• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
This is all stupid. Just tell us or don't. Besides, how does he know this character is "ballot" related. He could easily have heard of preballot characters, and just assumes they are from the ballot.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Huh, I had no idea the bundles were labeled differently in Japan. That's good to know. I guess it just makes it even less clear how many DLC fighters we'll get. How many ballot fighters do you think there will be?

By the way, I'm a big fan of all of the translation work that you and the other people at Source Gaming do. Keep up the good work.

I agree that if we get an update announcement, odds are it's going to include a character reveal. I guess there's a chance that we'll just get mii costumes and stages again, but last time that happened Sakurai mentioned the two Smash 64 stages before we got them and tourney mode was added to the game, so a smaller announcement seems a bit less likely to me. I could be totally off though, I find it hard to predict this stuff, especially after that K. Rool mii costume which I totally didn't expect.
Thanks. I expect two characters. I'm hoping for four.

Newcomers will need a lot more work done on them. It's not as simple as coming up with a moveset and just programming them. For the base game, coming up with a moveset takes months. Granted there's more characters but we can expect at least 2-4 weeks planning alone. That includes taking pictures, deciding frames for animation, hitbox and lag and adjustment. Actually making the character depends on who it is and their moveset. I think it's highly unlikely we will see clones so whole bodies need to be rigged, animated and tested. After that then they can start programming. Of course once they finish they need to test the character in a ton of situations. They need to see if they break Smash Run, etc it's jot just the multi-player modes they need to test. And it's twice. 3DS and Wii U.

Since the team was downsized, everything will take longer. Sakurai said Lucas Ryu and Roy were worked on before the ballot announcement. We don't have an exact time frame but sometime around January/ February doesn't seem that farfetched as Lucas had pretty good progress done. Granted he didn't need a new moveset, but Ryu was probably started with him.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is all stupid. Just tell us or don't. Besides, how does he know this character is "ballot" related. He could easily have heard of preballot characters, and just assumes they are from the ballot.
Which is why I really don't trust this. I know there are reasons why one would not state their source, but does he really have to hide them in this situation? With him saying he "thinks" he knows, I have a feeling he is trolling.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I find it incredibly hard to believe they would create this ballot and only add 2 characters from it. Especially if one of those is Wolf who is a veteran. I would be extremely suprised if we don't get at least 3 and at least 2 newcomers. I think 4 is the most likely right now.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Guys.... Something strange happened on Nintendo's twitter:

Could that mean something? o.o (I have a theory they're testing out something on their twitter related to Smash). Also, when I looked on Nintendo's twitter, those 2 announcements are strangely not on their twitter page. I am not lying in the slightest when I say this is from today, about an hour ago (or in my other pieces of evidence, they were posted at about 5:03 PM and 5:05 PM my time (I am CDT)). This showed up on my search page. I have a bit more evidence of these 2 posts if you guys need it.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I find it incredibly hard to believe they would create this ballot and only add 2 characters from it. Especially if one of those is Wolf who is a veteran. I would be extremely suprised if we don't get at least 3 and at least 2 newcomers. I think 4 is the most likely right now.
Who said anything about Wolf getting in through the ballot? Sakurai said it was going to be ballot content after Ryu, Roy and Lucas.

There's a lot of signs that point to 2.
2 unused Mario slots.
2 unused stages in the stage database.
2 icons would made a perfect square on the Wii U (and there's no extra page in the files. Plus shared screen = extra pages annoying). Yes, I know they can remove the names and make more space. Or they can make everyone download new icons for all the characters.

It'd be 6 total characters for DLC, which is a respectable number.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Guys.... Something strange happened on Nintendo's twitter:

Could that mean something? o.o (I have a theory they're testing out something on their twitter related to Smash). Also, when I looked on Nintendo's twitter, those 2 announcements are strangely not on their twitter page. Btw, I am not lying in the slightest when I say this is from today, about an hour ago. This showed up on my search page. I have a bit more evidence if you guys need it.
I just searched the same thing you did and the same tweets about Ryu are popping up. This certainly is interesting, and could mean anything from nothing, to them just doing some test, or preparing for possible announcements or highlights at PAX.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Thanks. I expect two characters. I'm hoping for four.

Newcomers will need a lot more work done on them. It's not as simple as coming up with a moveset and just programming them. For the base game, coming up with a moveset takes months. Granted there's more characters but we can expect at least 2-4 weeks planning alone. That includes taking pictures, deciding frames for animation, hitbox and lag and adjustment. Actually making the character depends on who it is and their moveset. I think it's highly unlikely we will see clones so whole bodies need to be rigged, animated and tested. After that then they can start programming. Of course once they finish they need to test the character in a ton of situations. They need to see if they break Smash Run, etc it's jot just the multi-player modes they need to test. And it's twice. 3DS and Wii U.

Since the team was downsized, everything will take longer. Sakurai said Lucas Ryu and Roy were worked on before the ballot announcement. We don't have an exact time frame but sometime around January/ February doesn't seem that farfetched as Lucas had pretty good progress done. Granted he didn't need a new moveset, but Ryu was probably started with him.
I think there may be a little flexibility, for example if a character made it into the planning stages, but got cut for development(which the possibility is decent), and got resurrected due to ballot support it would take less time than completely from scratch

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, what a day! First, someone says he will share news on a new character, and now something is going on in Nintendo's Twitter? What's next, a Pizza Hut rep coming on here within the next hour sharing free pizza codes if we buy him the next DLC character?

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Warm-up tweets.

Wait, that makes absolutely no sense.
Not really, they've had enough screw-ups they didn't want to release important info on purpose

Also put me in the 4 characters party, they want to do as many as possible, and it's been 6 months, with 2 in development since before the last release, and another 2 that started development later

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Man, what a day! First, someone says he will share news on a new character, and now something is going on in Nintendo's Twitter? What's next, a Pizza Hut rep coming on here within the next hour sharing free pizza codes if we buy him the next DLC character?
Well, Reggie Fils-Aime used to be the lead marketer for Pizza Hut before he became president of NoA, so I wouldn't be too surprised.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I'm usually one to not listen to all these "leaks" but I just google nintendo twitterand it has all their real recent tweets plus the Ryu tweets which say "2 hours ago" that is actually extremely odd

D

Deleted member

(Users: 31, Guests: 18)
Okay...can someone explain me why are there so many people right now?

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
One good question is the CSS and how it will fit future content. Since we know we are getting at least 2 more, and we know the 3DS has a next page button, will it just put all the DLC on one page? Or will they split the roster, so half is on one page and half is on the other.

More importantly, lets look at the current roster of smash wii u.

Theres room for SIX remaining characters. I feel Zelda and Kirby will have to line up eventually, so lets see what happens as we add in two new spots....with a very quick mock up.

It would fix the kirby series, but now the Zelda series is messed up. Theres no way of fixing the Zelda series with just 2 characters, unless we redo the entire roster. The fact that the current DLC arent part of their franchises shows the roster wont get fixed. So ultimately I'd say this is good proof that we will get more than two characters for DLC....but at the most 6.

Actually 6 would just mess it up even more. However 4 would.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
One good question is the CSS and how it will fit future content. Since we know we are getting at least 2 more, and we know the 3DS has a next page button, will it just put all the DLC on one page? Or will they split the roster, so half is on one page and half is on the other.

Theres room for SIX remaining characters. I feel Zelda and Kirby will have to line up eventually, so lets see what happens as we add in two new spots....with a very quick mock up.

It would fix the kirby series, but now the Zelda series is messed up. Theres no way of fixing the Zelda series with just 2 characters, unless we redo the entire roster. The fact that the current DLC arent part of their franchises shows the roster wont get fixed. So ultimately I'd say this is good proof that we will get more than two characters for DLC....but at the most 6.

I don't think they'll line up at the end, but I do agree that there's room for more than just 2. The "only room for 2" argument is ridiculous because they already expanded it once.

D

Deleted member

You know, i realized something.....

Compare our situation back in 2014 to 2015.

During 2014, we were pretty much excluded from any major Rumors and fake Leaks. But nowadays, it's actually hard to see a "Leak" that doesn't have K.Rool.

I don't think it means anything, but i wanted to point it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

"the roster needs to line up" isn't good proof at all. Like you stated it doesn't seem like fixing the roster order is in the cards. Plus the Zelda series would still be messed up.

If you add 5, then Pokemon would get messed up, etc. The roster wasn't organized with Dlc in mind.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
"the roster needs to line up" isn't good proof at all. Like you stated it doesn't seem like fixing the roster order is in the cards. Plus the Zelda series would still be messed up.

If you add 5, then Pokemon would get messed up, etc. The roster wasn't organized with Dlc in mind.
However if you were to throw DH, and ROB up top (which still keeps the theme of series release day) it would look like this when you have 4 DLC characters.

It actually works quite well. I'd say 4 DLC is plausible for now.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
However if you were to throw DH, and ROB up top (which still keeps the theme of series release day) it would look like this when you have 4 DLC characters.

It actually works quite well. I'd say 4 DLC is plausible for now.
I forgot what it's called but you aren't taking into account the screens edge. Designers need to be aware that some people's monitors aren't calibrated correctly which is why major UI elements are never a perfect fit. There's always some border around it/ space to the side. Maybe @vaanrose knows the term for what I'm talking it about (he pointed it out awhile back when talking about fake leaks).

D

Deleted member

Welcome to the K.Rool thread! Where we talk about screen and roster size!

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
I forgot what it's called but you aren't taking into account the screens edge. Designers need to be aware that some people's monitors aren't calibrated correctly which is why major UI elements are never a perfect fit. There's always some border around it/ space to the side. Maybe @vaanrose knows the term for what I'm talking it about (he pointed it out awhile back when talking about fake leaks).
Couldnt they just shrink the pixels of the box, and didnt they already have to do this for the first 4 DLC characters since this created a new column? For each 4 characters for they would need to do the same, so thus if we get at least one more DLC character, it would require that anyways, so 4 seems to be the limit for now.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Couldnt they just shrink the pixels of the box, and didnt they already have to do this for the first 4 DLC characters since this created a new column? For each 4 characters for they would need to do the same, so thus if we get at least one more DLC character, it would require that anyways, so 4 seems to be the limit for now.
Yes, shrinking the icons further is the only reasonable option if there is more than 2 additional DLC characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Even one character on the 3DS layout requires either a new page or shrinking the icons. On the Wii U layout they can just shrink the icons a bit to fit them. Probably wouldn't even need to do it too much, either, since it'd shrink every character just a tiny bit.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Yes, shrinking the icons further is the only reasonable option if there is more than 2 additional DLC characters.
Hey PushDustIn; had a question. Do you think the evidence I found might be foreshadowing something, if at all in your view? Also, I am not sure how to directly quote someone without replying, so my apologies.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So something that bugs me about that Unseen64 guy. He is implying the ballot characters are already in development and ready to be revealed soon. Which one doesn't make sense, given sakurai was busy on other character and stages up until mid june (giving them about 2 months of dev time with less staff, meaning the characters would be EXTREMELY fresh into development to even begin showing acceptable gameplay.

Its possible Nintendo is bringing a new character(s) to PAX, and we are getting ready to get a reveal this week. If so, its easy that he heard details from either someone planning or setting up PAX, and just assumed its ballot content.

The next thing that bugs me.......the ballot still has 40 days left. Is Nintendo basically saying "yeah screw that thing" and just going about making DLC anyways?

Say for example we get Wolf as the "ballot" winner. They would have probably just made Wolf anyways, so why even bother having it in the first place. If this guy does have knowledge of certain future DLC, I think its logical and fair to say the content is still "preballot."

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If I'm remembering my terminology right, I think the word you're after is overscan. :)

Top Bottom