• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
So if K Rool doesnt get in as DLC, theres nothing stopping him from being a top contender for Smash 5. Unlike Ridley, nothing is holding K Rools design back. The DKC series is still getting updated often, and we will likely see K Rool in a future main entry.

Geno will likely not be in Nintendo titles due to Square. Nintendo however, owns K Rool, and recently updated his trademark showing they are interested in keeping him. I think its safe to say theres still a future for the Kroc, regardless if hes DLC.

With Ridley and Mewtwo out of the way, and with the good chance of Wolfs return, what other major villains are there for Nintendo to include? Surely none as large as the Kroc!
well there's Classic Ganon (from The Hero is Dead timeline), Porky Minch (Mother 2 Spider Mech), Original Ridley (from Super Metoid+Brawl design), Sylux (the only non-one shot Prime Hunter), and Medusa/Hades (Sakurai is probably still pushing for more KI content in Smash, might as well mention these).

if K.Rool loses, or even win, we can always go after the very first two people i mentioned.

there's seriously need to be a Smashboards group dedicated for supporting for other major villain/rival of Nintendo and friends (like the Space Pirate Mansion and the Forgotten 7 group.) ("Legion of NintenDoom" anyone?)

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I've looked at the results on my "Which DLCs did you buy" post and it's interesting to see that it sold much more than average, being bought by 30.34% of people who took the poll, with the second best selling costume being the Inkling one with a 22.47% selling rate. This gives me more hope for my theory about Nintendo wanting to make as much money out of him as possible in the short term before releasing the real deal, though since I've advertised this poll in this thread I suppose results may be kinda biased towards Kutthroats who bought the costume (which looks gorgeous btw) to support him with a similar mindset to my theory.

Something else I've thought about, do you think it would be plausible to get a big Donkey Kong bundle made of several elements that can't be bought separately? I'm saying that because I think both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong seem like top choices for DLC, but I have a feeling the later is individually more likely (I don't want to see a debate about which of them is more likely or deserving please, that's not the point) and that having both in a bundle (thus without the ability to buy them separately) would be an amazing opportunity for King K. Rool to make it in. I mean, they both come from the same series and thus there's a lot of overlap in fan support for them and the core audience they would be mostly targeted at (you may say "but DLC has to sell to as much people as possible!" which is true but that doesn't mean there's no specific core target audience, because Ryu was manifestly marketed mostly towards fans of Street Fighters and to an extent traditional fighting games as a whole), so I have a feeling we're getting either only one of them or both without the ability to buy them separately. This bundle would also have a new Donkey Kong themed stage (most likely a brand new one I'd say) in order to give it more appeal as a DK-themed bundle and to make sure Dixie Kong and K. Rool don't feel like two characters bundled for the sake of it.

So it would be like this: Donkey Kong special bundle, King K. Rool + Dixie Kong + brand new Donkey Kong themes stage for 9.99$ (or 12.99$ on both versions)

Do you think it would make sense from a business perspective? Do you think fans would mostly be okay to buy the entire bundle if they're only interested in one of these characters in particular or that they would repulsed by the higher price? Do you think there would be a lot of outcry from fans who would feel ripped off by the inability to buy them separately? And how would you personally feel about this? I know it's mostly wishful thinking, but I want to hear some opinions about the idea.

Personally I would die of happiness if there was such a bundle, but I can't help but think that such an idea could potentially be panned by some fans who wouldn't like to see such a high priced single DLC bundle when other DLC sells for characters are much less costly overall. Feel free to share your thoughts.
If they did this, I think most would love this. However:
1. I feel the chances of any DLC character coming in from an already repped series isn't getting a stage, since Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy didn't. Ryu did, but he was a newcomer from a new series. However, that's not to say that it's impossible.

2. While there isn't a rule stating that only one character from a series can be DLC, I personally think that it's either Dixie or K. Rool or nobody. I could be wrong though, as all of this IS speculation after all.

3. The prices are all up to the individual, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, if precedent is any indicator, today's the day we should see the winners of the "Unity" contest selected. It's a win-win for us...either we get a K. Rool pic as one of the winners or we get to question why they all got passed over (some of them were pretty damn good IMO).

