• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Speaking of this... could it be for Mario Maker?

Considering not all the costumes have been unlocked yet, and Shovel Knight itself was made to pay homage to NES games.... it just fits together.
Well, yeah. The advantage of a Shovel Knight Amiibo is that it'd be compatible with multiple games, including Smash, Mario Maker, MAYBE Mario Kart, and other future Mario and Nintendo titles. It would allow Shovel Knight to appear in a minor way in a lot of Nintendo games, and not necessarily make him a full character in Smash (because he'd just have a Mii Fighter costume in Smash instead).

The thing that kills me is, not Shovel Knight the character, it's how he gets in. He's been around for one year and has got one game, with a second one coming out soon. Whereas the likes of K. Rool, Isaac, Banjo and Rayman have had a legacy and decades of games to establish their place in Nintendo/Rareware/Ubisoft. Shovel Knight doesn't have this, he has his company whoring him out to Sakurai and that somehow makes him playable? My most wanted third party character is Rayman, and it'd appalling to think how a nobody got in before him, or Hell, even Banjo. K. Rool and Isaac are literally NINTENDO characters that are extremely popular, I would not be surprised if they have been neck and neck in the ballot. A nobody gets in before popular Nintendo characters, that's what bothers me on a deeper level than most people. It sickens me, really, it does.
Its not even a second game. Its a campaign through the same game with a new playable character (Shovel Knight isn't even playable, and so far hasn't even been SEEN in the game; though my guess is Shovel Knight will be the boss of Plague Knight's level).

Otherwise, I agree totally on the "bothers me on a deep level."

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think the meltdowns are premature. Shovel Knight having an amiibo (which is still in question) =/= Smash Brothers. It might be a popular game at the moment, but the entry "requirements" for third parties seems much higher than that. The fact that this character is basically a non-entity in JP just seals the deal for me. He is not Smash Brothers material, yet.

I think everyone is running too far ahead with their worst fears and imagination.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I think the meltdowns are premature. Shovel Knight having an amiibo (which is still in question) =/= Smash Brothers. It might be a popular game at the moment, but the entry "requirements" for third parties seems much higher than that. The fact that this character is basically a non-entity in JP just seals the deal for me. He is not Smash Brothers material, yet.

I think everyone is running too far ahead with their worst fears and imagination.
I agree, though I can't help but fear a little bit about this. I'm still convinced this is a standalone Shovel Knight Amiibo not related to Smash, though I am a little worried.

And yes, for anyone else asking, I AM OPPOSED TO SHOVEL KNIGHT IN SMASH. Not because I hate Shovel Knight, there's just far more iconic characters who could--and should--be added over Shovel Knight. Rayman, Bomberman, hell, even Shantae is a better choice. I'm not going to twist my words to try and avoid "offending" anyone; personally I think Shovel Knight is among the worst picks for Smash at this point in time.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Don't believe this. We have seen Sakurai's third party choices before. They are all huge icons that are also recognized in JP. I don't doubt we'd get more third party characters as DLC, but Shovel Knight seems like too much of an unproven entity (in the long-run).

Maybe he might get an Amiibo -- maybe. But that doesn't mean it has to be for Smash Brothers.
Tamaki is insisting his source has nothing to do with the amiibo....yet the amiibo is for smash bros.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't picked up by Nintendolife, admittedly.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman

It's very hard not to be cautious and concerned at all times, DK fans have been repeatedly screwed over for no good reason.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Tamaki is insisting his source has nothing to do with the amiibo....yet the amiibo is for smash bros.
The Amiibo is supposedly for Smash Bros. Keep in mind, EVERY time a new Amiibo is announced, people suddenly jump up and say "Is XYZ GOING TO BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH?!" Smash is the FIRST thing everyone thinks of, and also keep in mind that Yacht Club pretty blatantly said the Amiibo listing was false, and sure, they could've been lying, but you could've fooled me with how they worded it.

Not to mention all the Amiibo costumes in Mario Maker. People jump to conclusions ALL THE TIME regarding Amiibo.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Remember a few months ago, when that guy (don't remember his name) came in here and claimed he had a source friend who told him "Shovel Knight is all anyone at Nintendo is talking about and there's no one mentioning K. Rool"? We wrote him off partly for returning and saying his source could be pulling his leg and also having limited insight into NoA at all, but it's worth revisiting now.

If Shovel Knight actually gets in, I refuse to believe it was fan-service, because the guy also said that "Nintendo is planning Shovel Knight as a way to further indie ties and bring his game overseas." It would be just more promotional BS, just with the defense of "you voted for him, see?"

