• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
Try using the poses that Smash 3/3C used for their Snakes. I would recommend hopping onto the Discord and asking for permission first.
Thanks for the heads up!

In the end I've pass 2 more day trying different stuff , really wanting to pull this off myself.

I ended up with this, I think it might work!

(sorry for the weird upload site, Imgur didn't seem to work tonight)

https://s11.postimg.io/j2rkj2dmb/Big_Boss_MGS3_WEB.png

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Thanks for the heads up!

In the end I've pass 2 more day trying different stuff , really wanting to pull this off myself.

I ended up with this, I think it might work!

(sorry for the weird upload site, Imgur didn't seem to work tonight)

https://s11.postimg.io/j2rkj2dmb/Big_Boss_MGS3_WEB.png
you could be underestimating yourself, i loved that one and the lighting makes it look like it's an actual MGS3 render.
i also had been wishing for Big Boss CSPs that used the tranq and knife, (except i use Smash 3's and they won't match)

jaystring

Smash Ace
That looks nice. Should work just fine.
Thanks!

you could be underestimating yourself, i loved that one and the lighting makes it look like it's an actual MGS3 render.
i also had been wishing for Big Boss CSPs that used the tranq and knife, (except i use Smash 3's and they won't match)
yeah maybe, or I set quality standard pretty high!

I've tweak the render a little bit and tested it in-game and quite like it now so this is going to be my base for all costumes and i'll be starting tonight to batch render the millions of camo/facepaints.

i'll also test MGS4 snake with this pose and if he works fine, I should be able to upload him soon (MGS4 will probably be ready before MGS3 since it doesn't require all the work related to camos)

I could send my source data to smash 3 people if they show interest in rendering Snake with my pose using their textures and lighting.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I've been busy or I would have offered to help you with these, but they turned out great - that is an awesome crop. I can't wait to see all forty bazillion camos and facepaints now.
Thanks for the offer!

I've finished rendering the 46 camos. only facepaints left. I have to do them 2 times for the bandana and nobandana version.

jaystring

Smash Ace
All right! all facepaints and camo are rendered! only need to crop them correctly and prepare a friendly way to use all the camo and facepaints renders

my quick test to see if my "make your own CSP" idea work seem to be working really really well.

I'll prepare all size correctly so people will only need to overlap images of the camo, facepaint and eyepatch together using an image editing program like photoshop. I'll make a mini tutorial too but it's fairly easy, especially if you have minimal photo editing skills

Also, I wanted a while back to make a good quality MGS1 costumes too but I realized that someone already done that in Brawl Minus.

I really liked the one from Brawl minus so I decided to just update it to my linking by making him a new face texture using MGS3 snake HD texture and making an HD texture for him too.

He's looking like this now.

I wouldn't mind sharing it but I would first need to know who did it and ask if I can have permission to upload it.

I'm pretty happy with how all my snake mods turned up, can't have a cooler costume set for Snake then this!

I've got 2 more MGS mod in progress, will show them when they have progress a bit more!

jaystring

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it was AlGeorgeRomo who made it in Brawl Minus
ok thank for the info!

I'll send him a small PM to see if I have permission to upload my version.

In the mean time, I'm preparing the final stuff for MGS3/MGS4 Snakes. should be uploaded soon!

cramazzratazz

Smash Apprentice
ive literally been up for the past 2 and a half hours, eyes glazed over from sleep deprivation / joy. ive been waiting for a pack like this to come out for snake for years... i mean dont get me wrong, it all started with that camo pack ledge and codex put out forever ago. but this. this is just... oh man. youre a legend in the eyes of those that live on the battlefield, jaystring. when you retire, ill bring flowers to your grave every year.

Chag0

Smash Cadet
This is incredible
And when do you think the updated MGS1 costume is coming? sorry to rush you but your work is too good lol

jaystring

Smash Ace
ive literally been up for the past 2 and a half hours, eyes glazed over from sleep deprivation / joy. ive been waiting for a pack like this to come out for snake for years... i mean dont get me wrong, it all started with that camo pack ledge and codex put out forever ago. but this. this is just... oh man. youre a legend in the eyes of those that live on the battlefield, jaystring. when you retire, ill bring flowers to your grave every year.
haha, Thanks a lot man!

