• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So, apparently, a Canadian game retailer claimed that there wouldn't be a physical version of Master Collection anywhere except Asia, of all places.

This is quite weird, seeing as it's usually just certain Koei games that get this (at least for English releases), never Tecmo. Maybe they're playing it safe after the series died years ago?

The only times he ever teases anything are in ways so obtuse that they only make sense after the fact, shortly before presentations happen. Mainly a picture of him spelling "17" in binary, and him chuckling to himself in a tweet before Pyra showed up (ho, ho=Homura). Then there's the time Nintendo themselves gave us a hint for the ARMS character...by saying their arms extend. So yeah, the only thing that can be done is by trying to find evidence and use educated reasoning.

Most people think Sak foreshadows anything in super-obvious ways, especially after all the fun he's had with Palutena and Ridley (as a boss) for Smash 4.
Bummer. Oh well, I've still got 170 gigs on my MicroSD card left (I have a 256GB card for my Switch).

Yeah, but those teases were from seven years ago. People should've realized long ago by now about how secretive Sak has been about the reveals for Ultimate.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So very interesting theory, it seems as though the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION is getting a censored version exclusively for Nintendo Switch which has lead some to theorize that it could be related to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website when you click on the DLC characters it will have a link to their games such as a link to FATAL FURY or MINECRAFT, Joker and Banjo & Kazooie are excluded from this because PERSONA 5 and Banjo-Kazooie are not on the Nintendo Switch (yes PERSONA 5 STRIKERS is on Nintendo Switch but PERSONA 5 itself isn’t) so what’s being speculated here is that maybe NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION is getting this censored version of the game because Nintendo wouldn’t want to link the uncensored version and would want to keep it in the ESRB’S standards, once again what’s interesting is that this censored version is being made exclusively for the Nintendo Switch version
CA535C36-AA8D-4825-BBCC-77B736C7FB62.jpeg

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So very interesting theory, it seems as though the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION is getting a censored version exclusively for Nintendo Switch which has lead some to theorize that it could be related to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website when you click on the DLC characters it will have a link to their games such as a link to FATAL FURY or MINECRAFT, Joker and Banjo & Kazooie are excluded from this because PERSONA 5 and Banjo-Kazooie are not on the Nintendo Switch (yes PERSONA 5 STRIKERS is on Nintendo Switch but PERSONA 5 itself isn’t) so what’s being speculated here is that maybe NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION is getting this censored version of the game because Nintendo wouldn’t want to link the uncensored version and would want to keep it in the ESRB’S standardsView attachment 307169
It’s only being censored in Japan like every heavily violent M-Rated game in Japan. Z-Rated games are basically a death sentence over there so a lot of games with heavily gruesome imagery are given a D-Edition and a Z-Edition. Take Resident Evil for example.
I’d say it’s interesting that only the Switch version is listed but then again console gaming is basically dead in Japan as well so no surprise there either. I don’t think this effects things one way or the other but it is an interesting find.

But no, it’s releasing M-Rated in the west meaning the likelihood of the Japanese censoring meaning anything towards Smash is pretty low. Nonetheless it is very interesting to divulge in.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So very interesting theory, it seems as though the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION is getting a censored version exclusively for Nintendo Switch which has lead some to theorize that it could be related to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website when you click on the DLC characters it will have a link to their games such as a link to FATAL FURY or MINECRAFT, Joker and Banjo & Kazooie are excluded from this because PERSONA 5 and Banjo-Kazooie are not on the Nintendo Switch (yes PERSONA 5 STRIKERS is on Nintendo Switch but PERSONA 5 itself isn’t) so what’s being speculated here is that maybe NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION is getting this censored version of the game because Nintendo wouldn’t want to link the uncensored version and would want to keep it in the ESRB’S standards, once again what’s interesting is that this censored version is being made exclusively for the Nintendo Switch version View attachment 307169
I doubt they would link to the Master Collection. The links that the DLC characters have usually feature their first appearances so chances are, they might put a link to the Ninja Gaiden arcade game instead.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
It’s only being censored in Japan like every heavily violent M-Rated game in Japan. Z-Rated games are basically a death sentence over there so a lot of games with heavily gruesome imagery are given a D-Edition and a Z-Edition. Take Resident Evil for example.
I’d say it’s interesting that only the Switch version is listed but then again console gaming is basically dead in Japan as well so no surprise there either. I don’t think this effects things one way or the other but it is an interesting find.

But no, it’s releasing M-Rated in the west meaning the likelihood of the Japanese censoring meaning anything towards Smash is pretty low. Nonetheless it is very interesting to divulge in.
Oh I was not aware of this my bad

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, even No More Heroes was censored for its initial run in Japan. More recently, Travis Strikes Again had some initially-planned scenes edited down to be less violent before the game got released on the Switch.

This stuff isn't really new. :079:

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
A friend chiming in his opinion, I still think it’s nothing now but hey that’s what he thinks
2DD43070-B6FD-4C1E-8BE5-3D26A1B547CE.jpeg

Also this post, does summarize Hayabusa’s evidence pretty well
C48E50D5-1E46-4998-B2D3-1FE6A741574C.jpeg

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Also while I don’t approve of the tone and language used in this post, it does summarize Hayabusa’s evidence pretty well
You're gonna either have to remove that image or censor it yourself since there are uncensored words in it that aren't allowed here.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
He can just pull a Cloud and have four ALTs for the classic costume and four ALTs for the modern costume.
I meant for his default alt. But of course that does seem like the most logical and probable way of having his alt system nevertheless.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So on the Crash Bandicoot forum I've mentioned how I think Crash and Ryu Hayabusa would be a great way to end to Smash Ultimate's DLC, and I may have even predicted them being the endgame somewhere on here. But... I'm not gonna lie, while Hayabusa still has a great shot, especially after learning how the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is getting a censored Switch-only version rated CERO D in Japan, as well as the CERO Z rated one (why do that if Nintendo wasn't going to advertise the less-serious one for Hayabusa's Smash page? Yep I'm fully onboard this theory 👍), I've started to become more iffy on Crash's chances.

There isn't really a lot of evidence for his chances besides the 5-Year Crash Plan from Activision, which might be real since they actually acknowledged a comment referring to it when Crash On The Run came out, but we STILL don't what the actually contents of the 5-Year Plan are. People have been saying that Crash for Smash was on it, but there hasn't been any real proof of that. I just don't think the leaks or theories surrounding Crash are as solid as they are with Hayabusa, and not only that, but it's possible that Nintendo and Activision didn't negotiate for him on time, whether due to people wanting Crash for Smash came too late (they only just started asking for him in the past few years to be precise), or because of the virus messing up probable plans.

Finally, and I know I'm going back on something I said over a week ago, but I've kind of changed my mind on Lloyd Irving's Mii costume coming back with Hayabusa or as part of Mii Costume Wave 10. Yeah, a lot of people are thinking that Lloyd is likely coming now due to his costume being the only one missing, and maybe that would be too obvious if he IS getting upgraded to playable fighter. But... maybe that doesn't matter in the end? A lot of people DO want Lloyd, and despite the surprise being gone if he does come, maybe that's okay. Bandai Namco honestly does deserve a 2nd character at this point considering the amount of work they've helped put into Ultimate. And considering how I also believe Koei Tecmo deserves a character in Smash due to their working relationship with Nintendo, this could be a good way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

So in conclusion. I know these are mostly just theories, and I know I'm going against one of my all-time favorite game characters' chances, but I think I'm gonna go with Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd Irving as Smash Ultimate's final 2 DLC characters! At this point the roster's already perfect, so I feel like I've got nothing to lose even if I'm wrong. 😊

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So on the Crash Bandicoot forum I've mentioned how I think Crash and Ryu Hayabusa would be a great way to end to Smash Ultimate's DLC, and I may have even predicted them being the endgame somewhere on here. But... I'm not gonna lie, while Hayabusa still has a great shot, especially after learning how the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is getting a censored Switch-only version rated CERO D in Japan, as well as the CERO Z rated one (why do that if Nintendo wasn't going to advertise the less-serious one for Hayabusa's Smash page? Yep I'm fully onboard this theory 👍), I've started to become more iffy on Crash's chances.

