• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I think you should read all the details of the story. Making judgements on things without knowing the full situation should never be done.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
There is probably a lot about it I didn't know. But she had a place to sleep at night, she obviously had a computer, so I doubt she was very deprived. She probably even got the luxury of eating every day too. And she probably had a family.
That sounds like a life worth living to me.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
So the Wii U is better than I expected it would be. There are dreadful loading times for pretty much everything you do though .-. and the day 1 system update took aprx an hour to complete >.>

Other than that It's pretty cool. I am very taken in by all the small little features about it though. The charging cradle for the controller is very handy, being able to use it as my television remote is sooooo convenient, looking around by moving the the controller is quite entertaining and the Wii U discs themselves feel so cool, the edges are rounded or something.

Nintendoland's F-Zero attraction is by far my favorite of all those mini games.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yes, other people have it worse. That doesn't invalidate the problems she did have, and it doesn't make the hopelessness she obviously felt "idiotic". There are countless other stories of kids being driven to suicide that have gone unheard and it is kind of arbitrary that this particular case is getting so much attention, but it is bringing light to the issue, and everything has to start somewhere. Who knows, maybe all this buzz will even make some kids think twice before flinging verbal daggers at people to make them look big in front of their friends...

:005:

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
2. Subjectivity is rarely in play in things that I do. People tend to apply subjectivity to things, but that is different.

bunch of other stuff about being fundamentally correct regardless of anything.
You are wrong and you should learn that you can be wrong even when you think you're right. You should also understand that I have no illusions towards thinking that directly telling you that you are wrong would convince you of that in the first place, because direct contradiction in the face of unmoving belief is something you just covered yourself and deny that you could be the party doing so.

Subjectivity is a ****ing certainty because you are not omnipotence incarnate. You perceive objectivity in your actions by removing your feelings (ergo personal bias) from your decision making process because you don't understand how to deal with feelings without extensive introspection, which of course is counter-intuitive to on the fly decision making. You lack the recognition of this fallacy since you clearly think you can escape subjectivity by doing so. This ironically makes you predisposed to making entirely selfish decisions by denying the reality of everyone else around you and claiming inherent superiority because of a crass and narcissistic belief that you understand objectivity better than everyone else, because you worked hard to figure it out. This is a lack of empathy, which only stems from a lack of personal understanding. You might be able to draw some conclusions as to why consistently removing your feelings from the way you think would create this problem.

So quote this, disagree with everything I said, reaffirm your belief in yourself, and go on pissing everyone around you off and not understanding why they dont accept you as the harbinger of universal truth and reason.

There's no correct way to tell someone they're a horrible person for having a child. (and not aborting it).

Or many other things that I would say given the chance. *
SO IF THERE IS NO CORRECT WAY OF DOING SOMETHING HOW ARE YOU CORRECT FOR WANTING TO DO IT. JESUS CHRIST.

AND OH MY GOD **** MARTH AND THE OH TIPPER OH SPIKE LOOK YOU GOT SPIKED LUL DOWN AIR. I'm going to go todd myself.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I don't know why I read every single Arcansi argument, I never have any idea what either side is saying D=

I feel the controller was designed for people with smaller hands .-. My hands cramped up after a about an hour of gameplay compared to the what? 5 hours of constant gameplay with a gamecube controller. I'm hoping the pro controllers are more comfortable. It does feel sturdy though and the shoulder buttons have a nice feel to them when pressed.

Havn't even tried online yet =x

Sync.

Smash Champion
Sup ******s I name searched here seeing that Asa used my acount again....WELP

Yo boi Arcansi or whatever is pretty whiny lol.

Also Big D is my hero and the hero of BC

Why am I up? I'm trying so hard to sleep :/

By the way Asa is my best employee :)

Edit: what the hell? It censors w4nkers???

| Big D |

Smash Master
I'm glad to hear things are working out over in TX.

What character are you using now? Results say MK (good **** btw) Bryan tells me Oli.

Sync.

Smash Champion
I had a really stupid identity crisis where I wasn't going Olimar for a couple of tournaments because I've been getting frustrated with how my aggro play-style didn't really fit Olimar too well at higher levels of play :/

I finally got over it after I attended WABA thanks to random encouragement from Georgia, MJG and ESAM and now I'm going to be going almost all Olimar (MK and Snake for ICs, Falco and maybe other Olimars). I'm camping more too thanks to Asa ^_^

Thanks for the compliments on my results :) I'm glad to see you're holding it down too!

Edit: By the way, Asa and I have been throwing the idea around of going to BC sometime in the future to visit for a monthly :) is there any specific time we should come?

| Big D |

Smash Master
Reminds me of a certain BC Olimar who was really fast and technical, and MK seemed like the better choice for him.

Would be so legit if you guys came down, no idea when would be the best time, if you came for Phoenix there would be legit attendance but that won't until at least April.

I bet you could handle ICs with Olimar, Bryan knows that MU like the back of his hand. Brood 2-0'd 9B last tournament they played, Olimar is scary.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You should totally come this week! There are also plans of a nice group dinner :) Bryan has said nothing but nice stuff about you so I'd love to meet you!

Somebody teach me how to play defensive but I'm not sure if I can bear it... it's so boring!

Shuttle Loop makes me really depressed :( MK mains are automatically bullies to Peach.

I'm going to spend my life savings (a sad amount) within the next hour... on stocks! Ahh, everything went up like crazy though!

Dawson, they are coming up, not down. ;)

I heard the WiiU required an update immediately and if you lost your connection/power during the process, it would be unusable. A controller for small hands? Sounds good to me :)

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Okay, some thoughts:

Not a fan of Finebros. I think the reactions of the teens are choreographed tbh.

I'm leaning on Grapes side of the Todd issue but I remain ambivalent in general. Do I think a lesson ought to be learned from this ordeal? Without a doubt. Do I feel sorry for her? To some degree. Yeah, bullying is wrong etc. but I seriously question the idea of a gang of teens all crowding around her at school and telling her collectively that she ought to die and so forth. Does one seriously think that all those people would genuinely wish death upon her - even though they might have been legitimately p***ed at her? Perhaps she HAD done something seriously wrong, yet at the same time perhaps the bullies were simply employing idiomatic expressions. Then, given her track record and a comment I saw her account make prior to her suicide - asking the viewers of a popular channel to view her recent videos or something - this just after she had uploaded the now famous video - I would assume that she simply wanted attention. Call me cynical, but it's pretty feasible. I do feel contempt at her decision to end her life over such issues - judging this incident from her own words here, not acting as if I know her -, squandering away all she had in contrast to millions of others in the world. Ultimately, she was a lost, misguided and somewhat disillusioned girl who to some degree didn't deserve the crap she got but should have actually used her brain. I find it utterly ridiculous that she felt compelled to FLASH in front of strangers in the first place, believing that there would be no repercussions. That's what you call delusion, stupidity and naivety. Guess I'm being harsh now but it is what it is. Semi-rant over.

Moving on...

Traffic be going in on Arcansi. +1

TX guys should come to BC sometime to add some extra hype! : D How are you doing in his particular Smash scene lately Asa?

Despite Jason adding my name to the confirmed list, I had told him prior to my addition - via AiB - that it was never a certainty that I could show up; just a strong possibility. Even went on to say I'd give a concrete answer on Wed. Despite that he deleted my shout out and added me anyway :I . The chances I can make it are very high however.

I look forward to seeing and playing yallz again hopefully.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Jason just wants an excuse to repost the list.

Glad to hear you're likely to come however.