Happy to know you're enjoying it! I put a lot of work on that pack and hours of waiting for all renders to be done.

Now, we desperately need someone to break that cbliss 10 costume slot limit! Someone need to make an simple to use "ASL tool" for characters or something!

This is incredible
And when do you think the updated MGS1 costume is coming? sorry to rush you but your work is too good lol
I was going to share new screenshots of MGS1 snake yesterday but it was getting too late so i'll do it tonight probably.

I've made more progress on it's face texture, it's looking better now. When it's done, I'll render it in my pose too (I'll do Default MGS2 Brawl Snake too BTW)

it's getting close to been done but since it's not my mod, I will need permission to upload it, I don't want to disrespect the original modder who did a great job for this MGS1 skin.

Shren

Smash Journeyman
haha, Thanks a lot man!

Happy to know you're enjoying it! I put a lot of work on that pack and hours of waiting for all renders to be done.

Now, we desperately need someone to break that cbliss 10 costume slot limit! Someone need to make an simple to use "ASL tool" for characters or something!
Funny you mention that with someone making a 20 costume code.

Funny you mention that with someone making a 20 costume code.
Everybody gets excited about this 20 costume code, completely forgetting the lack of cosmetic space their sc_selchar.pac's have for anything past what Project M and cBliss have already added. If they'd ever have to make anything themselves, they'd see why expanding past 10 costumes has been such an issue. Its not just a code, its every single thing the game has to load with it.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Everybody gets excited about this 20 costume code, completely forgetting the lack of cosmetic space their sc_selchar.pac's have for anything past what Project M and cBliss have already added. If they'd ever have to make anything themselves, they'd see why expanding past 10 costumes has been such an issue. Its not just a code, its every single thing the game has to load with it.
yeah I was aware about the 20 costume code but as you said, it's going to be limited in term of cosmetic.

Legacy XP have a really cool alternative and I would very much like to know how they did it technically

They essentially used BrawlEx to create a "fake Clone" that is linked to an already present character and You need to hold "L" to "switch" to that fake clone wich load a whole new set of costume/icons/CSP/etc.

Link and Rob in the present build have this feature and are above 10 costume with all their CSP, BP etc.

Those are some sexy lookin Snakes you got there Jay.
Thanks!!

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
but now theres a solution to reducing the amount of space the costumes take up in the sc_selchar.

yeah I was aware about the 20 costume code but as you said, it's going to be limited in term of cosmetic.

Legacy XP have a really cool alternative and I would very much like to know how they did it technically

They essentially used BrawlEx to create a "fake Clone" that is linked to an already present character and You need to hold "L" to "switch" to that fake clone wich load a whole new set of costume/icons/CSP/etc.

Link and Rob in the present build have this feature and are above 10 costume with all their CSP, BP etc.

Thanks!!
I also like the way that LXP handled costumes, the made it so that the css loads in the result screen portraits which nullifies the need to take up space in the selchar.pac

Superzalguy

Smash Rookie
Hey jaystring may I ask you for a request ?

Can you please import the "Zael trophy" from SSBWIIU over Ike ?
Thanks in advance

DekZek

Smash Journeyman

Thanks in advance
Trophy from SSBU: http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:ZaelTrophyWiiU.png

He's a character in the Last Story for the Wii. Judging from the trophy description the protagonist. If you do use this, the trophy model is most likely ripped directly from the Last Story, so you could either rig it with the SSBU model, or buy a (Probably used) version of The Last Story and directly rip the model from there.

Superzalguy

Smash Rookie
Trophy from SSBU: http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:ZaelTrophyWiiU.png

He's a character in the Last Story for the Wii. Judging from the trophy description the protagonist. If you do use this, the trophy model is most likely ripped directly from the Last Story, so you could either rig it with the SSBU model, or buy a (Probably used) version of The Last Story and directly rip the model from there.
Yes ! That's the exact trophy I need ! I tried importing but I can't because I have no experience in modding . So if "jaystring or anyone can do the trophy or the last story model then please post it here !

DekZek

Smash Journeyman
Yes ! That's the exact trophy I need ! I tried importing but I can't because I have no experience in modding . So if "jaystring or anyone can do the trophy or the last story model then please post it here !
Importing it isn't the issue. SmashU (A lot of games do this to be honest) removes the bones in their trophies to save space. As a result, if you were to want it rigged, first you would need to T-Pose it so it can be rigged onto a skeleton. Jaystring has said that he doesn't do more than one of those jobs at a time, and he already is working on T-Posing Zero. Either that, or you could take the model directly from the game (Which is only really practical if you already have the game), which would already be T-Posed, and would just need to be rigged onto Ike (Judging from their body structures, this would be relatively easy).

jaystring

Smash Ace
Can you share your full-sized renders with us?
yes I can but I have to find a way to upload them because Imgur is very broken these day.

and I might downsize them to 1080p or something. The originals are 4000x3000 but with all camos and stuff it's like 500mb of image

Thanks in advance
I could yes but I don't really know who that character is... i've not played Last Story.

I'll keep it in mind but I don't really take request because if I were to try to do all request I got, I would never ever finish anything.

Sorry about that.

and yes, as other have mentionned, If I were to import that character, I would try to find his file from his own game as the trophy is probably an exact rip from it's own game and trophy don't have bones so they need to be T-posed first, which is a pain to do

I have Zero started as "T-pose project" and the star fox Zero cast as "I would really like to do 1 day"

jaystring

Smash Ace
Quick random question

anybody knows or can pin point me some information about "facial morph" for character Like Link and Ganondorf (essentially making facial expression for Link and Ganondorf) (especially Ganondorf for now lol)

They do not work like Fire Emblem Character where their face get swap with another model using bones, they instead have "facial morph" where the vertex get deform into another face.

I know how morphin works (the concept of it) I'm just not sure how to import them and make sure they work properly in Brawlbox.

Anybody done that!?

jaystring

Smash Ace
also, random thing

I'll be making an update to my very first uploaded mod soon (Captain Toad and Captain Toadette).

I've upgraded to latest ishiiruka build which use dolphin 5.0 (which is totally awesome) and seems like Captain Toad crash sometimes at the beginning of the match on loading pikmin.

I'm suspecting they are way too high res since I did no optimization. So I'll try to fix that soon! (I think he was lagging on Wii too, this update should help)

Superzalguy

Smash Rookie
yes I can but I have to find a way to upload them because Imgur is very broken these day.

and I might downsize them to 1080p or something. The originals are 4000x3000 but with all camos and stuff it's like 500mb of image

I could yes but I don't really know who that character is... i've not played Last Story.

I'll keep it in mind but I don't really take request because if I were to try to do all request I got, I would never ever finish anything.

Sorry about that.

and yes, as other have mentionned, If I were to import that character, I would try to find his file from his own game as the trophy is probably an exact rip from it's own game and trophy don't have bones so they need to be T-posed first, which is a pain to do

I have Zero started as "T-pose project" and the star fox Zero cast as "I would really like to do 1 day"
All right well thank you

jaystring

Smash Ace
Some update!

I edited some more the MGS1 Snake texture. The texture was looking pretty good but I was still feeling something was still wrong.

Here's how he looked like with only the texture update imported on Legacy XP model.

After testing all sort of stuff, I realized that the real issue I had was that Brawl Snake's face model is just not shaped correctly for an MGS1 Snake mod

In fact, they made Snake look older for MGS2 and that showed in it's model with much larger cheek and much bigger chin

I decided to bring the model in 3dsmax and edit his 3d model.

I changed the shape of his face to make him look younger and more similar to the twin snake model. (made his chin smaller, made his cheeks thinner, tweak his mouth shape)

He's looking like this now, which I think is starting to look more like the real MGS1 Snake.

Also, Here a first look of Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf In-game!!

Don't mind the horrible skinning and texture quality. this was just a test to see if my 20 000K triangle model was ok to port to Brawl.

It seem like it's gonna work pretty well!

Like I do with my other mod, I will be making a new texture for him to Brawl-i-fie him but, since he's a high demand import, I will also include his Original texture for people who prefer to have the exact texture from Hyrule Warrior.

Similar to Old Snake, I will make a Wii version that have even more optimization. My optimized model has cut as much triangles as I could before quality drop but he's still a tiny bit too high res for Wii so I will make some visual sacrifice for the Wii version that I didn't want the dolphin version to have.

