• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think Hayabusa could be revealed at E3? My friends say they don’t think he could and I think that Nintendo will attend E3 this year, if it’s just a June Smash presentation similar to Min Min then I could see but I also don’t think E3 is an issue in terms of Hayabusa being their, in a way Nintendo would give KOEI TECMO the greatest honor of revealing him there if that was their plan

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So do you guys think Hayabusa could be revealed at E3? My friends say they don’t think he could and I think that Nintendo will attend E3 this year, if it’s just a June Smash presentation similar to Min Min then I could see but I also don’t think E3 is an issue in terms of Hayabusa being their, in a way Nintendo would give KOEI TECMO the greatest honor of revealing him there if that was their plan
It's a possibility. Given he has dual swords like Lloyd. The Lloyd Mii could come with him.

More so he's part of a double reveal with Crash.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I personally think that an E3 double reveal is the most likely. Hayabusa could hold his own as an E3 reveal, but pairing him with someone like Crash would be ideal.

A lot of people seem to believe that Hayabusa wouldn’t be an adequate E3 showstopper. I honestly think that Ninja Gaiden’s legacy is held with enough respect to where his reveal would be incredibly well received. Castlevania doesn’t have the same draw that it used to, but Simon and Richter’s reveal was met with pretty universal praise. Legacy characters are almost always well received, while the “new hotness” is more likely to be met with controversy. Also, and this is subjective, but Hayabusa just has that coolness factor. Like, even those who don’t really who he is will be like “damn this character is awesome.” The fact that “ninjas are cool” is one of the things that helped Ninja Gaiden stand out back in the day and I think it would help Hayabusa stand out in Smash as well.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I personally think that an E3 double reveal is the most likely. Hayabusa could hold his own as an E3 reveal, but pairing him with someone like Crash would be ideal.

A lot of people seem to believe that Hayabusa wouldn’t be an adequate E3 showstopper. I honestly think that Ninja Gaiden’s legacy is held with enough respect to where his reveal would be incredibly well received. Castlevania doesn’t have the same draw that it used to, but Simon and Richter’s reveal was met with pretty universal praise. Legacy characters are almost always well received, while the “new hotness” is more likely to be met with controversy. Also, and this is subjective, but Hayabusa just has that coolness factor. Like, even those who don’t really who he is will be like “damn this character is awesome.” The fact that “ninjas are cool” is one of the things that helped Ninja Gaiden stand out back in the day and I think it would help Hayabusa stand out in Smash as well.
I mean hell Palutena was an E3 reveal was she not?

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I'm curious, what's with all this talk about Crash lately?
Some people think he’s likely or maybe even a lock for E3 while others disagree. I for one think he’s somewhat likely but boy do I hope he’s NOT one of the two upcoming DLC slots.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Some people think he’s likely or maybe even a lock for E3 while others disagree. I for one think he’s somewhat likely but boy do I hope he’s NOT one of the two upcoming DLC slots.
To be honest, I'd be 100% for him if not for the inevitable "Crash is in this game but not in PlayStation All-Stars". I get so sick and tired of hearing things like that. I had to go through that with Cloud, I sure don't want to go through this again with Crash or any character more associated with PlayStation.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I still think it’s a good sign that we are getting KOEI TECMO spirits this far into the DLC, yes they are technically Nintendo/SEGA/ATLUS characters but KOEI TECMO does need to be consulted due to them working on those games so once again it’s nice to see them this far in and hey who knows maybe this could lead to something good? We did have Two Square Enix spirit events and then had Sephiroth join the battle so anything could happen
18DE42A0-6D6B-4D02-95E7-AC449AD0C094.jpeg
CBAA0A02-64A9-49E2-A67F-5434CA6171C1.jpeg

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I still think it’s a good sign that we are getting KOEI TECMO spirits this far into the DLC, yes they are technically Nintendo/SEGA/ATLUS characters but KOEI TECMO does need to be consulted due to them working on those games so once again it’s nice to see them this far in and hey who knows maybe this could lead to something good? We did have Two Square Enix spirit events and then had Sephiroth join the battle so anything could happenView attachment 306836View attachment 306837
Yeah, I do find these Koei Tecmo spirits pretty sus'. It's one thing to promote Age of Calamity but it's something else altogether to do Persona 5 Strikers unless of course they're just The Legend of Zelda and Persona 5 promotion respectively.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Yeah, I do find these Koei Tecmo spirits pretty sus'. It's one thing to promote Age of Calamity but it's something else altogether to do Persona 5 Strikers unless of course they're just The Legend of Zelda and Persona 5 promotion respectively.
The extra P5 promotion is interesting. Persona Q2 (a 3DS exclusive) and other P5 spin offs were ignored for Smash Ultimate, while Strikers got it’s own special cross promotion. It’s probably just one of many indications that Koei Tecmo works great with Nintendo, and the fact that it's a Switch game makes it convenient to promote, but like you said, it is pretty sus.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been playing a lot of NINJA GAIDEN on the Nintendo Switch Online and I’ve got to tell you guys that Hayabusa would be so cool in Smash. So I was looking around and thought it would be fun to speculate around these comments here by Vergeben back around the “Who the hell is Challenger Pack 5?” Days, so I do feel as though that that was what was happening when the internet was going through the whole Hayabusa is Challenger Pack 5 when it seems as though the discussions themselves are what leaked so I have an interesting theory and this ties to what’s recently been happening in Smash, specifically the two KOEI TECMO spirit events. The post in question says that the discussions for Hayabusa were what leaked leading him to be assumed to be coming to Smash as Fighter 5 when that was never the case it was most likely discussions for him to join the next wave of DLC especially given the timing because as we all know KOEI TECMO had a hand in Byleth’s trailer since they worked on Fire Emblem: Three Houses and it’s possible that since people at that time heard Hayabusa himself while they were working on Byleth it’s possible (and purely speculative) that Nintendo and KOEI TECMO could’ve also been talking about all of this stuff Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Spirits, Persona 5 Strikers Spirit, and maybe Hayabusa in Smash which suggests why his name came up. We also have the second post where after Steve’s reveal he did reconfirm that Nintendo and KOEI TECMO 100% discussed Smash Ultimate and now months later these events could be building up to what was rumored long ago with Ryu Hayabusa joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in a very similar vein Steve from MINECRAFT joined. I also think (and I know people will disagree with me) that the Lloyd Irving Mii is the Mii Costume that’s specifically missing here and if the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume was to be paired up with anyone I think Ryu Hayabusa would be the best fit (also fun fact Lloyd Irving at one part of the series canonically wears a Ninja like outfit in his home series and he looks really cool in it and I just wanted to point that out) Lloyd can come with ANYONE else that’s true but given that Mii Patterns do happen, especially the Bandai Namco ones, I at least definitely think Ryu Hayabusa as a fighter coming with a Lloyd Mii Costume makes sense, also the release of NINJA GAIDEN: MASTER COLLECTION also fits as a cross promotion opportunity as well kinda like Hero with DRAGON QUEST XI S: ECHOES OF AN ELUSIVE AGE DEFINITVE EDITION
B3D0444D-DC06-40FB-A14B-8599E6A8504B.jpeg

Also here is one that also came true after months of waiting:
EC6485D9-1983-45A3-9DD0-91DC63B3728F.png
And here is his latest with saying stay tuned after Steve’s reveal:
0A5AD1AB-4988-4F38-848F-26DC81BE5673.jpeg

So basically my point is what if all of these talks and rumors could be leading up to our boy? I know that with Smash it’s never a guarantee but as you all know me by now you should know that I like to look at the speculative glass from all angles and I personally think that when it comes to Smash Info, Vergeben is up there since he got base game and some of the DLC (even if the order was wrong)

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Does Koei Tecmo content tease Ryu Hayabusa? Some distinct companies represented by a first fighter were initially represented by other contents. Atlus, SNK and Mojang are the 3 distinct companies that weren't teased in Ultimate. If Hayabusa comes, he would become the character who would be the most teased from a company represented by a first fighter.

BrawlSm4shSm4sh DLCUltimateFP1FP2
Obscure teasing
(2/16)
:ultmegaman: was teased in Brawl by:
• TLoZ: The Minish Cap as stickers.
:ultcloud: was teased by:
• Mario Hoops 3-on-3 as a sticker (Brawl).
Explicit teasing
(3/16)
:ultpacman: was teased in Brawl by:
• Donkey Konga content,
• Mario Superstar Baseball as stickers,
• Star Fox: Assault content.
:ultbayonetta: was teased by:
• The Wonderful 101 as musics (Sm4sh).
:ultbanjokazooie: was teased by:
• Donkey Kong universe content,
• GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark as items,
• Star Fox universe content.
Hayabusa would be teased by:
• Fatal Frame as an assist trophy and spirits,
• Fire Emblem: Three Houses content,
• Hyrule Warriors as spirits,
• Metroid: Other M content,
• Persona 5 Strikers as a spirit.
Without teasing
(4,5/16)
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultsteve: (Mojang)
From same companies
(6,5/16)
:ultryu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken::ulthero:
Chunsoft only was teased in Sm4sh by:
• Fossil Fighters: Frontier as trophies then music in Ultimate,
• the Mii game Warrior's Way as trophies,
• the Chunsoft Chocobo hat design.
:ultsephiroth:
:ultsteve: (Microsoft)

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I don’t remember if anyone pointed this out, but Nioh 2 released a free update last month with a Ryu Hayabusa skin to celebrate the announcement of Master Collection.
8BC6C52F-CBC4-4B1E-8963-59007D5A6643.jpeg

If you’re looking for something to hold you over until Master Collection comes out, then you can always play one of the best Koei Tecmo games out there with a full Hayabusa get up. If you didn’t already have enough reasons to play Nioh 2, now is the time.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I don’t remember if anyone pointed this out, but Nioh 2 released a free update last month with a Ryu Hayabusa skin to celebrate the announcement of Master Collection.
View attachment 306979
If you’re looking for something to hold you over until Master Collection comes out, then you can always play one of the best Koei Tecmo games out there with a full Hayabusa get up. If you didn’t already have enough reasons to play Nioh 2, now is the time.
Interesting that they went with the classic outfit instead of the modern one. Makes me a bit hopeful that Sakurai might do the same.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Does Koei Tecmo content tease Ryu Hayabusa? Some distinct companies represented by a first fighter were initially represented by other contents. Atlus, SNK and Mojang are the 3 distinct companies that weren't teased in Ultimate. If Hayabusa comes, he would become the character who would be the most teased from a company represented by a first fighter.

BrawlSm4shSm4sh DLCUltimateFP1FP2
Obscure teasing
(2/16)
:ultmegaman: was teased in Brawl by:
• TLoZ: The Minish Cap as stickers.
:ultcloud: was teased by:
• Mario Hoops 3-on-3 as a sticker (Brawl).
Explicit teasing
(3/16)
:ultpacman: was teased in Brawl by:
• Donkey Konga content,
• Mario Superstar Baseball as stickers,
• Star Fox: Assault content.
:ultbayonetta: was teased by:
• The Wonderful 101 as musics (Sm4sh).
:ultbanjokazooie: was teased by:
• Donkey Kong universe content,
• GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark as items,
• Star Fox universe content.
Hayabusa would be teased by:
• Fatal Frame as an assist trophy and spirits,
• Fire Emblem: Three Houses content,
• Hyrule Warriors as spirits,
• Metroid: Other M content,
• Persona 5 Strikers as a spirit.
Without teasing
(4,5/16)
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultjoker::ult_terry::ultsteve: (Mojang)
From same companies
(6,5/16)
:ultryu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken::ulthero:
Chunsoft only was teased in Sm4sh by:
• Fossil Fighters: Frontier as trophies then music in Ultimate,
• the Mii game Warrior's Way as trophies,
• the Chunsoft Chocobo hat design.
:ultsephiroth:
:ultsteve: (Microsoft)

I wouldn't look at all these as teases. From the looks of it, Sakurai doesn't really tease characters for Smash. In fact, the characters that are revealed are usually by complete surprise, with no hint or anything that points to them being in the game. Even in this list, the content from these companies are all from series that are owned by Nintendo.

The good thing, however, is that there's nothing in Smash that's completely owned by Koei Tecmo, which does mean that Hayabusa has a chance. Companies like Arc Systems Work, Ubisoft, and Zenimax all have content in the game from series that they owned but unfortunately not in the form of any playable characters, which means that they probably won't have any in this game. Since this doesn't apply to Koei Tecmo, this means he definitely has more of a chance than characters from those other companies.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't look at all these as teases. From the looks of it, Sakurai doesn't really tease characters for Smash. In fact, the characters that are revealed are usually by complete surprise, with no hint or anything that points to them being in the game. Even in this list, the content from these companies are all from series that are owned by Nintendo.

The good thing, however, is that there's nothing in Smash that's completely owned by Koei Tecmo, which does mean that Hayabusa has a chance. Companies like Arc Systems Work, Ubisoft, and Zenimax all have content in the game from series that they owned but unfortunately not in the form of any playable characters, which means that they probably won't have any in this game. Since this doesn't apply to Koei Tecmo, this means he definitely has more of a chance than characters from those other companies.
I never really thought about that, even Yuri Kozukata herself is partially owned by Nintendo despite her looking like a KOEI TECMO character, so she’s basically the Geno of Nintendo and KOEI TECMO because of FATAL FRAME being co owned by both Nintendo and KOEI TECMO, so yeah that’s definitely a good sign!
3504D6B2-73A9-4178-84A6-E8B690433A6E.jpeg

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I sure hope so. Though half classic, half modern would be ideal.
Absolutely! I personally just want the classic NES outfit as the default cuz of the amiibo.