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Well, if precedent is any indicator, today's the day we should see the winners of the "Unity" contest selected. It's a win-win for us...either we get a K. Rool pic as one of the winners or we get to question why they all got passed over (some of them were pretty damn good IMO).
It's not exactly unity related but I adore the Chef K Rool picture. By far the best thing I think has ever come out of Miiverse.

so that tamaki guy said the he thinks that its shovel knight coming to smash.

i personally dont care who gets in as long as king k rool is one of them.

k rool is villian from 1 of nintendos biggest franchises,hes "retro" now,hes very popular and yet he still isnt in the game,we are already 4 games in and he still isnt there....at this rate i expect "goomba" to be playable in smash before k rool is

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...is_indeed_digging_his_way_to_super_smash_bros

I'd serious not give Nintendo a penny if they put this nobody in Smash.

Literally not even the most popular or unique indie character out there. He's had ONE game. If research holds true, hes literally the closest example of a bandwagon character as most of his popularity died down very fast, and is still unknown to Japan. Will Nintendo really do this to their hardcore Nintendo fans? Are they really just going to push us aside....us as in K Rool Fans/Isaac Fans/ Bandana Dee Fans/ Ridley Fans/ etc for Shovel Knight....a character they don't even own?! For a character that gets more features on other consoles? Sure theres the rumor that we are getting playing Metaknight on Nintendo platforms in the game, but does that warrant his inclusion among Nintendos "All Stars?" Even lesser known characters like Lucina and Robin stared in games that sold better than Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...is_indeed_digging_his_way_to_super_smash_bros

I'd serious not give Nintendo a penny if they put this nobody in Smash
Yeah, I mean I get the supporters, sure it's a great game(I've never played it), but Shovel Knight is currently a one-hit wonder with no relationship to Nintendo. Even compared to other Indies, he's near the bottom of the pile(I mean Shantae is essentially the original Nindie, and has had multiple games that started on and stayed somewhat exclusive to Nintendo). I also don't see the appeal design or fight wise, I mean he's a generic Knight(which the roster has plenty of), with a Shovel. I'm not dissing the fans, I'm just saying compared to about every other candidate he doesn't overly deserve to be in smash, and it seems like the only reason he would be in is because he's the current hot new western character. Unless of course Nintendo's buying Yacht Club Games which is unlikely. I mean putting him in would seem like a Sony Playstation all-stars move, not a Nintendo move

cothero

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I certainly have my doubts about Tamaki, but i'll paying attention for any announcements at PAX. While K. Rool is FAR more deserving, and Shovel Knight makes little sense as he hasnt been in Japan yet, I wouldn't be mad if he is included... But if HE can get in, but NOT the King, it'll be riot time.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

Literally not even the most popular or unique indie character out there. He's had ONE game. If research holds true, hes literally the closest example of a bandwagon character as most of his popularity died down very fast, and is still unknown to Japan. Will Nintendo really do this to their hardcore Nintendo fans? Are they really just going to push us aside....us as in K Rool Fans/Isaac Fans/ Bandana Dee Fans/ Ridley Fans/ etc for Shovel Knight....a character they don't even own?! For a character that gets more features on other consoles? Sure theres the rumor that we are getting playing Metaknight on Nintendo platforms in the game, but does that warrant his inclusion among Nintendos "All Stars?" Even lesser known characters like Lucina and Robin stared in games that sold better than Shovel Knight.
I honestly will not be surprised if Shovel Knight is chosen. He seems like a very high fan request and would bring in the money...maybe more so than a lot of first parties. I am not losing faith in our King at all, but I will not set myself up for disappointment if Shovel Knight becomes a reality.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
For a character that gets more features on other consoles?
Worth noting they have been teasing a "megaton" announcement for the Nintendo versions, so there is that. Plus, Nintendo versions have Miiverse/Streetpass battles and it launched on Nintendo and PC first.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

Shovel Knight is hardly a nobody. Plague of Shadows is coming out any day now, and the game itself has always been phenomenal. As far as indie characters go, I don't see any reason why he can't be in.

That said, as much as I would love to see him in Smash, I will be very ticked if he gets in and K. Rool doesn't. It'll be nigh undeniable proof that Nintendo doesn't have a clue what it's doing with this roster.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Lets compare some of the top contenders:

K Rool: Main antagonist of Nintendo's 5th best selling series
Isaac: Protagonist from a series that has had 3 games, seeing good sales during its prime
Banjo: One of the biggest Nintendo and Rare Icons of the N64 Days
Inklings: Nintendos first in house IP in sometime, and already is a hit.
Rayman: Been around since the N64 days, and is one of the best selling 3rd party series on the Wii.
Bandana Dee: The next in line from the Kirby series...a series Sakurai created.

Shovel Knight: One game. Multiplat. Just reached its one year anniversary. Even Shantae and Cave story have made a bigger impact than Shovel Knight has.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

I'd serious not give Nintendo a penny if they put this nobody in Smash
I have a bad feeling about this. If we get yet another third party character before K. Rool, I think I'm done with Nintendo. Not that I think Shovel Knight is a bad character by any stretch of the imagination, considering that it was my second favorite game of 2014 behind Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. However, a third party character that has appeared in literally one game should not be given priority over a character people have been clamoring for since Melee. I've never subscribed to the notion that "my character is better than your character", but seniority should matter. K. Rool has been waiting long enough, and they're still stringing us along with ambiguous Mii costumes. Meanwhile, a character from 2014 can just march right onto the roster without any problems. Unacceptable.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
This is why roster fighting is inevitable. Because I honestly do want to see Shovel Knight in Smash, but there are a lot of other, potentially better options that'd be passed over for his inclusion. (Also, not cool, calling him a "generic knight." There are reasons why he's not the best option, but that's not one of them.)

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
At least its not Shantae lol
Please stop posting things like this. At least Shantae has a legacy of some kind. Shovel Knight just came out. Again, I don't think he's a bad character, but it's too soon. Can we all agree on that? Meanwhile, K. Rool has been waiting his turn for like two decades and we pretty much have to beg Nintendo for attention. It's getting harder and harder to care at this point.

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Please stop posting things like this. At least Shantae has a legacy of some kind. Shovel Knight just came out. Again, I don't think he's a bad character, but it's too soon. Can we all agree on that? Meanwhile, K. Rool has been waiting his turn for like two decades and we pretty much have to beg Nintendo for attention. It's getting harder and harder to care at this point.
K Rool will come eventually. It might not be until the next Smash, but Nintendo clearly sees the love for him. They made the costume and they also trademarked him. Which I think means they will be reviving him in the DK series. The only way he could not get in would be if it were like Ridley's reason.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
On today's episode of "Why K Rool would be competitive" alongside a moveset with added percentages and frame data, we explore deeper effects of certain moves and why they would be great.

(Note that the moveset is itself essentially the same as the previous; just in more detail.)
Specials:

Neutral Special - Blunderbuss Cannon - F50 - 10% Uncharged, 20% Charged, 5% (Grounded)

King K. Rool fires a spiked cannonball from his blunderbuss. Upon hitting the ground, it remains as an active hitbox for 15 seconds. Opponents who touch the grounded cannonball take damage. Has very slow startup (Comparably, Bowser Jr's cannon is F43) but this is to compensate for its utility as a trapping tool. Only one cannonball can be active at a time.

Advanced:
1) The spiked cannonball deals continuous shield damage to shielded opponents touching it, so using one of K Rool's high shield pushback moves to push opponents into it is a viable strategy.
2) The cannon has quite strong recoil. This makes it a very strong move to change momentum via B-Reversing, but this is useless if a cannonball is active and can lead to poorly placed traps.

Side Special - Krown Toss - F30 - 3%

King K. Rool throws his crown. Whilst holding the button, K Rool can fully control the movement of the crown, but remains helpless whilst doing so, like PK Thunder. When let go, the crown travels in the direction it was when released a little further before fizzling out.

Very low damage to make up for its high utility, particularly in edge-guarding and juggling. Think PK Thunder, but with less than half the damage to make up for the fact K Rool's recovery is not crippled by it, and without the almost OHKO that is PKT2. Can be B-Reversed.

Down Special - Cannonball Crash - F15 - 10%

King K. Rool plucks a cannonball from hammerspace and drops it below him. If it hits the ground, once it settles it can be picked up and thrown. It is fairly heavy, so significantly slows lighter characters who attempt to use it. Only one can be active at a time. When settled on the ground, it has no active hitbox.

Advanced:

1) Knockback direction is the same as the one K Rool was facing when the ball was dropped or thrown. This gives the same combo opportunities as the gyro. However, it is slower when thrown and does not have an active hitbox, for balancing purposes.
2) Whilst the hitbox is only active from F15, the move activates F1, similarly to Pikachu's Thunder, making it an excellent vertical combo breaker (ZSS eat your heart out).
3) If used mid-air, the momentum of the cannonball gives K Rool a vertical boost that allows him to air stall similarly to e.g. Mario's Cape.

Up Special - Flight of Ikarus (Copter) - F20 (Aerial), F10 (Grounded) - 2% (Aerial, Blades), 4% (End), 1%, 2%, 2%, 5% (Grounded)

K Rool gets out his copter and flies upwards. The blades of the copter form a disjointed hitbox above him, making him difficult to spike, though easy to be hit horizontally.

