and quality, I'll be even more happy.

Morbi

Scavenger
It sort of makes me wonder if King K. Rool would be brought into Smash with a brand new design. I doubt it, but the prospect is interesting to say the least.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Laughing so much at this. :laugh: Thanks. :)

This might also adequately explain why they've suddenly started promoting King K. Ostume using the clearly-stated theme of "retro costumes", you know...
That's riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, I didn't even think of that...*taps chin*

So the "Retro" costume King K. Rool could actually mean something after all?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That's riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, I didn't even think of that...*taps chin*

So the "Retro" costume King K. Rool could actually mean something after all?
Maybe it's grasping at straws, but I hope so.

I mean, the really odd thing is that they didn't promote it as a retro outfit right away - that's only come along within the last couple of weeks, if I'm remembering it right.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

Yeah, you have a point. I just really really hope they use a design similar to the Rare one (or even the Rare one with the blue gem) in the end. I'm just not sure what Retro will redesign him as if he were in another game (if they did, it should be the Rare design with some minor revamps to make it more HD). If it helps, a Mii Costume of Samus exists (which came alongside the same update as the K Rool Costume). The Costume's armor looks very similar, if not perfectly similar to Samus's actual armor, so it's completely possible for the Mii costume to exist alongside K Rool in his Rare design. :3

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So, I've been thinking about this for a while, since I'm a huge Voice Actor nerd, but I think that if K.Rool ever did get a real speaking part in anything, this guy would honestly be a really good fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzSoDD75rqY

I think David Kaye would honestly do a pretty good job, since he can cover that blend of calm mastermind and utterly insane madman that K.Rool is, and I feel like if someone voices K.Rool, they'd have to have at least a decent vocal range to match whatever insane personality K.Rool decided to take on.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Im pretty certain that if there is a Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 (geez, one can return so many times) the Kremlings and their king will take an important role.
But, is it the villain role that important to be a promo character in Smash Bros? I think they should exploit this recent K. Rool popularity with a villain story mode. Play with only K. Rool or make it Sonic Adventure 2 esque with Kremling counterparts (DK Barrel Blast has those to an extent).

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Im pretty certain that if there is a Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 (geez, one can return so many times) the Kremlings and their king will take an important role.
But, is it the villain role that important to be a promo character in Smash Bros? I think they should exploit this recent K. Rool popularity with a villain story mode. Play with only K. Rool or make it Sonic Adventure 2 esque with Kremling counterparts (DK Barrel Blast has those to an extent).
Sonic Adventure 2 like double story? Kong Kampaign and Kremling Kampaign? That sounds rad, actually. Very rad.

So say if Kong Side had Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Dixie Kong. Kremling Side would have King K. Rool, Krusha, and Klump? I have no idea on a fourth Kremling if the Kongs also get Cranky Kong.

Or have a Meta Knightmare or Dedede Tour mode with K. Rool.

Pakky

Smash Hero
YES! Lather up those DK reps, smash 5 is gonna be sick.

Top Bottom