• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So Sakurai uses official figures as references for upcoming fighters... Guess what? Ryu does have official figures! And one is even poseable! lol
View attachment 305836View attachment 305837View attachment 305838View attachment 305841

One for each mainline modern Ninja Gaiden game amazingly enough.
THAT’S ALSO TRUE!
ALSO HERO’S GAME REVEALED IN FEBRUARY, HERO IN SMASH AT JUNE E3
NINJA GAIDEN TRILOGY REVEALED IN FEBRUARY AND RELEASING IN JUNE, HAYABUSA REVEAL IN JUNE MAYBE!?
ALSO STEVE WAS REVEALED AND COINCIDED ALONGSIDE MINECRAFT LIVE AND SEPHIROTH WAS REVEALED AT TGA TO COINCIDE WITH IT HAVING A MAJOR PRESENCE THERE AND THE MONSTER HUNTER MII’S WERE RELEASED TO COINCIDE WITH MONSTER HUNTER RISE AS WELL AS ARTHUR WITH GHOSTS ‘N GOBLINS, IM JUST SAYING ITS POSSIBLE ALSO SORRY FOR CAPITALIZATION I JUST HAVE SO MUCH SPECULATIVE HYPE RIGHT NOW

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We live to fight another day. R.I.P to Monster Hunter and Arthur though.

All in all we’re right back to where we started good or bad. Let’s make the best of it. Master Collection is just on the horizon.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Hayabusa feels like a good candidate for the final reveal if at all.

Things are looking up for Ryu I think. Lloyd's Mii not returning indicates another swordy he'll come alongside.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Even with E3's physical convention cancelled, it seems pretty likely that a bunch of companies (likely including Nintendo) are going to have some kind of digital presentation around that time.
Well, yeah, if it's digital, then there's definitely a possibility of a reveal. And Hayabusa would definitely generate a lot of hype.

Nothgard

Smash Cadet
So I got a question

The Ninja Gaiden Collection was said to be in March right, now granted it's more plausible that the March date was a placeholder date perhaps

But if it wasn't, do you think it's possible they delayed the Collection to June to coincide with Ryu's Inclusion in Smash, perhaps as a request from Koei?
This is my same theory.
Is there a fatal frame assist trophy, but not a ninja gaiden assist trophy or spirit? Has no sense.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
This is my same theory.
Is there a fatal frame assist trophy, but not a ninja gaiden assist trophy or spirit? Has no sense.
Yes there is a FATAL FRAME Assist Trophy and Spirits but no NINJA GAIDEN assist trophies and spirits
9B967F13-902F-4645-8FED-3FAA6BAD6A5E.jpeg

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Possibility to consider.

Lloyd wields what are supposedly dual katanas. Ryu Hayabusa wields a katana itself as well.

I say this given most Sm4sh Miis that returned have had tied to new fighters they come with.

Joker = Tails and Knuckles given Altus is owned by Sega
Terry Bogard = Akira being both he and Terry are from fighting games
Min Min = Heihachi, same reason as Terry with Akira
Steve = Gil given the blue diamond swords
Sephiroth = Geno due to both being Square
Pyra & Mythra = Monster Hunter given dual blades which Pyra & Mythra basically are

Of course this could also apply to another JRPG character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, it's going to be at least 3 months from now before we likely find out who FP10 is. The figure thing is nice to know of for sure if Sakurai uses them for character reference though.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Technically Ryu Hayabusa is very similar to Terry in that he'll rep an entire company but also his character isn't that "big" among modern fans. I mean Ninja Gaiden had two peaks, once in the 80's and again in the early/mid 2000's. Remember Ninja Gaiden 3 the most recent game came out way back in....2012...which is now over 8 years ago.

To a lot of people Ryu will be a "literal who" in the same manner Terry was. That's why people thinking he has to be a "big reveal" doesn't mean much, his character isn't really mainstream anymore especially among younger videogame players. People notice a lot of Smash reveals end on a character who is not as hugely popular as others, so him being one of the last two characters wouldn't surprise me.

And he basically fits Sakurai's criteria of representing all eras of gaming. Most characters in Season 2 are "modern" characters like Min Min, Steve, and Pyra/Mythra....with Sephrioth being the only other "pre-2000's" character and even then he's also modern again due to FF7 remake.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Possibility to consider.

Lloyd wields what are supposedly dual katanas. Ryu Hayabusa wields a katana itself as well.

I say this given most Sm4sh Miis that returned have had tied to new fighters they come with.

Joker = Tails and Knuckles given Altus is owned by Sega
Terry Bogard = Akira being both he and Terry are from fighting games
Min Min = Heihachi, same reason as Terry with Akira
Steve = Gil given the blue diamond swords
Sephiroth = Geno due to both being Square
Pyra & Mythra = Monster Hunter given dual blades which Pyra & Mythra basically are

Of course this could also apply to another JRPG character.
Ryu Hayabusa also wields dual Katana’s in his game!
415295D7-D483-4ED8-8468-C780C8EAAA08.jpeg

However I do want to bring this up: how are Lloyds chances as a fighter? I know Scott Menville has not revealed what the NDA he signed was for yet and Lloyd being the last Mii Costume is pretty sus so honestly it could go either way, Ryu Hayabusa is playable but Lloyd is the Mii Costume or Lloyd Irving is playable but Ryu Hayabusa is the Mii Fighter. Honestly Lloyd as a fighter is in a really weird position in my opinion as he would be cool and BANDAI NAMCO does deserve another rep but at the same time they do have a lot in the game as it is, but then again it could just be a spacing thing where they wouldn’t want to release all the Mii Costumes at once (especially since we only had a few left and now we just have one left) and also we do have that Imran statement saying not to trust Tales Of and he also said he didn’t believe in Monster Hunter as well
D99D63F1-3506-4F22-B4C3-9B5F46C66359.png

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Argh, not going to lie, I am torn between Lloyd and Ryu as the last swordfighter. Either one of them will come with awesome music songs which is why I am torn.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Ok before I post about this I just want to say that I IN NO WAY hate Lloyd Irving, I love him and he’s my boy, but Ryu Hayabusa is my most wanted so since it’s between him and Lloyd I gotta share some in sight. So Scott Menville made his NDA tweet on 9/18/19 but Skye (Pyra’s VA) made her tweet about Pyra in Smash (although we didn’t know it yet) on 6/28/20, if Lloyd is next then why did Pyra’s VA who had to do her Voice over that day get their character revealed first, why didn’t she work on it on 9/18/19 like Scott as well? Cuz if it was Lloyd then why wait do his VA all the way back then? Why not tweet about this later? It’s possible Scott’s thing could be for something else but with the Lloyd costume missing and Scott Menville of ALL VA’s saying that about a character who’s Mii costume is still missing and has not returned yet, it’s just way too much of a coincidence and if it is a coincidence then it would be the hugest ****ing coincidence of the century but I’m still convinced that all Smash 4 Mii’s will return, they’ve got to know that it’s obvious that if Lloyd’s Mii is missing it would be “wait where’s Lloyd oh he could be a fighter!” Ordeal and this doesn’t help our boys case either. I don’t want it to be where Lloyd is revealed as the fighter and then Ryu Hayabusa gets a Mii Costume because the Trilogy is releasing that month for Nintendo Switch like the MONSTER HUNTER Mii’s
8B8B5231-7AB6-4B8C-A5D5-8EECDCB99DC0.png

Last edited:

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
So an idea I had for Ryu Hayabusa to make him more unique and represent the different games he’s been in: basically his “gimmick” would that he’d have two different fighting styles, one with his Dragon Sword where he plays similar to his NES games (even being the first fighter to run up walls, attach himself to the bottom of platforms/stages and attack while wall clinging) and one where he puts away his sword and fights hand-to-hand like he does in Dead or Alive. All of his special moves would have him using Ninpo and would stay the same no matter what stance he was in as well as his smash attacks, which would have him use different weapons from the modern trilogy. Is this a dumb idea or no?

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So an idea I had for Ryu Hayabusa to make him more unique and represent the different games he’s been in: basically his “gimmick” would that he’d have two different fighting styles, one with his Dragon Sword where he plays similar to his NES games (even being the first fighter to run up walls, attach himself to the bottom of platforms/stages and attack while wall clinging) and one where he puts away his sword and fights hand-to-hand like he does in Dead or Alive. All of his special moves would have him using Ninpo and would stay the same no matter what stance he was in as well as his smash attacks, which would have him use different weapons from the modern trilogy. Is this a dumb idea or no?
Nah that’s a cool idea, also look ANOTHER KOEI TECMO SPIRIT in Smash
AF85604F-D90F-4E0E-8058-CFE43A165E9E.jpeg

(Yes I know she’s an ATLUS character but it says KOEI TECMO GAMES on the copyright statement in the Smash news section)
Also another interesting thing is is that both Sheik AND Greninja have not been updated in this patch so if they start glitching for whatever reason, it could POTENTIALLY point towards Hayabusa as there have been past situations (like I’ve said before Daisies dress pointing towards I forgot who but it was someone, Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter glitching which eventually lead to Banjo & Kazooie and Hero, and most recently Pokémon Trainers swap mechanic glitching due to Pyra and Mythra) so if they start glitching that’s a VERY good sign but they don’t necessarily have to glitch at all either to point towards a character such as no one glitching for Terry Bogard (unless of course we didn’t catch it)

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I legitimately believe Ryu will be the last character of this fighters Pass
Crash or another big profile icon is probably the next character tho
Still, Lloyd's mii costume not having come back yet makes me expect Ryu EVEN MORE now

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I legitimately believe Ryu will be the last character of this fighters Pass
Crash or another big profile icon is probably the next character tho
Still, Lloyd's mii costume not having come back yet makes me expect Ryu EVEN MORE now
My only concern is that the reason Lloyd Irving’s Mii Costume is missing is because Lloyd is coming as a fighter and while I like Lloyd, I’d prefer Hayabusa as a fighter. Lloyd Irving’s voice actor Scott Menville teased about a voice over he was working on but he was under NDA and couldn’t say what it is, Pyra’s VA did something similar and as we know now that it was for Smash. So either Scott Menville’s voice over is for Smash or it’s for something else we don’t know cuz he never said what it was for and the Lloyd Mii is still missing which is sus, at first I was on the train of Ryu Hayabusa is next and Lloyd Mii returns cuz there both similar with the scarf and Katanas and that can still very much be the case but it’s really sus that the voice actor of LLOYD IRVING of all characters has not said what he was working on yet and now the Lloyd Mii is still missing which once again is just too much to be a coincidence, however I will say that it’s very strange that Scott Menville’s Voice over was in September and Pyra’s was in June and yet Pyra released first
*UPDATE: Lloyd’s current voice actor said he has not been asked to reprise his role for Lloyd in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, so MAYBE Scott Menville’s thing is something else but since Menville is the original Voice of Lloyd it’s still possible that they could’ve just asked him to do it instead
*UPDATE 2: **** Me guys, I’m starting to genuinely think it’s Lloyd, Bandai Namco deleted a tweet when someone asked if Lloyd is coming and they said “Stay Tuned” and then said tweet was deleted, once again we STILL don’t know what Scott Menville’s Voice Over is, Lloyd’s Mii is not here, **** man it could be Lloyd as a fighter with Hayabusa Mii to promote the Trilogy, that’s ****ing stupid and very likely, the only thing giving me hope is that the Heihachi and Gil Mii costumes have returned and I feel as though if Lloyd was a fighter that they would return alongside him as Actually I did just realize that, SEGA costumes (returning) came with a SEGA rep, SNK costumes came with an SNK character, and Square Costumes (returning) came with Square characters, so if Bandai Namco did have a rep, I feel as though their Mii Costumes would return alongside that character as well

Attachments

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Well there's two slots left anyway.

Still Koei never got any Spirit events for any of their franchises, no Ryu Hayabusa Mii outfit, nothing Koei is in the game besides Fatal Frame which Nintendo co-owns. The complete absence of the company is kinda baffling when they worked on Fire Emblem Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity at the same time the fighter pass characters were being decided. Not to mention Nintendo had Ninja Gaiden 1 on the NES classic, and on Nintendo Switch Online at the same time.

If Koei really does miss Smash entirely, it is kinda baffling. If they had stopped supporting Nintendo a long time ago it wouldn't be a big deal, but given how heavily Nintendo relies on them to work on Fire Emblem and Zelda of all things, two of their biggest franchises, for them not to be considered for Smash really does raise some eyebrows. I doubt there's any rights issues involved either, so it's weird.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
My only concern is that the reason Lloyd Irving’s Mii Costume is missing is because Lloyd is coming as a fighter and while I like Lloyd, I’d prefer Hayabusa as a fighter. Lloyd Irving’s voice actor Scott Menville teased about a voice over he was working on but he was under NDA and couldn’t say what it is, Pyra’s VA did something similar and as we know now that it was for Smash. So either Scott Menville’s voice over is for Smash or it’s for something else we don’t know cuz he never said what it was for and the Lloyd Mii is still missing which is sus, at first I was on the train of Ryu Hayabusa is next and Lloyd Mii returns cuz there both similar with the scarf and Katanas and that can still very much be the case but it’s really sus that the voice actor of LLOYD IRVING of all characters has not said what he was working on yet and now the Lloyd Mii is still missing which once again is just too much to be a coincidence, however I will say that it’s very strange that Scott Menville’s Voice over was in September and Pyra’s was in June and yet Pyra released first
*UPDATE: Lloyd’s current voice actor said he has not been asked to reprise his role for Lloyd in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, so MAYBE Scott Menville’s thing is something else but since Menville is the original Voice of Lloyd it’s still possible that they could’ve just asked him to do it instead
UPDATE 2: *** Me guys, I’m starting to genuinely think it’s Lloyd, Bandai Namco deleted a tweet when someone asked if Lloyd is coming and they said “Stay Tuned” and then said tweet was deleted, once again we STILL don’t know what Scott Menville’s Voice Over is, Lloyd’s Mii is not here, **** man it could be Lloyd as a fighter with Hayabusa Mii to promote the Trilogy, that’s ****ing stupid and very likely, the only thing giving me hope is that the Heihachi and Gil Mii costumes have returned and I feel as though if Lloyd was a fighter that they would return alongside him as Actually I did just realize that, SEGA costumes (returning) came with a SEGA rep, SNK costumes came with an SNK character, and Square Costumes (returning) came with Square characters, so if Bandai Namco did have a rep, I feel as though their Mii Costumes would return alongside that character as well
Dude, calm yourself. Chances are Lloyd's Mii costume is coming back just like the rest of them sheesh. If we thought Monster Hunter was such a shoo in until just yesterday, what makes us think Lloyd is any more likely? His Mii costume probably is just coming back as the last returning one from Smash 4 without any fanfare so I'm not worried at all. Just... stop worrying so much, it's not healthy. We have at least a few more months until the next fighter reveal and Mii costume showcase, unless a Ninja Gaiden Spirit Event happens before then but I digress.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Dude, calm yourself. Chances are Lloyd's Mii costume is coming back just like the rest of them sheesh. If we thought Monster Hunter was such a shoo in until just yesterday, what makes us think Lloyd is any more likely? His Mii costume probably is just coming back as the last returning one from Smash 4 without any fanfare so I'm not worried at all. Just... stop worrying so much, it's not healthy. We have at least a few more months until the next fighter reveal and Mii costume showcase, unless a Ninja Gaiden Spirit Event happens before then but I digress.
Lol sorry for acting a bit Jumpy, I just really want our boy to make it!

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
UPDATE 2: Me guys, I’m starting to genuinely think it’s Lloyd, Bandai Namco deleted a tweet when someone asked if Lloyd is coming and they said “Stay Tuned” and then said tweet was deleted, once again we STILL don’t know what Scott Menville’s Voice Over is, Lloyd’s Mii is not here, * man it could be Lloyd as a fighter with Hayabusa Mii to promote the Trilogy, that’s ****ing stupid and very likely, the only thing giving me hope is that the Heihachi and Gil Mii costumes have returned and I feel as though if Lloyd was a fighter that they would return alongside him as Actually I did just realize that, SEGA costumes (returning) came with a SEGA rep, SNK costumes came with an SNK character, and Square Costumes (returning) came with Square characters, so if Bandai Namco did have a rep, I feel as though their Mii Costumes would return alongside that character as well
Wow. Only took one random tweet getting deleted for you to suddenly lose faith, huh? If none of the other Smash 4 mii costumes have been upgraded at this point, why would Lloyd suddenly be the one to break the trend? Because he's the only one to not come back so far? Isn't that idea a little too obvious at this point?

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Only took one random tweet getting deleted for you to suddenly lose faith, huh? If none of the other Smash 4 mii costumes have been upgraded at this point, why would Lloyd suddenly be the one to break the trend? Because he's the only one to not come back so far? Isn't that idea a little too obvious at this point?
That’s what I said! My cousin still won’t take me seriously though lol, we have these talks all the time 😅 and I haven’t lost faith I just think it’s really weird SCOTT MENVILLE LLOYDS VA of all people made a tweet like that about NDA and this whole “Lloyd is the last costume missing” thing just kinda got to me

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
That’s what I said! My cousin still won’t take me seriously though lol, we have these talks all the time 😅 and I haven’t lost faith I just think it’s really weird SCOTT MENVILLE LLOYDS VA of all people made a tweet like that about NDA and this whole “Lloyd is the last costume missing” thing just kinda got to me
Fair enough. Though from the way you worded it, I assumed that you were the one freaking out over it. I still don't think Lloyd's getting upgraded to a character. If they didn't do it with Geno then it's weird that they'd suddenly do it now. I'm actually predicting his Mii costume to come with Hayabusa and Challenger Pack 10, in hopefully May. They just seem like a good fit at this point.

Also, I'm LOVIN' Pyra and Mythra so far 😍

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Remember how I was talking about glitches leading to future fighters being worked on? Well Dark Pit is having a glitch that has his Arrow stick onto his body, guess who has an auto aiming compact bow? Ryu Hayabusa https://twitter.com/le_basth/status/1368242856993947651?s=21
Dark Pit was NOT worked on in patch 11.0 because if he was that would be the reason he’d be having this issue, but he has not been tampered with at all, this is interesting also Dark Pit and Ryu Hayabusa kinda have the dark thing going on just saying
0188490D-09A0-465F-A97F-22A7FA974FDE.jpeg

8C65C782-9F66-4A44-AA12-81AB8B43958F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Remember how I was talking about glitches leading to future fighters being worked on? Well Dark Pit is having a glitch that has his Arrow stick onto his body, guess who has an auto aiming compact bow? Ryu Hayabusa https://twitter.com/le_basth/status/1368242856993947651?s=21
Dark Pit was NOT worked on in patch 11.0 because if he was that would be the reason he’d be having this issue, but he has not been tampered with at all, this is interesting also Dark Pit and Ryu Hayabusa kinda have the dark thing going on just saying View attachment 306166
View attachment 306167
That’s actually a good find. I don’t think the dark color means anything but the bow definitely feels similar.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm more or less convinced that the only reason Lloyd's still alive is because they didn't wanna distract from the Capcom promotions they were doing. Would've been weird to just shoehorn Lloyd in after all that and then talk about Capcom's new games like he wasn't there. Ryu's another really good opportunity for it to appear so that's probably the roadmap they set for it.

There's also always the good chance of Crash showing up and bringing whatever random assortment of costumes they please, so he might just show up there.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Dark Pit was NOT worked on in patch 11.0 because if he was that would be the reason he’d be having this issue, but he has not been tampered with at all, this is interesting also Dark Pit and Ryu Hayabusa kinda have the dark thing going on just saying View attachment 306166
View attachment 306167
Is it Just Dark Pit, and not also Pit

If so then that really is specific then, as if it was for something that another DLC character has, it implies it has a similar limited Aiming system to Dark Pit, and not the free flowing arrows of Pit

I'm gonna assume that if it was for Ryu, than the Bow and Arrow in his game can home in, but they can't do 180's or 360's as easily as Regular Pit's arrows can

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Is it Just Dark Pit, and not also Pit

If so then that really is specific then, as if it was for something that another DLC character has, it implies it has a similar limited Aiming system to Dark Pit, and not the free flowing arrows of Pit

I'm gonna assume that if it was for Ryu, than the Bow and Arrow in his game can home in, but they can't do 180's or 360's as easily as Regular Pit's arrows can
It seems to be just Dark Pit So wait are you saying that it’s in favor of Hayabusa or against Hayabusa’s bow?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So wait are you saying that it’s in favor of Hayabusa or against Hayabusa’s bow?
If Ryu's Arrows in Ninja Gaiden work more like Dark Pits arrows (having homing capabilities, but are more limited compared to Pit) than it's a point in his Favor

If Ryu's Arrows can do Easy 180's like Pit's arrows can, than it might not be for Ryu, since I imagine either Pit would also be glitching, or it would just be Pit Glitching

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
If Ryu's Arrows in Ninja Gaiden work more like Dark Pits arrows (having homing capabilities, but are more limited compared to Pit) than it's a point in his Favor

If Ryu's Arrows can do Easy 180's like Pit's arrows can, than it might not be for Ryu, since I imagine either Pit would also be glitching, or it would just be Pit Glitching
Oh I get it now, it’s in his favor then as Ryu’s auto aim arrows work similar to Dark Pit’s, he can’t 180 or 360 his arrows (unless he does cool ninja flips and does it himself lol) but no he doesn’t do 360’s like that in game

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302

Ryu's arrows shot from his bow cannot curve like Pit and Dark Pit's magic arrows. I think you guys are tackling a dead end here. Ryu can auto-aim at targets depending on which game but he cannot curve them.

Pit and Dark Pit's arrows don't have homing capabilities anyway. You still have to direct the shot manually.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Ryu's arrows shot from his bow cannot curve like Pit and Dark Pit's magic arrows. I think you guys are tackling a dead end here. Ryu can auto-aim at targets depending on which game but he cannot curve them.

Pit and Dark Pit's arrows don't have homing capabilities anyway. You still have to direcr the shot manually.
Oh I know that but what I’m saying is that they could use the steering mechanic in their move set as a base in order to make an auto aim mechanic of some kind, of course you are also right that this might not mean anything and we could be at a dead end here but hey who knows

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Oh I know that but what I’m saying is that they could use the steering mechanic in their move set as a base of some kind in order to make an auto aim mechanic of some kind, of course you are also right that this might not mean anything and we could be at a dead end here but hey who knows
I dunno man. Being able to steer arrows up or down which are not magical in nature and never have been able to in their origin games seems rather unlikely and just wishful thinking at this point.

Top Bottom