• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Tax Big D's winnings next tournament to buy a community Smashfest lamp

Occupy Big D

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'd support a winnings tax to buy new stuff.

I dug up my Income Tax Act and found this:

Section 56(1)(n)(i):

Amounts to be included in income for year
(1) Without restricting the generality of section 3, there shall be included in computing the income of a taxpayer for a taxation year,
(n) the amount, if any, by which
(i) the total of all amounts (other than amounts described in paragraph 56(1)(q), amounts received in the course of business, and amounts received in respect of, in the course of or by virtue of an office or employment) received by the taxpayer in the year, each of which is an amount received by the taxpayer as or on account of a scholarship, fellowship or bursary, or a prize for achievement in a field of endeavour ordinarily carried on by the taxpayer, other than a prescribed prize,
exceeds
(ii) the taxpayer’s scholarship exemption for the year computed under subsection (3);
(iii) [Repealed, 2001, c. 17, s. 39(1)]

A prescribed prize is an award resulting from a meritorious reward from contributions to the arts, sciences, or public services.

I think everybody's tournament winnings are supposed to be taxed. Of course, you have your education tax credits to earn it all back but technically your tournament earnings must be reported! After a second look, don't think part (ii) really applies to anybody.
Isn't tax interesting!?

Captain L

Smash Champion
yeah the community as a whole is somewhat aware of the fact that tournament winnings are supposed to be taxed, in the same way that having somebody pay you 10$ to mow their lawn is supposed to be taxed.

I think the only smash tournaments ever to tax winnings are like MLG and EVO and stuff.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Ok so smash at stronghold tomorrow.

So far Eric, Nick, and myself are going, Eric and I will show up at 1 with NIck showing up a bit later.

Agias

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Reggie here! I just wanted to say thanks for the experience about a week ago. Definitely coming back for more. I believe Calvin and I will show up tomorrow if that's cool :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow I have never been so turned off to play Melee before. The obvious disrespect I got today was awful. To make things worse, I got pressured into a crew battle (which made me feel worse) I didn't want to be a part of and pretty much made up a lie to leave early.

Like... blatantly telling somebody you're not going to try or looking away for a third of the game does send a message. Saying things that you know will discourage people don't need to be said. I know I am bad but I don't really need to be reminded of that fact repeatedly.

Landon you should prepare yourself for the Zelda matchup for the monthly in May.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Sorry to hear that Kevin.. I can guess the certain people too that would say that kind of stuff.. Not sure what to say about them. But that's not how we get the smash community to grow that's for sure. Disgusting.

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
Kev: I don't remember any of this happening and I wish you would have said something instead of lying. We aren't going to staple a controller to your hand and force you to play if you really don't want to, just say you don't want to play and you'd rather spectate. I hope you show up again because it's finally nice to have a peach player in BC and you're impossibly pleasant to be around.

Sorry to hear that Kevin.. I can guess the certain people too that would say that kind of stuff.. Not sure what to say about them. But that's not how we get the smash community to grow that's for sure. Disgusting.
lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
First off, don't take it seriously

Secondly, don't even lie about memory while high. When I am really baked I don't even remember what I am talking about 2 minutes ago

SKidd

Smash Master
Top Bottom