This weekend would be cool, but I can imagine ticket prices are expensive since it's less than a week from now.

| Big D |

Smash Master
OMFG HYPE ISDIOHSDKJDJSHDFKDJSHFJKULHUKASJ:LKFHKLAS

Regardless, this isnt what smash is about to me. I was iffy about doing another Genesis 3 next summer but im pretty sure this pushed me over the fence, just so i can be a part of showing what smash is actually all about.
We're doing this.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Yeah it'd be kinda far into the future when we'd come because Apex tickets are going to kick our *** with money lol. I know Aleate, camping can be boring that's why I don't do it too much :)

Good luck at your tourney this weekend guys :)

Arcansi

Smash Champion
You are wrong and you should learn that you can be wrong even when you think you're right. You should also understand that I have no illusions towards thinking that directly telling you that you are wrong would convince you of that in the first place, because direct contradiction in the face of unmoving belief is something you just covered yourself and deny that you could be the party doing so.
1. You seem to have gained some weird assumptions somewhere. I understand that I can be wrong, and have admitted that I am wrong on several occasions. It comes with such mannerisms as aggressively arguing with people. I'm okay with it.

You go on to try and prove your point, so that's good. Your form is WEIRD, but that might just be me.

Subjectivity is a ****ing certainty because you are not omnipotence incarnate. You perceive objectivity in your actions by removing your feelings (ergo personal bias) from your decision making process because you don't understand how to deal with feelings without extensive introspection, which of course is counter-intuitive to on the fly decision making.
I'm not seeing anything negative here.

You lack the recognition of this fallacy since you clearly think you can escape subjectivity by doing so.
I have no idea what fallacy you're referring to above.

This ironically makes you predisposed to making entirely selfish decisions by denying the reality of everyone else around you and claiming inherent superiority because of a crass and narcissistic belief that you understand objectivity better than everyone else, because you worked hard to figure it out.
You're hyperbolizing what I do and acting like it's real. I minimalize some parts of the 'reality' of others' situations, sure. I can see myself doing that.

I don't claim inherent superiority without proof. Logic please.

This is a lack of empathy, which only stems from a lack of personal understanding. You might be able to draw some conclusions as to why consistently removing your feelings from the way you think would create this problem.
I have a lack of empathy, I have no idea what it stems from. Your conclusion seems to make sense.

The problem here is you don't seem to outline a problem in my actions. You use a lot of words to say what I've been saying myself, and overstate a few things in what I perceive as an attempt to make me look bad, but I know I have no idea why you really do it.

Have to leave in 5 mins, if I can't finish this, this is a placeholder.

So quote this, disagree with everything I said, reaffirm your belief in yourself, and go on pissing everyone around you off and not understanding why they dont accept you as the harbinger of universal truth and reason.
1. You act like I'm inherently opposed to everything against me, and this isn't true. Most of what you say is true on some level, as I say above.

2. You're overstating what I believe here.

I mostly want people to actually be open to the type of things I say. I believe that currently perceptions are messed up and emotions have way too much sway in what people do and the like, but I know I am not listened to.

SO IF THERE IS NO CORRECT WAY OF DOING SOMETHING HOW ARE YOU CORRECT FOR WANTING TO DO IT. JESUS CHRIST.

AND OH MY GOD **** MARTH AND THE OH TIPPER OH SPIKE LOOK YOU GOT SPIKED LUL DOWN AIR. I'm going to go todd myself.
Lol. You're super emotional here. I don't have the time to think of some doing-the-dinosaur related insult at the end, so excuse me.

There isn't a correct way in society. Context is a concept, plz use.

I'm correct for wanting to do it only because I don't apply nearly as much emotion as you do to things.

If you're going to in, try not to act like jumping in over and over is good against DP.

Understand?

Traffic be going in on Arcansi. +1
10/10 made me log in and respond.

EDIT: -10/10 for giving me expectations which turned out to be 100% false.

overall 0/10.

I don't know why I read every single Arcansi argument, I never have any idea what either side is saying D=
1. Drama is interesting.

2. I have no idea how you don't understand. Assuming you have understanding of logic, emotion, and the english language...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Just found a possible newcomer. Move over Dawson, we have a real Luigi player now :)

Ike > Marth.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Yes, other people have it worse. That doesn't invalidate the problems she did have, and it doesn't make the hopelessness she obviously felt "idiotic". There are countless other stories of kids being driven to suicide that have gone unheard and it is kind of arbitrary that this particular case is getting so much attention, but it is bringing light to the issue, and everything has to start somewhere. Who knows, maybe all this buzz will even make some kids think twice before flinging verbal daggers at people to make them look big in front of their friends...

:005:
I want to speak on this topic, but I can't. It's one of those things where I get to wonder about my own conclusions, knowing that nobody has even thought about the kind of stuff I do, let alone could actually talk to me about it.

I guess, count your ****ing blessings? I don't know what you guys think.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Okay, some thoughts:

Not a fan of Finebros. I think the reactions of the teens are choreographed tbh.

I'm leaning on Grapes side of the Todd issue but I remain ambivalent in general. Do I think a lesson ought to be learned from this ordeal? Without a doubt. Do I feel sorry for her? To some degree. Yeah, bullying is wrong etc. but I seriously question the idea of a gang of teens all crowding around her at school and telling her collectively that she ought to die and so forth. Does one seriously think that all those people would genuinely wish death upon her - even though they might have been legitimately p***ed at her? Perhaps she HAD done something seriously wrong, yet at the same time perhaps the bullies were simply employing idiomatic expressions. Then, given her track record and a comment I saw her account make prior to her suicide - asking the viewers of a popular channel to view her recent videos or something - this just after she had uploaded the now famous video - I would assume that she simply wanted attention. Call me cynical, but it's pretty feasible. I do feel contempt at her decision to end her life over such issues - judging this incident from her own words here, not acting as if I know her -, squandering away all she had in contrast to millions of others in the world. Ultimately, she was a lost, misguided and somewhat disillusioned girl who to some degree didn't deserve the crap she got but should have actually used her brain. I find it utterly ridiculous that she felt compelled to FLASH in front of strangers in the first place, believing that there would be no repercussions. That's what you call delusion, stupidity and naivety. Guess I'm being harsh now but it is what it is. Semi-rant over.
Sorry for keeping this going, but again, save judgement for when you know all the details. I make no moral judgement on the girl, I only view this is a very unfortunate event, but if I were to cast judgment I would never do so at a 12 year old girl. Psychologically speaking, she wouldn't be fully developed cognitively + the weird pressures and odd phases gone through life at that time can lead to especially weird behaviour. Obviously she wanted attention, for years no one liked her for an action that, tbh, shouldn't be looked down upon to the degree it does, ESPECIALLY when it is done by a 12 year old girl.

Also the bullying was very real, and any proof of that should be apparent through the fact she had to change schools many times.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for keeping this going, but again, save judgement for when you know all the details. I make no moral judgement on the girl, I only view this is a very unfortunate event, but if I were to cast judgment I would never do so at a 12 year old girl. Psychologically speaking, she wouldn't be fully developed cognitively + the weird pressures and odd phases gone through life at that time can lead to especially weird behaviour. Obviously she wanted attention, for years no one liked her for an action that, tbh, shouldn't be looked down upon to the degree it does, ESPECIALLY when it is done by a 12 year old girl.

Also the bullying was very real, and any proof of that should be apparent through the fact she had to change schools many times.
Not saying it wasn't real but I think most people are glossing over her own naivety as well. There are two lessons to learn from this horrendous debacle: 1) Bullying under any pretext is wrong and 2) Children ought to learn how to use social media properly. There are plenty of creepers around online like that lowlife who cyber-bullied her.

And let's not forget that she was around 15, not 12. Big difference in when examining a person in those phases :p

Perhaps I can grant somewhat of a concession to your reply though. Her mental state ought to be heavily considered, considering all the crap kids go through in those few years at high school. I do believe, however, that she, even as a growing teen should have had the foresight to realize that flashing in front of strangers, and then proceeding to go sleep with some guy who she KNEW was in a relationship was beyond idiotic.

Also, great stuff Aleate!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
She was 15 when she killed herself, she was 12 when this began

Sleeping with a boy that led her on, and gave the impression that he truly liked her should lead to minimal judgement on her, and should have most, if not all blame put on the boy... However this clearly did not happen.

Top Bottom