Despicable if true. Let's hope it's not, and KEEP VOTING K. ROOL, this time emphasizing that you want quality Nintendo characters as your picks, not unrelated fads.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
When the Kutthroat skype has a call for a possible new direct, and Shovel Knight shows up playable, I'm closing my account and returning my WiiU...ok maybe not return it, but I'm not touching it until a new DKC game with Rool in it.

Not over Banjo, Rool, Isaac and Rayman.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Appearantly found these relating to Tamaki:
The only time this guy was right about future releases was ZombiU getting ported to other consoles. He may have right about some of his information on past games, but as of now this is likely just his "Rumor of the month" to get another 15 minutes of fame. As of now I don't think Shovel Knight's chances are raised at all by this, nor do K. Rools chances seem to be hurt by this.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Appearantly found these relating to Tamaki:
I read through a lot of Unseen 64's past statements. They got some things right and some things wrong. Ultimately, they don't really know anything, its all speculation. They may have more ties than we do; contacting retailers and the like, but they don't know much more than we do regarding anything really.

When the Kutthroat skype has a call for a possible new direct, and Shovel Knight shows up playable, I'm closing my account and returning my WiiU...ok maybe not return it, but I'm not touching it until a new DKC game with Rool in it.

Not over Banjo, Rool, Isaac and Rayman.
I won't go to that extreme, but I'll probably leave the chat for a while and I'll definitely stray far away from the Smash speculation scene.

The only time this guy was right about future releases was ZombiU getting ported to other consoles. He may have right about some of his information on past games, but as of now this is likely just his "Rumor of the month" to get another 15 minutes of fame. As of now I don't think Shovel Knight's chances are raised at all by this, nor do K. Rools chances seem to be hurt by this.
The main thing here is Nintendo Life getting hold of likely the same information Tamaki already had. Its unlikely that if Tamaki had contacts in Nintendo and other gaming companies Nintendo Life would get the same info. The notion that he has contacts across multiple companies is also pretty ridiculous as well. He has contacts related TO the gaming industry, probably largely related to retailers specifically. And retailers don't know everything.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Honestly I almost don't think we should put up with this. Smashboards is one of the largest dedicated communities for Smash Bros on the internet. We've been campaigning for characters for years longer than this character existed.

Based on numbers, hes not even top 10 around here. Among the biggest communities of diehard Nintendo fans, Nintendo chooses to go with the "new and hip character" popular on new hip sites like Reddit.

Shovel Knight doesn't bury the competition, Shovel Knight buries Nintendo fans. Who does Nintendo view as their fans anymore?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly I almost don't think we should put up with this. Smashboards is one of the largest dedicated communities for Smash Bros on the internet. We've been campaigning for characters for years longer than this character existed.

Based on numbers, hes not even top 10 around here. Among the biggest communities of diehard Nintendo fans, Nintendo chooses to go with the "new and hip character" popular on new hip sites like Reddit.

Shovel Knight doesn't bury the competition, Shovel Knight buries Nintendo fans.
King K. Rool Krushes the Kompetition! Right...? *sigh*

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not to mention what he said about K. Rool, which was unprofessional and bias. I am sure that Nintendo would consider K. Rool over Shrek, who has no chance of getting in for a number of reasons, and I am sure Nintendo would not be so biased when it comes to fan service characters. I am sure they wouldn't not consider K. Rool that easily.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not to mention what he said about K. Rool, which was unprofessional and bias. I am sure that Nintendo would consider K. Rool over Shrek, who has no chance of getting in for a number of reasons, and I am sure Nintendo would not be so biased when it comes to fan service characters. I am sure they wouldn't not consider K. Rool that easily.
I'm not sure they wouldn't ignore K. Rool that easily, I KNOW they wouldn't. Maybe they would overlook him, but there is no way, under any circumstance, Shrek is more likely than K. Rool.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not sure they wouldn't ignore K. Rool that easily, I KNOW they wouldn't. Maybe they would overlook him, but there is no way, under any circumstance, Shrek is more likely than K. Rool.
Exactly, Jaidyn! Tamaki wouldn't fit in as a Nintendo employee with him saying things like that, for I am sure the rest of Nintendo would be noting like him. I couldn't even see him lasting a day or two if he worked for them.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
What if at Pax they release a smash trailer for K. rool and give shovel knight a mii costume.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

Well at least we can dislike this video and dislike Shovel Knights reveal trailer. Even if you don't mind him being playable, we still should show Nintendo this isn't acceptable. Regardless if Federation Force has good gameplay, it wasnt acceptable for Nintendo to tag on the "Metroid Prime" title to it, and try to pass it off as a game fans have been demanding. Sure I'll probably play it, but the fact so many people disliked their video shows that Nintendos treatment of fans wasn't right.