It's gonna be a "better" wii version then Old Snake as I'll try to not cut any feature like facial expression

Even if I have him in-game already, there's still a lot of work on him to do (good skinning, all his facial expression, working moving eyes, the new texture, the wii version etc) so don't expect him too soon. but it's coming!

Both Mediafire and Dropbox are reliable alternatives. I have a feeling Imgur being broken for you may have more to do with your browser or computer than Imgur itself. My advice is emptying your browser cache or maybe saving all your bookmarks/passwords/etc and giving the browser a complete wipe. Doing this every year or so helps keep everything running newish.

Also, unfortunately, so many sites work way better on Chrome than in Firefox. Every now and again I have to open something in Chrome because some or all of its functionality is unavailable (or simply too much) for Firefox to handle, with everything else its doing in the background.

Cheers, good luck!

Edit: What did you say about importing Venom Snake, I dont remember. In either case, someone uploaded the model here http://thepwa.deviantart.com/art/MG...579264122?q=Xnalara-Customized/43696779&qo=15

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Some update!

I edited some more the MGS1 Snake texture. The texture was looking pretty good but I was still feeling something was still wrong.

Here's how he looked like with only the texture update imported on Legacy XP model.

I think a huge part of the problem is that the texture lacks definition. It makes him look like a babyface, instead of the grizzled beteran who came out of retirement to infiltrate Shadow Moses. While the Smash 3C version of MGS1 Snake isn't perfect, I do think the added detail helps a lot. Still, some slight reshaping to account for a lack of beard would be good, but I'd avoid making him look too young.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Both Mediafire and Dropbox are reliable alternatives. I have a feeling Imgur being broken for you may have more to do with your browser or computer than Imgur itself. My advice is emptying your browser cache or maybe saving all your bookmarks/passwords/etc and giving the browser a complete wipe. Doing this every year or so helps keep everything running newish.

Also, unfortunately, so many sites work way better on Chrome than in Firefox. Every now and again I have to open something in Chrome because some or all of its functionality is unavailable (or simply too much) for Firefox to handle, with everything else its doing in the background.

Cheers, good luck!

Edit: What did you say about importing Venom Snake, I dont remember. In either case, someone uploaded the model here http://thepwa.deviantart.com/art/MGSV-The-Phantom-Pain-Venom-Snake-Venom-579264122?q=Xnalara-Customized/43696779&qo=15
Imgur been broken is related to, weirdly enough, my ISP. I found the thread about it online with people describing exactly the same problem I have. Ive bookmark it to keep track of update. It didn't matter if I used Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer, all of them had problems and ultimately didn't upload anything I tried to upload.

I do have Venom Snake model yeah! (took a look at it and was surprise to see he was about as high res as MGS4 Old Snake)

I'm gonna keep him for later and don't know when I'll import him, he's not part of the 2 other MGS project I talked about but I would be interested in porting him one day.

I think a huge part of the problem is that the texture lacks definition. It makes him look like a babyface, instead of the grizzled beteran who came out of retirement to infiltrate Shadow Moses. While the Smash 3C version of MGS1 Snake isn't perfect, I do think the added detail helps a lot. Still, some slight reshaping to account for a lack of beard would be good, but I'd avoid making him look too young.
I used as main reference the Twin Snake model. Even if he's probably supposed to, he really doesn't look all that old in Twin Snake and has a very "clean" (AKA young looking) face texture.

He does have those cheek "crease" very very apparent in your Smash 3C model but they are very very subtle in twin snake. I have them too on my texture edit but maybe it's just a matter of making them stand out a tiny bit more.

But I do not want to make them as pronounced as your Smash 3C version. He doesn't look like that in Twin Snake, which is the version i'm trying to replicate

It's still a WIP, I'll probably tweak it again once I see it in-game as the in-game lighting etc change the look a bit.

Noskcire

Smash Rookie
jaystring hello congratulations on all the good work, a question open any news about cloud, and as you go with zelda, Palutena, Rosalina, robin ... I e been doing a compilation of several characters wii uploaded on the page, and state the modifying textures and shaders ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom