• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said before, whenever Hayabusa gets hit, I hope he makes the same pose that he makes in the NES games, which is the same as Simon and Richter's.
Imagine Hayabusa getting hit off the ledge of the stage and his free fall is like in the NES game where pretty much falls to his death lol! Not that bad, but I could see his free fall having a long delay until you can control lmao!

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Imagine Hayabusa getting hit off the ledge of the stage and his free fall is like in the NES game where pretty much falls to his death lol! Not that bad, but I could see his free fall having a long delay until you can control lmao!

I mean, not everything has to be perfectly on par with the games lol.
If things were like that then basically Sonic could only get hit twice and Snake would quickly run out of ammo.

I think the real question is whether or not he's going to run like he does in the NES games. It honestly would look pretty unnatural and stiff.

View attachment 289034
:rotfl:
Call me crazy but I honestly wouldn’t mind that at all, although I do think it’d be a bit better if they could make his arms move a little bit while still capturing the feel of his iconic NES running animation (if that’s possible).

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think the real question is whether or not he's going to run like he does in the NES games. It honestly would look pretty unnatural and stiff.

View attachment 289034
:rotfl:
He needs to run like this, but with his body leaning forward and arms outstretched behind him. Yes, I'm saying he needs to Naruto run. It'll be the most ridiculous run in the entire game. It'll be glorious

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
He needs to run like this, but with his body leaning forward and arms outstretched behind him. Yes, I'm saying he needs to Naruto run. It'll be the most ridiculous run in the entire game. It'll be glorious
You mean kinda like this? At 0:15.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Speaking of the Warriors games, are there any videos showing the similarities between the Warriors and Smash versions of the characters? I'm pretty sure Link and Marth had to have some of their attacks taken from their Smash movesets. Maybe the same thing with Joker too.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Man, it's looking good for Hayabusa.

I hope they'll put some DOA music. Retro NG music would obviously gonna be added, but I much prefer DOA music over modern NG music.

D

Deleted member

I think Hayabusa might be treated as Mr. Koei-Tecmo in the same way that Terry was treated as Mr. SNK. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we got Warriors and Dead or Alive content alongside him.
Outside of Mii Costumes, I don't see Hayabusa coming with both Warriors and DoA content. If Ninja Gaiden is going have a Challenger Pack in Smash, it'll strictly be Ninja Gaiden content that comes with Hayabusa and nothing more.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Outside of Mii Costumes, I don't see Hayabusa coming with both Warriors and DoA content. If Ninja Gaiden is going have a Challenger Pack in Smash, it'll strictly be Ninja Gaiden content that comes with Hayabusa and nothing more.
Well it’s not out of the realm of possibility to add Warriors and Dead or Alive content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, each company in Smash has multiple franchises represented, Konami has Metal Gear Solid, CastleVania, and Bomberman, ATLUS has Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona 5, Capcom has Street Fighter and MegaMan, Microsoft has Minecraft, Banjo-Kazooie, and FALLOUT, and so many more examples, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be a big deal to add more Koei Tecmo franchises along with Ninja Gaiden content. Besides FATAL FRAME is already in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with Yuri Kozukata and Mio and Mayu Amakura anyway so

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I see no reason to doubt that Hayabusa will at least come with DOA content too. He's a prominent character in that series and as already mentioned, it's canon to the Ninja Gaiden universe. We've seen it happen with Terry, so why can't the same thing happen with Hayabusa? It makes sense.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
With how close Koei is to Nintendo, I could definitely see it being another scenario like SNK where they go “Here, take whatever you want!”

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To the point of seeing 50+ music tracks?
I’m not that familiar with Koei’s overall library, so maybe? I’m not sure if their music library is as great as SNK’s. I definitely think we could see some content from DOA, Warriors & Nioh since they’re all connected to Ryu.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
With how close Koei is to Nintendo, I could definitely see it being another scenario like SNK where they go “Here, take whatever you want!”
I personally don't see Koei Tecmo being this free. You'd think we would've gotten Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors spirits in Smash due to their perceived closeness but here we are. I wonder if we'll even get a Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Spirit Event if the other two Nintendo Warriors games didn't get anything.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I assume that’s all on Nintendo since those are Nintendo IPs.

I’m also thinking that we’ll see a BOTW character, so they’d probably save Age of Calamity stuff for then.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s weird because KT kinda has this shared world thing going on. Like Nioh definitely takes place in the same universe as Ninja Gaiden due to one of Ryu’s ancestors, Jin Hayabusa appearing in Nioh, Nioh has designs of the historical character ripped nearly straight out of Samurai Warriors just aged up, and then Dead or Alive being Canonical to the Ninja Gaiden franchise and, yep, it’s all because of Ryu Hayabusa.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see William or Kasumi be included in the Spirit board in all honesty.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I don’t think we will ever get +50 tracks from a single company again. At most (being generous), I can see Koei-Tecmo letting Smash team 20-25 songs, like 7-8 from NES trilogy, 10 from modern trilogy, 4-5 from DOA games and 2-4 from other Koei-Tecmo titles like Warriors or Atelier.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don’t think we will ever get +50 tracks from a single company again. At most (being generous), I can see Koei-Tecmo letting Smash team 20-25 songs, like 7-8 from NES trilogy, 10 from modern trilogy, 4-5 from DOA games and 2-4 from other Koei-Tecmo titles like Warriors or Atelier.
I could see us getting 50 tracks again if another SNK character ever becomes DLC again.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
SNK gave them 50 music tracks because they were basically dying to get anything in Smash. I see Koei Tecmo giving no more than 15 music tracks seeing as the next highest 3rd Party DLC was Persona with only getting 11 from Atlus. I personally see mostly Ninja Gaiden, some Dead or Alive, and zero from Warriors and Nioh.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don’t think we will ever get +50 tracks from a single company again. At most (being generous), I can see Koei-Tecmo letting Smash team 20-25 song
I think it's less about KT letting them have that many, and more about Nintendo not bothering to ask for that many.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I think it's less about KT letting them have that many, and more about Nintendo not bothering to ask for that many.
Well, the story Sakurai gave in Terry's presentation was that they decided to pick out music tracks from the entirety of SNK's library, chose 50, submitted the proposals to SNK, waited for SNK to approve any of them, then SNK just decided to let them use everything. Not sure if this is how they worked on every other Challenger Pack.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, the story Sakurai gave in Terry's presentation was that they decided to pick out music tracks from the entirety of SNK's library, chose 50, submitted the proposals to SNK, waited for SNK to approve any of them, then SNK just decided to let them use everything.
KT would probably also just say "Yes" to whatever Sakurai asks for. But I doubt there's 50 KT songs Sakurai would want.

Not sure if this is how they worked on every other Challenger Pack.
I can pretty much guarantee that's not how Hero went. :p

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So who would be the 2nd most likely Tecmo character besides Hayabusa?
I'd assume somebody from Warriors. I know DoA is super-closely tied to Ninja Gaiden and all, but honestly, Dynasty Warriors is their second biggest franchise AFAIK, and even though the most likely contender from that franchise (Lu Bu) is based on an IRL person and not a video game character (Does that make them 5th-party if Goku and the like is 4th party?), we still have the likes of Dr. Kawashima in the game, who is also an IRL person.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
How likely is it that Ryu would be top tier? I feel like given his character type he's most likely going to be fast, strong, and a middle weight. He'll no doubt have zoning tools as well. I feel like he could be the best so far not including Joker (not sure how good Steve is).
I’m betting Ryu will get the Belmont treatment.

Almost the entire moveset: Kickass

Recovery - plain ass

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
How likely is it that Ryu would be top tier? I feel like given his character type he's most likely going to be fast, strong, and a middle weight. He'll no doubt have zoning tools as well. I feel like he could be the best so far not including Joker (not sure how good Steve is).
I can see him as either the next Simon or Bayonetta. He'll either be annoying as **** with projectile spamming using shurikens, windmill shuriken, flying fire wheels, vacuum wave, etc., or he'll be cancerous as hell with combos like Bayonetta that deal a lot of damage and have combos that end with Izuna Drop which consistently lead to the kill.

You know what? Give Ryu classic Ninja Gaiden's ninpo projectiles and modern Ninja Gaiden's Hack 'n' Slash combo game and we have ourselves the next top tier. That would be glorious.

Top Bottom