Last edited:

NK1046

Smash Apprentice

Well at least we can dislike this video and dislike Shovel Knights reveal trailer. Even if you don't mind him being playable, we still should show Nintendo this isn't acceptable.
Well, lets be rational about this, even if we do, they wouldn't take it as "we want K. Rool". They would just look at it like he isn't going to sell well. And this stuff is exactly what's literally killing Sakurai.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys even if I think Butt Butt getting in Smash is a bad idea, let's not go on an anticapmpaign.

We'd become THAT fan base.

Act with some class.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To add onto my initial post, what raises my hackles is not only that a fad may have potentially been chosen instead of K. Rool! Isaac! Rayman! Snake! and many more, but that, according to the guy (again, his name escapes me) who leaked in here, Nintendo was "talking about" Shovel Knight two weeks into the ballot. One-goddamn-twelfth of the way into the ballot, they may have written off all other candidates if there are indeed only two left, with Wolf consciously being left out of the initial batch so as to ensure he filled in the last spot by default.

If this really is it, it's basically the worst possible way they could've handled it, and a slap to anyone who had faith in them to handle it well.

Not to say I believe this all entirely yet. This guy is basically Swiss cheese in terms of how many holes his coverage has had in the past. Like many of us have committed to do, let's ride out the Kutthroat Kampaign up until the very end, for worse or for better.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Honestly guys if Shovel Knight gets in before K.Rool. I will REALLY question Nintendo's stance on the character. I'm really starting to think the higher ups in the company really despise the character. If he's not in Smash or the next DKC game then yeah...R.I.P K.Rool the company that owns you hates you and killed you...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What if at Pax they release a smash trailer for K. rool and give shovel knight a mii costume.
That'd be hilarious, but I doubt it. Well, the former anyway. I don't think we'll get a character reveal. I do, however, think we'll get the Shovel Knight Amiibo announced, and it will also unlock a Mii Fighter costume like how the Inkling Amiibo did.

To add onto my initial post, what raises my hackles is not only that a fad may have potentially been chosen instead of K. Rool! Isaac! Rayman! Snake! and many more, but that, according to the guy (again, his name escapes me) who leaked in here, Nintendo was "talking about" Shovel Knight two weeks into the ballot. One-goddamn-twelfth of the way into the ballot, they may have written off all other candidates if there are indeed only two left, with Wolf consciously being left out of the initial batch so as to ensure he filled in the last spot by default.

If this really is it, it's basically the worst possible way they could've handled it, and a slap to anyone who had faith in them to handle it well.

Not to say I believe this all entirely yet. This guy is basically Swiss cheese in terms of how many holes his coverage has had in the past. Like many of us have committed to do, let's ride out the Kutthroat Kampaign up until the very end, for worse or for better.
I can't see that happening precisely because it IS the absolute worst case scenario. And I certainly am not giving up on K. Rool either.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I guess Shovel Knight in Runbow just isn't enough. Sure, I like Shovel Knight, and I think he would be cool to have in Smash. But if he gets in before K. Rool, a character that has been requested since Melee...I don't know man.

I just don't buy this bull**** rumor.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

There have been many "leaks" with various characters. Even if SK is added to Smash Bros, which I doubt he will be, doesn't give us reason to think that some of the previous "leaks" including that character had any weight.

Well at least we can dislike this video and dislike Shovel Knights reveal trailer. Even if you don't mind him being playable, we still should show Nintendo this isn't acceptable.
I think we should keep our kampaign focused on K. Rool and minimize negative attacks. It would be distracting, in bad taste, and a poor choice image-wise. Not saying we can't express dissatisfaction, but we should be more tactful and base complaints on our love for K. Rool instead of our disdain for another character. Besides, nothing has been confirmed and there are big reasons to think Shovel Knight would be an implausible choice (no presence in JP, relatively unknown for third party character).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It ended back on the 19th, but the winning pictures will be revealed today.
Do keep in mind, everyone, whatever outcome of this it doesn't change anything either positive or negative.

There have been many "leaks" with various characters. Even if SK is added to Smash Bros, which I doubt he will be, doesn't give us reason to think that some of the previous "leaks" including that character had any weight.
Thank you. SK getting added to Smash does not mean past "leaks" were true in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice

This is just petty.

A rumor comes out and everyone enters full-on panic mode. I love that Nintendo did this ballot and everything but I hate the almost tribal, us vs. them attitude people have adopted.

K. Rool would be cool. Shovel Knight would be cool. Either way we're getting new Smash content and that's amazing.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Guys even if I think Butt Butt getting in Smash is a bad idea, let's not go on an anticapmpaign.

We'd become THAT fan base.

Act with some class.
We can't really stay silent at a time like this though, after neglected for so long.

I agree, the point is to criticise Nintendo, not Shovel Knight, but some leaking is inevitable.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We can't really stay silent at a time like this though, after neglected for so long.

I agree, the point is to criticise Nintendo, not Shovel Knight, but some leaking is inevitable.
Fal.

Let me straight with you.

Tamiki is some hackles troll.

Ignore him.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is just petty.

A rumor comes out and everyone enters full-on panic mode. I love that Nintendo did this ballot and everything but I hate the almost tribal, us vs. them attitude people have adopted.

K. Rool would be cool. Shovel Knight would be cool. Either way we're getting new Smash content and that's amazing.
I'm a little bit irritated, and I don't like the notion of Shovel Knight in Smash period, regardless of the other possibilities. He's a third-party who isn't all that iconic. Even if K. Rool doesn't make it in, if its other highly requested characters that are actually iconic, I'd take that as acceptable. I just don't see it with Shovel Knight (although I did enjoy the game; I didn't "love" the game but I liked it).

I do think everyone is overreacting, though, and I don't think we should go in an anti-campaign or anything.

But on that note, Nintendo Life's article on this subject REALLY pissed me off. They noted that Shovel Knight was "second" in their poll... the same poll which they LEFT OUT King K. Rool for arbitrary reasons. Because K. Rool would've f***ing DOMINATED the poll if he was actually included in it.

Fal.

Let me straight with you.

Tamiki is some hackles troll.

Ignore him.
I didn't think he was... until he said Shrek was more likely than K. Rool. Even K. Rool haters would know that's total bull****.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We're already that fanbase and have been from the moment the ballot hit. People hate the fact that a stupid fat crocodile is kicking their precious favorites' arses, so they go on the offensive. At best, they whine about how little popularity matters on a ballot and how the characters will all be Sakurai's personal favorites and/or preplanned, and at worst, they attack K. Rool fans by demonizing them...calling them f*gs on 4chan, "the new Ridley" fad of revisionist history that Ridley was a fad, and even some **** on GameFAQs who tried spreading that the entire K. Rool fanbase was horrible because another troll said "Vote K. Rool, it's what Iwata would have wanted" the day of his death.

These sick people will stop at nothing to fan the flames of fanbase tribalism, so while I don't advocate downvoting SK videos, don't concern yourself with the opinions of people who are basically beneath you in every way possible.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
This is just petty.

I agree with the first part of the post. I think some people are taking the negativity too far with the doomsday posts. It's rude and also very premature.

But I don't agree with the sentiment implied in the latter half of the post. I think it is okay to complain or even make negative comments about character choices or whatever else Sakurai/Nintendo decide to include in this game. Smash Brothers takes a lot of work and there is a lot of love put into the game, but it isn't a public service. It is a commercial product. Suggesting that simply having Smash Brothers content exist is "amazing" seems like a gag order to have people conform and eat up anything Nintendo dishes out.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We're already that fanbase and have been from the moment the ballot hit. People hate the fact that a stupid fat crocodile is kicking their precious favorites' arses, so they go on the offensive. At best, they whine about how little popularity matters on a ballot and how the characters will all be Sakurai's personal favorites and/or preplanned, and at worst, they attack K. Rool fans by demonizing them...calling them f*gs on 4chan, "the new Ridley" fad of revisionist history that Ridley was a fad, and even some **** on GameFAQs who tried spreading that the entire K. Rool fanbase was horrible because another troll said "Vote K. Rool, it's what Iwata would have wanted" the day of his death.

These sick people will stop at nothing to fan the flames of fanbase tribalism, so while I don't advocate downvoting SK videos, don't concern yourself with the opinions of people who are basically beneath you in every way possible.
Bkupa.

No.

Stop.

This is what Tamiki wants.

Hold your head high.

Don't go down to bullies' level. Especially over a rumor that is most likely false.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree with the first part of the post. I think some people are taking the negativity too far with the doomsday posts. It's rude and also very premature.

But I don't agree with the sentiment implied in the latter half of the post. I think it is okay to complain or even make negative comments about character choices or whatever else Sakurai/Nintendo decide to include in this game. Smash Brothers takes a lot of work and there is a lot of love put into the game, but it isn't a public service. It is a commercial product. Suggesting that simply having Smash Brothers content exist is "amazing" seems like a gag order to have people conform and eat up anything Nintendo dishes out.
Thank you, totally agreed on both points.

Bkupa.

No.

Stop.

This is what Tamiki wants.

Hold your head high.

Don't go down to bullies' level. Especially over a rumor that is most likely false.
I read his statement and I don't think BKupa is implying we go down to their level, just the opposite. But he is venting because he's irritated and frustrated, and I can see that. We're all frustrated.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You know what the fellow says about staring into the abyss...

Best thing to do is wait for PAX in a couple of days and see what happens.

That's if Tamaki isn't just an amoral fraudster.

Which seems more likely with every new minute.

Top Bottom