When used upon the ground, K Rool gets out his copter and spins the blades. A weak hit knocks grounded opponents upwards into them; like ROBs Up Smash. The disjoint makes it a great anti-air move.

Neutrals:

Jab Combo - F3 - (3%, 5%)

K Rool performs a quick one two punch combo from DK64. Fast startup and decent damage. High base knockback but low growth means that this is a good "get-off me" move, but never really threatens a KO.

Dash Attack - F15 - 2%, 11%

K Rool performs a charging headbutt. The initial head swing deals 2% and knocks them into the crown headbutt which deals 11%. Envision this as similar to Ike's Dash Attack. Has high shield push-back and knockback.

Forward Tilt - F6 - 7%, 1%

K Rool punches forwards. His glove flies off the end of his fist as a very weak projectile for spacing. Can be angled upwards or downwards.

Up Tilt - F6 - 7%, 1%

Identical to the forward tilt, but upwards.

Down Tilt - F5 - 5%

K Rool swipes at the opponents feet with gloves or tails. Has a chance to trip.

Smashes:

Forward Smash - Blunderbuss Explosion - F20 - 16% (Closest), 8% (Farthest)

K Rool causes an explosion from the end of his Blunderbuss for a strong, disjointed Smash. The damage and knockback caused are dependent on the distance of the opponent from the centre of the explosion.

Down Smash - F8 - 10% (Body) 5% (Shockwaves)

K Rool drops to the ground in a butt slam that creates shockwaves. More charge causes more shockwaves of larger sizes.

Up Smash - F10 - 16%

K Rool performs a strong uppercut as in DK64. The glove has invincibility frames.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial - King of Spin - F3 - 4% (Body), 6% (Crown)

K Rool quickly spins in midair.

Forward Aerial - Kremling Klaw - F7 - 8%

K Rool slashes forwards; from Barrel Blast. Basically Bowser's Fair but quicker with much less damage.

Back Aerial - Blunderbuss Flames - F10 - 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 4%

K Rool spurts flames out of the back of his blunderbuss, propelling himself forward in mid-air. These flames are multihitting and give him some forward momentum in mid-air.

Up Aerial - Crown Swipe - F12 - 10%

K Rool swipes above his head with his crown for a strong, disjointed attack.

Down Aerial - Belly Flop - F12 - 10%

K Rool thrusts his royal girth out for a relatively quick but weak spike.

Grab - Blunderbuss Vacuum - F10

K Rool's grab is unique in that his grab is a vacuum in the vein of Kirby and King Dedede that sucks opponents in with his Blunderbuss. The suction effect of this grab can pull around his cannonballs on the stage, but if it absorbs a projectile, it explodes, causing damage to K Rool.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

"Retailer souces" implies that its about a Shovel Knight Amiibo. Which, again, we have no given release date even for already released DLC characters who have Amiibo announced.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
K Rool will come eventually. It might not be until the next Smash, but Nintendo clearly sees the love for him. They made the costume and they also trademarked him. Which I think means they will be reviving him in the DK series. The only way he could not get in would be if it were like Ridley's reason.
But it is nothing like Ridley's case (which is also bull****)

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
But maybe Shovel Knight's inclusion would count to rep for all indie games and not him specifically

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So if Shovel Knight is confirmed this would deconfirm K Rool and Snake, since Tamaki said no to them. This would also confirm only 2 characters left (which the last is likely Wolf).

Congratulations. Our two final DLC characters are:

Wolf
Shovel Knight

A veteran that everyone expected before the ballot became a thing.
A one hit wonder

Truly "fan service" Sakurai.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Lets compare some of the top contenders:

K Rool: Main antagonist of Nintendo's 5th best selling series
Isaac: Protagonist from a series that has had 3 games, seeing good sales during its prime
Banjo: One of the biggest Nintendo and Rare Icons of the N64 Days
Inklings: Nintendos first in house IP in sometime, and already is a hit.
Rayman: Been around since the N64 days, and is one of the best selling 3rd party series on the Wii.
Bandana Dee: The next in line from the Kirby series...a series Sakurai created.

Shovel Knight: One game. Multiplat. Just reached its one year anniversary. Even Shantae and Cave story have made a bigger impact than Shovel Knight has.
I cannot stress this enough.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
So if Shovel Knight is confirmed this would deconfirm K Rool and Snake, since Tamaki said no to them. This would also confirm only 2 characters left (which the last is Wolf).

Wolf
Shovel Knight

A one hit wonder

Well Sakurai and team could always put in more slots. It's not impossible. That's what they did for Mewtwo or Lucas, Roy, and Ryu's patch right?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So if Shovel Knight is confirmed this would deconfirm K Rool and Snake, since Tamaki said no to them. This would also confirm only 2 characters left (which the last is likely Wolf).

Wolf
Shovel Knight

A one hit wonder

How would this confirm only 2 characters left? (Also, Tamaki was only speculating just like the latest Nintendo life video, he doesn't know anything more.)

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
How would this confirm only 2 characters left? (Also, Tamaki was only speculating just like the latest Nintendo life video, he doesn't know anything more.)
He says he knows more, but he isn't allowed in case someone loses their job.

Wow, this thread has a LOT of visitors. Is this the new general discussion thread?

Last edited:

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Tamaki said he didn't think K Rool would be in because he hadn't heard anything about him and assumed the mii costume meant he was going to begin.

While thats not good news, it clearly doesn't mean K Rool is not in.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Don't believe this. We have seen Sakurai's third party choices before. They are all huge icons that are also recognized in JP. I don't doubt we'd get more third party characters as DLC, but Shovel Knight seems like too much of an unproven entity (in the long-run).

Maybe he might get an Amiibo -- maybe. But that doesn't mean it has to be for Smash Brothers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He says he knows more, but he isn't allowed in case someone loses their job.

Wow, this thread has a LOT of visitors. Is this the new general discussion thread?
Again, though, he made it pretty clear all he "knows" is speculating by doing research. He doesn't actually -know- these things, he's just speculating based on other research. Someone just beat him to the punch.

Don't believe this. We have seen Sakurai's third party choices before. They are all huge icons that are also recognized in JP. I don't doubt we'd get more third party characters as DLC, but Shovel Knight seems like too much of an unproven entity (in the long-run).

Maybe he might get an Amiibo -- maybe. But that doesn't mean it has to be for Smash Brothers.
I think its a Shovel Knight standalone Amiibo. That fits the criteria of "not what you expected" far better than him in Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't like hating on other characters, but I don't like this rumour one bit.
I'd rather not have a character who has been around for less than the time I've spent supporting other characters.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm obviously going to be disappointed if any character OTHER than K. Rool is announced, but...

I would actually love it if Shovel Knight got in.
I've put in a lot of votes for K. Rool, but I may have snuck in one or two for SK. I didn't want to say anything here before, because I was afraid you guys would tear me apart (and I probably deserve it if you do), but I'd be hyped if this rumor turns out true. Sorry. :skull:

Of course, I would be disappointed for lack of K. Rool, and feel for Isacc fans (even though I don't want him at all).

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
If all we get is a veteran and a third party then that would probably be the most disappointing outcome possible. I'm OK with Wolf and he deserves to come back, BUT, if a character that's existed for 2 years at best (or doesn't even have a specific relation to Nintendo) gets precedence over a character that people have been waiting for 14 YEARS TO PLAY AS, I'd be pretty mad. I'm alright with third parties existing, but if the outcome is Wolf and Shovel Knight, for example, the only thing that would help is initial hype. People like Etika would probably scream at the top of their lungs at first, but then after that all that's left is a random character from an Independent developer. If Shovel Knight got in, then fine, but this better not result in not getting ANY new Nintendo reps.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
OK; apparently it's not just going to go away so I have to ask: what on earth is the problem?

Congratulations, a guy said he thinks K Rool isn't getting in and Shovel Knight is. Who cares? If a massive debate erupted every time this happened we'd have doubled the number of posts we actually have. It feels to me like everyone is getting worked up over absolutely nothing, as usual, and everytime it happens the thread descends into meaningless toxicity towards other characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think its a Shovel Knight standalone Amiibo. That fits the criteria of "not what you expected" far better than him in Smash.
Speaking of this... could it be for Mario Maker?

Considering not all the costumes have been unlocked yet, and Shovel Knight itself was made to pay homage to NES games.... it just fits together.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
The thing that kills me is, not Shovel Knight the character, it's how he gets in. He's been around for one year and has got one game, with a second one coming out soon. Whereas the likes of K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo and Rayman have had a legacy and decades of games to establish their place in Nintendo/Rareware/Ubisoft. Shovel Knight doesn't have this, he has his company whoring him out to Sakurai and that somehow makes him playable? My most wanted third party character is Rayman, and it'd appalling to think how a nobody got in before him, or Hell, even Banjo. K. Rool and Isaac are literally NINTENDO characters that are extremely popular, I would not be surprised if they have been neck and neck in the ballot. A nobody gets in before popular Nintendo characters, that's what bothers me on a deeper level than most people. It sickens me, really, it does.

Top Bottom