• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 21, 2014] Well Seasoned Gaming Presents: Get Your Game On! (TWO DAYS) (Nicholasville, KY)

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Reason I was asking to get a low seed for day 2 was kinda pending that there's not going to be a huge turnout for instance 30 ppl for melee which drowning ppl out in pools would be kind of pointless and if there are pools it would just be for seeding purposes. Now if there were 50 + ppl i could see ddrowning ppl out to a top 32 or something being that you have 2 days to do so. It just doesn't make since for me to drive an hour and a half totaling 6 hours for 30 man tournament. I mean lol ill play jiano first just to warrant the loss and all it would do is save somebody else the potential chance of maybe making it to second round lol

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
I just want to play in the tournament but can't make it both days if i can still get in bracket and it's a 2 day event I'll just send my entry fee with kodey and it's a free w for everyone in my pool !

Last edited:

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice
Can we please just do all the melee stuff on saturday? Does that not sound simpler? I won't be able to make both days.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
If you all had an issue with this being a two-day event, perhaps you should've made your concerns known three months ago when the tournament, was announced, rather than less than a week before the event. Expecting the schedule to change drastically 5 days before the event is rather silly, to be completely honest. Housing has been offered, yet hardly anyone has asked.

In regards to why we made this a two-day event: big scenes need big events. Kentucky has never had a two-day regional, to my knowledge, so why not start now? Unfortunately for us, MLG announced their event shortly after we announced this, so our guaranteed attendance draw (Mew2King) bailed on us (not that we blame him, its most likely the right decision for him). Kentucky's smash scene died off a couple of years ago, and has slowly but steadily been growing. We just want to keep on growing, and a two-day event is the next logical step. Perhaps the time isn't right for that?

I'm sorry to those of you who can't make it because this is two days, but something tells me that if we still had the big-name draw, you all would've found a way.

There's also an issue with making it a one day event. We only have the venue until 10 PM. Finishing 6 brackets (doubles and singles for all 3 games) would be impossible in such a short time span. So I request that you please understand this. Every game deserves full attention, and they won't get it otherwise.

Again, our apologies to those who don't like this, but it is what it is. We look forward to seeing all of you who are coming on Saturday.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
So can I still be in bracket if i show up sunday I'll send my entry fee with someone and forfeit all my pools matches and I'm not saying this at all to be a smart ass I just can't make both days but theoretically if their is no pools cutoffs then I could just forfeit all my pools matches?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
If you all had an issue with this being a two-day event, perhaps you should've made your concerns known three months ago when the tournament, was announced, rather than less than a week before the event. Expecting the schedule to change drastically 5 days before the event is rather silly, to be completely honest. Housing has been offered, yet hardly anyone has asked.

In regards to why we made this a two-day event: big scenes need big events. Kentucky has never had a two-day regional, to my knowledge, so why not start now? Unfortunately for us, MLG announced their event shortly after we announced this, so our guaranteed attendance draw (Mew2King) bailed on us (not that we blame him, its most likely the right decision for him). Kentucky's smash scene died off a couple of years ago, and has slowly but steadily been growing. We just want to keep on growing, and a two-day event is the next logical step. Perhaps the time isn't right for that?

I'm sorry to those of you who can't make it because this is two days, but something tells me that if we still had the big-name draw, you all would've found a way.

There's also an issue with making it a one day event. We only have the venue until 10 PM. Finishing 6 brackets (doubles and singles for all 3 games) would be impossible in such a short time span. So I request that you please understand this. Every game deserves full attention, and they won't get it otherwise.

Again, our apologies to those who don't like this, but it is what it is. We look forward to seeing all of you who are coming on Saturday.
So it's pretty apparent that this isn't going to be a big regional. That isn't any of our fault; that fault lies entirely on you the TO. Did you even talk to Chicago, MI, the rest of OH, TN, MV/DA? I'm hard pressed to believe that EVERYONE from the other regions are going to MLG.

Now that it's clear this isn't going to have a big attendance, can you really blame anyone for not wanting to be there on Sunday?

This pretty much sums up what everyone is thinking right now.

Last edited:

kodeyluigi

Smash Apprentice

To be fair i'v known about this event for 2 weeks. My point is why should i, or the rest of Louisville have to find housing for a 2 day in state tournament that's likely to get anywhere from 12-25 people that I play with regularly. Not that anyone should care to hear my concerns but my concerns will be the same for at least 50% of the bracket. M2k coming wouldn't change my opinion either because it's still an in state tournament. Everything could definatly be ran in a day if the TO runs the tournament how it should be. Again, I really just don't want to drive to Lexington twice in 2 days or spend my entire weekend there. I'm sorry for bringing this up the week of the tournament but again I didnt know the date until a couple weeks ago honest

Last edited:

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Schedule has been updated to allow for Melee and PM to all fit into their own days. You all asked for it, so now you're getting it. But let this be known:

THE VENUE CLOSES PROMPTLY AT 10 PM ON SATURDAY AND AT 6 PM ON SUNDAY. We do not want to run over these time limits. If necessary, brackets can be concluded elsewhere, though this is only an absolute last resort. To ensure that things run on time, we will not hesitate to disqualify anyone who does not report for their match in a timely manner. IF YOU MUST LEAVE FOR ANY REASON (FOOD, ETC), YOU MUST CLEAR IT WITH THE TOS FIRST.

Thank you for understanding.

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
  1. Guys they did what they could to make as many ppl as possible happy no matter which scenario there's going to be some number of ppl unhappy

Megachuk

Smash Ace
  1. Guys they did what they could to make as many ppl as possible happy no matter which scenario there's going to be some number of ppl unhappy
I'm not necessarily unhappy. I get that the TO is doing his best to please as many people as possible. I just think dropping brawl is the better solution. I haven't read one person post about brawl. All conversation has revolved around melee and pm. Why not just make it melee and pm then?

I'm not trying to anger anyone, but doesn't that seem to make more sense? He even said something about being willing to drop some events.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
"Drop Brawl because no one cares about it"

Not like a rather huge name in Brawl is attending or anything...
Joe is the only OoS brawl player coming to this lol. The rest of the brawl tournament is gonna be filled by KY players.

That said though, there are enough KY brawl players to warrant keeping it.

Edit: Appreciate the change for Melee guys! Having to come for 2 days for this is really what was going to prevent Cincy Melee from coming.

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Ok so first I want to say that I'm not coming, even though I wanted to. Too much drama and too much facepalm towards people from my city.

Tako, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. As far as I know, you've never TO'd aside from the free <20 man bracket you did last night. You have little concept of what it's like to be in charge of multiple events with nearly twice as many players over the course of an entire day. I don't imagine you've ever herded cats, either, so even metaphors fail.

These tournaments, as with most tournaments, run long largely because of players who show up late, don't bring enough setups, constantly ask for breaks, randomly disappear to get food, and tie up setups with friendlies during pools and early stages of bracket. You, and many other players from Cincinnati, have a well-deserved reputation for most, if not all of these things. I've pushed very, very hard to dispel this reputation, and I've been fortunate in that Rizner and Village Mascot see eye-to-eye with me on this. Whenever you guys are involved, though, everything is always so much more complicated. Simple solutions like leaving earlier, quitting the stupid friendly when you're asked, or just putting a TV in your damn trunk elicit complaints and grumbling from the lot of you. Both Lumi and PiBs are starting to get some sense of what it's like from the other side. Go ahead and ask them and they'll tell you-- it sucks.

I mean, you've had perfectly valid concerns, but it is not all on the TO. Even without regional-level turnout and only like 3 people for Brawl, the last one of these I went to wound up finishing at the TO's apartment. I say going for a two-day event was a perfectly reasonable decision at the time it was made. Please try to understand that, and stop taking the people who make these events possible for granted.

tl;dr: Players need to cooperate more, and TO's deserve far more respect than they get.

To everyone else: Best of luck. I hope everything goes off without a hitch, and I'm sorry I won't be there to help.

GG's all. I'll see you later.

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
If only we did that in the days that Melee was suffering :)
Lol, in point of fact? We did.

Very few Brawl tournaments-- especially early on-- had Melee events. I didn't host them, and neither did almost any of the tournaments I attended. I think most people had the same experience.

There was a general assumption that Brawl was the future, whether you liked it or not. It was much, much less accommodating than we are today.

Not that I want to argue that it should be that way...

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Ok so first I want to say that I'm not coming, even though I wanted to. Too much drama and too much facepalm towards people from my city.

Tako, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. As far as I know, you've never TO'd aside from the free <20 man bracket you did last night. You have little concept of what it's like to be in charge of multiple events with nearly twice as many players over the course of an entire day. I don't imagine you've ever herded cats, either, so even metaphors fail.

These tournaments, as with most tournaments, run long largely because of players who show up late, don't bring enough setups, constantly ask for breaks, randomly disappear to get food, and tie up setups with friendlies during pools and early stages of bracket. You, and many other players from Cincinnati, have a well-deserved reputation for most, if not all of these things. I've pushed very, very hard to dispel this reputation, and I've been fortunate in that Rizner and Village Mascot see eye-to-eye with me on this. Whenever you guys are involved, though, everything is always so much more complicated. Simple solutions like leaving earlier, quitting the stupid friendly when you're asked, or just putting a TV in your damn trunk elicit complaints and grumbling from the lot of you. Both Lumi and PiBs are starting to get some sense of what it's like from the other side. Go ahead and ask them and they'll tell you-- it sucks.

I mean, you've had perfectly valid concerns, but it is not all on the TO. Even without regional-level turnout and only like 3 people for Brawl, the last one of these I went to wound up finishing at the TO's apartment. I say going for a two-day event was a perfectly reasonable decision at the time it was made. Please try to understand that, and stop taking the people who make these events possible for granted.

tl;dr: Players need to cooperate more, and TO's deserve far more respect than they get.

To everyone else: Best of luck. I hope everything goes off without a hitch, and I'm sorry I won't be there to help.

GG's all. I'll see you later.
Alright, granted I might have been a little too hard on these guys. But honestly we've been working on being more responsible and we've been making tournaments without you/rizner/village mascot without being late and bringing setups. I(We) will continue to make it earlier to tournaments to be part of the solution rather than the problem.

But there are underlying issues that SOMEBODY has got to address. I don't like being 'that guy' either, but sometimes somebody's got to step up and explain what the issue is, and what is the current status.

Like I got two other things I want to go over about this tournament. If you want to have a big regional, this venue is simply not going to cut it. I mean just by looking at the parking lot the max number of people this venue can handle is probably 30-40.

The other thing is how can you have a big tournament without stream; people flip out when big tournaments have stream down, it is a pretty big deal to have stream on larger tournaments.

I'm probably being this guy and I'm quite aware of that. I mean, I complain but don't actually TO or setup tournaments, sue me. But if you want to stay butthurt because I'm making points that are undeniably true, stay mad bro.

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Nah, it's cool, dude. You all have been much, much better than my post gave you credit for.

I just want more respect for TO's, even if they **** up. Like, offer advice and acknowledge problems, of course, but don't be a **** about it. Not only does it make TOing less stressful-- something sorely needed-- a whole lot of solutions to other problems naturally arise from it.

That's it, lol. Sorry for being butthurt.

Haven't seen results yet. Hope you guys repped us well or the butthurt will return. :salt:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Dude I get why you're mad. I probably went too hard too.

I got 5th, MDVA came down. You're probably going to be disappointed lol.

Last edited:

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Hey, before the results thread is up, I just wanted to say thanks everyone for coming, and thanks Melee players for bringing setups and being on top of things regarding getting matches done. We just barely managed to get everything done today before 6.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Dr X, I want to explain a bit more why I was more strict this time.

When Hael Phael ran Invasion back in April, there was a ton of problems: not enough setups, not enough TOs, poorly scheduled events, etc. But after the tournaments I tried to be supportive and while pointing out what went wrong with the tournament. I tried to stay positive and give him support for his next event rather than straight bash his tournament. (Reference http://smashboards.com/threads/keroro-platoon-presents-invasion-results.353392/)

But this tournament was a totally different beast.

This is my greatest concern.

. We just barely managed to get everything done today before 6.
It's not the fact that two days shouldn't have been necessary because of attendance. The reason why I was really upset was because there was not enough preparation to deal with a regional tournament. TTAR said that this tournament was designed to be KY first big regional in a long time (if ever). However, based on the results they barely finished a 20-30 man tournament with 6 events over the course of two days.

I'm actually glad that not a lot of out of region people showed up; it would have been a utter fiasco if 60-80 people showed up. Like I said before, there's not even enough parking space for that venue to support half that number ffs. If all these people showed up and by Sunday at 6 we barely finish pools for a singles event, how would that make KY look in the eyes of other regions? It would make all of us look like complete idiots, and we would never hear the end of it.

It was probably a mistake for me to focus on how unnecessary the 2 days should have been, but THIS is what was really eating at me. We were LUCKY that MLG took attendance away from this tournament, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom