• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh there's worse consequences in this game. Imagine poor Joker going Lovers route with female Robin or Corrin. While he's maxing out Confidant, they're maxing out Supports. The moment they start going steady, some random schmuck shows up claiming to be your son from the future pops into existence and asks to crash on your couch.

This would also makes the 'cheating' cutscene more awkward.........
That is what happens when you mingle with character outside your series. Not that the fan base will ever let him stop...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's still just so surreal seeing Joker on official character lists. Kind of like with Ridley and K Rool. Now 3 out of my 5 pipe dream characters are in. I just need Ray MK III and Geno.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What really blows me away about Joker being in Smash is that now he's officially part of Smash history. There's a chance he could come back for future games. If we ever get another "EVERYONE IS HERE!" moment, that will include Joker.

He's part of the roster now, and now there's always a chance he could be in games beyond Ultimate.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It's still just so surreal seeing Joker on official character lists. Kind of like with Ridley and K Rool. Now 3 out of my 5 pipe dream characters are in. I just need Ray MK III and Geno.
Not just character lists, but also Smash fanworks. It's so surreal imagining him just...there, alongside characters like Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Snake, Cloud, and many many more.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not just character lists, but also Smash fanworks. It's so surreal imagining him just...there, alongside characters like Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Snake, Cloud, and many many more.
It's so awesome. People latched onto him and Kirby being friends immediately and then we get the usual fun fluff like Bayonetta being his mom or a Bowser social link. To see the protagonist of one of my favorite games just...there in the fanart with so many characters that make me happy, to see him accepted so fast by so many, it's really awesome. It's hard to believe it's real even now sometimes.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It makes me really happy how positive the reaction has been. I didn't expect Joker to be near universally loved if he got in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What really blows me away about Joker being in Smash is that now he's officially part of Smash history. There's a chance he could come back for future games. If we ever get another "EVERYONE IS HERE!" moment, that will include Joker.

He's part of the roster now, and now there's always a chance he could be in games beyond Ultimate.
That's the nice thing about Smash's roster immunity compared to other series. No matter what happens, a character has the option to come back in the future.

That is what happens when you mingle with character outside your series. Not that the fan base will ever let him stop...
>that third one
Assuming he isn't dating his mum, she's probably there to see the sparks fly.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
>that third one
Assuming he isn't dating his mum, she's probably there to see the sparks fly.
That seems to be the general consensus in the comments. Either that or the artist got a decent way through before even hearing about the Bayo is Joker's mom meme.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I am still in shock with this announcement. I never thought this would happen and I was always like "Joker would be amazing, but I don't think he'll get in."
I still can't believe one of my dream characters managed to make it into the roster for Smash Ultimate and I can see myself playing as him for hours on end when he releases.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Everyone's done this already but how do you guys feel about this selection for music?

Life Will Change - Persona 5
Life Will Change (Instrumental) - Persona 5
Last Surprise - Persona 5
Will Power - Persona 5
Blooming Villain - Persona 5
Keeper of Lust - Persona 5
Rivers in the Desert - Persona 5

Invitation to Freedom - Persona Q2
Remember We Got Your Back - Persona Q2
Wait and See - Persona Q2
Reach Out to the Truth - Persona 4
Mass Destruction - Persona 3
Battle Hymn of the Soul - Persona 4 Ultimax

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Everyone's done this already but how do you guys feel about this selection for music?

Will Power - Persona 5

Love it.

amageish

Smash Master
It makes me really happy how positive the reaction has been. I didn't expect Joker to be near universally loved if he got in.
Yeah, same. I was ready for so much more salt then we got... I think he has the adventage of being the first reveal, as everyone is too excited by the fact Nintendo isn't picking boring characters to be salty haha.

Anybody here wanna main him like me?
Probably! I make no promises until we see how he plays haha.

Also, I realize I've never posted my music hopes...

Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There
Life Will Change (Instrumental)
Life Will Change (Vocal)
Beneath the Mask (Ideally Remixed to be more Battle-Ready)
Last Surprise
Blooming Villain
Tokyo Daylight
When Mother Was There
Rivers In the Desert
Confrontation
Jaldabaoth

And, if we can ask for non-P5:
Invitation to Freedom (PQ2)
We Know We've Got Your Back (PQ2)
Pull the Trigger (PQ2)
Wait and See (PQ2)
GROOVY (P5DSL)
Light the Fire Up In the Night (PQ)
Reach Out to the Truth (P4)
Time to Make History (P4)
Pursuing My True Self (P4)
Break Out Of... (P4A)
Mass Destruction (P3)
Wiping All Out (P3P)

Then a bunch more if we can go into other ATLUS soundtracks... But, in reality, I know that it'll probably be ~5 P5 songs and probably a couple PQ2 ones...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Will Power - Persona 5

Nice selection, but it's missing wake up get up get out there and whims of fate. I'd like to see some version of the velvet room song as well.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
So everyone talks about Joker fighting iconic characters, but did you ever think about Joker appearing in stages from iconic games like Gerudo Valley from OOT? Like holy **** that's hard to wrap my mind around.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Indeed! Probably helps that his reveal helped in defying the narrative constructed by insiders so speculation isn't ruled by them like it was pre-release.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Indeed! Probably helps that his reveal helped in defying the narrative constructed by insiders so speculation isn't ruled by them like it was pre-release.
Oh yes, definitely. I waited for something that would get them to slip up, ain't even mad. That it's a character that didn't get much stock around here was cherry on top of the cake.

amageish

Smash Master
amageish amageish how do I pronounce your username? I'm pretty sure I'm butchering it in my head.
It's A Mage-ish. Like, a mage who is not fully confident in their abilities, so they say "I'm a mage-ish?"

I, uh, apparently didn't fully understand how the -ish suffix worked when I first played Pathfinder, but its stuck as my go-to username haha.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Any thoughts on the game's PLOT? For me, sometimes it is dragged on.
I have no issues with it that aren't solved or made bearable by the rest of the game and surrounding package being incredible.

It was everything I needed and wanted at the time and I love it.

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Any thoughts on the game's PLOT? For me, sometimes it is dragged on.
For me, it's one of my favorite games of all time, so you take that back you scoundrel but there was definitely one part that I felt dragged on a little too long for me. And that was
Shido's Palace. Which is a real shame, since I loved the idea of it, but it just felt so dragged by the end. And I figured it was because it was the last area, but that isn't even true.

Regardless, it's still one of my Top 5 to this day, and I am just so jazzed to play him in Smash.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's been 14 days. Is Joker still confirmed? I have yet to see Sakurai himself say anything about him. For all we know it was the Fils-a-mech at the game awards.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's been 14 days. Is Joker still confirmed? I have yet to see Sakurai himself say anything about him. For all we know it was the Fils-a-mech at the game awards.
It was all just a prank. The real first fighter's pass character is Monty Mole.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The Persona Q2 soundtrack needs to be in Smash, it's such good **** that it's not even funny.

Also I'd absolutely love One Nightbreak from P5D.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay guys, big idea:

If Joker’s Final Smash is All-Out Attack and uses it during a team battle, what if up to four of his teammates in the battle actually join in on it? It would be a nice Smash-style flourish to such a stylish FS!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Warms my heart to see how excited you all are for Joker everytime I come around these parts. I didn't initially react too much until after I began to think what his inclusion really meant and how much I loved Persona 4 Golden (Still really need to play 5 though). The music alone makes him such a worthy inclusion in my eyes.

I wanted to ask why I was here though, what's the best way to play Persona 3? I've been in the Persona mood ever since his announcement and while I will probably wait for the Switch release of Persona 5 so as to play the complete/ultimate/crimson/ruby/whatever version, my attention turned towards 3. I have Persona 3 Portable on my Vita, though FES is an easy purchase on my PS3 as well. Sorry to derail the thread, but I want a good Persona fix and like I said, I'm inclined to wait on 5 (Unless someone can convince me otherwise haha).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Warms my heart to see how excited you all are for Joker everytime I come around these parts. I didn't initially react too much until after I began to think what his inclusion really meant and how much I loved Persona 4 Golden (Still really need to play 5 though). The music alone makes him such a worthy inclusion in my eyes.

I wanted to ask why I was here though, what's the best way to play Persona 3? I've been in the Persona mood ever since his announcement and while I will probably wait for the Switch release of Persona 5 so as to play the complete/ultimate/crimson/ruby/whatever version, my attention turned towards 3. I have Persona 3 Portable on my Vita, though FES is an easy purchase on my PS3 as well. Sorry to derail the thread, but I want a good Persona fix and like I said, I'm inclined to wait on 5 (Unless someone can convince me otherwise haha).
Persona 3 Portable, female protagonist. Tons of QOL changes and to be honest the story is better with her too. Plus she can kiss Elizabeth and I appreciate this. Really though her social links are way better and there are some great extra scenes (especially if you were a 4 fan) and the ability to control each party member individually is a lifesaver. Plus I just think she's a great character.

FES has The Answer which isn't bad, though not great to play, but for me I got just as much out of a Let's Play than I did playing it. Vanilla is a hard pass.

So yeah. Female P3P all the way. I hope we get an HD remake with a full world and the female route AND the Answer one day but fingers crossed.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I do find it odd how Reggie has since done an interview wherein he mentioned Joker, but Sakurai still hasn't said a word.

I'm re-playing P3P for the same reason haha.

The quality of life changes in P3P make it a generally better experience to play - ex/ you can control your party members directly, while FES has them act on their own. It also adds a FeMC route who has her own social links and some minor story changes (featuring some Persona 4 fanservice as well), which acts as a sort of canon-AU-thing.

P3FES has better graphics with full 3D renders for all dungeons and areas - while P3P leans into the visual novel elements with only Tartarus (the main dungeon of the game) and certain story areas being in 3D. P3FES also has an epilogue - The Answer. Reviews of it are mixed, but it is canon and does set up a few things if you plan on playing Persona 4 Arena's story.

There are also some weird things about P3 that were fixed in later games - notably, if you plan on befriending a female (in the male route*), then you are going to romance them. There is no rejection here - either cheat on everyone or only befriend one female (there is no Valentine's Day to guilt-trip you, but FES has a jealousy mechanic omitted from Portable). Tartarus is also kind of annoying as a dungeon when compared to the later dungeons - P5 especially, but also P4G.

I definitely would go with P3P myself, but if you're especially concerned with the canon of the games and prefer 3D environments, then P3FES may be a better choice for you. Happy playing and memento mori!

* The FeMC can, thankfully, reject people (and also date Aigis, a female robot).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm re-playing P3P for the same reason haha.

The quality of life changes in P3P make it a generally better experience to play - ex/ you can control your party members directly, while FES has them act on their own. It also adds a FeMC route who has her own social links and some minor story changes (featuring some Persona 4 fanservice as well), which acts as a sort of canon-AU-thing.

P3FES has better graphics with full 3D renders for all dungeons and areas - while P3P leans into the visual novel elements with only Tartarus (the main dungeon of the game) and certain story areas being in 3D. P3FES also has an epilogue - The Answer. Reviews of it are mixed, but it is canon and does set up a few things if you plan on playing Persona 4 Arena's story.

There are also some weird things about P3 that were fixed in later games - notably, if you plan on befriending a female (in the male route*), then you are going to romance them. There is no rejection here - either cheat on everyone or only befriend one female (there is no Valentine's Day to guilt-trip you, but FES has a jealousy mechanic omitted from Portable). Tartarus is also kind of annoying as a dungeon when compared to the later dungeons - P5 especially, but also P4G.

I definitely would go with P3P myself, but if you're especially concerned with the canon of the games and prefer 3D environments, then P3FES may be a better choice for you. Happy playing and memento mori!

* The FeMC can, thankfully, reject people (and also date Aigis, a female robot).
Thanks! I've been leaning towards Persona 3 Portable already seeing as I already own it and I don't wanna have to take a PS3 back to school just for playing the FES version. The Vita is a much simpler resolution and Persona 4 fit SO well on the game. I'm mostly apathetic to the game not allowing me to walk around, that was never such a big deal or part of the game I loved in Persona 4 (I often would just quick select menus in that anyway), so I'm probably going to go for that one. I just hate to miss the animations of the actual scenes, but I think I can at least find the cut scenes online.

Edit: I did mean to mention that I plan on doing the Male run first even if I decide to play through Portable. I've generally heard that it's the better first route to go. Then develop a better appreciation for the female MC. Don't know if that influences anything?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Thanks! I've been leaning towards Persona 3 Portable already seeing as I already own it and I don't wanna have to take a PS3 back to school just for playing the FES version. The Vita is a much simpler resolution and Persona 4 fit SO well on the game. I'm mostly apathetic to the game not allowing me to walk around, that was never such a big deal or part of the game I loved in Persona 4 (I often would just quick select menus in that anyway), so I'm probably going to go for that one. I just hate to miss the animations of the actual scenes, but I think I can at least find the cut scenes online.

Edit: I did mean to mention that I plan on doing the Male run first even if I decide to play through Portable. I've generally heard that it's the better first route to go. Then develop a better appreciation for the female MC. Don't know if that influences anything?
Good plan! Yeah, missing the full cutscenes sucks, but YouTube does exist... Same thing with the Answer IMHO, as it's especially grindy.

Makoto is the canon protag, so he makes sense as the first route - plus, while the female route is better, it does raise logical questions about what was up with Makoto (ex/ the FeMC is the only one who has social links with all party members, so was Makoto actually friends with them?). It doesn't influence anything in my mind - but do be warned that you cannot do a NG+ with a different protagonist. So, you will have to grind through it twice if you want to do both.

Top Bottom