• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 7-8, 2014] Super SWEET: feat. Armada, Mango, Axe, Scar, Toph, Kage, KirbyKaze (Ann Arbor, MI)

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
This is the first time I'll be playing in a round-robin tournament, so I have a few questions I'd like to ask to make sure I have a proper understanding of how things will be played out.
Melee Singles Pools Round 1
16 round-robin pools of 10 players each, top 4 advance to Melee Singles Pools Round 2.

Melee Singles Pools Round 2
8 round-robin pools of 8 players each, top 4 advance to Melee Singles Bracket Top 32.
My current understanding is that in a round-robin tournament, the matchup orders are designed so that all players have at least one match against every other player. If that is so, does this mean that each player will be playing 9 games in Round 1, and 7 games in Round 2? Does this also mean that players are "knocked out" of the tournament only after a round has completed? How are the top 4 determined? Is it by W/L ratio?

Last edited:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
You play 9 sets in Round 1, but you have to qualify for Round 2 to play further. See the Additional Rules section for how placings in pools are determined.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up and for setting up this tournament! I'm very excited~

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
How could you tell if your in the losers/winners bracket like your the top 4 in a Round Robin and you lose a Set earlier there is always a confusing thing in most things (I didn't enter Melee but needed info to learn when i start playing melee)

Napkin

Smash Cadet
How could you tell if your in the losers/winners bracket like your the top 4 in a Round Robin and you lose a Set earlier there is always a confusing thing in most things (I didn't enter Melee but needed info to learn when i start playing melee)
In pools there is no winner's or loser's side. With most round robin pools, if you qualify for bracket you enter through the winner's side no matter what.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
In pools there is no winner's or loser's side. With most round robin pools, if you qualify for bracket you enter through the winner's side no matter what.
So even if you lose a set and make it to top 4 your still in winners bracket

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
So even if you lose a set and make it to top 4 your still in winners bracket
There's no real "bracket" until all round robins are complete; once rounds one and two have been completed, the top 4 of all round two's round-robin pools (32 players) are placed into their respective positions at the "beginning?" of a 32-person double-elimination bracket. It's all standard from there forth.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Juggleguy I have a Wii remote and when I test it and their are problems would I be DQed if I'm trying not to Mess up if yes I am so worried!!!!!

Top Bottom