I never really thought about that, even Yuri Kozukata herself is partially owned by Nintendo despite her looking like a KOEI TECMO character, so she’s basically the Geno of Nintendo and KOEI TECMO because of FATAL FRAME being co owned by both Nintendo and KOEI TECMO, so yeah that’s definitely a good sign!View attachment 306989
Not really, Geno is fully owned by Square as far as I’m aware.

Ornl

Smash Ace

Here, all the "teasers" are obviously unintentional.
However, in the case of Koei Tecmo, we receive KT content on a recurring basis, and Persona 5 Strikers isn't owned by Nintendo.
If Hayabusa comes, I think he would be the first concretely teased fighter and that would mean Nintendo would have played with us.
If Hayausa doesn't come, then Nintendo would have simply valorized collaborative works and Persona 5.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Interesting that they went with the classic outfit instead of the modern one. Makes me a bit hopeful that Sakurai might do the same.
I feel pretty confident it’ll be like reverse Cloud where his modern outfit will be 1, 3, 5, and 7 and his classic being 2, 4, 6, and 8.

Though my biggest wish is for them to just fill the entirety of his alts with his many different costumes.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I never really thought about that, even Yuri Kozukata herself is partially owned by Nintendo despite her looking like a KOEI TECMO character, so she’s basically the Geno of Nintendo and KOEI TECMO because of FATAL FRAME being co owned by both Nintendo and KOEI TECMO, so yeah that’s definitely a good sign!View attachment 306989
Yeah, even though Fatal Frame was created by Koei Tecmo, the fact that it's co-owned by Nintendo means that it could also be seen as no different from any other Nintendo series, which would have no effect on a character that's completely owned by Koei Tecmo.

Here, all the "teasers" are obviously unintentional.
However, in the case of Koei Tecmo, we receive KT content on a recurring basis, and Persona 5 Strikers isn't owned by Nintendo.
If Hayabusa comes, I think he would be the first concretely teased fighter and that would mean Nintendo would have played with us.
If Hayausa doesn't come, then Nintendo would have simply valorized collaborative works and Persona 5.
I wasn't just talking about Koei Tecmo. I was talking about the other companies too. They had content from series that are owned by Nintendo.

Koei Tecmo is okay with their content in Smash, so it shouldn't be any real problem getting Hayabusa in the game. But I wouldn't be so quick to call any kind of content a tease. Koei Tecmo does seem like a special case, I'll admit that but I know not to expect anything in Smash, no matter how likely it seems or how much sense it makes.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Bruh where do you get these awesome pics from? Do you make them in the game?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If he gets the chance to have him in here, I guess that Sak would do his own take on the outfit unless it was specifically requested by KT.

I feel pretty confident it’ll be like reverse Cloud where his modern outfit will be 1, 3, 5, and 7 and his classic being 2, 4, 6, and 8.

Though my biggest wish is for them to just fill the entirety of his alts with his many different costumes.
I'd like the modern, classic and DOA looks myself, but given the restraint on alts on a case-by-case basis I think we'd be lucky if we even got two of those.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Awesome! So then did you get your profile pic made specially? Cause I'm a huge fan of Kasumi, and seeing her with Banjo & Kazooie and Mario is really cool.
I made that too 😄, it was going to be Mario, Banjo & Kazooie, and Hayabusa but Kasumi fit better at the time but don’t worry I have a few surprises for later 😊

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
https://www.actugaming.net/dead-or-alive-6-interview-yohei-shimbori-producteur-184969/ Ok so this was back in January of 2019 so I don’t know if this affects Hayabusa’s chances now since Fighters Pass VOL 2 started in 2020, but Dead or Alive producer Yohei Shimbori said that he has never asked Sakurai for a representative in Smash but he said that if he ever meets with him he would (and said he’d ask for Kasumi) but once again this was back in January 2019 and we now know that obviously Hayabusa wasn’t in the first fighters pass so that could’ve changed for this one especially since negotiations and decisions for fighters probably started after Hero and Banjo-Kazooie (or maybe earlier I really don’t know)
C53EB9B6-CB8E-4050-87F3-A73E56E8CE09.jpeg

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
If he gets the chance to have him in here, I guess that Sak would do his own take on the outfit unless it was specifically requested by KT.

I'd like the modern, classic and DOA looks myself, but given the restraint on alts on a case-by-case basis I think we'd be lucky if we even got two of those.
I don't think they need to create a new costume for Hayabusa in Smash but if they had to, it'd most likely be a spin on the modern outfit considering Ninja Gaiden Master Collection would be what Koei Tecmo would want to promote similar to how Hero's default ended up being the DQXI protagonist instead of DQIII's who is more well-known in Japan.

This is what I'd personally choose for his costumes, though. We got his modern black outfit, the other alt colors from modern NGII in red, green, yellow/gold, a leopard skin like Snake's, his white Sigma 2 outfit, his OG classic blue, and an extra alt in his DOA appearance for a total of the usual 8 costumes for Smash. This is most likely not going to happen because it'd be too perfect (for me) but I think it's a bit realistic since all the colors and outfits already exist in their home games.
NG2costumes.png

6c4337f807921ce231da6935b46cf367.png

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
https://www.actugaming.net/dead-or-alive-6-interview-yohei-shimbori-producteur-184969/ Ok so this was back in January of 2019 so I don’t know if this affects Hayabusa’s chances now since Fighters Pass VOL 2 started in 2020, but Dead or Alive producer Yohei Shimbori said that he has never asked Sakurai for a representative in Smash but he said that if he ever meets with him he would (and said he’d ask for Kasumi) but once again this was back in January 2019 and we now know that obviously Hayabusa wasn’t in the first fighters pass so that could’ve changed for this one especially since negotiations and decisions for fighters probably started after Hero and Banjo-Kazooie (or maybe earlier I really don’t know)View attachment 307031
He's only worked on the DOA series, so it's no surprise that he would want Kasumi in the game. But it's really just him and it doesn't really tell us which character Koei Tecmo overall would choose for Smash, so I say this has no effect on Hayabusa's chances.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
https://www.actugaming.net/dead-or-alive-6-interview-yohei-shimbori-producteur-184969/ Ok so this was back in January of 2019 so I don’t know if this affects Hayabusa’s chances now since Fighters Pass VOL 2 started in 2020, but Dead or Alive producer Yohei Shimbori said that he has never asked Sakurai for a representative in Smash but he said that if he ever meets with him he would (and said he’d ask for Kasumi) but once again this was back in January 2019 and we now know that obviously Hayabusa wasn’t in the first fighters pass so that could’ve changed for this one especially since negotiations and decisions for fighters probably started after Hero and Banjo-Kazooie (or maybe earlier I really don’t know)View attachment 307031
Reminder that a SNK bigwig said that he wanted Poppy, a dog from Samurai Shodown, as the Smash character around the release of Ultimate.

So, yeah I’m sure it means absolutely nothing as ever discussed that here before I’m pretty sure.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It shouldn't really. Don't forget that the original makers of Banjo-Kazooie didn't know that Banjo was coming to Smash until he was actually revealed. Granted, most of those guys were already at Playtonic Studios by that point, so they wouldn't really NEED to talk to them about getting the rights, but I'm sure some of those guys remained at Rare and Microsoft. Besides, licensing discussions usually revolve around the higher-ups on the corporate ladder as opposed to the game designers in charge of them like Shimbori.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Ryu Hayabusa’s design in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would be his NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA 2 design as it seems to be the most popular and is the one that TEAM NINJA usually uses when Hayabusa does crossovers, this is kinda like how Solid Snake’s most popular design is his METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty incarnation or PAC-MAN’s most popular design is his original 3D one from PAC-MAN WORLD but that’s just my guess
B62D945A-E393-4CE1-9BE1-4EEE91B6F833.jpeg

Besides his NINJA GAIDEN 3: RAZORS EDGE design I don’t know, it doesn’t seem like the one they’d go with

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, apparently, a Canadian game retailer claimed that there wouldn't be a physical version of Master Collection anywhere except Asia, of all places.

This is quite weird, seeing as it's usually just certain Koei games that get this (at least for English releases), never Tecmo. Maybe they're playing it safe after the series died years ago?

The only times he ever teases anything are in ways so obtuse that they only make sense after the fact, shortly before presentations happen. Mainly a picture of him spelling "17" in binary, and him chuckling to himself in a tweet before Pyra showed up (ho, ho=Homura). Then there's the time Nintendo themselves gave us a hint for the ARMS character...by saying their arms extend. So yeah, the only thing that can be done is by trying to find evidence and use educated reasoning.

Most people think Sak foreshadows anything in super-obvious ways, especially after all the fun he's had with Palutena and Ridley (as a boss) for Smash 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom