• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
K. Rool is almost like the John Cena of the Smash community. A lot of people love the character and want to see him in Smash while others hate his guts and don't want to see him in Smash.
Except K. Rool is fictional and is actually cool to not only watch but play as too. (Sorry, not a Cena fan here but we'll save that for someplace else)
Well guys... I've gotta wonder; what will the next few days bring? Will we get some rain into our Smash speculation, or will the drought of Smash news remain? Find out next time after a :4littlemac: Haymaker loading screen. (I don't even know anymore).
Some fresh news would be great, we've been waiting long enough already.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
That's about the gist of it. Dedede can be a little selfish, too, but he learned his lesson after the first game and made efforts to improve.

K. Rool, of course, went the other way, and got worse.
This got me thinking: Do you think that K. Rool would be willing to work with the Kongs if there was a threat that affected both of them (Think Smithy from Super Mario RPG or Bleck from Supar Paper Mario)? Or would the King be stubborn to the end?

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
This got me thinking: Do you think that K. Rool would be willing to work with the Kongs if there was a threat that affected both of them (Think Smithy from Super Mario RPG or Bleck from Supar Paper Mario)? Or would the King be stubborn to the end?
I'd prefer stubborn at the end. Him beating up DK in DKC2 and trying to blow up their island in DK64 should prove just how much he hates them.

D

Deleted member

K.Rool is one those characters who would prefer to DIE rather than ally himself with the Kongs.

At least his Video Game incarnation. The Cartoon one may be a little more softie.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I'd prefer stubborn at the end. Him beating up DK in DKC2 and trying to blow up their island in DK64 should prove just how much he hates them.
Would he team up to suit his own interests? What if some undetermined bad guy took his castle/ship/flying machine/base/etc., so he convinced the Kongs to "Beat up big bad!!", so that he could get his home back and capture them?

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Would he team up to suit his own interests? What if some undetermined bad guy took his castle/ship/flying machine/base/etc., so he convinced the Kongs to "Beat up big bad!!", so that he could get his home back and capture them?
That could work. He may be insane but he's not stupid. He'd turn on them right after he got what he wanted.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Nope, K Rool would rather die than help those dirty primitive apes. The only way he could be convinced into working with them is that if he could kill all of them at the end which the Kong's would never agree to.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
K.Rool is malicious and spiteful but as others said, he isn't stupid.

He'd team up with them if he had to. Heck playing nice could be one of his new schemes. He tries something new every game. Destroying stuff did bubkis. Perhaps befriending the longs is the best way to win.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Well, in Mario Super Sluggers he teams up with them because he's impressed with their skills in baseball.

...I refuse to accept that as canon.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I was just assuming that'd work the best. I mean, It'd act much like Bowser's D-Air. Perhaps even having the green shockwaves to damage/push back folks.
I agree it works as a D-Air; I just detest that kind of move full stop.

I'd have the belly flop from DKL in as a D-Air spike. Who doesn't love spikes?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
And this is why King K Rool is more evil than Bowser. Could Mewtwo be seen as a villain?
Not really. Anime!Mewtwo was a misanthrope due to circumstance. Game/Origins!Mewtwo is just a superpowered feral animal who ran in a cave to hide.

On topic:K.Rool K.Rool K.Rool K.Rool

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Huh, I always thought of Mewtwo as a villian. Not in the way of K.Rool, but still a villian in some way. Damn you event 51, you lied to me.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Not really. Anime!Mewtwo was a misanthrope due to circumstance. Game/Origins!Mewtwo is just a superpowered feral animal who ran in a cave to hide.
Many Pokédex entries mention that "It's said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.", though. Not sure if "villain" is the right term, but it's definitely vicious.

Anyway, while K. Rool is more evil than Bowser for sure, I don't think he'd rank particularly high on a list of "most evil Nintendo villains" when you consider Ganon, Ridley, Medusa, Hades, Porky etc. or ones that are like personifications of evil itself, like 0/02 or Giygas. What makes K. Rool stand out from the rest is the fact that he's rather... "unbalanced". DK64 is probably the best example of this, though his persona-switching in the original games was pretty crazy as well.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Warning: this is a move suggestion for King K. Rool based on something he doesn't personally use in Donkey Kong games, which may be seen as a crime by disciples of the "MUH MOVESET POTENTIAL" philosophy based on the fact that what defines "uniqueness" is the number of moves they personally use in their source games and the ability to port them directly to Smash without the need of creative liberties.

:troll:

Joke aside, what do you think about a Klobber as a down special for K. Rool? What should define K. Rool's playstyle should at least be stage control, and I'm sure this would be a great opportunity to contribute to that. Here's how I think it could work: K. Rool summons a barrel in front on him, if there's a grounded enemy not far in front of K. Rool, the Klobber will immediately reveal his identity and run, otherwise it waits until there's an enemy close to him. Anyone who is hit by a running Klobber will receive some knockback and damage. Whenever the Klobber hits an obstacle (such as a wall, or an enemy, including one who's using a shield), he will stop in his race and will know a cool-down period of a few seconds before he can start running again. If he's waiting inside his barrel, he can be picked up as an heavy item, similar to the regular barrel, and thrown, though as a thrown item the Klobber will be less powerful than a regular barrel. If K. Rool summons a Klobber, he can't summon another until the first one disappears.

The Klobber is green most of the time, but can also be yellow or grey at random. This, however, is purely cosmetical and has no effect on the gameplay (contrary to the source material where yellow and especially grey Klobbers are particularly dangerous).

The K. Rool moveset I have in my mind has as special moves: blunderbuss stuff (neutral B), krown toss (side B), helipack (up B) and a toned-down kannonball barrage (down B), but I've thought about trading the later for the Klobber. Not only it would be a way to put emphasis in the stage control aspect of K. Rool's playstyle, but it would also make him feel like a representative of the Kremling race, and not just of what he does in his boss fights. The (toned-down) kannonball barrage, on the other hand, could potentially be his up smash instead, where he shakes the ground and makes two kannonballs fall from above next to him on the right and left.
I agree it works as a D-Air; I just detest that kind of move full stop.

I'd have the belly flop from DKL in as a D-Air spike. Who doesn't love spikes?
The butt-bounce I think would work as a down smash, as an added flavor it would only make the enemies fly away if they're hit by the shockwave around K. Rool, otherwise if they're hit by K. Rool himself they're burried. But it seems meh as a down aerial, and it would be terrible if is was a down special.

I also agree about the belly flop being a much better idea for a down aerial. Part of how I envision K. Rool as a fighter is a sort of "hit and run" gameplay, someone who overall dislikes melee combat asides from charging. As a way to put emphasis on that, I think the belly flop would work as a reverse sex kick (a property only Dr. Mario's neutral air has in the entire game), a move with a single hitbox which lasts for long, but contrary to regular sex kicks become stronger in the move's later frames. At the beggining of the move it will inflict weak horizontal knockback, but close to the end of the move it will become much stronger and have spiking properties. Combined with K. Rool's high falling speed it means that you must start the move when you're well above them and make sure you fall in order to hit them during the hotbox's spiking properties duration.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Warning: this is a move suggestion for King K. Rool based on something he doesn't personally use in Donkey Kong games, which may be seen as a crime by disciples of the "MUH MOVESET POTENTIAL" philosophy based on the fact that what defines "uniqueness" is the number of moves they personally use in their source games and the ability to port them directly to Smash without the need of creative liberties.

Joke aside, what do you think about a Klobber as a down special for K. Rool? What should define K. Rool's playstyle should at least be stage control, and I'm sure this would be a great opportunity to contribute to that. Here's how I think it could work: K. Rool summons a barrel in front on him, if there's a grounded enemy not far in front of K. Rool, the Klobber will immediately reveal his identity and run, otherwise it waits until there's an enemy close to him. Anyone who is hit by a running Klobber will receive some knockback and damage. Whenever the Klobber hits an obstacle (such as a wall, or an enemy, including one who's using a shield), he will stop in his race and will know a cool-down period of a few seconds before he can start running again. If he's waiting inside his barrel, he can be picked up as an heavy item, similar to the regular barrel, and thrown, though as a thrown item the Klobber will be less powerful than a regular barrel. If K. Rool summons a Klobber, he can't summon another until the first one disappears.

The Klobber is green most of the time, but can also be yellow or grey at random. This, however, is purely cosmetical and has no effect on the gameplay (contrary to the source material where yellow and especially grey Klobbers are particularly dangerous).

The K. Rool moveset I have in my mind has as special moves: blunderbuss stuff (neutral B), krown toss (side B), helipack (up B) and a toned-down kannonball barrage (down B), but I've thought about trading the later for the Klobber. Not only it would be a way to put emphasis in the stage control aspect of K. Rool's playstyle, but it would also make him feel like a representative of the Kremling race, and not just of what he does in his boss fights. The (toned-down) kannonball barrage, on the other hand, could potentially be his up smash instead, where he shakes the ground and makes two kannonballs fall from above next to him on the right and left.

The butt-bounce I think would work as a down smash, as an added flavor it would only make the enemies fly away if they're hit by the shockwave around K. Rool, otherwise if they're hit by K. Rool himself they're burried. But it seems meh as a down aerial, and it would be terrible if is was a down special.

I also agree about the belly flop being a much better idea for a down aerial. Part of how I envision K. Rool as a fighter is a sort of "hit and run" gameplay, someone who overall dislikes melee combat asides from charging. As a way to put emphasis on that, I think the belly flop would work as a reverse sex kick (a property only Dr. Mario's neutral air has in the entire game), a move with a single hitbox which lasts for long, but contrary to regular sex kicks become stronger in the move's later frames. At the beggining of the move it will inflict weak horizontal knockback, but close to the end of the move it will become much stronger and have spiking properties. Combined with K. Rool's high salling speed it means that you must start the move when you're well above them and make sure you fall in order to hit them during the hotbox's spiking properties duration.
I'd be down for having Klobber as that special. Anything that makes for an interesting piece of stage control or projectile to me is a much more interesting option.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
On the idea on K. Rool doing a temporary team up with the Kongs, my brother and I discussed an awesome "what if" idea. we had discussed an idea where K. Rool steals DKs banana hoard (again), but then some new villain (or old, who knows), takes over K. Rools Kastle while the bananas are still inside. So K. Rool konvinces the Kongs that big bad stole his kastle and *le gasp* the bananas, which prompts a temporary "team up" adventure komplete with platforming involving playable K. Rool using many of his classic attacks such as krown tossing and Blunderbuss using (As well as DK being, well, DK). Skip to final boss fight, where you must fight big bad. half way through the fight, however, K. Rool subdues big bad and (surprise not surprise) takes his place as the other half of the boss fight. Once K. Rool is soundly defeated, have an ending kutscene that suggests a hidden world and secret ending (if said world wasn't already discovered and mostly beaten, assuming that beating the main story kampaign was first required), with both DK and K. Rool wanting the mysteries and treasures of this bonus world for themselves (And for K. Rool, another chance to defeat the Kongs), prompting another forced "team up". Not sure how you could end that koncept though.

D

Deleted member

I feel that in a theorical scenario like that, K.Rool would be like Neo Cortex in Crash Bandicoot 2.

K.Rool would be acting as if he was helping them, but in reality he is using them for his scheems.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I also agree about the belly flop being a much better idea for a down aerial. Part of how I envision K. Rool as a fighter is a sort of "hit and run" gameplay, someone who overall dislikes melee combat asides from charging. As a way to put emphasis on that, I think the belly flop would work as a reverse sex kick (a property only Dr. Mario's neutral air has in the entire game), a move with a single hitbox which lasts for long, but contrary to regular sex kicks become stronger in the move's later frames. At the beggining of the move it will inflict weak horizontal knockback, but close to the end of the move it will become much stronger and have spiking properties. Combined with K. Rool's high falling speed it means that you must start the move when you're well above them and make sure you fall in order to hit them during the hotbox's spiking properties duration.
Klobber could be interesting. And it is notable that people have suggested "Klap Trap" or even "Dumb Drum that releases Klap Traps" before as a Down Special, even though he doesn't ever drop Klap Traps in his battles.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
There's plenty of great moves K. Rool could borrow from his Kremling Krew.

If they want to make his A moves more distinct from, say, Bowser, they could give him different weapons like Kutlass's cutlasses, Kannon's cannon, Krook's hook, Klubba's club, Klump's grenades, Kleever, Zingers etc. That way it would feel like the return of not only K. Rool, but the Kremlings as a whole.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's plenty of great moves K. Rool could borrow from his Kremling Krew.

If they want to make his A moves more distinct from, say, Bowser, they could give him different weapons like Kutlass's cutlasses, Kannon's cannon, Krook's hook, Klubba's club, Klump's grenades, Kleever, Zingers etc. That way it would feel like the return of not only K. Rool, but the Kremlings as a whole.
Well, I'm not really sure how Kannon's Cannon would be any different from the blunderbuss...

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Since we were discussing design some pages ago, how would you feel if K. Rool returned in DKC... aged? Much like Ganondorf from OOT to Wind Waker. A cool white beard, preferably short, some wrinkles, stuff like that. I would find it quite cool tbh.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The Klaptraps usually get mentioned because of K. Rool's affinity for them in DK64.

I'd personally not like K. Rool to summon a bunch of standard Kremlings props for his moves (he should consider himself above his underlings), though I have suggested that, if the team believes the blunderbuss is "too realistic," they apply its properties to Kannon's hand cannon.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; today's the day. Either we get some sort of Smash News and that Maintenance is intended to add more characters, or it's really just a simple bug fix/character changes update. I do hope its the former.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well guys; today's the day. Either we get some sort of Smash News and that Maintenance is intended to add more characters, or it's really just a simple bug fix/character changes update. I do hope its the former.
Actually tomorrow is possible for the news

The maintence does not start till like 6pm of what ever time zone it is.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Actually tomorrow is possible for the news

The maintence does not start till like 6pm of what ever time zone it is.
The thing is, I don't think they'd announce a character/characters the same day that they're having maintenance for. They want people to be aware of them in advance if any are coming(as in, it would make sense to get news today).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The thing is, I don't think they'd announce a character/characters the same day that they're having maintenance for. They want people to be aware of them in advance if any are coming(as in, it would make sense to get news today).
Ahem.

:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:

When did sakurai say these guys will come out on that quick direct about some of the smash dlc.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Ahem.

:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:

When did sakurai say these guys will come out on that quick direct about some of the smash dlc.
Yes, they came out the same day, but we knew Lucas was coming for about 2 months and was placed with Roy and Ryu and unfortunately, Roy and Ryu themselves got leaked the day before they were intended to be released. Sure, that may be irrelevant, but it's not always necessarily true.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
The Klaptraps usually get mentioned because of K. Rool's affinity for them in DK64.

I'd personally not like K. Rool to summon a bunch of standard Kremlings props for his moves (he should consider himself above his underlings), though I have suggested that, if the team believes the blunderbuss is "too realistic," they apply its properties to Kannon's hand cannon.
If the enemies in DKC are seen as K. Rool's underlings then i COULD see his UP-B recovery him being carried up by a group of zingers, or the evil parrot from dkc 2. Would fit quite well as I sit here and imagine it, It'd contribute to his "User/dictator" characteristic he's had since DK 64.

It ALSO makes me think of K. Rool as the "master of Donkey kong enemies." Kind of like how Pac-Man is considered the "Namco Master," because of HIS moveset. In a posh accent, I'd fancy this this look for K. Rool in smash, it would give his character a much more focused approach in terms of moveset, and design. But FOR SURE I wouldn't want all his moves to be a bunch of "spawns klaptrap," type projectiles, that would indeed be hella cheesy and bowser-jr. esque.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I hope King K Rool makes it so I don't flip out. Seriously I've been thinking about this and I made myself angry.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Hypothetically, how would ya'll react if K. Rool was released as a playable fighter, but looks completely different from his Rare or PAON designs? Something that Retro would want to put their own spin on King K. Rool:

Not saying he'd be like that completely, but I think it would be something Retro would do and would make him fit in better with designs like Snowmads. Let's say the K. Rool Mii Costume is just a homage to his Rare design but Sakurai decided to go with a design being made for a future DKCR3 game?
I find this design wonderful.
Why am I the only one?
Maybe it's because I have no nostalgia for the DK series.

Top Bottom