There isn't really a lot of evidence for his chances besides the 5-Year Crash Plan from Activision, which might be real since they actually acknowledged a comment referring to it when Crash On The Run came out, but we STILL don't what the actually contents of the 5-Year Plan are. People have been saying that Crash for Smash was on it, but there hasn't been any real proof of that. I just don't think the leaks or theories surrounding Crash are as solid as they are with Hayabusa, and not only that, but it's possible that Nintendo and Activision didn't negotiate for him on time, whether due to people wanting Crash for Smash still being relatively new (just in the past few years to be precise), or because of the virus messing up probable plans.

Finally, and I know I'm going back on something I said over a week ago, but I've kind of changed my mind on Lloyd Irving's Mii costume coming back with Hayabusa or as part of Mii Costume Wave 10. Yeah, a lot of people are thinking that Lloyd is likely coming now due to his costume being the only one missing, and maybe that would be too obvious if he IS getting upgraded to playable fighter. But... maybe that doesn't matter in the end? A lot of people DO want Lloyd, and despite the surprise being gone if he does come, maybe that's okay. Bandai Namco honestly does deserve a 2nd character at this point considering the amount of work they've helped put into Ultimate. And considering how I also believe Koei Tecmo deserves a character in Smash due to their working relationship with Nintendo, this could be a good way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

So in conclusion. I know these are mostly just theories, and I know I'm going against one of my all-time favorite game characters' chances, but I think I'm gonna go with Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd Irving as Smash Ultimate's final 2 DLC characters! At this point the roster's already perfect, so I feel like I've got nothing to lose even if I'm wrong. 😊
Personally I never thought Crash Bandicoot was likely, it’s possible but I feel as though Nintendo wouldn’t actively talk about Crash Bandicoot (the tweet that they did with Activision, I know it’s not a good reason but still), I don’t really believe the 5 year Plan for Crash Bandicoot, and also I feel as though Activision might be stingy when it comes to this sort of thing, don’t get me wrong I love Crash Bandicoot but I just never really saw it happening and I could still very well be wrong and he could show up, but I’m not 100% counting on it as much as I want it

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Personally I never thought Crash Bandicoot was likely, it’s possible but I feel as though Nintendo wouldn’t actively talk about Crash Bandicoot (the tweet that they did with Activision, I know it’s not a good reason but still), I don’t really believe the 5 year Plan for Crash Bandicoot, and also I feel as though Activision might be stingy when it comes to this sort of thing, don’t get me wrong I love Crash Bandicoot but I just never really saw it happening and I could still very well be wrong and he could show up, but I’m not 100% counting on it as much as I want it
I feel like negotiating for Hayabusa and Lloyd woud've been a whole lot easier too. Sakurai seems to prefer talking with Japanese third-party companies when it comes to Smash. But I'm SO glad that he at least talked successfully with Microsoft about Banjo & Kazooie, so at the very least if Crash doesn't wind up coming, then I can proudly say I got one of my most favorite western video game characters from my childhood 😊

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I feel like negotiating for Hayabusa and Lloyd woud've been a whole lot easier too. Sakurai seems to prefer talking with Japanese third-party companies when it comes to Smash. But I'm SO glad that he at least talked successfully with Microsoft about Banjo & Kazooie, so at the very least if Crash doesn't wind up coming, then I can proudly say I got one of, if not my most favorite, western video game character from my childhood 😊
YES!
43F8A3EB-62BD-42D8-8912-2A9BEA7D0A7B.jpeg

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Expecting Lloyd isn't unreasonable but I personally just think that boy is tempting fate too much for it to not crash and topple over him. I'm exercising caution on him, he's gotta show up in the flesh before I'll be swayed on him not returning as a mii costume packaged with our ninja boy here.

There is margin for error on Crash, absolutely, but Lloyd has about as much going for him as Geno did and that's not good precedent.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I still wouldn't rule Crash out as a potential E3 reveal. Ryu and Crash could be revealed together still for all we know

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
But... I'm not gonna lie, while Hayabusa still has a great shot, especially after learning how the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is getting a censored Switch-only version rated CERO D in Japan, as well as the CERO Z rated one (why do that if Nintendo wasn't going to advertise the less-serious one for Hayabusa's Smash page? Yep I'm fully onboard this theory 👍)
It's an interesting theory but I don't know. Like I said, they could put a link to the Ninja Gaiden arcade game, since every character has a page that links to their first appearance (if it's on the Nintendo site that is).

But then again, that could be a different case for Hayabusa. Some characters have links to older games because they don't have any newer ones on the Switch (such as Terry and Sephiroth) and there are others who debuted in recent games that are on the Switch (such as Hero and Min Min). Hayabusa's both his debut game and a collection coming out, something I don't think any of the other characters have. So...maybe they could put a link to the Master Collection site? I don't know for sure but either way is possible.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's an interesting theory but I don't know. Like I said, they could put a link to the Ninja Gaiden arcade game, since every character has a page that links to their first appearance (if it's on the Nintendo site that is).

But then again, that could be a different case for Hayabusa. Some characters have links to older games because they don't have any newer ones on the Switch (such as Terry and Sephiroth) and there are others who debuted in recent games that are on the Switch (such as Hero and Min Min). Hayabusa's both his debut game and a collection coming out, something I don't think any of the other characters have. So...maybe they could put a link to the Master Collection site? I don't know for sure but either way is possible.
I was talking about the Japanese Smash site getting the link to the CERO D version of the Master Collection. The English site shouldn't have any issues with the advertisement since MC will likely get an M rating, as opposed to what I consider the ESRB version of CERO Z, AO. Though I guess if they do go with the classic outfit as Ryu's default costume, then there wouldn't be any problems with advertising the old games on the site like they did with Terry and Sephiroth.

But I still think the modern outfit is gonna be the default costume if Ryu gets in.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was talking about the Japanese Smash site getting the link to the CERO D version of the Master Collection. The English site shouldn't have any issues with the advertisement since MC will likely get an M rating, as opposed to what I consider the ESRB version of CERO Z, AO. Though I guess if they do go with the classic outfit as Ryu's default costume, then there wouldn't be any problems with advertising the old games on the site like they did with Terry and Sephiroth.

But I still think the modern outfit is gonna be the default costume if Ryu gets in.
Not to mention that the first game of the NES trilogy is on the NSO service. They've got plenty to link to

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

I think the modern outfit would be his default costume too and even if it is, they could still link his page to the arcade or NES game page.

I'm not really that familiar with the Japanese rating so I don't know about that part.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I think is interesting about the NINJA GAIDEN MASTER COLLECTION having a CERO D and CERO Z version is that these two versions are exclusively for the Nintendo Switch and not for PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series X as those two will only have the rated Z version, which I find interesting that those two won’t have a censored version, but other than that I don’t think that the CERO versions really mean much in terms of speculation.
Also I actually forgot about this lol, when the Smash DLC was decided Imran interviewed the higher ups at Koei Tecmo and when asked about Smash Bros, they immediately dodged the question, I totally forgot about this, given how long negotiations take, it makes me wonder what could still happen, also I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t act to dodgy if it wasn’t for a character, it could’ve also been for Byleth but I doubt that
444B8529-AE41-4F1C-86C2-467DF58B5518.jpeg

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
The only thing I think is interesting about the NINJA GAIDEN MASTER COLLECTION having a CERO D and CERO Z version is that these two versions are exclusively for the Nintendo Switch and not for PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series X as those two will only have the rated Z version, which I find interesting that those two won’t have a censored version, but other than that I don’t think that the CERO versions really mean much in terms of speculation.
Also I actually forgot about this lol, when the Smash DLC was decided Imran interviewed the higher ups at Koei Tecmo and when asked about Smash Bros, they immediately dodged the question, I totally forgot about this, given how long negotiations take, it makes me wonder what could still happen, also I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t act to dodgy if it wasn’t for a character, it could’ve also been for Byleth but I doubt that
View attachment 307519
Nintendo wouldn't have needed to talk to Koei Tecmo about Byleth though, even if they did help make Fire Emblem 3 Houses, as he comes from a first-party series that Nintendo fully owns. Whereas Nintendo likely would have to talk to them about any Warriors content since Koei Tecmo is the primary developer for those games, and likely owns any characters they created specifically for those games.

Also, Christie would be an... interesting choice to say the least XD Though a few years ago Shimbori said something about him wanting Kasumi for Smash. Can't blame him there 😍

Expecting Lloyd isn't unreasonable but I personally just think that boy is tempting fate too much for it to not crash and topple over him. I'm exercising caution on him, he's gotta show up in the flesh before I'll be swayed on him not returning as a mii costume packaged with our ninja boy here.

There is margin for error on Crash, absolutely, but Lloyd has about as much going for him as Geno did and that's not good precedent.
Honestly, if Lloyd's Mii costume does come bundled with Ryu Hayabusa (since they're both kitana users), then I would consider that a win too. While I am predicting them both as the final characters, it's still not a guarantee Lloyd will be upgraded to a fighter just because he's the only Smash 4 Mii costume missing now.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo wouldn't have needed to talk to Koei Tecmo about Byleth though, even if they did help make Fire Emblem 3 Houses, as he comes from a first-party series that Nintendo fully owns. Whereas Nintendo likely would have to talk to them about any Warriors content since Koei Tecmo is the primary developer for those games, and likely owns any characters they created specifically for those games.

Also, Christie would be an... interesting choice to say the least XD Though a few years ago Shimbori said something about him wanting Kasumi for Smash. Can't blame him there 😍

Honestly, if Lloyd's Mii costume does come bundled with Ryu Hayabusa (both kitana users), then I would consider that a win too. While I am predicting them both as the final characters, it's still not a guarantee Lloyd will be upgraded to a fighter just because he's the only Smash 4 Mii costume missing now.
I personally think Lloyd Irving is a Mii Costume and the fact that he has a Sword at least makes me feel that it’s possible one of the remaining 2 unannounced fighters uses a sword and the one that comes to mind for me at least that has been talked about all the way back since 2018 near Smash’s launch is Ryu Hayabusa as Lloyd’s Mii Costume being bundled with Ryu Hayabusa makes so much sense but I think the one thing that is being underestimated about Ryu Hayabusa’s chances that I don’t see talked about a lot is the fact that it’s pretty much 100% confirmed that Vergeben was right about Nintendo and KOEI TECMO having discussed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and given their partnership is similar to companies like ATLUS, Square Enix, and Microsoft, it’s very likely that something more then 2 spirit events came out of those discussions (I’m not saying that that’s the case but it’s definitely possible more is coming). This is why I count out (and not in a disrespectful way) companies like Digital Extremes, Level-5, NiS America, NATSUME, and others who are close to Nintendo but not insanely close. I also count out companies who ARE insanely close to Nintendo but got stuff that kinda counts them out, like UBISOFT, CAPCOM, Grasshopper Manufacture, Bandai Namco Entertainment, and more. I count them out mostly because of Mii Costumes as I feel as though costumes like Heihachi Mishima and Gil would come with a Bandai Namco rep, they don’t have to necessarily, but I feel as though they would. That’s why when it comes to other third parties the only two I can really think of are KOEI TECMO and ARC SYSTEMS WORKS, but I’m counting out ARC SYSTEMS WORKS for two reasons:
1.) They kinda fall under the “have a good relationship with Nintendo but not like an Insane relationship”
2.) ARC SYSTEMS WORKS had a spirit event that was solely THEIR OWN IP meaning discussions did happen between Nintendo and ARC SYSTEMS WORKS about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but that’s what resulted in them (yes Square Enix had Spirit Events based off their own IP but they are an exception as once again they have an insanely close relationship with Nintendo)
So at the end of the day, that just leaves KOEI TECMO who has gotten 2 spirit events just like Square Enix that’s NOT their own IP’s so that’s definitely something to consider. Is it possible that’s all we’ll see from KOEI TECMO? I’m not going to lie or sugarcoat it, yes it is possible that that’s all we’ll see from them, but I have a feeling that there could definitely be more down the road, especially with the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION releasing because let’s be honest, the timing of the collection and Smash is WAY to on point to be a coincidence
87273A0C-B1B1-4ED7-AE39-6FE19E248B7A.jpeg

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That’s why when it comes to other third parties the only two I can really think of are KOEI TECMO and ARC SYSTEMS WORKS, but I’m counting out ARC SYSTEMS WORKS for two reasons:
1.) They kinda fall under the “have a good relationship with Nintendo but not like an Insane relationship”
2.) ARC SYSTEMS WORKS had a spirit event that was solely THEIR OWN IP meaning discussions did happen between Nintendo and ARC SYSTEMS WORKS about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate but that’s what resulted in them (yes Square Enix had Spirit Events based off their own IP but they are an exception as once again they have an insanely close relationship with Nintendo)
So at the end of the day, that just leaves KOEI TECMO who has gotten 2 spirit events just like Square Enix that’s NOT their own IP’s so that’s definitely something to consider. Is it possible that’s all we’ll see from KOEI TECMO? I’m not going to lie or sugarcoat it, yes it is possible that that’s all we’ll see from them, but I have a feeling that there could definitely be more down the road, especially with the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION releasing because let’s be honest, the timing of the collection and Smash is WAY to on point to be a coincidenceView attachment 307530
Plus, it's also worth pointing out that Square Enix already had characters in the roster before they had spirit events, so any character from that company is always safe, as oppose to companies that only have spirits and that's it.

Really is too bad. I would have loved to see Billy and Jimmy Lee make it in along with Hayabusa. Loved and played the heck out of both the Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden games on the NES. They still hold up pretty well these days too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plus, it's also worth pointing out that Square-Enix already had characters in the roster before they had spirit events, so any character from that company is always safe, as oppose to companies that only have spirits and that's it.

Really is too bad. I would have loved to see Billy and Jimmy Lee make it in along with Hayabusa. Loved and played the heck out of both the Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden games on the NES. They still hold up pretty well these days too.
At least ArcSys got something (and Double Dragon Neon got released on the Switch, so that'll help). Level-5 is increasingly looking like it won't get anything at all due to how long it takes for them to do things in general these last few years, never mind negotiating with them for minor Smash content.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Plus, it's also worth pointing out that Square-Enix already had characters in the roster before they had spirit events, so any character from that company is always safe, as oppose to companies that only have spirits and that's it.

Really is too bad. I would have loved to see Billy and Jimmy Lee make it in along with Hayabusa. Loved and played the heck out of both the Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden games on the NES back in those days. They still hold up pretty well these days too.
Oh yeah, that is another point I forgot, the fact that Square Enix already has playable content in the game, Also yeah it kinda sucks that Double Dragon won’t be represented in Smash, but hey at least we do have ARC SYSTEMS WORKS most famous NES IP RIVER CITY: RANSOM in Smash, albeit as spirits but I think that’s pretty cool! I personally look at Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s crossover beyond just the playable fighters, I also view the Assist Trophies, Spirits, and Mii Costumes as well and those alone have also bought so many beloved franchises under one roof, I mean it’s unbelievable to think of all the people at this party, RIVER CITY: RANSOM, FATAL FRAME, Trials of Mana, Shantae, SHOVEL KNIGHT, Rayman, FALLOUT, CUPHEAD, RESIDENT EVIL, hell even fricken WARFRAME is in here!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, that is another point I forgot, the fact that Square Enix already has playable content in the game, Also yeah it kinda sucks that Double Dragon won’t be represented in Smash, but hey at least we do have ARC SYSTEMS WORKS most famous NES IP RIVER CITY: RANSOM in Smash, albeit as spirits but I think that’s pretty cool! I personally look at Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s crossover beyond just the playable fighters, I also view the Assist Trophies, Spirits, and Mii Costumes as well and those alone have also bought so many beloved franchises under one roof, I mean it’s unbelievable to think of all the people at this party, RIVER CITY: RANSOM, FATAL FRAME, Trials of Mana, Shantae, SHOVEL KNIGHT, Rayman, FALLOUT, CUPHEAD, RESIDENT EVIL, hell even fricken WARFRAME is in here!
Well...not sure about it being the most famous but River City is definitely a major franchise that, with it's long history on Nintendo consoles, should be represented in Smash somehow, so I'm glad about that. Plus, I was surprised but also really happy to see that it came with Ryuichi and Ryuji as spirits, because that's really a Double Dragon reference in Smash. And yeah, I also look at things beyond characters. Sometimes, it's awesome that they made an appearance in this game at all, just like with the trophies in the previous games. It's fun just to look at them and see the name of the games or series that they come from.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Lol Same, Ryu Hayabusa Vs Simon Belmont would be so cool, my only fear for Ryu Hayabusa is the timing of reveals, I still don’t know if Hayabusa would show up at E3 or not I think that’s the one thing that still gets me

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I personally think Lloyd Irving is a Mii Costume and the fact that he has a Sword at least makes me feel that it’s possible one of the remaining 2 unannounced fighters uses a sword and the one that comes to mind for me at least that has been talked about all the way back since 2018 near Smash’s launch is Ryu Hayabusa as Lloyd’s Mii Costume being bundled with Ryu Hayabusa makes so much sense but I think the one thing that is being underestimated about Ryu Hayabusa’s chances that I don’t see talked about a lot is the fact that it’s pretty much 100% confirmed that Vergeben was right about Nintendo and KOEI TECMO having discussed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and given their partnership is similar to companies like ATLUS, Square Enix, and Microsoft, it’s very likely that something more then 2 spirit events came out of those discussions (I’m not saying that that’s the case but it’s definitely possible more is coming). This is why I count out (and not in a disrespectful way) companies like Digital Extremes, Level-5, NiS America, NATSUME, and others who are close to Nintendo but not insanely close. I also count out companies who ARE insanely close to Nintendo but got stuff that kinda counts them out, like UBISOFT, CAPCOM, Grasshopper Manufacture, Bandai Namco Entertainment, and more. I count them out mostly because of Mii Costumes as I feel as though costumes like Heihachi Mishima and Gil would come with a Bandai Namco rep, they don’t have to necessarily, but I feel as though they would. That’s why when it comes to other third parties the only two I can really think of are KOEI TECMO and ARC SYSTEMS WORKS, but I’m counting out ARC SYSTEMS WORKS for two reasons:
So at the end of the day, that just leaves KOEI TECMO who has gotten 2 spirit events just like Square Enix that’s NOT their own IP’s so that’s definitely something to consider. Is it possible that’s all we’ll see from KOEI TECMO? I’m not going to lie or sugarcoat it, yes it is possible that that’s all we’ll see from them, but I have a feeling that there could definitely be more down the road, especially with the NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION releasing because let’s be honest, the timing of the collection and Smash is WAY to on point to be a coincidenceView attachment 307530
I'm pretty much on board with everything you've said, except for one thing. I would argue that Guilty Gear is more famous than River City Ransom as far as Arc System Works franchises go. Blazblue is also pretty popular despite being rather niche.

Btw, Ragna the Bloodedge from Blazblue would be my Number One pick for an ArcSys rep for Smash! If for no other reason than the music! 👍

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
You know I just realized something, the first general Nintendo Direct that took a year and half that we just had after so long had NINJA GAIDEN in it, my point is it’s nice that the first Direct after so long had that in there, I think it’s cool 😊 (and I’m a little embarrassed that I JUST realized this)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
No worries. lol

Does anybody know the name of that theme that plays in the Master Collection trailer?

Top Bottom